mvnForum Homepage

Print at Nov 30, 2020 3:13:36 AM

Posted by wrs1864b at Jan 17, 2009 11:59:40 AM
Re: Messy Logs
bump!

This subject came up again recently, so I guess I'll add some of my comments here too since they really weren't addressed in the thread.

First, regarding earlier comments, I'd rather not see XML formatting, it can be really hard to read. If you want something along those lines, I would rather see YAML or JSON. I think they make a better compromise between being easily readable by humans, parsable by simple tools and flexible enough to handle anything.

Some of the channels you can determine by parsing the record for things like "<name> flag officer chats, ", but others can not be distinguished. For example, typing "/me forced Cleaver to walk the plank." will show up in the log exactly as if I actually forced someone to walk the plank. This messes up my log parsing scripts, and I suspect things like Quartermaster.

An unambiguous way of determining multi-line chats would be nice too. The rants that the bots on the cursed isles messed up my scripts also. I've added some code that correctly determines which lines have an embedded newline that gets it right about 99% of the time, but it is a pain.

Putting the channel tag on the very end of the line instead of right after the timestamp might break fewer scripts, but either place would work for me.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates