mvnForum Homepage

Print at Mar 7, 2021 4:15:53 AM
Posts: 902   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 | Next Page | Last Page]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by Kennethc1234 at Aug 19, 2005 10:06:42 AM
Sweet
I think that the colored lamps change to many colors but hey your asking a guy that doesnt have one! lol i just mostly care if they let you be able to cut your hair and grow facial hair and all that
----------------------------------------
Hello My pirate is Kaison

Posted by Faulkston at Aug 19, 2005 10:10:08 AM
Re: Sweet
That would be, *Hyperventilates* Barber shoppes on Ice?

Faulkston,
postcount++ (at least I'm honest about it!)

Posted by Kennethc1234 at Aug 19, 2005 10:10:49 AM
or it could just be on ice first then switch to all of them like housing did

Posted by Faulkston at Aug 19, 2005 10:14:18 AM
That's what the testing Ocean Ice is for.

Faulkston,
shrugging

Posted by Kennethc1234 at Aug 19, 2005 10:15:08 AM
and for furniture you could buy a pair of scissors and set it on a table like candels and cut your hair if you own one!

Posted by trevotillo at Aug 25, 2005 11:30:08 AM
Re:
Parthanos said:

Given the nature of inns, I was also supprised to see that the 'free' form of housing (rooms) was not included as part of their design.

I wasn't. I've too recently seen the unwalkable crowds at the Dragon's Nest Inn...and this is without adding the housing crowd to the normal patrons.
-=Trevotillo / Kickaha=-

...Because Elites shouldn't have to leave their crews for a
better pillage.

Posted by BehindCurtai at Nov 22, 2005 9:07:24 AM
Re: *Hyperventilates* Housing on ice!

Not going to happen. It's not in the plan to ever allow randoms to enter houses when the owner (or a roommate) isn't around. If you want to have a 24-hour party, go buy an inn.

But ... But ... Outside of Cnossos, there just aren't any spare inns to be had.

/em ducks
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

Posted by Tiernan at Nov 22, 2005 9:38:34 AM

Not going to happen. It's not in the plan to ever allow randoms to enter houses when the owner (or a roommate) isn't around. If you want to have a 24-hour party, go buy an inn.

But ... But ... Outside of Cnossos, there just aren't any spare inns to be had.

/em ducks

It took you almost four months to come up with a (not so)witty response to Peghead's post ?

Posted by BehindCurtai at Nov 22, 2005 5:57:47 PM
It took 4 months for the topic to be linked to from another thread and worthy of a bump.

Dylan wrote: 

Posted by fanta at Nov 23, 2005 4:01:25 AM
Did you also see what he said later on?
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya

Posted by BehindCurtai at Nov 23, 2005 7:59:43 PM
Apparently not yet. I read this forum bottom up

Dylan wrote: 

Posted by zehappyball at Jul 17, 2006 9:52:09 PM
i went to the ANTI LIST and it poofed me here about ANYTIME houses

what about a sepret panel for anytime houses so u dont have to deal with the long list of houses

Posted by Faulkston at Jul 17, 2006 9:56:13 PM
The problem is the amount of memory the server would have to reserve to store anytime houses, not just clutter in the client interface.

Faulkston,
:-/

Posted by BehindCurtai at Jul 18, 2006 11:54:52 AM
The basic problem is this:

If a house or stall is "anytime", then it has to always be loaded in server-side memory. That means, in practice, in the server-side swapfile.

For stalls, this isn't a problem -- there are not that many of them. They have "cleanup" mechanisms in place.

For ships, after 15 minutes of non use, the ship is dropped from local memory, and only the database version remains. There is special code to fetch and instantiate the ship from the database before the first pirate goes aboard.

Housing is treated like stalls, not like ships. In order for anytime housing to work, with the current system/code structure, you'd need to have something like the dock interface in there somewhere.

Earlier I mentioned another idea: Have an insulating class in front of the housing classes. When I learned computer science, these were called handles or covers. Any message sent to the handle would first check if the house was loaded; if it was not, it would then load. After that, the message would be forwarded to the real class. It's my understanding (glanced at it breifly) that Java 5 actually put support for that into the language.

(Sadly, they did NOT put it at the JVM where it belongs. They put it at the language library level. The JVM flaw is in
15.12.4.3 Check Accessibility of Type and Method

An implementation of the Java programming language must insure, as part of linkage, that the method m still exists in the type T. If this is not true, then a NoSuchMethodError (which is a subclass of IncompatibleClassChangeError) occurs.

The problem: NoSuchMethodError does not provide any information about what method, or what the arguments were; it is impossible for an exception handler to catch this, and decide at the Java code level how to redirect this message.

and is on the java database here

Oh, and the language support is limited to interface declarations, which is a subset of the full class, and doesn't grow as the class grows.)

Dylan wrote: 

Posted by gusdefrog at Feb 3, 2007 5:20:12 PM
This is the thread that came up with the most relevance regarding whisking and housing, reading through it I'm not sure that's entirely true, but here goes:

I'd like to see us able to whisk to any house we own, in addition to our set "home" that can be at our house, inn, or place we're roommates in. I think it would make it economically feasible to own housing on various islands.

In order to balance that with three rings getting a similar supply of dubloons though, shacks beyond your first might need to have a dubloon cost added to their purchase price.

Thanks again.

Posted by Shuranthae at Feb 3, 2007 6:37:42 PM
I'd really like the ability to inscribe furniture. Or maybe just certain furniture (and you can release new furniture in addition to this, like a signpost or something). For example, you can take a Display Case and inscribe it something like "What do you know about the Voodoo Murders?" and fill it with dolls. Or inscribe a tapestry and hang it next to a door to mark what room it is (instead of using the lame News thingy as a direction/map).

While I'm at it, you should be able to get statues made of your likeness.

Posted by Pauling at Feb 3, 2007 6:56:11 PM
Incribing furniture... sounds a bit like the way you can tag presents. Or were you thinking some other means of display?

(You might also want a way to UNinscribe furniture later, as it's a big-ticket item)

As for housing, I'd really love to see people have a list of which houses they own/are roommates in, even. Sometimes it's easy to forget. (Especially if someone made you a roommate before the "ask first" prompt was added last year)
Pauling of the Lost Lot, Sagemerald
Officer emeritus and occasional cabin person
Puppetar (and drawing of secret Blackthorpe plans) by the talented Tilinka

Posted by Shuranthae at Feb 3, 2007 6:59:31 PM
I was thinking of the way trinkets are inscribed, maybe a bubble icon shows up on furniture like they were a station (by holding the Alt key) and mousing over shows the message or something.

Posted by imwamphyr at Feb 4, 2007 2:08:02 AM
Well, it's an ugly workaround, but...grab one of those one poe/one item bid tickets, and wrap it in a gift, and place the gift next to the furniture you wish you could inscribe (after writing on it's "gift tag").

It's message shows up when you first enter the room, and when you press alt, just like stations do.

I know, it's not what you're looking for. But for now, I like telling everybody that walks into my house that I do indeed suck, that I miss vampyra, and encouraging them to violate shur (using my 3 artistically placed gift boxes).

Bwahaha.
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!

Posted by Cephalopod at Feb 7, 2007 10:42:24 AM

For example, you can take a Display Case and inscribe it something like "What do you know about the Voodoo Murders?"

Drei Drachen kriechen in meinen Schlaf.

Posted by majestrate at Feb 7, 2007 11:09:07 AM

As for housing, I'd really love to see people have a list of which houses they own/are roommates in, even. Sometimes it's easy to forget. (Especially if someone made you a roommate before the "ask first" prompt was added last year)

#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3

Posted by Doogle622 at Feb 7, 2007 8:32:56 PM

For example, you can take a Display Case and inscribe it something like "What do you know about the Voodoo Murders?"

Bad ceph

Endymion wrote: 
Forum rules updated; new rule:

Please keep the forums in the same themes as their oceans. The Opal forums should use German and the Global, Midnight, Cobalt, Viridian, Sage and Hunter forums should use English. Posts which cannot be read by the moderators will be moved.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'd slap you with my fish but it dusted last week
am i bovverd

Qball the lazy Capitan

Valiant Conquerous
What The Falchion

Posted by BehindCurtai at Feb 11, 2007 2:41:18 AM

Ceph wrote: 

Bad ceph

Endymion wrote: 
Posts which cannot be read by the moderators will be moved.

I think that Ceph counts as a moderator, and he (he?) can read it.

Dylan wrote: 

Posted by Cephalopod at Feb 11, 2007 9:29:02 AM

Ceph wrote: 

Bad ceph

Endymion wrote: 
Posts which cannot be read by the moderators will be moved.

I think that Ceph counts as a moderator, and he (he?) can read it.

Wait for the sonic boom; the reference apparently went zooming over a few heads.

Posted by BehindCurtai at May 30, 2007 6:22:54 PM
Bump (And, sonic boom)

I just checked out that wiki link, but it doesn't explain your joke. Translation?

===

I finally realized what I want in furniture / why I don't use it. I want to be able to show it off.

Right now, I can decorate a ship, show it off, and (if AH/consignment shops show up), get my dubs back when I'm done playing with them. The ship won't disapear, the furniture will maintain most of the value, so I can recover easily 90% of my investment.

Houses? First, you lose 75% of the housing cost when you are done playing with the house. Second, there's no way to show them off. You still have no "Permit crew entry when I'm not at home" that I know of. No "Permit jobbers". No "Permit flaggies". No "Permit anyone to enter". (Yes, as mentioned, there's a horrible memory factor unless you "expire" houses after 15 minutes like you expire ships.

So, if I want to make something to show off, why would I use a house? Ships are almost as roomy, much cheaper, and 100% recyclable when you are done or change oceans (dub world).

AH/CS? If we had it, I'd be getting my furniture there. Used furniture doesn't give OOO any income, so it's not a big incentive there. It might result in more people being willing to play with furniture, which in turn sends up the purchase rate slightly.

Dylan wrote: 

Posted by BehindCurtai at Sep 7, 2007 10:42:42 AM
Bump
Could we get "anytime" housing if it was restricted to houses above a certain level? For example, the 4 lowest types of housing can not be "anytime", while the rest can?

(after all, stalls are "anytime", and this prevents all the thousands of shacks...)

(And still waiting for the explanation)

Dylan wrote: 

Posted by SM_Forums at Sep 9, 2007 6:04:33 AM

Bump
Could we get "anytime" housing if it was restricted to houses above a certain level? For example, the 4 lowest types of housing can not be "anytime", while the rest can?

(after all, stalls are "anytime", and this prevents all the thousands of shacks...)

Please explain what "anytime" housing is? You're confusing me.
Swordmaster on Hunter
Timmeh wrote: 
Life is so depressing with pants on.
Current avatar by Tilinka <3
Taking a break.

Posted by rixation at Sep 9, 2007 6:24:07 AM

Bump

Currently, the configuration option is available to allow anyone to enter without knocking, but that only works if the owner or a roommate is present in the house. "Anytime" housing would allow anyone to enter at any time, even if the owner or roommates are offline/not there.
Epimetheus
Retired

Posted by YokoMoko at Sep 9, 2007 6:32:03 AM

Bump

Currently, the configuration option is available to allow anyone to enter without knocking, but that only works if the owner or a roommate is present in the house. "Anytime" housing would allow anyone to enter at any time, even if the owner or roommates are offline/not there.

No, this will stop people from buying their own housing and jsut use other peoples, which would be silly.

On another note, I suggested in another thread about houseboats. New houses in the form of boats, bought in shipyards or built by island owners, different shapes and sizes, can't sail out (Hence it being a boat not a ship) and should have no cargo space. Discuss?
Yokomoko - Hunter

Cairi wrote:

Think of it as foreplay and look forward to the release

Posted by rixation at Sep 9, 2007 6:40:43 AM

No, this will stop people from buying their own housing and jsut use other peoples, which would be silly.

On another note, I suggested in another thread about houseboats. New houses in the form of boats, bought in shipyards or built by island owners, different shapes and sizes, can't sail out (Hence it being a boat not a ship) and should have no cargo space. Discuss?

Please read the rest of the thread...and the other housing suggestion threads for that matter. Anytime housing would have no effect on people buying their own houses. As a visitor, you can't place furniture, access any of the storage items (wardrobe, sword rack, etc), or store poe. IE: you'd be better off just going to the inn.

Oh, and houseboats? Do we really need to go there again?
Epimetheus
Retired

Posts: 902   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 | Next Page | Last Page]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates