mvnForum Homepage

Print at Mar 7, 2021 4:40:47 AM
Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by LetterAfterZ at Aug 18, 2003 12:37:37 AM
Re: OceanMasters
I'm interested but probably not qualified in terms of game experience, i'm assuming you would be seeking applicants who are familiar in all areas of gameplay?
I have no experience in captaining a ship, or running a shop, and only know what i do know about these things from what i've read on the site and the forums.
----------------------------------------
--------
Laz in-game

Posted by Squidbeard at Aug 18, 2003 1:07:43 AM
Instant qualification!
I'd like to nominate anyone who can handle Ursaboi as a good candidate for OceanMaster. I know I've typed up two replies now, and thrown both of them away as excessively harsh.

Well, not really excessive by my reckoning, but probably excessive by community standards...

[size=9]I can never tell when Faile is kidding. Thanks for the plug, either way. No publicity is bad publicity!

--Sq
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis

Posted by Gotagota at Aug 18, 2003 7:29:36 AM
Squiddles, I couldn't tell if she was kidding either...
Squidbeard wrote: 
I'd like to nominate anyone who can handle Ursaboi as a good candidate for OceanMaster. I know I've typed up two replies now, and thrown both of them away as excessively harsh.

I've done my part already. Now to determine whether or not the game is actually down.*

Perhaps I'll macro my friend cheddar's response for use when I suspect bridge dwellers.

*- [size=9]By which I mean I've done what I have the authority to do as yet, and shall post a reply to his topical query in questions, questions when I am able to determine more information. I think I'll use my tech support mode: "Sir, can you follow the wires coming out of your modem?" Bwahaha.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Posted by queendaedra at Aug 19, 2003 6:35:19 AM
Interested
I am interested in the position, and completed the process to apply. I am not sure the amount of time you are looking for as far as game time.

Daedra

Queen of the Black Plague
Captain of the First Circle of Hell
Daedra

"Eternity has come and gone, and she still holds me true"

Posted by lotr at Aug 19, 2003 9:05:01 AM
Go Deadra Go Daedra, Its you birfday. Gahh sorry little outburst but i hope you get it anyway.(Kellerjudo)

Posted by Meghaford at Aug 20, 2003 12:35:15 AM
My thoughts on the ocean master Title...

Corsair - Definition is 1. A pirate, especially along the Barbary Coast.
2. A swift pirate ship, often operating with official sanction.

Albatross - The Albatross has long been a creature of reverence and superstition. Well before Coleridge penned his 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner', seafarers believed that when their captains died their souls took the form of an albatross to wander the oceans forever.

The Royal Albatross, one of the largest seabirds, is a gliding phenomenon. It regularly circumnavigates the globe, sometimes aloft for days on end. Ranging effortlessly on the prevailing winds, it spends little more than a tenth of its long life on land.

I love the symbolism of the albatross, and it seems to fit quite nicely into the role that the ocean masters will play.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...

Posted by Seltzer at Aug 20, 2003 1:15:48 AM
I'm enjoying the concept of the Ocean Master position, but would this be setup for just being another pirate for the player or a completely seperate login? I'm assuming a seperate login if you are getting rid of multiple pirates for the accounts.

Also, as with some of the others, I currently have a full time job and would unfortunately not be able to join in on this venture. But would enjoy some setup as they have had in DAOC, UO, etc.. where players of the game are setup with some sort of Helper status or as someone that you can just go to for information about puzzles, etc.. if the small number of Ocean Masters are busy. Of course it seems most players seem to be fairly apt to helping out if they have time, I'm more worried about the new players that don't want to just run up and ask anyone in the game for some reason or another but will ask people that it says are there to answer questions.
Because "when you're a professional pirate... you don't have to wear a suit."

-Seltz
In Googlis non est, ergo non est

Posted by Fishtie at Aug 20, 2003 1:44:06 AM
Possible Titles
The positions are intriguing... I also wish I had the extra time to give it a shot. But a 40 hour week will do that to ye.

Have ye considered the following titles:

Commodore
Admiral (vice, rear or otherwise)
Flag Officer (vague, but somewhat appropriate)
Island hopper

Just depends on what yer looking fer.

-Ghoti
Ghoti
Swordsman, Cult of the Red Mantis
Sublimely Mirthful [size=9](void where prohibited)
Proud wearer of The Useless Stamp of Approval (tm)

Posted by razorace at Aug 20, 2003 9:21:28 AM
I happen to have the time and would love to get addition experience within the gaming industry.

However, I do have a couple of questions:

1. The jobs page says that the application deadline was yesterday. Are you still accepting applications?

2. Is there an broadband internet connection requirement? I'm only on a dial up at the moment so that's a consideration before I can apply.

Posted by Cleaver at Aug 20, 2003 6:03:45 PM
OM
Applications are indeed closed for now (although we will be accepting more later). I am going through the applications, which is taking a while as there are nearly 70 of them. Thanks to everyone who applied, it's going to be tough to pick, so please don't be upset if you don't make it this time.

And no, you wouldn't need broadband.

Posted by Sagittary at Aug 21, 2003 12:39:07 AM
Dunce cap
I suppose I'll be the dunce and ask the question that will most likely come up: what if someone wants to update/correct their application (either for this round or for the next if they already applied)?
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion

Posted by razorace at Aug 21, 2003 2:17:27 AM
Ok, well, I'll quickly make my suggestions and wait for the next round.

I'm going to suggest "Masters of the Marque" for the GMs. Yes, it's complicated and probably not a correct usage of the term. But, it does refer directly to the famed "Letters of Marque" of pirating AND has an abbrevation of "MoM".

Wouldn't that be great? Whenever a pirate is in trouble, he calls for his "MoM". :D

Anyway, my first gameplay suggestion would be to add a total remaining pirates counter to the sword battles. That way you could tell how well your team is going at a glance even in a huge sword battle.

Posted by queendaedra at Aug 21, 2003 2:45:02 AM
I wanted to update as well
Sag and Razor

I also would like to update my app, but I guess we must be fair and wait eh? I thought of a million ideas after the fact. Harr... :)
Daedra

Posted by aameul at Aug 21, 2003 3:44:26 AM
Re: I wanted to update as well
queendaedra wrote: 
Sag and Razor

I also would like to update my app, but I guess we must be fair and wait eh? I thought of a million ideas after the fact. Harr... :)

Har, just think of it as interview fodder, Daedra ;)

Posted by MMM at Aug 22, 2003 8:56:29 PM
Here's my two coffers worth...

Mots (sounds like Mods)

Master Of The Seas

Those who qualifies as Player Experience Manager are usually Masters of the seas. They excelled in and are experts of their "trade".
BM
Lady of Apparel Barrel
Snr. Officer of ARR, Old Spice
Master Mariner of Skillful Mackerel
ARR!: All Rates Reserved!

Posted by hootymcboob at Aug 25, 2003 2:27:56 AM
Not intrested in helping others but idea for admins=peglegsAnd on a different note u add peglegs to any event to make it fun : )
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, But today is a gift, That's why we call it the Present.

Posted by muffy at Aug 26, 2003 11:53:26 PM
naming
Lifeguards?

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 1, 2003 5:15:23 AM
Just an idea
Since I don't want to annoy anyone with any more emails I figured I would post my idea here. I think that some holds should be lockable, so that when Senior Officers and Captains stockpile goods or large amounts of poe the ship can not leave and nothing can be traded. I also think that the crew account should be accessed for deposits only from the ships (when ported only) That way we dont have to do trades from one officer to another unless you want to. It also prevents people from putting money in their personal accounts and forgetting to give it to the Captain. :)

Just a few a thoughts.
Daedra

Posted by phoenix42 at Sep 1, 2003 7:58:12 AM
good idea, and no reason why not, but the list be bloated it be
[size=13]Crackles
Kage Bunshin vs Sharingan!!!

Posted by meiadm at Sep 1, 2003 5:32:44 PM
umm... why is this underneath announcements ? - this suits game design a lot better
Frizzan - Gone for good

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 2, 2003 1:44:14 AM
meiadm wrote: 
umm... why is this underneath announcements ? - this suits game design a lot better

frizzan you be nice! The reason it is here is because I applied for the position and I want the Ringers to notice my dear. SEcondly as bogged down as the forums are they might easily lose themselves in the posts for days never really finding anything pertinent. So that is why. :)
Daedra

Posted by akebia at Sep 2, 2003 2:57:27 AM
queendaedra wrote: 
The reason it is here is because I applied for the position and I want the Ringers to notice my dear.

That is a horrible reason. Let nobody else follow Daedra's example.

queendaedra wrote: 
SEcondly as bogged down as the forums are they might easily lose themselves in the posts for days never really finding anything pertinent.

One reason the forums get bogged down is that people post things in the wrong area, ruining the pleasant system that lets people know where to look. Another reason forums get bogged down is that people post suggestions that have been covered quite thouroughly before, such as this one. Amidst all this chaos, some people try in vain to keep things tidy when one of those two things happens. Sometimes people take offense. That sometimes sends the whole thread off the rails, bogging down forums in a third way.

But, really:

If you want the Ringers to read a post, all you need to do is post it in the proper place. They might not respond to every thread, especially those that are well-answered by other posters, but everything does get read. Post where you're supposed to and keep the boards tidy. Everything else will work itself out.

Posted by garf at Sep 2, 2003 3:30:53 AM
and ye didnt even read the application requirements thoroughly...

if i may quote:

At least one concrete suggestion for a way we can improve the player experience through good customer service. Event ideas etc. would be an example, but other more systemic examples are also encouraged.

(emphasis by me)

i would say that bingo-booching (wrong board, wrong topic for application, suggestions old and long discussed and on the list, not sent in application mail) is a really piratey thing for someone applicating as ocean master. ;)

and yes, i'm guilty of posting this primarily to get to apply the term bingo-booching. i admit it. i could not resist.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others

Posted by queendaedra at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM
I take responsibility for posting incorrectly here, but I must say I was truly hurt by the unwarranted attack. I think it is important that we try to be sensitive to all people's feelings whether in the forum or within the game itself, because Puzzle Pirates is a family oriented game which reaches out to all people from all walks of life including children and young adults.

I apologize to the Ringers for posting to this forum incorrectly and will watch where I post more carefully.
Daedra

Posted by meiadm at Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM
I know I already apologized in-game, but I might as well put it here too - I was just making an observation, and had no intention at all of hurting anyone.

I usually base my posts on logic and fact, but I can't be sure that I won't step someone over the toes in doing so.

Me apologies, to ye yer highness.
Frizzan - Gone for good

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 3, 2003 1:16:48 AM
I know you did Frizzan and I was teasing with you don't worry you are a wonderful mate and very helpful. :) It wasn't your post that I was referring too.
Daedra

Posted by garf at Sep 3, 2003 1:29:13 AM
harr.. i imagine ye didnt see the extra text in me posting then. no offense, lass.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 3, 2003 3:37:26 AM
Aye Garf I did not no worries mate .. It was really the other person's post Akelbia (sp) that I found inapropriate.
Daedra

Posted by akebia at Sep 3, 2003 6:24:30 AM
queendaedra wrote: 
It was really the other person's post Akelbia (sp) that I found inapropriate.

Sorry. While I don't agree with the thought, I understand that some folks are using posts to this thread to augment their resume. I should have been more aware of that (not only while figuring out your tone in your response to Frizzan, but also while writing my response) and I'm sorry for having caused you any embarrassment.

Posted by queendaedra at Sep 3, 2003 1:27:33 PM
Apology accepted and like I said I talk full reponsibility for my posting incorrectly.. and I was not angry with Frizza.. but I can see how it might have come across that way .. I bid ye all adieu
Daedra

Posts: 132   Pages: 5   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates