mvnForum Homepage

Print at Mar 7, 2021 4:21:36 AM
Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by queendaedra at Sep 3, 2003 1:27:58 PM
Re: OceanMasters
Apology accepted and like I said I talk full reponsibility for my posting incorrectly.. and I was not angry with Frizza.. but I can see how it might have come across that way .. I bid ye all adieu
----------------------------------------
Daedra

Queen of the Black Plague
Captain of the First Circle of Hell

"Eternity has come and gone, and she still holds me true"

Posted by AngelicVamp at Sep 8, 2003 10:31:59 PM
Wow... it's nice to see actually civil people on the forum, doesn't really look like much moderation is needed... I applied for the job, would be kind of nice to get it.

Posted by dnxthx at Sep 8, 2003 11:09:10 PM
AngelicVamp wrote: 
Wow... it's nice to see actually civil people on the forum, doesn't really look like much moderation is needed... I applied for the job, would be kind of nice to get it.

Elsewhere in this thread, Cleaver suggested that he already e-mailed the OMs. Perhaps you'll get it next time?
Duncan
[size=10]Reformed Player
[size=8]Avatar by AaronZOOM

Posted by IcabobFreely at Sep 9, 2003 3:31:14 PM
Ocean Masters
I'm very interested in this position. I presently spend at least 10 hours a day on my computer, not to mention that my computer is connected 24/7. Being a "stay home" dad does have an advantage or two.
Icabob of The Midnight Sun
And remember...
When you're having a really bad day, it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 4 muscles to extend your finger and flip them off.

Posted by Cleaver at Sep 10, 2003 5:30:03 PM
Moderation
You will note that OceanMasters are listed as Moderators on all forums now. We have engaged our first troop and are gradually fitting them out for service. You may notice them beginning to make their presence felt on the forums, but there'll be no in-game deubt until next week, most likely.

We'll make the introductions then.

Posted by garf at Sep 10, 2003 9:44:11 PM
hrm... /me looks at moderator listings, rubs his eyes, looks again..

nope, no new moderators.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others

Posted by Lizzie at Sep 10, 2003 9:53:20 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Heh.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

Posted by Hanzii at Sep 10, 2003 10:04:30 PM
Yarr!
The only player moderators listed are Gotagota and me. I don't know about Fronsac, but I'm certainly no Oceanmaster.
(I never applied - US wages and Danish taxes just doesnt combine very well)
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle

Posted by Gotagota at Sep 10, 2003 11:18:55 PM
I picked meteorology over divination. I think it works...
Hanzii wrote: 
(I never applied...)

Hanzii, that's terrible! I'd've pegged you in a heartbeat. Har, it seems everyone I would have thought at first was wrong.

Meteorology: Job Market
Gotagota -- Booched!
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Posted by Cedric at Sep 10, 2003 11:42:11 PM
Re: Moderation
Cleaver wrote: 
You will note that OceanMasters are listed as Moderators on all forums now. We have engaged our first troop and are gradually fitting them out for service. You may notice them beginning to make their presence felt on the forums, but there'll be no in-game deubt until next week, most likely.

We'll make the introductions then.

Does that mean the next update isn't coming until next week now?
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash

Posted by homullus at Sep 11, 2003 2:17:56 AM

Har, it seems everyone I would have thought at first was wrong.

Who did you think would apply?

Posted by burrito at Sep 11, 2003 2:38:37 AM
It's unfortunate that I wasn't actually playing puzzle pirates when the job position became available, but if you need help in the future, I'll be sure to apply as I have a weird schedule that I'm sure no one else has. :D
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29

Posted by Switchblade at Sep 11, 2003 2:58:18 AM
Hiring ocean-masters
It almost seems as though there is implication that more Ocean Masters will be hired in the future, is this the near future? I unfortunately got my app in too late it looks like, but I am hopeful of a second round pick.

Any ideas on when three rings will be hiring more Ocean Masters, if at all?

P.S. I'll bake you all 10 batches of Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies when I get picked in the second round!! Lol....j/k : P

Posted by Aur at Sep 11, 2003 3:03:14 AM
I'm sure they'll take more applications. The turnover for this might be kind of high and there is are great plans for expansion so they'll need more if not replacements. I sure hope so. I would love to have this position and I myself would have applied but I want to actually PLAY the game to its fullest.

Being an OM would be too limiting and there's just too much potential for conflicts of interest. So I plan to play the heck out of the game for a bit. Hopefully, I can apply at a later time since I sort of have a background suited for this kind of thing.

Best of luck to those who got it.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes

Posted by Aur at Sep 11, 2003 3:05:12 AM
Oh and I just spotted that Demeter has a green name now in the list of who's browsing what forum. So they aren't listed, but they are mods. Anyone else spot names that are Green now?
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes

Posted by Switchblade at Sep 11, 2003 3:08:59 AM
best of Luck
Yes indeed, best of luck for those who made it!! I wished i had mentioned that before = )

May a strong wind be at yer back and may the tides favor ye on yer new found quest.

Good Hunting = )

Posted by Demeter at Sep 11, 2003 3:09:01 AM
Aur wrote: 
Oh and I just spotted that Demeter has a green name now in the list of who's browsing what forum. So they aren't listed, but they are mods. Anyone else spot names that are Green now?

Spotted! Have one of Switchblade's cookies...
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

Posted by captainjenn at Sep 11, 2003 3:09:57 AM
Agreed, I would have liked to have applied as I feel that I've gained a significant amount of knowledge of the game thus far.

I'd even be willing to step down as captain of my crew and move my first mate up. :)
Jennbits
Booty Buccaneers - Captain

Posted by Aur at Sep 11, 2003 3:10:04 AM
Demeter wrote: 
Aur wrote: 

Spotted! Have one of Switchblade's cookies...

However, I am guessing that Demeter is simply an alias to protect the innocence of your normal playing name. Seeing as you only have 3 posts and I've never seen the name before. ;)
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

Posted by Switchblade at Sep 11, 2003 3:12:46 AM
Clever Clever
I thinik it was Mrs. Plumb, with the lead pipe, in the ball room.

*Switchblade strokes his non-existant goatee in ponderation*

Posted by Sagittary at Sep 11, 2003 4:06:06 AM
Mod Sighting
Ooo ooo! I found another one! Mnemonsyne... or something like that (spelling's probably off). Do I get a noprize whitespot? :D
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion

Posted by homullus at Sep 11, 2003 4:21:20 AM
Interesting choice of moderator names.

Classics pop quiz: Name one Greek goddesses more famous than her children.

Posted by Gotagota at Sep 11, 2003 6:12:27 AM
hehe...me rewarding you. see, it's funny!
Very slick. Color me approved.

As a reward I'll be posting some (two) cooperative game puzzle concepts* I had since being turned toward the idea. Today. Before I log in. [edit: Well, one of them anyway. the other later. Booty called]

*- [size=9]Concepts, first...er...second drafts of gameplay and some thoughts. Maybe even some of my reasoning behind the genesis of the idea. Depends on how much I feel like rambling.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Posted by Ely at Sep 11, 2003 1:22:46 PM
homullus wrote: 
Classics pop quiz: Name one Greek goddesses more famous than her children.

Are you sure you got that right? Aren't a lot of them far more popular than their offspring? (Hera, with many children, comes to mind)

At any rate, I give. What's the answer?

Posted by homullus at Sep 11, 2003 1:43:43 PM
I honestly couldn't think of any clear-cut instances, it was kind of a trick question.

You COULD argue that Demeter is more famous than Persephone (she had a big cult following in RL), but her daughter has the whole pomegranate thing and gets all the press in myth.

Hera . . . I dunno. Maybe. Her son Hephaestus gets talked about a lot more by people, and Ares is minor but ubiquitous.

The point is more that the MOST famous Greek goddesses are the ones without children . . . like Athena and Artemis.

Posted by Ely at Sep 11, 2003 2:01:43 PM
Yeah, I get you. I was about to suggest Athena, actually, until I tried looking up her daughters -- and found she had none.

Posted by BrokenShard at Sep 11, 2003 2:34:25 PM
I think getting swallowed by the bowels of hell and being able to return from it every summer (or something like that) classifies you as famous...what the heck did Demeter do?

Plus Aphrodite is pretty famous....or at least pretty

-Faldez
~Faldez the Urchin of Former Legend

Posted by Demeter at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM
BrokenShard wrote: 
I think getting swallowed by the bowels of hell and being able to return from it every summer (or something like that) classifies you as famous...what the heck did Demeter do?

-Faldez

Goddess of the earth/nature, the underworld (before Persephone took over that role), and fertility.

Made it possible for Persephone to return by preventing the earth from bearing crops and people from reproducing, thereby forcing Zeus and the other gods to give in to my wishes as mankind was endangered. Invented agriculture, and the seasons.

Persephone just managed to get herself kidnapped & then took sweets from strangers - I'd warned her about that...
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

Posted by homullus at Sep 11, 2003 10:16:34 PM
Aphrodite would be another candidate, though her son is Cupid.

In RL, Demeter had a HUGE cult following for a while. The cult was a "mystery" cult (so called because people were forbidden to speak of it once in), where people saw *something* during initiation that was supposed to make their afterlife better. This was an innovation on current Greek religion, which was all about appeasing gods so they didn't smite you (if you were a believer) or so that you were doing what everyone else did (if you, like most people, weren't) . . . standard Greek view on the afterlife was that it sucked and you couldn't do much other than walk around and be cold with a bunch of other shades. So, an upgrade from that would be nice.

Professor Homullus R. Pirate, ABD.

Posted by Hanzii at Sep 12, 2003 6:48:40 AM
Eris, Poseidon, Demeter and Menemosyne and with a nice private forum to talk about us in, as well ;-)

When's the proper introduction?
And since I'd be mighty surprised if the OMs wasn't long time members of the community, I'd like to know whether keeping the the secret identities secret is a requirement for the job or up to the individual.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle

Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates