Posted by tcarr
at Jul 30, 2007 6:46:38 PM
Logical Crafting: Mackerel contestant feedback thread
This thread is for feedback on Mackerel for those entering the Logical Crafting event. The logic puzzle part will be posted on August 10th; see the thread in Events for details. One lucky winner will get a sloop named either "Logical Mackerel", "Puzzled Mackerel" or "Crafty Mackerel", on any ocean. Runners-up (if any) will get a small prize as well (in round one it was chocolate chip cookies). This will be the final round of Logical Crafting.
Go here to start.
After you are familiar with Mackerel, you can start posting your feedback to this thread. Please do not spam the thread, but you are definitely encouraged to post multiple times, as you think of new things to say. Tcarr will read every single post carefully, and respond to some of them.
Please note that Mackerel is a Game Gardens prototype. You will need the latest Java plug-in for it to work, and will have to log in to the Game Gardens server. Your YPP username and password will work, or you can create a new account.
Easy questions (one or two points each):
More challenging questions (points awarded based on usefulness of answer):
- Was the quickstart helpful in learning how to play?
- How easy was it to learn to play?
- What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
- Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
- Does the analogy work for weaving?
- Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game on a given level, using the default lobby parameters? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
- Which level did you find to be the most fun?
- What is your favorite part of the game?
New questions added late:
- If you tried playing using just three colors, did you notice any significant difference in difficulty as compared to the default four colors?
- If you experimented with the max length slider, did you notice any significant difference in difficulty or enjoyment of the game, compared to the default number of 12?
- How often do you get a bead? Does this feel like the right amount, or do you get far too many of them? Would you like an option to destroy a bead that you don't want?
- How often do you change the width of the loom? Do you like having this option?
- Playing on the level that you enjoy the most, what strategy or technique did you use? For example, on level one a rather mindless strategy would be to leave the loom at the starting width, pick the color that you have the most of, drop spools of that color on the loom until you have at least 4 completed rows, then drop the pattern on them to get a Zebra bonus. Repeat, using the scissors to clear the loom if you need room.
- If you played enough to be able to make fairly consistent Incredibles on level 3 or 4, is the strategy that you used to do this something that could be easily coded? Board farming is allowed; boards only count if you have placed a spool on the loom.
- Mackerel is a variation of Pickerel, from round one. If you are familiar with Pickerel, which of the two games do you prefer? Why?
- If you spot any bugs, please report them. If you can tell how to reproduce the bug, it is worth more points.
- If there is something that you think would significantly help the game, please post about it as well. What would make the game more fun?
Deadline for entries to this thread is noon Pacific, Sunday August 12th.
- Suggest a better word than "Zebra" for the "well you matched the pattern but got the colors wrong" bonus.
- In YPP puzzles when you advance to a slightly harder level, a panel is displayed giving you a tip on how to play the game better. Suggest one or more tips to be used for Mackerel
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight