mvnForum Homepage

Print at Sep 28, 2021 3:56:23 PM
Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 | Next Page | Last Page]
View all posts in this thread on one page
Posted by Wheebiscuit at Nov 5, 2008 7:24:53 AM
Re: QuarterMaster II - Public Release - Support
It looks like you didn't put QM in a standard location, but rather installed it in a temporary file location (in your documents folder?)

Remove it (deinstall) and reinstall into something like C:\Program Files\Quartermaster. Personally I put it into a subfolder of where my Puzzle Pirates is installed so it is all in one place.

That should fix your problems. You might also want to doublecheck where you put your chat logs.

Good luck, and post here again if you have more problems.

Aarghbird
----------------------------------------
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

Avatar by the arrrsome Billshakes

Posted by Soar at Nov 23, 2008 4:18:18 AM
Ahoy Mates!

Coming in to december and I've been playing a bit on and off. Lots of people have asked me to put out a number of fixes for QM2. So I've decided to take a look over the problems occuring and devote a couple of weeks to coding.

The three issues I have seen most often are:
[1] Chat message sending funtion messing up the PP chat settings.
[2] The list index out of bounds error occuring when you have the Yohoho.log enabled.
[3] Inclusion of new game content (ships, oceans, etc).

Please let me know of any others that may be lurking around and I'll add them to my ToDo list. I wasn't really looking at putting in new features unless it is something easier than stapling bunny ears together.

I'd also like to send a huge Thank You to the players who have taken time away from the game and come in here to post config file updates, or help others who may be getting stuck.

EDIT : I think I have found the problem with the list index out of bounds error. It is likely being caused by logging in with two PP clients at the same time. This causes your Yohoho.log file to empty completely. The current version of QM2 can't handle an empty log file. This will be fixed in the coming patch. If you get this error you will need to close all PP clients and QM, then restart a single PP client first, log in to your characer, and finally start QM.

Arbedar!
Tailspin
(No, I don't really do that to cute little bunnies.)

Posted by Wheebiscuit at Nov 23, 2008 9:47:46 AM
In addition to the three items you listed to be worked on, I would like to see the booty pay fixed for pillages, Atlantis, Flotillas, and Cursed Isles.

- Pillage cuts were changed to 50% but that hasn't been updated.
- I don't think all poe distributed in Atlantis (chests) and Flotillas (sink bounties) is calculated, and I would like to see it, along with what is eventually distributed when the CI chests are opened.

I would love to see, when you pop up the 'Do you want to reset?' message after divvy, a message along the lines of "You received a total of XXXX PoE for your work on this voyage' which would include all sources of PoE - TH, Bounties, chests opened, and anything else I have missed. All the info is clearly stated in chat messages, but not neatly totaled and scrolls off very fast.

I am very happy to see you have some time to play, and the energy and interest to work on the program again. I still use it all the time, and look forward to your fixes and improvements. Feel free to task me with anything I can do to assist you.

Aarghbird
Captain of Rum by Gum on Cobalt
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

Posted by maxdsterling at Nov 23, 2008 11:22:12 PM
Glad to see yer still alive mate.

• Multiple instances of the Damage Counter for multiple enemies, and possibly the ability to "add .5 rows or repairs" button if using Sink mode (since it wouldn't matter in Grapple (SF) Mode).
  • Save state of "universal pirate" checkbox. I can't stand having to uncheck it everytime I load up QM (since I use multiple instances of it and would get database errors using universal).
  • Can you delay loading the pirate/crew info until after the GUI has loaded? It's not required for the main window, and the pirate can be instantiated on the "crew" list with old (or default) data until the update is loaded. I think this would cut down on the apparent load time dramatically.

More things will come to my mind when I'm not half asleep.

Thanks for staying with us!
Silverspoon
Retired Senior Officer of The Eternal Hydrae
Echidna's Children

Posted by Loren_S at Nov 24, 2008 5:49:33 AM
  • make the list of known messages configurable.
    There are some game-messages that trigger a "chatspeak"-sound if enabled. Most of them due to new features. Having the ignorelist in a configfile would help
  • make different sounds associatable with custom triggers
  • customtriggers should (optionaly) use regexp or at least wordboundaries
    Having a trigger on "gem" gives a whole bunch of sounds when the pirate "Stargem" applies and gets jobbed. Let alone he forages afterwards
  • Add custom responses to triggers
    e.g. if I get a tell of "Pirate tells you: How much for WF?" it should send a "/tell pirate xx dubs or yyk". Same as with the fixed autojob.
  • make autojob recognize "Job piratename"
    (thought I read it does that, but does not work for me)
  • restore old clipboardcontent after doing an autochat
    so annoying to lose the saved message just because someone sent a "job me"
  • improved handling of text present in speakbox, when autochat triggers
    trigger, save clipboard, save textbox content, clear textbox, place and send autotext, restore textboxcontent (with cursorposition?), restore clipboard
  • indicate if stats-refresh-waittime is over
    currently the the pirate becomes independent. maybe change the icon to a ? for unknown/outdated stats
  • faster way to query jobberstats
    Have an optional interface to a public webservice availiable to update and/or query stats from a common cache without the 1/minute yoweb restriction. (No need to implement the server, I'm sure they will pop up if QM can be made to query them)
  • have QM read chat aloud via speach synth.
    maybe I get carried away now.
  • QM only sometimes recognizes boarding of a ship
  • don't make missing or outdated chatlogfile fatal
    In most cases the correct pirate will be online a few seconds later. A popupdialog is ok
  • default the opponent in the damagecounter to your own ship (or leave bigger) on change.
    selecting WB as own ship, then scrolling all the way down from sloop to WF is annoying. WB will never spawn smaller than WB, and seldom fight a smaller vessel
  • make QM sensible working in multible instances at the same time
    I gave up on it a while back, might have been the out of bounds error, but maybe some other reason
  • save window settings over session
    first thing I do with a new QM: make it a bit wider to fit the whole screen together with PP
  • quickselect of (custom) option settings.
    "sloop pillage": no autojob, autoplank + message, soundtrigger on "job me", damagecounter showing default sloop, ptb-buttons active
    "recuting pillage": autojob, no sound on crewchat, ptb-buttons active, damagecounter default WB
    "blockade JC": autojob, ignoreblacklist, read-aloud "officerchat: next ship: XXX", customresponse to "officerchat: next ship XXX": set /bb "/cr /sh now loading XXX", download jobberstats from "webservice.myflag.example.com"

Long wishlist sorry (but Xmas is near). If you have quesitons to the items feel free to PM me.
CoatOSilver, Captain of Forget About It, Retired King of ©©©, Sage

Posted by Soar at Nov 27, 2008 6:06:57 AM
Ahoy

Ok mates, I'll get to work on these along with a couple of others I've been meaning to get done.

I'm not sure which suggestions will be possible till I give them a try so I'll have more info once I get closer to completing the update.

Arbedar!
Tailspin

Posted by maxdsterling at Nov 27, 2008 1:16:06 PM
Anything that has to do with numbers (booty divisions, etc) should be configurable through at least the config.txt file (if not through the GUI).
Silverspoon
Echidna's Children

Posted by Soar at Nov 27, 2008 6:59:10 PM
Ahoy

Re: Maxdsterling & Wheebiscuit

I'll have a go at all those suggestions/problems. I think I can get most of them sorted out. I'll definitly improve the booty totaling system and will probably seperate the damage counter code out in to a seperate application.

Re: Loren S/CoatOSilver

Thanks for the list mate. Lots of things in there so I went over them all in detail today :]

- make the list of known messages configurable.
There are some game-messages that trigger a "chatspeak"-sound if enabled. Most of them due to new features. Having the ignorelist in a configfile would help

This should already be in the current version. Have a look at the \QuarterMaster\Languages\English.txt file. Everything listed under "******Puzzle Pirates******" should be parsed out in to Others tab. You can add new text lines there. Just be sure to keep the index number correctly formated. Also don't change the entries already present as some of the indexes are hard coded for special functions. I'll probably move this data in to the Config.txt file to make it more obvious.

- make different sounds associatable with custom triggers
I'll put this one in if I have time as it requires some new interface parts, data saving and a chunk of code. I know its not a huge request but these little bits do add up, and I'd really like to stay focused on probems with the current features.

- customtriggers should (optionaly) use regexp or at least wordboundaries
Having a trigger on "gem" gives a whole bunch of sounds when the pirate "Stargem" applies and gets jobbed. Let alone he forages afterwards

This is also in the current version. Check out the help files under Program Options - Keywords.

- Add custom responses to triggers
e.g. if I get a tell of "Pirate tells you: How much for WF?" it should send a "/tell pirate xx dubs or yyk". Same as with the fixed autojob.

Also in the current version. Check out the help file under Program Options - Auto Responses.

- make autojob recognize "Job piratename"

Ahhh, well it used to. There were some problems with people using it inappropriately so I had to remove it.

- restore old clipboardcontent after doing an autochat
so annoying to lose the saved message just because someone sent a "job me"

Might be able to do this. The problem comes when the user has massive amounts of data on the clipboard and moving it around becomes cumbersome. I'll look in to it though. Might be able to do it for just text data saved on the clipboard.

- improved handling of text present in speakbox, when autochat triggers
trigger, save clipboard, save textbox content, clear textbox, place and send autotext, restore textboxcontent (with cursorposition?), restore clipboard

Again a possiblity, will have a go at it.

- indicate if stats-refresh-waittime is over
currently the the pirate becomes independent. maybe change the icon to a ? for unknown/outdated stats

I'll take a look at this one too.

- faster way to query jobberstats
Have an optional interface to a public webservice availiable to update and/or query stats from a common cache without the 1/minute yoweb restriction. (No need to implement the server, I'm sure they will pop up if QM can be made to query them)

Heheh, that would be nice wouldnt it. I'd rather not get in to the whole webserver thing again though as it's an awful lot of work and I don't play as regular as I used to. I will be looking at including automatic queuing for stat loading though. So you don't have to keep clicking everyone.

- have QM read chat aloud via speach synth.
maybe I get carried away now.

Mmmmmmm.... Pass.

- QM only sometimes recognizes boarding of a ship.
This sounds like a bug, very hard to corner too. I'll keep an eye out for it. If you could give me more specifics it would be a huge help. Ship recognition only works if you have your Yohoho.log parsing turned on, so that might be the trouble.

- don't make missing or outdated chatlogfile fatal
In most cases the correct pirate will be online a few seconds later. A popupdialog is ok

Yep, this one is going in for sure.

- default the opponent in the damagecounter to your own ship (or leave bigger) on change.
selecting WB as own ship, then scrolling all the way down from sloop to WF is annoying. WB will never spawn smaller than WB, and seldom fight a smaller vessel

This should be in the current version. I'll test it to be sure I didn't mess it up with a previous patch somewhere along the line.

- make QM sensible working in multible instances at the same time
I gave up on it a while back, might have been the out of bounds error, but maybe some other reason

Messed around with the whole multi-client thing a while back and decided to go with the "Not Supported" option. It's just too messy, especially now with the Yohoho.log shutting down.

- save window settings over session
first thing I do with a new QM: make it a bit wider to fit the whole screen together with PP

This is supposed to work in the current version but I'm pretty sure I broke it a while back. I have it on my list for an overhaul in this patch.

- quickselect of (custom) option settings.
"sloop pillage": no autojob, autoplank + message, soundtrigger on "job me", damagecounter showing default sloop, ptb-buttons active
"recuting pillage": autojob, no sound on crewchat, ptb-buttons active, damagecounter default WB
"blockade JC": autojob, ignoreblacklist, read-aloud "officerchat: next ship: XXX", customresponse to "officerchat: next ship XXX": set /bb "/cr /sh now loading XXX", download jobberstats from "webservice.myflag.example.com"

I'll include this if I have time, but yeah, not really going for new features with this update.

Thanks heaps mate!

On a different point...
Can anyone tell me the keyboard shortcut for the "Paste" function in Linux? It's ctl-c in Windows, but if I can get the Linux shortcut I can hopefully improve things for those running QM under WINE.

Arbedar!
Tailspin

Posted by Thunderbird at Nov 27, 2008 7:12:23 PM
Many Linux programs use the usual CTRL+V, but the standard is clicking with both mouse buttons. This will only transplant text that is highlighted on another screen, however. It may depend on whether the user is using GNOME, KDE or whatever for X, but I haven't delved that much into it.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"

Posted by LJAmethyst at Nov 27, 2008 7:44:25 PM
There are several paste mechanisms under X11. One is the "primary selection" which is pasted by using the middle button (which is sometimes simulated by pressing two buttons together, if the mouse has no third button.) The other is the "clipboard selection" which is pasted by using Ctrl-V (or, if available, Edit | Paste menu.)

The primary selection can only be held by one application server-wide. The clipboard is stored in the server itself (as opposed to primary, which is held by the application!)

Here's a good discussion of the stuff, which I used to compose this reply.

It is mostly preferred to use the clipboard now (Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V) particularly because of the distinction I mentioned above (if the application holding the primary goes away, so does the selection. If you select something new, the primary goes away as well. Clipboard is more durable.)

Some applications to investigate: xclip and xcb, these manipulate the clipboard in interesting ways via the X protocol.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.

Posted by Soar at Nov 27, 2008 8:00:07 PM

Many Linux programs use the usual CTRL+V, but the standard is clicking with both mouse buttons. This will only transplant text that is highlighted on another screen, however. It may depend on whether the user is using GNOME, KDE or whatever for X, but I haven't delved that much into it.

There are several paste mechanisms under X11. One is the "primary selection" which is pasted by using the middle button (which is sometimes simulated by pressing two buttons together, if the mouse has no third button.) The other is the "clipboard selection" which is pasted by using Ctrl-V (or, if available, Edit | Paste menu.)

The primary selection can only be held by one application server-wide. The clipboard is stored in the server itself (as opposed to primary, which is held by the application!)

Here's a good discussion of the stuff, which I used to compose this reply.

It is mostly preferred to use the clipboard now (Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V) particularly because of the distinction I mentioned above (if the application holding the primary goes away, so does the selection. If you select something new, the primary goes away as well. Clipboard is more durable.)

Some applications to investigate: xclip and xcb, these manipulate the clipboard in interesting ways via the X protocol.

Where is Linus Torvalds at?
I'm going to kill him.

Arbedar!
Tailspin

Posted by treese at Nov 29, 2008 3:21:06 AM
Woots!

Tails, so glad to see ye've returned for a quick visit. We don't mean to be taking up your time with all these wish-listy stuff and know your time is very valuable.

At least this pirate anyway.

I've been reading thru the list of requests for potential additions/changes that can be made, there's nothing that I can add, nor might I even use all of the suggestions.

But... I did have one question...

Ahhh, well it used to. There were some problems with people using it inappropriately so I had to remove it.

With the advent of SMH, this is a feature that would really come in handly, but I guess I can see the inappropriate use. Is there a way that you can possibly make this as a custom response trigger, allowing the user to get /tell from Anypirate to job Somepirate?

Anyway, again, glad to see yer back, and I'll be waiting for any upcoming updates with anticipation!
TammyGal
Cobalt Ocean
SO & former Captain of Boochin' Drunks - One of the founding crews of Cobalt
Lady of the all-grown-up CAPS LOCK Kiddies, Super Awesomeness!!
(awesome avatar by Darkfaery!)

Posted by Soar at Nov 29, 2008 4:07:42 AM

Woots!

Tails, so glad to see ye've returned for a quick visit. We don't mean to be taking up your time with all these wish-listy stuff and know your time is very valuable.

At least this pirate anyway.

I've been reading thru the list of requests for potential additions/changes that can be made, there's nothing that I can add, nor might I even use all of the suggestions.

But... I did have one question...

With the advent of SMH, this is a feature that would really come in handly, but I guess I can see the inappropriate use. Is there a way that you can possibly make this as a custom response trigger, allowing the user to get /tell from Anypirate to job Somepirate?

Anyway, again, glad to see yer back, and I'll be waiting for any upcoming updates with anticipation!

Hmm....

Here is the problem that occured when it first came out.

The system worked just as you would have thought. If the jobbing contact saw a message "Job <PirateName>" over general chat or via /tell, QM would add the text "/job <PirateName>" to the users chat message queue to be sent at the next possible opening.
Then people began sending multiple chat messages to job the same person over and over. The person getting the job invitations had to keep refusing each invite and eventually, they of course got really annoyed.

However I had a bit of think about it and realized that, in all probability, those people sending multiple job messages weren't intentionally griefing. What was happening was they were sending the message to job thier mate. Then thier mate would refuse the invitation, which the original pirate misses in the general chat log. So they wonder, why hasn't my mate been jobbed yet, and thus send another request to have them jobbed.

This problem could be solved with some smarter programming on my side, that works like this...

JackPirate says, "Job JillPirate"
[QM sends out the job invite to JillPirate]
JillPirate has been invited to job for 'TheCrew'
[JillPirate refuses invite]
JillPirate has declined the job offer for 'TheCrew'
[QM remembers her name, that stuck-up little weasel...]
[QM automatically sends the following message to JackPirate]
You tell JackPirate, "JillPirate has already refused a jobbing invite,
please ask her to apply in person by sending a /tell to me
containing only the words 'Job me'."
If no one can think of any problems I'd like to impliment this code for the coming patch.

On the Linux problem, can anyone test and confirm the following for me?

Under Linux, to copy paste text in to PP I would need to:
1] Select the text somewhere on the desktop.
2] Press Ctl-C.
3] Select the PP chat input buffer. Taking care that the source text does not get deleted.
4] Press Ctl-V.

Also does Cut (Ctl-X) work the same way?

EDIT : With regards to the personal booty couter overhaul.
These are the "booty received" chat lines I've gathered so far. Let me know if I'm missing any :

Ye received 130 pieces of eight from treasure recently hauled aboard!
Ye received 120 pieces of eight as your initial cut of the booty!
Ye received 90 pieces of eight from treasure chests!
You received 261 pieces of eight as your cut of the booty!
Yer portion of the bounty for sinking this ship is 96 pieces of eight!

Thanks mates!

Arbedar!
Tailspin

Posted by Wheebiscuit at Nov 29, 2008 9:38:18 AM

EDIT : With regards to the personal booty couter overhaul. These are the "booty received" chat lines I've gathered so far. Let me know if I'm missing any :

Your list looks complete to me. I assume you are changing the auto-divvy to 50% from 75% so the amount shown for the booty is accurate.

Can you make the % of auto-divvy in a voyage adjustable in case OOO changes it (again)??

Also, could a voyage total be added to the "Reset" message we get after divvy? "You have received a total of X,XXX PoE for this voyage. Would you like to reset blah blah blah"

And another upon sinking / severe damage (limps back to port)?

I really don't mean to burden you. Hopefully these are pretty easy requests.

Again, I am happy to help in anyway I can. And I am VERY happy to see these changes coming.

Oh, I know the auto-job thing is switchable which is good. I fear the malicious pirate who spams a ship with dozens of "job XXX" just to generate jobbing messages to random pirates on the dock coming from an unsuspecting ship captain. I have enough trouble remembering to turn it off on someone else's ship in my crew.

Aarghbird
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

Posted by treese at Nov 29, 2008 4:17:27 PM

[QM sends out the job invite to JillPirate]
JillPirate has been invited to job for 'TheCrew'
[JillPirate refuses invite]
JillPirate has declined the job offer for 'TheCrew'
[QM remembers her name, that stuck-up little weasel...]
[QM automatically sends the following message to JackPirate]
You tell JackPirate, "JillPirate has already refused a jobbing invite,
please ask her to apply in person by sending a /tell to me
containing only the words 'Job me'."

If no one can think of any problems I'd like to impliment this code for the coming patch.

The only thing I can see with this is to be able to clear it when closing the current session of QM... Lets say you've had this incident for one block and JillPirate declines... another block or event what if JillPirate does want to come job after all, Jackpirate is her boyfriend and I'm sure has some persuasion on her to come out and make some PoE. :P
TammyGal
Cobalt Ocean

Posted by Soar at Nov 29, 2008 4:43:01 PM

Your list looks complete to me. I assume you are changing the auto-divvy to 50% from 75% so the amount shown for the booty is accurate.

Can you make the % of auto-divvy in a voyage adjustable in case OOO changes it (again)??

Also, could a voyage total be added to the "Reset" message we get after divvy? "You have received a total of X,XXX PoE for this voyage. Would you like to reset blah blah blah"

And another upon sinking / severe damage (limps back to port)?

I really don't mean to burden you. Hopefully these are pretty easy requests.

Again, I am happy to help in anyway I can. And I am VERY happy to see these changes coming.

Oh, I know the auto-job thing is switchable which is good. I fear the malicious pirate who spams a ship with dozens of "job XXX" just to generate jobbing messages to random pirates on the dock coming from an unsuspecting ship captain. I have enough trouble remembering to turn it off on someone else's ship in my crew.

Aarghbird
Yep, everything you have mentioned here has been included for the coming patch. Thanks for the heads up on triggering a booty reset window for sinking/expulsion, I had completely forgot about that.

The only thing I can see with this is to be able to clear it when closing the current session of QM... Lets say you've had this incident for one block and JillPirate declines... another block or event what if JillPirate does want to come job after all, Jackpirate is her boyfriend and I'm sure has some persuasion on her to come out and make some PoE. :P
Okie dokie, I'll be sure to have it clear the name list everytime QM shuts down.

Thanks mates :]

Arbedar!
Tailspin

Posted by BloodTaker at Nov 30, 2008 7:42:47 AM
Two things.

One, my autojobbing is not working. I do not know why, when I press the options button it says, "Invalid floating point operation." Any ideas?

Second, after I hit the "Go" button to lauch QM I get a message saying, "List index out of bounds (0)". Again, any ideas?

Thanks.
BloodTaker

Posted by maxdsterling at Nov 30, 2008 2:15:47 PM
BloodTaker wrote: 
One, my autojobbing is not working. I do not know why, when I press the options button it says, "Invalid floating point operation." Any ideas?

Sounds like a busted file somewhere. More than likely it's your Settings.txt file, but it could be something broken in the executable. Easiest way is to flush delete the program directory and reinstall and see if that solves the problem.

BloodTaker wrote: 
Second, after I hit the "Go" button to lauch QM I get a message saying, "List index out of bounds (0)". Again, any ideas?

Reading a little further up on the page:
Soar wrote: 
EDIT : I think I have found the problem with the list index out of bounds error. It is likely being caused by logging in with two PP clients at the same time. This causes your Yohoho.log file to empty completely. The current version of QM2 can't handle an empty log file. This will be fixed in the coming patch. If you get this error you will need to close all PP clients and QM, then restart a single PP client first, log in to your characer, and finally start QM.

Silverspoon
Echidna's Children

Posted by BloodTaker at Dec 1, 2008 8:55:26 AM
I will try it, thanks :)

Edit: I copied and pasted settings.txt off a friend after reinstalling it and still not working, that made it work. Thanks :)
BloodTaker

Posted by Loren_S at Dec 8, 2008 2:20:07 AM
I noticed that you get message of pirate applying via notice board if you are in a game. Can we trigger jobbing on that also. I'm willing to fight a bot or carry a spare table with me while JCing or loading a greenie WB. Hitting the button while trying to get some hearties is not a huge thing but could be spared.

(requires that text-field-preserving feature I suggested above).

Posted by Soar at Dec 8, 2008 2:45:25 AM

I noticed that you get message of pirate applying via notice board if you are in a game. Can we trigger jobbing on that also. I'm willing to fight a bot or carry a spare table with me while JCing or loading a greenie WB. Hitting the button while trying to get some hearties is not a huge thing but could be spared.

I think I looked at this one a while back and had problems due to the chat message not always showing in all cases. I could take another pass at it but I think I'd really like to get this one out the door by the end of the coming weekend.

Some good news though, I was able to put in your suggestion of preserving the clipboard data. Well text anyways, pictures and other data types are just too varied in format to cover them all.

Also thanks to a handy little trick I learnt on this thread , I was able to create a button that will refresh the onboard crew list accurately and completely anytime the user wants. (Finally!! :) )

Arbedar!
Tailspin

Posted by Rhoaleper at Dec 8, 2008 5:19:04 AM

EDIT : With regards to the personal booty couter overhaul.
These are the "booty received" chat lines I've gathered so far. Let me know if I'm missing any :

Ye received 130 pieces of eight from treasure recently hauled aboard!
Ye received 120 pieces of eight as your initial cut of the booty!
Ye received 90 pieces of eight from treasure chests!
You received 261 pieces of eight as your cut of the booty!
Yer portion of the bounty for sinking this ship is 96 pieces of eight!

Thanks mates!

Arbedar!
Tailspin

There's also the one for controlling flags in BK cades...
Spheniscine on Obsidian
Was Rhoaleper in all dub oceans, but based in Viridian

Posted by maxdsterling at Dec 8, 2008 8:22:17 PM

I think I looked at this one a while back and had problems due to the chat message not always showing in all cases. I could take another pass at it but I think I'd really like to get this one out the door by the end of the coming weekend.

Some good news though, I was able to put in your suggestion of preserving the clipboard data. Well text anyways, pictures and other data types are just too varied in format to cover them all.

Also thanks to a handy little trick I learnt on this thread , I was able to create a button that will refresh the onboard crew list accurately and completely anytime the user wants. (Finally!! :) )

Arbedar!
Tailspin

I have noticed that if you take your hands off the keyboard/mouse when an autochat wants to invoke, it works smoothly. Meaning that users using keystrokes/mouseclicks can and do return focus to the puzzle window before the text is "pasted".

Is it possible to 'lock out' (or buffer) user input for the few microscopic milliseconds that occur during the times interaction is required to the window? I know that AutoHotKey something to force such a lockout and buffering of keystrokes/mouse clicks with moderate success (lockout works, buffering not so much). I don't know what functions they use, but perhaps you could "copy the syntax" of the underlying API stuff.

If you are able to keep user input from interrupting the chat and info gathering tasks, it would make everything that much more cleaner (and 100% more reliable).
Silverspoon
Echidna's Children

Posted by treese at Dec 9, 2008 10:23:41 PM

If you are able to keep user input from interrupting the chat and info gathering tasks, it would make everything that much more cleaner (and 100% more reliable).

Yes please.

There's nothing more annoying than typing out a nice long statement while receiving a "job me" tell and having your statement get jobbed while yer jobber gets telled, the whole thing goes bye bye..... and yer sitting there wondering what in the heck just happened, realizing you have to do the same thing over again hoping you don't get that "job me" tell again the second time.
TammyGal
Cobalt Ocean

Posted by maxdsterling at Dec 10, 2008 2:54:28 AM

Yes please.

There's nothing more annoying than typing out a nice long statement while receiving a "job me" tell and having your statement get jobbed while yer jobber gets telled, the whole thing goes bye bye..... and yer sitting there wondering what in the heck just happened, realizing you have to do the same thing over again hoping you don't get that "job me" tell again the second time.

How about while writing a note on a trinket (like the expensive engagement and wedding rings i bought for me wench?)

I admit I've lost 2 rings this way.
Silverspoon
Echidna's Children

Posted by Soar at Dec 10, 2008 6:02:58 AM

Yes please.

How about while writing a note on a trinket (like the expensive engagement and wedding rings i bought for me wench?)

I admit I've lost 2 rings this way.

Ok was thinking about both these problems. You guys are actually talking about opposite ends of the same stick here, but no worries ;)

The user input block might be possible. I'll have a poke around and see what I can find. I'll probably create it with a toggle option as many of the puzzles are twitch based and the chat sending system is theoretically supposed to work while puzzling (haven't checked on it lately though).

The chat clearing while you are typing has been a problem since forever. I can only think four ways to solve it.

[1] The current system where users have to press the Hold button to pause the chat sending queue while they are doing anything they don't want interupted. Unfortunately being user dependant is often forgotten.

[2] OCR to check if there is something in the chat buffer. No... heheh, just... no.

[3] A system wide key hook that will monitor keystroke activity and pause the chat sending queue if there has been any typing in the last few seconds. Sounds good, except that key hooks are one of the primary tools of hackers and including this type of code may set off some alarm bells.

[4] Using a similar system as I have used in the new crew list refresh function to select and copy out anything in the PP chat buffer. This can then be checked to see if anything is actually there. The problems with this is the new system isn't lightening fast, it takes a second or two it seems. Also if you happen to hit a key while the text in the buffer is selected (very likely as you are probably in the middle of typing it) you will end up clearing it yourself.

I'd really like to fix it as I know it's annoying, but I just can't find a way. Maybe one day.

Arbedar!
Tailspin

Posted by Loren_S at Dec 10, 2008 9:05:36 AM
Maybe the real question behind it is: Why is it so slow?

I can type Ctrl-A/CtrL-C in a split second. Even given that there might be some context switches a program should be able to do it reasonably fast.

Are you accessing the actual chatfields or sending keystrokes? Maybe the other way is more suitable?

(Asking OOO for a remote control API in the client is another posibility, though not very likely to be implemented ;) )

Posted by maxdsterling at Dec 10, 2008 10:35:44 PM

I can type Ctrl-A/CtrL-C in a split second. Even given that there might be some context switches a program should be able to do it reasonably fast.

Are you accessing the actual chatfields or sending keystrokes? Maybe the other way is more suitable?

(Asking OOO for a remote control API in the client is another posibility, though not very likely to be implemented ;) )

Telling windows API to interface with the java window is slow enough to get a keystroke or two inbetween "robot" steps. Because the application focus must change not once, twice, but four+ times just to copy and paste text, it takes a significant "instant".

Because it's Java, windows API can't recognize the status of the chatbox (else it'd be super simple - just copy the text into a variable and bypass the clipboard). Even using a macro program to quickly emulate keystrokes would be too slow.

Wishful thinking on the interfacing...
Silverspoon
Echidna's Children

Posted by Soar at Dec 10, 2008 11:44:07 PM

Pretty much all of the controls on the PP interface are private. Some of the API functions work, in some places, and where they don't QM fills in the gaps with keystrokes. Also some functions take a bit longer than they would normally, so QM uses wait buffers and loops to ensure everything it needed to happen has happened before moving on. Try as I do, I just can't get around these speed bumps.*shrug*

Rest assured that I do do an awful lot of messing about with the systems that interact with both programs :]
Some things that seem so straight forward when I first design them in my head, turn out to be horrible monsters when I go to code them. Like the new crew refresh function. At the heart of it, there are only about 8 lines of code that matter. But it took me 5 hours and half a bottle of Myers to get those 8 lines working smoothly with the PP client.

Arbedar!
Tailspin

Posted by treese at Dec 11, 2008 2:02:48 AM
I have sort of a mind for mechanics, and I'm a tinkerer, admittedly, only periodically. I have a basic grasp of how the processes work between QM and the game, and such. I'm not a programmer. At the moment, I've not a clue as to how to fix the issue of QM's auto chat interrupting the user's normal chat or putting messages on trinkets, etc. There might not be a solution, and to me that's acceptable. It helps to know that this interruption could happen and not to freak out about it when it does.

One thing to take note of, and I've seen this happen with a few of the Game updates...

One minute, QM works perfectly, all chat issues are squared away and QM and the game are purring together nicely.

OOO then decides to present a game update which changes the way something works that QM relies upon, or that QM effects, therefore QM doing what it was initially designed to do now does something it's totally not supposed to do because of a OOO based game change.

Then we have things going on that we've never heard of, and masses of folks with HWFO saying QM is broken.

I've seen this happen with something they changed in the way chat scrolls, ergo, QM's triggered auto responses toggle the 3 way chat displays. (I believe this is on the fix list...woot!)

The other one, list error out of bounds, or whatever that error is that we sometimes get when the game log file's chache is not properly set... Never happened before.

Another one, back in the old days, when an officer was not on a station, they would get the message that "joebloe applied for a job", triggering a blacklist or gold list tone instantaneously. We now only get this message when the officer is on a station or in a puzzle, hence the statement I read earlier about playing poker while jobbing (LOLLZ!).

And several others, I'm sure.

With this idea in mind, looking at old ideas in new ways would be necessary, as would keeping on top of any OOO changes and how they could effect the way QM works.

We can't very well keep OOO from making changes to the game that effect the way QM works. They could release an update to the game tomorrow that would make QM utterly and completely unusable, and it's back to the drawing board for poor Tailspin. (Baaaah!)

Game updates are something we QM users, tinkerers and Tails will have to keep on top of as the changes come about.

If QM's not working at all for you now... be patient and keep up on this thead.

Please forgive my latenight ramblings as it's now 5 am and I've not been to sleep yet. :)

Just wanted to say this is a fabulous application. Tails, I'm glad yer back for some much needed updates. Max, I'm glad yer involved and learning lots, and I'm glad to be able to throw in my lil tidbits of input along with everyone else's, when I can.

Ok, now I sound like I'm drunk...oh wait, I'm the captain!
TammyGal
Cobalt Ocean

Posts: 759   Pages: 26   [ First Page | Previous Page | 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 | Next Page | Last Page]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates