mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 26, 2020 10:36:06 PM

Posted by Greg4545 at Feb 12, 2013 5:09:45 PM
Re: Tyranny...
Ahoy.

While cane, wood and iron are definitely needed to make rum, the biggest commodity in distilling is labour. As a distiller, I have discovered this early on.

There aren't many people in the game who can provide expert distilling labour and not that many more than can crank out skilled. The problem lies in the puzzle. While some love the distilling puzzle, and it is certainly an awesome puzzle, most pirates I talk to about this find the puzzle too hard and consequently stay away from it. In fact, from the discussions I had, I would hazard a guess that it's one of the hardest puzzles in the game and the least one played. Again, just a guess, but it certainly doesn't enjoy the popularity of blacksmithing, for instance.

This leaves distillers in a pickle. Most find it hard to get labour and when they do, the employees often leave the puzzle inactive enough so that it expires, without a desire to refresh it. As a consequence, many distillers provide their own labour, through the elaborate network of alts and second accounts.

I know I am generalizing here, but having been in the rum business for some time, I have learned a thing or two about how this world works. Distillers who start a new distillery must contend with the fact that they will need all three kinds of labour if they want to compete in swill, grog and rum. Rum is where the best profits are, usually. By comparison, the Ironworkers only need two kinds of labour (basic and skilled) to provide all three kinds of shot. That fact, combined with a bigger popularity of the ironworking puzzle, makes an IM a better business prospect. The profits in rum are rarely as high as those in cannon balls. Mugs (for those ambitious who make them) are also a much worse seller than swords.

All the above are part of the reason why distilleries exist in abundance in some parts of the ocean and are practically dead in another. If you combine this with the fact that the archipelago in question has a very unfavorable distribution of sugar cane in relation to Jubilee, it's easy to see why Jubilee is not an attractive target for rum makers and those who have tried doing business there have quickly gotten discouraged.

That said, as mentioned before, an enterprising distiller with some time on his hands and a good knowledge of commod running, could probably make a good buck there, but even then, the profits in rum are rarely big, untill you can cover serveral nearby islands with your product.

Blackmane

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates