mvnForum Homepage

Print at Mar 7, 2021 4:01:53 AM
Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by Poseidon at Sep 12, 2003 7:21:46 AM
Re: OceanMasters
Hanzii wrote: 
And since I'd be mighty surprised if the OMs wasn't long time members of the community, I'd like to know whether keeping the the secret identities secret is a requirement for the job or up to the individual.

As you said we're long time members and for that reason we're not interested in getting recognized, so we can actually play the game as well.
----------------------------------------

Posted by Hanzii at Sep 12, 2003 7:34:57 AM
Poseidon wrote: 

As you said we're long time members and for that reason we're not interested in getting recognized, so we can actually play the game as well.

Isn't that what alts are for?

And, not really an answer to my question, but I'll interpret it as 'individual choice' on your part so far.
I find it somewhat bothersome, to talk to somebody (or see them post on the forums) and not knowing, whether they're somebody I'd had a lot of previous interaction with under a different name. If you post using both your OM account and your old account, things get really messy.

but please, the emphasis is on 'somewhat'. I don't agree with the decision, but it won't keep me awake at nights... or for that many minutes more, if I don't go make some coffee.

As OMs, you will ofcourse be judged solely on what you do and I trust the Ringers judgment. But good luck, nonetheless.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle

Posted by Cleaver at Sep 12, 2003 7:49:19 AM
OM identity
I don't think it's wise for OM's to have their real pirate identities disclosed. It might lead to accusations of favouristism or attempts at wheedling out favours. Besides, OM's aren't really there to hang out with their old pals -- that's what old pal characters are for. They are mostly there to help new (and established) players with problems.

Posted by burrito at Sep 12, 2003 8:29:11 AM
Let's face it, the people that are OMs now are probably people that we already considered to be leaders in the community. I also have a problem with the identity masking because I like to think of us as a somewhat tight-knit community. There were only 3-4 positions available and I'm sure no one doubts that you picked the people that were best prepared to fill those positions.

And heck, even if people did cry favoritism, so what? Tell them to grow up. 90% of people get their jobs because their friend hooked them up with it. If they want to cry favoritism, they might as well blame it on the way the world works.

I think they should use their former names. :/
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29

Posted by Cleaver at Sep 12, 2003 8:57:09 AM
Benefit?
I can't see any benefit to disclosing OM identity and I can see lots of potential problems, mostly people pestering OM's in their 'civvies' and so forth.

Posted by garf at Sep 12, 2003 9:01:54 AM
of course, i see that reasoning.

however, i think hanziis question is kinda relevant. if i ask me closest ingame mates if they be ocean masters, would they be forced to lie? or is it just not *recommended* to tell anyone?
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others

Posted by Squidbeard at Sep 12, 2003 9:07:49 AM
Nope. Anonymity is good.
I'm behind Cleaver on this one. I keep an unknown alt for those nights when I just don't feel like dying the death of a thousand /tells, and I'm just first officer of a decent-sized (and outstanding, may I add) crew.

I can't imagine what it would be like for these folks to have to deal with support issues 24/7. There's simply no way that people would honor any request to keep OOC requests away from the in-game characters.

I didn't apply for the OM positions, though I did give it a fair bit of thought. But if I knew that everyone would know that Squiddles was an OM, and that every time I logged in to take care of Orange Rev errands I'd be bombarded with support /tells, and that when I said I wasn't dealing with that stuff from this character I'd get a nonstop stream of flames for it (and you can't tell me that's not exactly what would happen), there's no way in the great salty sea that you'd get me within ten leagues of that job.

I've been around long enough to know that the Ringers know what they're doing, and there are a lot of test players (alpha- and beta-) who know what they're doing, and I trust that everyone involved is going to do a bang-up job. New players: all I can ask is that you take my word -- these people are good, in both the technical and social senses of the word. Without a facade of anonymity, there's no way an OM could enjoy the game as a player, and hence no way to get a good player to take that job.

To whomever our new OMs are (and I honestly haven't figured it out yet, though it's a puzzle I'm enjoying): me hat's off to ye!

--Sq

Edit: Doesn't it just figure that in the time it takes me to type up a book, Cleaver makes the same argument in two lines?
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis

Posted by Cleaver at Sep 12, 2003 2:00:11 PM
Bashful Debut
Poseidon and Artemis are putting in a stealth appearance this evening / tomorrow to help out with the RR Bash around Gaea. Pay no attention to the gods behind the curtain.

Posted by cmdrzoom at Sep 12, 2003 3:26:10 PM
I guess I don't understand why Hanzii (or anyone else) would want to know the identity of the Ocean Masters, familiar or not. Is it that you don't feel you can trust them unless you can associate them with a known, trusted name? Is it simple "here's a secret, I must know it" curiousity? Maybe it's the same impulse that keeps people crunching numbers and trying to peek behind the curtain that the admins have deliberately set up to keep the game's workings abstract, and thus more fun.

Let the Ocean Masters do their jobs in anomynity and peace, I say.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt

Posted by Hanzii at Sep 12, 2003 5:35:02 PM
Please don't make me the bannerleader for exposing the OMs. I'd never expose their identities, if I found out/guessed, if they want to keep it private, just like there's a few alts out there I'm not revealing.

I was merely asking a question. I feel the opposite of Cleaver and find no need for secrecy, but as I allready said - it's no biggie to me.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle

Posted by burrito at Sep 12, 2003 6:26:32 PM
Hanzii wrote: 
Please don't make me the bannerleader for exposing the OMs. I'd never expose their identities, if I found out/guessed, if they want to keep it private, just like there's a few alts out there I'm not revealing.

I was merely asking a question. I feel the opposite of Cleaver and find no need for secrecy, but as I allready said - it's no biggie to me.

Why do you always have to be such a rebel?!

:D Just kidding, I love you.
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29

Posted by rroberts at Jun 24, 2004 10:45:53 PM
Mega-BUMP!

Just wondering if there were any plans for future expansion of the OM ranks, and whether it would be only open to certain people.

Also, is can there be a section of this forum where people who want to be more involved with the game put themselves forward? Possibly a "I want to be a Greeter" self-nomination page?

Just wondering, as it would be an honour to be able to be more help to people in general in this wonderful game.

Scarab
--feeling the tremors from the bump

Posted by Thusnelda at Jun 24, 2004 11:23:43 PM
***DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed belong entirely to Thusnelda, who thinks she's been around long enough to know stuff but is probably blowing smoke out of her booty. The first rule of VATC is never to talk about VATC***

From what I know of the OM and greeter system (one hears certain things...), it's probably based more on your in-game performance and being called by The Powers That Be, rather than applying for the position. The Ringers did accept applications for OMs starting out, but I know of at least one extremely prominent and knowledgeable person who did not get the job. (In full disclosure, neither Hom nor I applied.)

In the event that other OM positions come up, I would imagine that either they already have people in mind or would be very clear about opening the process up. It's just like any other job opening; with the finite number of positions the last time around, I'm sure that some of the previous applicants might still be qualified and willing. NOBODY, as far as I know, got a free pass to OM-hood, and the process was fairly rigorous. I think the qualifications are listed somewhere way back in the beginning of this thread.

As for the "I want to be a greeter" page... well, you certainly COULD speak with an OM or a certain known pinko greeterist, but keep in mind that no amount of wheedling can change the things you've done around the game and the forums. If you're satisfied and think you'd make a good role model for greenies, I'm sure that the assembled forces would be able to see that on their own. OMs do get around. If you are a bit ashamed of certain things... well, just work a little more on making a good name for yourself, around greenies and around all players in general.

So... talking to an OM is probably a good idea; I'd imagine that they could get your comments back to Cleaver or Top Pinky or whoever does the nominating.

Thusnelda,
the Rita Skeeter of Y!PP
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser

Posted by LongJohnGrey at Jun 25, 2004 5:33:56 AM
I actually asked about being a greeter. If I recall correctly, I asked Poseidon; his response was basically that you needed to be nominated by another greeter first.

At least one person told me that they were declined for greeterhood because they didn't participate in the forums enough; I think I have that requirement covered :-)

LJG.

p.s. Ok, for the major forum tarts: What's the biggest bump you've ever seen?
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).

Posted by Thusnelda at Jun 25, 2004 6:37:52 AM
Heh. I don't see why that'd be a requirement, as greenies don't necessarily hang out (noticeably) in the forums. That WAS a requirement I had to pass when I became an ossifer of the Dastards back in ought-two, but then again that was because Ursela was (and is) a picky little strumpet.

Nyah.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser

Posted by Nemo at Jun 25, 2004 6:47:12 AM
Greeters need to have up-to-date knowledge and know where to get it. A version of that may have been translated to "you need to read the forums more" in that person's case.

Posted by FireMonkey at Jun 25, 2004 7:31:44 AM
On the subject of OMs, I feel the game needs a euro-OM. Several times I have heard people lament over the inability to get a ship named, problem solved, etc, in GMT morning/early afternoon.

Posted by Cleaver at Jun 25, 2004 7:52:49 AM
FireMonkey wrote: 
On the subject of OMs, I feel the game needs a euro-OM. Several times I have heard people lament over the inability to get a ship named, problem solved, etc, in GMT morning/early afternoon.

We're tracking the game's usage. Right now we cover the hours when most people are on. Eventually we'll have 24 hour coverage, but that may or may not require another OM.

Re: hiring more OM's, we will re-open public applications at an appropriate time, but probably when we need to hire quite a few more, which may well not be for a while depending on how things go.

Posted by jaymz at Jun 25, 2004 9:19:54 AM
I have to say I've been impressed with amount of OM's around at euro friendly times.

I've played games where a dev/guide might not be seen for ages, or a system where the guides are regulated mainly by the playing population, and not the dev's.

As such, it's always going to be difficult to get a good coverage for support, whilst still having the control over them. I think the ringers have done a good job with the OM's so far, maybe another couple may improve coverage of other timezones, though it's imperitive to keep the intentions of the dev's consistant through the OM's, as they are the first port of call for many things

Posted by Anonymous at Jun 25, 2004 12:44:03 PM
LongJohnGrey wrote: 
I actually asked about being a greeter. If I recall correctly, I asked Poseidon; his response was basically that you needed to be nominated by another greeter first.

Uh oh... not looking good for a "Xephin the greeter". I'm such a nice guy now though... I changed my ways. honest!

Posted by AkMedic at Jun 25, 2004 12:50:53 PM
Cleaver wrote: 
FireMonkey wrote: 

We're tracking the game's usage. Right now we cover the hours when most people are on. Eventually we'll have 24 hour coverage, but that may or may not require another OM.

Re: hiring more OM's, we will re-open public applications at an appropriate time, but probably when we need to hire quite a few more, which may well not be for a while depending on how things go.

How about a 'mini' om or something along those lines? One thing I saw with my infamous mud I used to play back in the 'day' which worked well was they would use the player base as stand in OM's. Basically, they were granted some light om powers, and would go on and off duty. It would supplement the staff, and do so cheaply. I would say they should be very trusted players, and perhaps even folks removed from asny in game political system. Their decisions would be review by a om/dev, but this way, you get increased staff for next to no cost. The boon could be items or gifts to those who sign up for the job, though I wager most would do it for the love of the game.
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor

Posted by spuggy at Jun 25, 2004 1:07:26 PM
AkMedic wrote: 

How about a 'mnin' om or something along those lines? One thing I saw with my infamous mud I used to play which worked well was they would use the player base as stand in OM's. Bassically, they were granted some light om powers, and would go on and off duty. It would supplement the staff, and do so cheaply. I would say they should be very trusted players, and perhaps even folks removed from asny in game political system. Their decisions would be review by a om/dev, but this way, you get increased staff for next to no cost. The boon could be items or gifts to those who sign up for the job, though I wager most would do it for the love of the game.

Actually this is a great idea. From my experiences on an ACK! Mud administrator, we used to have basically 3 levels of administration. 85 meant that you were a super admin, 83 meant that you had a large amount of powers, but couldn't do everything, and 81 meant that you could essentially do very basic stuff.

This type of system might do very well in this environment. Even if the only powers that an "81" level OM has is to show up on the list, I still think it would be useful to provide a source for those folks to go to during non-peak hours.

I can pretty much assure that that of the crop of greeters that you have now, that at least a couple of them would be willing to take this type of position.

Posted by AkMedic at Jun 25, 2004 1:27:56 PM
Sure, or say there's an emergency. They could 'activate' themselves and deal with it (I'm sure minor emergencies or what have you, like someone being a complete ass, or someone greifting crew shops, etc.). It would take alot of pressure of 3 rings, and also reward those like greeters (I do think the position should be seperate, the MUD proved it worked better, as both roles are different) who want to donate their time to service. It's pretty much a win win.

Retired

Posted by rroberts at Jun 25, 2004 6:22:34 PM
<EDIT>Post for applying for consideration to be made a greeter removed. Sometimes your face just doesn't fit. </EDIT>

Posted by atteSmythe at Jun 26, 2004 1:40:57 AM
Edit:
Editted to remove an untruth. Those of you with perfect recall now have your answer.

aS

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

Posted by AkMedic at Jun 26, 2004 1:56:42 AM
I think that's my point here though: The process should be unique and independant from the greeter format, in all things. They are two very different beasts.

Retired

Posted by 54x at Jun 26, 2004 2:02:19 AM
It remains to be seen if the current crop of OMs are enough to provide support for the whole game without additional part-time help, and the ringers may prefer more fully-fledged OMs to having players helping out with support anyway...

Especially seeing the OMs are doing a fine job as far as I can see. :)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?

Posted by Thusnelda at Jun 26, 2004 2:41:27 AM
Given the amount of greenies who approach me and my lovely yellow name on a regular basis, I'd think that you could effectively help out simply by hanging around the docks. And that's only on Jorvik. (Where can you see greenies? Only on Jorvik...)
Madam, proud Looterata

Posted by NinjaGuy at Jun 26, 2004 3:00:59 AM
rroberts wrote: 
If I don't know a greeter (which I do, but that's immaterial) how do I ask one of them to nominate me? I might be the nicest guy in the ocean??

I think you are way off base here. If I'm not mistaken, the point is for them to ask you, not the other way around. And if you're the nicest guy in the ocean, while that still doesn't seem like it would be a direct path to greeterhood to me since being the nicest guy in the ocean may leave you incaple to do the nasty things like blackspotting and complaining, I'm sure that some greeter would have picked up on it and nominated you. If you haven't been nominated, then you're probably not the nicest guy in the ocean, or you don't know enough about the game.

And as to 38 shanghais being a testament to you're overwhelming greenie niceness to greenies, those mean nothing. They just mean that you recruit a lot a greenies, which again, I'm not so sure that that would exactly put you in a great light towards the greeters.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada

Posted by Gotagota at Jun 26, 2004 3:10:25 AM
haha, good luck finding Fron in game!
rroberts wrote: 
Anyhow, my point is that there may well be people that would be perfect for such positions that are not being considered for them.

Not strictly true. I get the impression that as yet there've been very few oversights. I base this information on the fact that I don't get asked "Who do you think would make a good greeter?" anymore.[/sarcasm]
rroberts wrote: 
--wanting to give back to the community

There's a hundred ways to do so and none of them require any sort of special status. Events, large pillages, or even being remotely intelligent or insightful or articulate in your efforts to make the game as a whole better are some really effective methods.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates