mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 25, 2020 7:39:33 PM

Posted by LongJohnGrey at Sep 28, 2005 2:21:26 PM
Re: Who Wants to be Hades' Governor? Contest Entries
Hmm.. Jorvik...

When the loots are gone, the seriousness begins? Naahhh...

#1. I will embargo all flags. ALL FLAGS. Each and every one.

What, I don't have "embargo all"? Ok, I'll embargo all the flags on the fame list, and all their direct allies. And, all the crews->flag from the crew fame list as well.

#2. Taxes will be raised. BUT: Any flag with only one shop gets a full refund. Any stall gets a full refund. Any shop that wants to be sold will be repurchased with Hades(R) brand poe refinancing (TM).

#3. All repurchased shops will be converted -- with Nemo's approval -- to an incorrectly colored herb, guaranteeing that (A) Anyone that comes after will have a "Devil of a time" governing the island :-) (You can not pave over herbs, right?), and (B) Nemo will have someone other than Cleaver to blame.

#4. Each time a shop is repurchased, the island goes into debt. How will that be handled? Why, with a negative tournament, that's how.

Yes, if we spend 300,000 to remove a shop, then 300,000 will go into a negative tournament. So what's a negative tournament?

Hearts, with the goal of scoring as many points as possible instead of as few as possible.

Now, a hearts tournament will have to be manually scheduled/run. Random seating will prevent (hopefully) cheating/unauthorized teaming.

#5. 300,000? Yes, with high taxes and lots of embargoes, shops just aren't worth very much. 300,000 per shop, no more.

#6. Now, we don't want to destroy the economy completely. The palace will purchase basic goods dockside from merchants, and then resell to local stalls. This will be funded partly from taxes, and partly from Hades(R) brand poe. Again, all poe taken from Hades for this is negative poe to be returned in negative tourneys.

#7. Alas, between repurchasing, merchant trades, and tourneys, taxes probably won't be enough to pay for it all. Short of massive poe donations from other people on Midnight, this will require massive poe from Hades, which may reduce my chances of putting this into action.

---

Fit the second: Blockade board events

So what's the point of having a big old island that can't be blockaded and having that blockade board just go unused?

We'll have regularly scheduled blockade board events. On days when there are no announced upcoming blockades (generally, this means Sundays), there will be such events as:

1. Paintball sloops. Sloop versus sloop, one hit and you're out.
2. Run the blockade. Can you get your sloop past the defenders?
3. Follow the leader. This should prove interesting. A big ship lays down a course, and the best sloop to follow it is the winner. What's that? SOmeone's in your way, and you can't follow? Well, ram it or shoot it, obviously.

Additional events, with an eye to the silly, will be held, with ideas welcome.

/em remenisces to the 24 hour format where there was plenty of time for special events at each blockade...

---

Edit #3. Inspired by ... (Somewhere on the furniture thread)

I will aquire a chess set, and set it up in a room somewhere on the island. I will also make sure I have spare pieces.

If someone wants to play chess, I'll be available for it. (At my best, years ago, I was rated between 1550 and 1650 by a computerized chess rating program.)

And no, it will NOT be in the park.

Would you, could you, in a park?
Would you, could you, on a lark?

I would not could not in a park
I would not could not on a lark

I would not could not on a ship
I would not could not in a dip

I would not could not in a stall
Nor in the palace's grand hall

I do not like mutant chess with tag
I do not like them Sam In Bag

(What, you expected me to be completely serious? A serious game of chess from someone several years out of practice is as serious as I get, but it solves the requests for Chess, right?

Checkers would be much easier, btw.

Just let me figure out how to do backgammon...)
----------------------------------------
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates