mvnForum Homepage

Print at Mar 7, 2021 4:49:18 AM
Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
Posted by Cleaver at Aug 13, 2003 1:04:27 PM
OceanMasters
We are beginning recruitment for our first swathe of part-time, remote OceanMasters (for want of a better name, suggestions welcome). The details are here:

http://www.threerings.net/jobs/

We are obviously hoping that players will apply for these positions. We're not sure how many of these folk we're going to bring on board to start with, but it will be be at least three. It's ideal work for someone who plays a lot of Puzzle Pirates and doesn't, perhaps, have a full-time commitment. That said, you may have to give up some of your PP accolades to prevent any accusations of conflict of interest: right now our thought is that Governorships should not be held by OceanMasters, but that shoppe keeping is probably okay. Just in order to relax in your off-hours you will probably not want to be Captain of a big crew. The OM account will be separate from the player's and obviously carefully monitored.

These are paid positions, with professional expectations. Alas, the pay will not be great to start with, but our coffers are not overflowing. When there's Booty, we'll do some divvying.

If ye have questions that might be well addressed publically please post them here, or email me.

Posted by shockedfrog at Aug 13, 2003 10:23:44 PM
Re: OceanMasters
darn, over 18s only :( I'm guessing this is due to having to agree to certain contracts that aren't legally binding under a certain age or something like that?

Posted by Turk at Aug 13, 2003 11:38:08 PM
Since people are paid, it is a contract, and technically minors cannot enter binding contracts.

Posted by Matthias at Aug 14, 2003 12:02:56 AM
As much as I'd like to have a job, somehow I don't think I've been going long enough.

Damn shame, but there you are.

Matt
----------------------------------------
I took my own advice.

Posted by Cleaver at Aug 14, 2003 12:57:54 AM
Contract
Correctamundo about the contract.

Posted by Kaelan at Aug 14, 2003 2:15:51 PM
Turk wrote: 
Since people are paid, it is a contract, and technically minors cannot enter binding contracts.

Is this true? I've had a paying, legit job since I was 13 (in fact, I was working for the local government, and now I work for a normal business)... or is it more specifically an NDA-style section of the contract?

Posted by Jer at Aug 14, 2003 2:19:43 PM
I believe you can enter a contract with a minor, but it's generally a very bad idea, because there's no guarantees. The minor can just flat out walk and leave you hanging, so it's just not done ^^;
[size=9]I'm Jericho.

Posted by Gotagota at Aug 14, 2003 2:38:30 PM
Contracts with minors are non-binding because the government doesn't recognize a minor's ability to judge rationally. Most kids are fairly easily led, in other words. It's actually for their protection, despite how it looks sometimes.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Posted by cmdrzoom at Aug 14, 2003 5:01:59 PM
More to the point (and I apologize to all you teenagers, but) the Ringers aren't going to put a whole ocean in the hands of a kid, no matter how smart he (or she) may be. Some jobs really do call for an adult.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt

Posted by McDxi at Aug 14, 2003 6:47:29 PM
Gotagota wrote: 
Contracts with minors are non-binding...

More specifically, in the US, they are non-binding on the part of the
minor
, so the minor is free to reject/terminate/ignore any conditions of
the contract at any time, but if the other signatory is a legal entity or
adult, they may still be bound by the contract :)

Yet another fun legality I learnt in Mock Trial.

Posted by Kaelan at Aug 14, 2003 6:53:44 PM
cmdrzoom wrote: 
More to the point (and I apologize to all you teenagers, but) the Ringers aren't going to put a whole ocean in the hands of a kid, no matter how smart he (or she) may be. Some jobs really do call for an adult.

While I definitely agree with you on that point, I have met many people well over the age of 18 who act like children, and people under that age who act like adults.

You do not magically become an adult when you reach age 18.

The contractual issues make a lot of sense though. I never know contracts worked that way for people under 18.

Posted by Squidbeard at Aug 14, 2003 10:02:03 PM
Kaelan wrote: 
You do not magically become an adult when you reach age 18.

That's certainly true, though as far as the law is concerned, you do magically become responsible for your actions at that time. With luck, you've figured out not to cross against the lights, and not to give your banking information to the nice general from Nigeria, before then.

[size=9]With this kind of cheery attitude and helpful demeanor, I'm a shoo-in for OceanMaster...

--Sq
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis

Posted by Matthias at Aug 15, 2003 1:51:48 AM
A possible name for the OceanMasters: Blackbirds.

Stemming from the believed source of the old rhyme "Sing a Song of Sixpence", as a recruiting song for Blackbeard.

What do you think?

Matt
I took my own advice.

Posted by homullus at Aug 15, 2003 2:02:37 AM
I was thinking the name should be shorter, like Sea Dogs (probably a lawsuit waiting to happen) or Sea Salts. Or Salty Dogs. Or Harbormasters, which isn't shorter. I just like the veteran-osity factor. OceanMaster sounds a little less accessible because oceans are big and impersonal and stuff.

Posted by muffy at Aug 15, 2003 2:34:45 AM
Reviewed Bloodymary's sea terms and came up with a few, plus some of me own:

Admirals (hints at admirable)
Masters at Arms (amusing acronym MA)
Sea Lawyers ("Rules Lawyers")
Skippers (as distinguished from Captain, but still indicating in charge)
Lieutenants (a rank, and has a connotation of delegated authority)
Ringmasters (Three Rings, running a circus, etc.)
Ringleaders (troublemakers! *grin*)
Commodore, Commander, Lieutenant Commander (various unused ranks)
Cruise Directors (here to make sure everyone has fun)
Helmsmen (steering)
Lookouts (watch for trouble at sea)
Shore Patrol (watch for trouble on shore)

In me search for good names, I came across this fine page of links (down at the bottom) to pirate information.

Posted by Anonymous at Aug 15, 2003 2:52:30 AM
IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), but, I know this has been said, but I'll just confirm it. The major problem you run into is the fact that a contract with a minor isn't binding. This gives major problems for Three Rings. In addition, in many states, people under the age of 16, sometimes 17, need to get a letter from a possible employer, and then they must get a work permit from a local school. This is assuming the booty would be above the table of course. Both of these give pretty major problems in terms of how simple it would be to employ a minor across the country.

Posted by akebia at Aug 15, 2003 2:53:53 AM
Matthias wrote: 
Stemming from the believed source of the old rhyme "Sing a Song of Sixpence", as a recruiting song for Blackbeard.

Oh no. You've been misled by this page, haven't you? It looks mighty and factual, but be sure to click on the link "More Information About This Page".

You have sadly been taken in by an object lesson-- or by someone else who has. Believe me, there are plenty of previously respectable sources that didn't read the fine print when they quoted this story.

[size=9](Hey, this is my one hundredth post!)

Posted by Matthias at Aug 15, 2003 3:10:00 AM
Dammit!

I thought there may be something wrong with the story when I saw someone saying it may actually refer to musicians.

How much of Snopes is inaccurate?

Matt
I took my own advice.

Posted by garf at Aug 15, 2003 3:40:05 AM
a major question for me - how flexible would the shifts be? would it work like "arr aye, i can do this and that time, but i cant there" - " aye fine" or rather like "ye gotta be here then and then and then"?
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others

Posted by MMM at Aug 15, 2003 3:59:45 AM
akebia wrote: 

[size=9](Hey, this is my one hundredth post!)

Yarrr! Rum for everyone on ye? :-p *starts splashing rum on akebia*
BM
Lady of Apparel Barrel
Snr. Officer of ARR, Old Spice
Master Mariner of Skillful Mackerel
ARR!: All Rates Reserved!

Posted by Sugarpie at Aug 15, 2003 4:03:18 AM
I used to be a major proponent of the "why are you discriminating against my super-mature 16/17 year old self you dirty rotten bastards" argument. Now I realize that I was a stupid kid 3 years ago and that my maturity level has quadrupled, and yes I had a job then too. The fact of the matter is that adults don't want to be told what to do by kids, no matter how mature they are :) If I had some 16 year old trying to tell me that I was supposed to do I'd be like /ignore on. There will be plenty of in-game Customer Service oportunities when you do hit 18, so no rush.

Sugarpie
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

Posted by homullus at Aug 15, 2003 4:16:58 AM
Aye, though of course nobody would KNOW the age of the customer service representative in the game, so it wouldn't be a question of lack of respect due to age-ism.

The contract reason is the best (and only objective) reason not to have younger folks doing it, but quite frankly, the younger you are, the more likely you are to find yourself "frozen" in the face of an unfolding situation, either going along with the closest strong personality or doing nothing at all.

My current job is similar to this one; 99% of the time you are facing very minor (and often very similar) concerns and questions, but 1% of the time you have to oh-so carefully navigate some very intense situations. I'm glad I have some experience to fall back on.

Posted by muffy at Aug 15, 2003 6:49:23 AM
enough time?
No more than four hours a day, and presumably not every day? Heck, I spend that much time on Y!PP now, and I have a full-time job and a life and everything. When I was in high school, I had quite a bit more than four free hours per day. When I was in college (both under and over 18), I spent many more than four hours a day online playing games and interacting with people.

Posted by Devonin at Aug 15, 2003 7:09:03 AM
I assume at some point the devs will be approcahing likely applicants to have some sort of interview?? or are you planning on hiring just on the basis of qualifications?

Posted by Cleaver at Aug 15, 2003 12:41:02 PM
Interview
We'll interview people, aye.

Posted by junbug178 at Aug 16, 2003 12:54:20 AM
I'm interested...
I'm interested...

Posted by akebia at Aug 16, 2003 4:39:36 AM
Matthias wrote: 
How much of Snopes is inaccurate?

Very, very little. Just the section titled "The Repository of Lost Legends", or "TROLL". In their legitimate section, they also have a cute article about some cable TV show on the topic of urban legends that fell for this story and, upon being mocked, quickly changed the episode for reruns.

MMM wrote: 

Ow, quit it! Fine, this is Post 101. Now I have to dry off.

Posted by crowsdiamond at Aug 16, 2003 8:29:42 AM
Wow, I truly wish I had the time to do this. I already answer more questions than you can imagine, and I do it for FREE! But I can't even consider applying, because it would mean giving up the PPA, and they have me ol' teachers' heart in their hands. *grin* Good luck in findin the right mateys!

[size=9]psst.. hey, the Squiddle would make a GREAT one, eh?
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!

Posted by MMM at Aug 16, 2003 6:19:58 PM
akebia wrote: 

MMM wrote: 

Ow, quit it! Fine, this is Post 101. Now I have to dry off.

Didn't meant to "hurt" ye... it was more of a sprinkle. (my bad) :-/ The least I can do is let me have ye dry cleaning bill...

Champangne anyone?
BM
Lady of Apparel Barrel

Posted by McUsher at Aug 17, 2003 8:25:32 PM
I won't apply for one of the jobs, as i have a decent one :)

I'd only like to suggest a player to player help system
like that one, that could be found in DaoC:
After doing well in puzzles, yer may flag yerself as advisor
and "noobs" can question theses self flagged advisors.
This may free time up from the payed game-masters so
they can focus on other things..

Just as an idea, so i could bring in me helping skills without
having to apply for a real job..

(p.s.: this is me first post, because i read much and only post,
if i really have somethin' to say ;) )

Posted by LetterAfterZ at Aug 18, 2003 12:37:37 AM
I'm interested but probably not qualified in terms of game experience, i'm assuming you would be seeking applicants who are familiar in all areas of gameplay?
I have no experience in captaining a ship, or running a shop, and only know what i do know about these things from what i've read on the site and the forums.
--------
Laz in-game

Posted by Squidbeard at Aug 18, 2003 1:07:43 AM
Instant qualification!
I'd like to nominate anyone who can handle Ursaboi as a good candidate for OceanMaster. I know I've typed up two replies now, and thrown both of them away as excessively harsh.

Well, not really excessive by my reckoning, but probably excessive by community standards...

[size=9]I can never tell when Faile is kidding. Thanks for the plug, either way. No publicity is bad publicity!

--Sq
Squid

Posted by Gotagota at Aug 18, 2003 7:29:36 AM
Squiddles, I couldn't tell if she was kidding either...
Squidbeard wrote: 
I'd like to nominate anyone who can handle Ursaboi as a good candidate for OceanMaster. I know I've typed up two replies now, and thrown both of them away as excessively harsh.

I've done my part already. Now to determine whether or not the game is actually down.*

Perhaps I'll macro my friend cheddar's response for use when I suspect bridge dwellers.

*- [size=9]By which I mean I've done what I have the authority to do as yet, and shall post a reply to his topical query in questions, questions when I am able to determine more information. I think I'll use my tech support mode: "Sir, can you follow the wires coming out of your modem?" Bwahaha.
Fronsac, human.

Posted by queendaedra at Aug 19, 2003 6:35:19 AM
Interested
I am interested in the position, and completed the process to apply. I am not sure the amount of time you are looking for as far as game time.

Daedra

Queen of the Black Plague
Captain of the First Circle of Hell
Daedra

"Eternity has come and gone, and she still holds me true"

Posted by lotr at Aug 19, 2003 9:05:01 AM
Go Deadra Go Daedra, Its you birfday. Gahh sorry little outburst but i hope you get it anyway.(Kellerjudo)

Posted by Meghaford at Aug 20, 2003 12:35:15 AM
My thoughts on the ocean master Title...

Corsair - Definition is 1. A pirate, especially along the Barbary Coast.
2. A swift pirate ship, often operating with official sanction.

Albatross - The Albatross has long been a creature of reverence and superstition. Well before Coleridge penned his 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner', seafarers believed that when their captains died their souls took the form of an albatross to wander the oceans forever.

The Royal Albatross, one of the largest seabirds, is a gliding phenomenon. It regularly circumnavigates the globe, sometimes aloft for days on end. Ranging effortlessly on the prevailing winds, it spends little more than a tenth of its long life on land.

I love the symbolism of the albatross, and it seems to fit quite nicely into the role that the ocean masters will play.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...

Posted by Seltzer at Aug 20, 2003 1:15:48 AM
I'm enjoying the concept of the Ocean Master position, but would this be setup for just being another pirate for the player or a completely seperate login? I'm assuming a seperate login if you are getting rid of multiple pirates for the accounts.

Also, as with some of the others, I currently have a full time job and would unfortunately not be able to join in on this venture. But would enjoy some setup as they have had in DAOC, UO, etc.. where players of the game are setup with some sort of Helper status or as someone that you can just go to for information about puzzles, etc.. if the small number of Ocean Masters are busy. Of course it seems most players seem to be fairly apt to helping out if they have time, I'm more worried about the new players that don't want to just run up and ask anyone in the game for some reason or another but will ask people that it says are there to answer questions.
Because "when you're a professional pirate... you don't have to wear a suit."

-Seltz
In Googlis non est, ergo non est

Posted by Fishtie at Aug 20, 2003 1:44:06 AM
Possible Titles
The positions are intriguing... I also wish I had the extra time to give it a shot. But a 40 hour week will do that to ye.

Have ye considered the following titles:

Commodore
Admiral (vice, rear or otherwise)
Flag Officer (vague, but somewhat appropriate)
Island hopper

Just depends on what yer looking fer.

-Ghoti
Ghoti
Swordsman, Cult of the Red Mantis
Sublimely Mirthful [size=9](void where prohibited)
Proud wearer of The Useless Stamp of Approval (tm)

Posted by razorace at Aug 20, 2003 9:21:28 AM
I happen to have the time and would love to get addition experience within the gaming industry.

However, I do have a couple of questions:

1. The jobs page says that the application deadline was yesterday. Are you still accepting applications?

2. Is there an broadband internet connection requirement? I'm only on a dial up at the moment so that's a consideration before I can apply.

Posted by Cleaver at Aug 20, 2003 6:03:45 PM
OM
Applications are indeed closed for now (although we will be accepting more later). I am going through the applications, which is taking a while as there are nearly 70 of them. Thanks to everyone who applied, it's going to be tough to pick, so please don't be upset if you don't make it this time.

And no, you wouldn't need broadband.

Posted by Sagittary at Aug 21, 2003 12:39:07 AM
Dunce cap
I suppose I'll be the dunce and ask the question that will most likely come up: what if someone wants to update/correct their application (either for this round or for the next if they already applied)?
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion

Posted by razorace at Aug 21, 2003 2:17:27 AM
Ok, well, I'll quickly make my suggestions and wait for the next round.

I'm going to suggest "Masters of the Marque" for the GMs. Yes, it's complicated and probably not a correct usage of the term. But, it does refer directly to the famed "Letters of Marque" of pirating AND has an abbrevation of "MoM".

Wouldn't that be great? Whenever a pirate is in trouble, he calls for his "MoM". :D

Anyway, my first gameplay suggestion would be to add a total remaining pirates counter to the sword battles. That way you could tell how well your team is going at a glance even in a huge sword battle.

Posted by queendaedra at Aug 21, 2003 2:45:02 AM
I wanted to update as well
Sag and Razor

I also would like to update my app, but I guess we must be fair and wait eh? I thought of a million ideas after the fact. Harr... :)
Daedra

Posted by aameul at Aug 21, 2003 3:44:26 AM
Re: I wanted to update as well
queendaedra wrote: 
Sag and Razor

I also would like to update my app, but I guess we must be fair and wait eh? I thought of a million ideas after the fact. Harr... :)

Har, just think of it as interview fodder, Daedra ;)

Posted by MMM at Aug 22, 2003 8:56:29 PM
Here's my two coffers worth...

Mots (sounds like Mods)

Master Of The Seas

Those who qualifies as Player Experience Manager are usually Masters of the seas. They excelled in and are experts of their "trade".
BM
Lady of Apparel Barrel

Posted by hootymcboob at Aug 25, 2003 2:27:56 AM
Not intrested in helping others but idea for admins=peglegsAnd on a different note u add peglegs to any event to make it fun : )
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, But today is a gift, That's why we call it the Present.

Posted by muffy at Aug 26, 2003 11:53:26 PM
naming
Lifeguards?

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 1, 2003 5:15:23 AM
Just an idea
Since I don't want to annoy anyone with any more emails I figured I would post my idea here. I think that some holds should be lockable, so that when Senior Officers and Captains stockpile goods or large amounts of poe the ship can not leave and nothing can be traded. I also think that the crew account should be accessed for deposits only from the ships (when ported only) That way we dont have to do trades from one officer to another unless you want to. It also prevents people from putting money in their personal accounts and forgetting to give it to the Captain. :)

Just a few a thoughts.
Daedra

Posted by phoenix42 at Sep 1, 2003 7:58:12 AM
good idea, and no reason why not, but the list be bloated it be
[size=13]Crackles
Kage Bunshin vs Sharingan!!!

Posted by meiadm at Sep 1, 2003 5:32:44 PM
umm... why is this underneath announcements ? - this suits game design a lot better
Frizzan - Gone for good

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 2, 2003 1:44:14 AM
meiadm wrote: 
umm... why is this underneath announcements ? - this suits game design a lot better

frizzan you be nice! The reason it is here is because I applied for the position and I want the Ringers to notice my dear. SEcondly as bogged down as the forums are they might easily lose themselves in the posts for days never really finding anything pertinent. So that is why. :)
Daedra

Posted by akebia at Sep 2, 2003 2:57:27 AM
queendaedra wrote: 
The reason it is here is because I applied for the position and I want the Ringers to notice my dear.

That is a horrible reason. Let nobody else follow Daedra's example.

queendaedra wrote: 
SEcondly as bogged down as the forums are they might easily lose themselves in the posts for days never really finding anything pertinent.

One reason the forums get bogged down is that people post things in the wrong area, ruining the pleasant system that lets people know where to look. Another reason forums get bogged down is that people post suggestions that have been covered quite thouroughly before, such as this one. Amidst all this chaos, some people try in vain to keep things tidy when one of those two things happens. Sometimes people take offense. That sometimes sends the whole thread off the rails, bogging down forums in a third way.

But, really:

If you want the Ringers to read a post, all you need to do is post it in the proper place. They might not respond to every thread, especially those that are well-answered by other posters, but everything does get read. Post where you're supposed to and keep the boards tidy. Everything else will work itself out.

Posted by garf at Sep 2, 2003 3:30:53 AM
and ye didnt even read the application requirements thoroughly...

if i may quote:

At least one concrete suggestion for a way we can improve the player experience through good customer service. Event ideas etc. would be an example, but other more systemic examples are also encouraged.

(emphasis by me)

i would say that bingo-booching (wrong board, wrong topic for application, suggestions old and long discussed and on the list, not sent in application mail) is a really piratey thing for someone applicating as ocean master. ;)

and yes, i'm guilty of posting this primarily to get to apply the term bingo-booching. i admit it. i could not resist.
- Randal

Posted by queendaedra at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM
I take responsibility for posting incorrectly here, but I must say I was truly hurt by the unwarranted attack. I think it is important that we try to be sensitive to all people's feelings whether in the forum or within the game itself, because Puzzle Pirates is a family oriented game which reaches out to all people from all walks of life including children and young adults.

I apologize to the Ringers for posting to this forum incorrectly and will watch where I post more carefully.
Daedra

Posted by meiadm at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM
I know I already apologized in-game, but I might as well put it here too - I was just making an observation, and had no intention at all of hurting anyone.

I usually base my posts on logic and fact, but I can't be sure that I won't step someone over the toes in doing so.

Me apologies, to ye yer highness.
Frizzan - Gone for good

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 3, 2003 1:16:48 AM
I know you did Frizzan and I was teasing with you don't worry you are a wonderful mate and very helpful. :) It wasn't your post that I was referring too.
Daedra

Posted by garf at Sep 3, 2003 1:29:13 AM
harr.. i imagine ye didnt see the extra text in me posting then. no offense, lass.
- Randal

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 3, 2003 3:37:26 AM
Aye Garf I did not no worries mate .. It was really the other person's post Akelbia (sp) that I found inapropriate.
Daedra

Posted by akebia at Sep 3, 2003 6:24:30 AM
queendaedra wrote: 
It was really the other person's post Akelbia (sp) that I found inapropriate.

Sorry. While I don't agree with the thought, I understand that some folks are using posts to this thread to augment their resume. I should have been more aware of that (not only while figuring out your tone in your response to Frizzan, but also while writing my response) and I'm sorry for having caused you any embarrassment.

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 3, 2003 1:27:33 PM
Apology accepted and like I said I talk full reponsibility for my posting incorrectly.. and I was not angry with Frizza.. but I can see how it might have come across that way .. I bid ye all adieu
Daedra

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 3, 2003 1:27:58 PM
Apology accepted and like I said I talk full reponsibility for my posting incorrectly.. and I was not angry with Frizza.. but I can see how it might have come across that way .. I bid ye all adieu
Daedra

Posted by AngelicVamp at Sep 8, 2003 10:31:59 PM
Wow... it's nice to see actually civil people on the forum, doesn't really look like much moderation is needed... I applied for the job, would be kind of nice to get it.

Posted by dnxthx at Sep 8, 2003 11:09:10 PM
AngelicVamp wrote: 
Wow... it's nice to see actually civil people on the forum, doesn't really look like much moderation is needed... I applied for the job, would be kind of nice to get it.

Elsewhere in this thread, Cleaver suggested that he already e-mailed the OMs. Perhaps you'll get it next time?
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM

Posted by IcabobFreely at Sep 9, 2003 3:31:14 PM
Ocean Masters
I'm very interested in this position. I presently spend at least 10 hours a day on my computer, not to mention that my computer is connected 24/7. Being a "stay home" dad does have an advantage or two.
Icabob of The Midnight Sun
And remember...
When you're having a really bad day, it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 4 muscles to extend your finger and flip them off.

Posted by Cleaver at Sep 10, 2003 5:30:03 PM
Moderation
You will note that OceanMasters are listed as Moderators on all forums now. We have engaged our first troop and are gradually fitting them out for service. You may notice them beginning to make their presence felt on the forums, but there'll be no in-game deubt until next week, most likely.

We'll make the introductions then.

Posted by garf at Sep 10, 2003 9:44:11 PM
hrm... /me looks at moderator listings, rubs his eyes, looks again..

nope, no new moderators.
- Randal

Posted by Lizzie at Sep 10, 2003 9:53:20 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Heh.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

Posted by Hanzii at Sep 10, 2003 10:04:30 PM
Yarr!
The only player moderators listed are Gotagota and me. I don't know about Fronsac, but I'm certainly no Oceanmaster.
(I never applied - US wages and Danish taxes just doesnt combine very well)
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle

Posted by Gotagota at Sep 10, 2003 11:18:55 PM
I picked meteorology over divination. I think it works...
Hanzii wrote: 
(I never applied...)

Hanzii, that's terrible! I'd've pegged you in a heartbeat. Har, it seems everyone I would have thought at first was wrong.

Meteorology: Job Market
Gotagota -- Booched!
Fronsac, human.

Posted by Cedric at Sep 10, 2003 11:42:11 PM
Re: Moderation
Cleaver wrote: 
You will note that OceanMasters are listed as Moderators on all forums now. We have engaged our first troop and are gradually fitting them out for service. You may notice them beginning to make their presence felt on the forums, but there'll be no in-game deubt until next week, most likely.

We'll make the introductions then.

Does that mean the next update isn't coming until next week now?
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash

Posted by homullus at Sep 11, 2003 2:17:56 AM

Har, it seems everyone I would have thought at first was wrong.

Who did you think would apply?

Posted by burrito at Sep 11, 2003 2:38:37 AM
It's unfortunate that I wasn't actually playing puzzle pirates when the job position became available, but if you need help in the future, I'll be sure to apply as I have a weird schedule that I'm sure no one else has. :D
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29

Posted by Switchblade at Sep 11, 2003 2:58:18 AM
Hiring ocean-masters
It almost seems as though there is implication that more Ocean Masters will be hired in the future, is this the near future? I unfortunately got my app in too late it looks like, but I am hopeful of a second round pick.

Any ideas on when three rings will be hiring more Ocean Masters, if at all?

P.S. I'll bake you all 10 batches of Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies when I get picked in the second round!! Lol....j/k : P

Posted by Aur at Sep 11, 2003 3:03:14 AM
I'm sure they'll take more applications. The turnover for this might be kind of high and there is are great plans for expansion so they'll need more if not replacements. I sure hope so. I would love to have this position and I myself would have applied but I want to actually PLAY the game to its fullest.

Being an OM would be too limiting and there's just too much potential for conflicts of interest. So I plan to play the heck out of the game for a bit. Hopefully, I can apply at a later time since I sort of have a background suited for this kind of thing.

Best of luck to those who got it.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes

Posted by Aur at Sep 11, 2003 3:05:12 AM
Oh and I just spotted that Demeter has a green name now in the list of who's browsing what forum. So they aren't listed, but they are mods. Anyone else spot names that are Green now?
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes

Posted by Switchblade at Sep 11, 2003 3:08:59 AM
best of Luck
Yes indeed, best of luck for those who made it!! I wished i had mentioned that before = )

May a strong wind be at yer back and may the tides favor ye on yer new found quest.

Good Hunting = )

Posted by Demeter at Sep 11, 2003 3:09:01 AM
Aur wrote: 
Oh and I just spotted that Demeter has a green name now in the list of who's browsing what forum. So they aren't listed, but they are mods. Anyone else spot names that are Green now?

Spotted! Have one of Switchblade's cookies...
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

Posted by captainjenn at Sep 11, 2003 3:09:57 AM
Agreed, I would have liked to have applied as I feel that I've gained a significant amount of knowledge of the game thus far.

I'd even be willing to step down as captain of my crew and move my first mate up. :)
Jennbits
Booty Buccaneers - Captain

Posted by Aur at Sep 11, 2003 3:10:04 AM
Demeter wrote: 
Aur wrote: 

Spotted! Have one of Switchblade's cookies...

However, I am guessing that Demeter is simply an alias to protect the innocence of your normal playing name. Seeing as you only have 3 posts and I've never seen the name before. ;)
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

Posted by Switchblade at Sep 11, 2003 3:12:46 AM
Clever Clever
I thinik it was Mrs. Plumb, with the lead pipe, in the ball room.

*Switchblade strokes his non-existant goatee in ponderation*

Posted by Sagittary at Sep 11, 2003 4:06:06 AM
Mod Sighting
Ooo ooo! I found another one! Mnemonsyne... or something like that (spelling's probably off). Do I get a noprize whitespot? :D
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion

Posted by homullus at Sep 11, 2003 4:21:20 AM
Interesting choice of moderator names.

Classics pop quiz: Name one Greek goddesses more famous than her children.

Posted by Gotagota at Sep 11, 2003 6:12:27 AM
hehe...me rewarding you. see, it's funny!
Very slick. Color me approved.

As a reward I'll be posting some (two) cooperative game puzzle concepts* I had since being turned toward the idea. Today. Before I log in. [edit: Well, one of them anyway. the other later. Booty called]

*- [size=9]Concepts, first...er...second drafts of gameplay and some thoughts. Maybe even some of my reasoning behind the genesis of the idea. Depends on how much I feel like rambling.
Fronsac, human.

Posted by Ely at Sep 11, 2003 1:22:46 PM
homullus wrote: 
Classics pop quiz: Name one Greek goddesses more famous than her children.

Are you sure you got that right? Aren't a lot of them far more popular than their offspring? (Hera, with many children, comes to mind)

At any rate, I give. What's the answer?

Posted by homullus at Sep 11, 2003 1:43:43 PM
I honestly couldn't think of any clear-cut instances, it was kind of a trick question.

You COULD argue that Demeter is more famous than Persephone (she had a big cult following in RL), but her daughter has the whole pomegranate thing and gets all the press in myth.

Hera . . . I dunno. Maybe. Her son Hephaestus gets talked about a lot more by people, and Ares is minor but ubiquitous.

The point is more that the MOST famous Greek goddesses are the ones without children . . . like Athena and Artemis.

Posted by Ely at Sep 11, 2003 2:01:43 PM
Yeah, I get you. I was about to suggest Athena, actually, until I tried looking up her daughters -- and found she had none.

Posted by BrokenShard at Sep 11, 2003 2:34:25 PM
I think getting swallowed by the bowels of hell and being able to return from it every summer (or something like that) classifies you as famous...what the heck did Demeter do?

Plus Aphrodite is pretty famous....or at least pretty

-Faldez
~Faldez the Urchin of Former Legend

Posted by Demeter at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM
BrokenShard wrote: 
I think getting swallowed by the bowels of hell and being able to return from it every summer (or something like that) classifies you as famous...what the heck did Demeter do?

-Faldez

Goddess of the earth/nature, the underworld (before Persephone took over that role), and fertility.

Made it possible for Persephone to return by preventing the earth from bearing crops and people from reproducing, thereby forcing Zeus and the other gods to give in to my wishes as mankind was endangered. Invented agriculture, and the seasons.

Persephone just managed to get herself kidnapped & then took sweets from strangers - I'd warned her about that...
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

Posted by homullus at Sep 11, 2003 10:16:34 PM
Aphrodite would be another candidate, though her son is Cupid.

In RL, Demeter had a HUGE cult following for a while. The cult was a "mystery" cult (so called because people were forbidden to speak of it once in), where people saw *something* during initiation that was supposed to make their afterlife better. This was an innovation on current Greek religion, which was all about appeasing gods so they didn't smite you (if you were a believer) or so that you were doing what everyone else did (if you, like most people, weren't) . . . standard Greek view on the afterlife was that it sucked and you couldn't do much other than walk around and be cold with a bunch of other shades. So, an upgrade from that would be nice.

Professor Homullus R. Pirate, ABD.

Posted by Hanzii at Sep 12, 2003 6:48:40 AM
Eris, Poseidon, Demeter and Menemosyne and with a nice private forum to talk about us in, as well ;-)

When's the proper introduction?
And since I'd be mighty surprised if the OMs wasn't long time members of the community, I'd like to know whether keeping the the secret identities secret is a requirement for the job or up to the individual.

Posted by Poseidon at Sep 12, 2003 7:21:46 AM
Hanzii wrote: 
And since I'd be mighty surprised if the OMs wasn't long time members of the community, I'd like to know whether keeping the the secret identities secret is a requirement for the job or up to the individual.

As you said we're long time members and for that reason we're not interested in getting recognized, so we can actually play the game as well.

Posted by Hanzii at Sep 12, 2003 7:34:57 AM
Poseidon wrote: 

As you said we're long time members and for that reason we're not interested in getting recognized, so we can actually play the game as well.

Isn't that what alts are for?

And, not really an answer to my question, but I'll interpret it as 'individual choice' on your part so far.
I find it somewhat bothersome, to talk to somebody (or see them post on the forums) and not knowing, whether they're somebody I'd had a lot of previous interaction with under a different name. If you post using both your OM account and your old account, things get really messy.

but please, the emphasis is on 'somewhat'. I don't agree with the decision, but it won't keep me awake at nights... or for that many minutes more, if I don't go make some coffee.

As OMs, you will ofcourse be judged solely on what you do and I trust the Ringers judgment. But good luck, nonetheless.

Posted by Cleaver at Sep 12, 2003 7:49:19 AM
OM identity
I don't think it's wise for OM's to have their real pirate identities disclosed. It might lead to accusations of favouristism or attempts at wheedling out favours. Besides, OM's aren't really there to hang out with their old pals -- that's what old pal characters are for. They are mostly there to help new (and established) players with problems.

Posted by burrito at Sep 12, 2003 8:29:11 AM
Let's face it, the people that are OMs now are probably people that we already considered to be leaders in the community. I also have a problem with the identity masking because I like to think of us as a somewhat tight-knit community. There were only 3-4 positions available and I'm sure no one doubts that you picked the people that were best prepared to fill those positions.

And heck, even if people did cry favoritism, so what? Tell them to grow up. 90% of people get their jobs because their friend hooked them up with it. If they want to cry favoritism, they might as well blame it on the way the world works.

I think they should use their former names. :/

Posted by Cleaver at Sep 12, 2003 8:57:09 AM
Benefit?
I can't see any benefit to disclosing OM identity and I can see lots of potential problems, mostly people pestering OM's in their 'civvies' and so forth.

Posted by garf at Sep 12, 2003 9:01:54 AM
of course, i see that reasoning.

however, i think hanziis question is kinda relevant. if i ask me closest ingame mates if they be ocean masters, would they be forced to lie? or is it just not *recommended* to tell anyone?
- Randal

Posted by Squidbeard at Sep 12, 2003 9:07:49 AM
Nope. Anonymity is good.
I'm behind Cleaver on this one. I keep an unknown alt for those nights when I just don't feel like dying the death of a thousand /tells, and I'm just first officer of a decent-sized (and outstanding, may I add) crew.

I can't imagine what it would be like for these folks to have to deal with support issues 24/7. There's simply no way that people would honor any request to keep OOC requests away from the in-game characters.

I didn't apply for the OM positions, though I did give it a fair bit of thought. But if I knew that everyone would know that Squiddles was an OM, and that every time I logged in to take care of Orange Rev errands I'd be bombarded with support /tells, and that when I said I wasn't dealing with that stuff from this character I'd get a nonstop stream of flames for it (and you can't tell me that's not exactly what would happen), there's no way in the great salty sea that you'd get me within ten leagues of that job.

I've been around long enough to know that the Ringers know what they're doing, and there are a lot of test players (alpha- and beta-) who know what they're doing, and I trust that everyone involved is going to do a bang-up job. New players: all I can ask is that you take my word -- these people are good, in both the technical and social senses of the word. Without a facade of anonymity, there's no way an OM could enjoy the game as a player, and hence no way to get a good player to take that job.

To whomever our new OMs are (and I honestly haven't figured it out yet, though it's a puzzle I'm enjoying): me hat's off to ye!

--Sq

Edit: Doesn't it just figure that in the time it takes me to type up a book, Cleaver makes the same argument in two lines?
Squid

Posted by Cleaver at Sep 12, 2003 2:00:11 PM
Bashful Debut
Poseidon and Artemis are putting in a stealth appearance this evening / tomorrow to help out with the RR Bash around Gaea. Pay no attention to the gods behind the curtain.

Posted by cmdrzoom at Sep 12, 2003 3:26:10 PM
I guess I don't understand why Hanzii (or anyone else) would want to know the identity of the Ocean Masters, familiar or not. Is it that you don't feel you can trust them unless you can associate them with a known, trusted name? Is it simple "here's a secret, I must know it" curiousity? Maybe it's the same impulse that keeps people crunching numbers and trying to peek behind the curtain that the admins have deliberately set up to keep the game's workings abstract, and thus more fun.

Let the Ocean Masters do their jobs in anomynity and peace, I say.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt

Posted by Hanzii at Sep 12, 2003 5:35:02 PM
Please don't make me the bannerleader for exposing the OMs. I'd never expose their identities, if I found out/guessed, if they want to keep it private, just like there's a few alts out there I'm not revealing.

I was merely asking a question. I feel the opposite of Cleaver and find no need for secrecy, but as I allready said - it's no biggie to me.

Posted by burrito at Sep 12, 2003 6:26:32 PM
Hanzii wrote: 
Please don't make me the bannerleader for exposing the OMs. I'd never expose their identities, if I found out/guessed, if they want to keep it private, just like there's a few alts out there I'm not revealing.

I was merely asking a question. I feel the opposite of Cleaver and find no need for secrecy, but as I allready said - it's no biggie to me.

Why do you always have to be such a rebel?!

:D Just kidding, I love you.

Posted by rroberts at Jun 24, 2004 10:45:53 PM
Mega-BUMP!

Just wondering if there were any plans for future expansion of the OM ranks, and whether it would be only open to certain people.

Also, is can there be a section of this forum where people who want to be more involved with the game put themselves forward? Possibly a "I want to be a Greeter" self-nomination page?

Just wondering, as it would be an honour to be able to be more help to people in general in this wonderful game.

Scarab
--feeling the tremors from the bump

Posted by Thusnelda at Jun 24, 2004 11:23:43 PM
***DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed belong entirely to Thusnelda, who thinks she's been around long enough to know stuff but is probably blowing smoke out of her booty. The first rule of VATC is never to talk about VATC***

From what I know of the OM and greeter system (one hears certain things...), it's probably based more on your in-game performance and being called by The Powers That Be, rather than applying for the position. The Ringers did accept applications for OMs starting out, but I know of at least one extremely prominent and knowledgeable person who did not get the job. (In full disclosure, neither Hom nor I applied.)

In the event that other OM positions come up, I would imagine that either they already have people in mind or would be very clear about opening the process up. It's just like any other job opening; with the finite number of positions the last time around, I'm sure that some of the previous applicants might still be qualified and willing. NOBODY, as far as I know, got a free pass to OM-hood, and the process was fairly rigorous. I think the qualifications are listed somewhere way back in the beginning of this thread.

As for the "I want to be a greeter" page... well, you certainly COULD speak with an OM or a certain known pinko greeterist, but keep in mind that no amount of wheedling can change the things you've done around the game and the forums. If you're satisfied and think you'd make a good role model for greenies, I'm sure that the assembled forces would be able to see that on their own. OMs do get around. If you are a bit ashamed of certain things... well, just work a little more on making a good name for yourself, around greenies and around all players in general.

So... talking to an OM is probably a good idea; I'd imagine that they could get your comments back to Cleaver or Top Pinky or whoever does the nominating.

Thusnelda,
the Rita Skeeter of Y!PP
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser

Posted by LongJohnGrey at Jun 25, 2004 5:33:56 AM
I actually asked about being a greeter. If I recall correctly, I asked Poseidon; his response was basically that you needed to be nominated by another greeter first.

At least one person told me that they were declined for greeterhood because they didn't participate in the forums enough; I think I have that requirement covered :-)

LJG.

p.s. Ok, for the major forum tarts: What's the biggest bump you've ever seen?
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).

Posted by Thusnelda at Jun 25, 2004 6:37:52 AM
Heh. I don't see why that'd be a requirement, as greenies don't necessarily hang out (noticeably) in the forums. That WAS a requirement I had to pass when I became an ossifer of the Dastards back in ought-two, but then again that was because Ursela was (and is) a picky little strumpet.

Nyah.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser

Posted by Nemo at Jun 25, 2004 6:47:12 AM
Greeters need to have up-to-date knowledge and know where to get it. A version of that may have been translated to "you need to read the forums more" in that person's case.

Posted by FireMonkey at Jun 25, 2004 7:31:44 AM
On the subject of OMs, I feel the game needs a euro-OM. Several times I have heard people lament over the inability to get a ship named, problem solved, etc, in GMT morning/early afternoon.

Posted by Cleaver at Jun 25, 2004 7:52:49 AM
FireMonkey wrote: 
On the subject of OMs, I feel the game needs a euro-OM. Several times I have heard people lament over the inability to get a ship named, problem solved, etc, in GMT morning/early afternoon.

We're tracking the game's usage. Right now we cover the hours when most people are on. Eventually we'll have 24 hour coverage, but that may or may not require another OM.

Re: hiring more OM's, we will re-open public applications at an appropriate time, but probably when we need to hire quite a few more, which may well not be for a while depending on how things go.

Posted by jaymz at Jun 25, 2004 9:19:54 AM
I have to say I've been impressed with amount of OM's around at euro friendly times.

I've played games where a dev/guide might not be seen for ages, or a system where the guides are regulated mainly by the playing population, and not the dev's.

As such, it's always going to be difficult to get a good coverage for support, whilst still having the control over them. I think the ringers have done a good job with the OM's so far, maybe another couple may improve coverage of other timezones, though it's imperitive to keep the intentions of the dev's consistant through the OM's, as they are the first port of call for many things

Posted by Anonymous at Jun 25, 2004 12:44:03 PM
LongJohnGrey wrote: 
I actually asked about being a greeter. If I recall correctly, I asked Poseidon; his response was basically that you needed to be nominated by another greeter first.

Uh oh... not looking good for a "Xephin the greeter". I'm such a nice guy now though... I changed my ways. honest!

Posted by AkMedic at Jun 25, 2004 12:50:53 PM
Cleaver wrote: 
FireMonkey wrote: 

We're tracking the game's usage. Right now we cover the hours when most people are on. Eventually we'll have 24 hour coverage, but that may or may not require another OM.

Re: hiring more OM's, we will re-open public applications at an appropriate time, but probably when we need to hire quite a few more, which may well not be for a while depending on how things go.

How about a 'mini' om or something along those lines? One thing I saw with my infamous mud I used to play back in the 'day' which worked well was they would use the player base as stand in OM's. Basically, they were granted some light om powers, and would go on and off duty. It would supplement the staff, and do so cheaply. I would say they should be very trusted players, and perhaps even folks removed from asny in game political system. Their decisions would be review by a om/dev, but this way, you get increased staff for next to no cost. The boon could be items or gifts to those who sign up for the job, though I wager most would do it for the love of the game.
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor

Posted by spuggy at Jun 25, 2004 1:07:26 PM
AkMedic wrote: 

How about a 'mnin' om or something along those lines? One thing I saw with my infamous mud I used to play which worked well was they would use the player base as stand in OM's. Bassically, they were granted some light om powers, and would go on and off duty. It would supplement the staff, and do so cheaply. I would say they should be very trusted players, and perhaps even folks removed from asny in game political system. Their decisions would be review by a om/dev, but this way, you get increased staff for next to no cost. The boon could be items or gifts to those who sign up for the job, though I wager most would do it for the love of the game.

Actually this is a great idea. From my experiences on an ACK! Mud administrator, we used to have basically 3 levels of administration. 85 meant that you were a super admin, 83 meant that you had a large amount of powers, but couldn't do everything, and 81 meant that you could essentially do very basic stuff.

This type of system might do very well in this environment. Even if the only powers that an "81" level OM has is to show up on the list, I still think it would be useful to provide a source for those folks to go to during non-peak hours.

I can pretty much assure that that of the crop of greeters that you have now, that at least a couple of them would be willing to take this type of position.

Posted by AkMedic at Jun 25, 2004 1:27:56 PM
Sure, or say there's an emergency. They could 'activate' themselves and deal with it (I'm sure minor emergencies or what have you, like someone being a complete ass, or someone greifting crew shops, etc.). It would take alot of pressure of 3 rings, and also reward those like greeters (I do think the position should be seperate, the MUD proved it worked better, as both roles are different) who want to donate their time to service. It's pretty much a win win.

Retired

Posted by rroberts at Jun 25, 2004 6:22:34 PM
<EDIT>Post for applying for consideration to be made a greeter removed. Sometimes your face just doesn't fit. </EDIT>

Posted by atteSmythe at Jun 26, 2004 1:40:57 AM
Edit:
Editted to remove an untruth. Those of you with perfect recall now have your answer.

aS

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

Posted by AkMedic at Jun 26, 2004 1:56:42 AM
I think that's my point here though: The process should be unique and independant from the greeter format, in all things. They are two very different beasts.

Retired

Posted by 54x at Jun 26, 2004 2:02:19 AM
It remains to be seen if the current crop of OMs are enough to provide support for the whole game without additional part-time help, and the ringers may prefer more fully-fledged OMs to having players helping out with support anyway...

Especially seeing the OMs are doing a fine job as far as I can see. :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?

Posted by Thusnelda at Jun 26, 2004 2:41:27 AM
Given the amount of greenies who approach me and my lovely yellow name on a regular basis, I'd think that you could effectively help out simply by hanging around the docks. And that's only on Jorvik. (Where can you see greenies? Only on Jorvik...)
Madam, proud Looterata

Posted by NinjaGuy at Jun 26, 2004 3:00:59 AM
rroberts wrote: 
If I don't know a greeter (which I do, but that's immaterial) how do I ask one of them to nominate me? I might be the nicest guy in the ocean??

I think you are way off base here. If I'm not mistaken, the point is for them to ask you, not the other way around. And if you're the nicest guy in the ocean, while that still doesn't seem like it would be a direct path to greeterhood to me since being the nicest guy in the ocean may leave you incaple to do the nasty things like blackspotting and complaining, I'm sure that some greeter would have picked up on it and nominated you. If you haven't been nominated, then you're probably not the nicest guy in the ocean, or you don't know enough about the game.

And as to 38 shanghais being a testament to you're overwhelming greenie niceness to greenies, those mean nothing. They just mean that you recruit a lot a greenies, which again, I'm not so sure that that would exactly put you in a great light towards the greeters.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada

Posted by Gotagota at Jun 26, 2004 3:10:25 AM
haha, good luck finding Fron in game!
rroberts wrote: 
Anyhow, my point is that there may well be people that would be perfect for such positions that are not being considered for them.

Not strictly true. I get the impression that as yet there've been very few oversights. I base this information on the fact that I don't get asked "Who do you think would make a good greeter?" anymore.[/sarcasm]
rroberts wrote: 
--wanting to give back to the community

There's a hundred ways to do so and none of them require any sort of special status. Events, large pillages, or even being remotely intelligent or insightful or articulate in your efforts to make the game as a whole better are some really effective methods.
Fronsac, human.

Posted by alanafiona at Jun 26, 2004 6:37:10 AM
Thusnelda wrote: 
Given the amount of greenies who approach me and my lovely yellow name on a regular basis, I'd think that you could effectively help out simply by hanging around the docks. And that's only on Jorvik. (Where can you see greenies? Only on Jorvik...)

Aaaaa! Now that video's stuck in me head again! Aaaa!

And.... oh, my. They have a newish one, with a pirate theme! But beware! It's not quite child-friendly, I wouldn't go there if I was under 18. Ye be warned!

[size=7]Really, it's just a tiny bit at the end, but a disclaimer was a good thing I think.
Alanafiona, distracted Captain of the Crimson Tyrants
Queen of the Sailors of Fortune
Why, yes, we are a bit strange - after all, we're lego pirates!

Posted by jaymz at Jun 26, 2004 9:58:22 AM
I think the greeters and OM's should be kept apart.

A greeter is there to greet; the main criteria would be to be nice and supportive to people who need it on the docks.

Being an OM would be very different. The powers they have would come with huge responsibility. Not just in the "You made one person's gaming experience bad" sense, but in a way that could affect how well an entire crew or flag does, even through something as small as whisking.

And Alanafiona, if you think Kenya is bad, you should see my Imperio forum avatar :)

Posted by ramirojr at Jun 26, 2004 10:02:14 AM
Re: haha, good luck finding Fron in game!
Gotagota wrote: 
rroberts wrote: 
--wanting to give back to the community

There's a hundred ways to do so and none of them require any sort of special status. Events, large pillages, or even being remotely intelligent or insightful or articulate in your efforts to make the game as a whole better are some really effective methods.

Except, Fron, you and I basically have that last part covered. =p

Well, at least YOU do.
My backpacking buddy wrote: 
Remember that time we went through the Hall o'Precedents, then refused t'do it again? That Summer were the best.

Posted by drewmetoo at Jun 28, 2004 12:46:51 PM
Australian evenings are often OM-less... at least the last few times I've needed to talk to one!
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral
I am the very model of a modern Major-General

Posted by elderp at Jun 28, 2004 12:55:51 PM
I personally like hanging out on the docks and greeting greenies on my own. From my personal experience the best way to get new recruits for your crew is teaching other pirates how to be better. You do that and they want to be a part of your crew. Not just because you perhaps had a good run and now decided to start asking for new crew mates.

Posted by Fujiko at Jun 29, 2004 3:47:45 AM
Thusnelda wrote: 
(Where can you see greenies? Only on Jorvik...)

I had one appear on Iris the other day. Poof!

No clue how he got there. Navy, I guess. He wandered off.
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)

Posted by amyliz33 at Feb 22, 2005 2:36:02 PM
For my 100th post spectacular I thought I'd wreak havoc using a semi-historic *bump* with a title that will probably confuse a great many people. As the historians say, "To understand our present we must understand our past."

Cleaver wrote: 
we will re-open public applications at an appropriate time, but probably when we need to hire quite a few more, which may well not be for a while depending on how things go.

Congrats on your milemarker of growth, mates. Here's to many more. Cheers!
Nazdar & Amyliz

Posted by SiLVeRD at Feb 22, 2005 3:44:22 PM
God that is evil rofl....

I remember wanting to apply back then but i only had barely 2 weeks of experience =(.
The one & only SD, often imitated but never duplicated

If you gonna shoot for the stars, then just shoot me

If you let me you won't regret me,
Shii, if you let me you won't forget me

Posted by Devonin at Feb 22, 2005 3:47:52 PM
I'm curious whether or not anyone on staff still recalls how many applications they recieved thet first time around, I'm curious to see how it compared to the 175 this time.

Posted by ElSpoom at Feb 23, 2005 10:20:03 PM
Re: OM
Cleaver wrote: 
I am going through the applications, which is taking a while as there are nearly 70 of them.

- Spoom
[size=10]Captain, Pie Revolution

Diamond: Because I'm lazy.
Katattacksme wrote: 
Crack holds no sway on the human mind like that of YPP.

Posted by steviehi at Jun 17, 2006 2:06:35 PM
Re: Hiring ocean-masters
i would love to be an ocean master i would make sure every one was folowing the rules and my name would be in blue yay blue

Posted by Sagacious at Jun 17, 2006 2:10:57 PM
Re: Hiring ocean-masters
How old are you?
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple

Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates