mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 25, 2020 6:42:04 AM

Posted by tcarr at Jan 9, 2007 2:41:54 PM
Re: Puzzle Codename: Nibbler
Progress report:
My desktop Nibbler now generates the initial puzzle for several different difficulty levels, and displays the sprites correctly. I'm using ugly "programmer art", so if an arrrrtist would like to join the team, I'd be grateful.

There doesn't appear to be room on the board for both a text version of all the clues and small snapshots of other player's boards for cooperative mode. I think what I'll need to do is leave room for a single text clue, and have it update when a player clicks one of the pictorial clues (so that players who do not understand the pictures get some assistance - and some people *like* reading the Pirate clues).

I'm not doing very much toward the cooperative mode *yet*. I figure we need to get the one-player game working decently first.

For version one, the three difficulty levels are:
1: Twelve clues (one for each row, each column) and twelve hint tokens (crackers).

2: Twelve clues, six crackers.

3: 5-6 clues, six crackers.

From my experience with Parfait and Feasting, *sometimes* 12 clues will be enough to completely determine a puzzle. 12 clues and six hints (if used judiciously) are always ample. Level 3 might be too hard, if we expect 6 boards total. Level 1 might be too hard for complete beginners - if that turns out to be the case, I can add an even easier level that has some starting fruits already placed.

We do not need (or even want) starting boards where the puzzle can be completely determined. Players should use strategy with the hint tokens, aiming for having a few fruits on the board in addition to a full row/column. When the row/column is completed, it is cleared and a new board generated (I haven't coded that part yet), but any other remaining fruits will still be on the board somewhere, which will make the next puzzle easier even if there are fewer hints left.

The idea with version 1 is to just get a prototype up and running, so that we have a basis for discussions here. I'm hoping to have it up by this weekend. (back to full time work on Monday)

Screenie of what I have so far:

----------------------------------------
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates