• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3317 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Kochac

Dockpressing

Dockpressing is still to me one of the most annoying practices to me in the game. This morning I got pressed twice on the docks by the same greeter on two different pirates (one that was still green). It was becoming a thorn in my side. There's a difference between recruiting and blatantly pressing. I don't understand it either because there's a whole line of eager pirates waiting to join the few crews out there. We're all experienced pirates from other oceans so we know the social "norms". Come on.
----------------------------------------
Better known as..
Another Korkchop
..or Nocet

Trying to stop these demons that keep dancing in my head.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kochac at May 8, 2008 3:05:49 AM]
[May 8, 2008 3:05:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
antonkraft

Re: Dockpressing

/complain username message
Yaruto
Antix tells you, "For some strange reason i picture you as this widom-like old man who reads dictionary's by an open fire as a hobby."
Nooblar tells ye, "But, i had fun eventhough you're sweedish and confusing <3"
[May 8, 2008 3:07:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

If someone dockpresses me I first tell them it is wrong to do it. If I notice they are still doing it I'll take a job and /shout over /jcrew about how terrible the officer/crew is. Once I get dismissed if I notice they are still doing it then a /complain and /blackspot go out.

Dockpressing is unacceptable. Don't do it.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[May 8, 2008 3:08:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
grizzwg

It was becoming a thorn in my side

Is it sad that Im from Hunter and I got this?
Crabitar

Cleansanchez-Hunter-Slippery When Wet
Wokbok tells ye, "Play nice Dickface"
Ye told Wokbok, "Yes mom."
[May 8, 2008 6:22:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Grizzwg    Cabinnaw sux [Link]  Go to top 
dulcinea2168

Re: Jobbing For A Crew the new Dockpressing?

Well this was a first for me ...

Two different crews were using the Jobbing for a Crew function on the notice board to hire random pirates into their crews permanently. They would job you from the nb, invite you to their cabins, and then send you an invite to join the crew permanently.

Seems to me this is just as bad as dockpressing. Is it just as reportable, I wonder?
Aldonza ~ Dulcinea
Sage ~ Malachite (& Viridian)

The dichotomy of me. :D

Rafikie said:

I know where to place my wood.

[May 8, 2008 6:38:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    gamegirl2168 [Link]  Go to top 
klostro

If someone dockpresses me I first tell them it is wrong to do it. If I notice they are still doing it I'll take a job and /shout over /jcrew about how terrible the officer/crew is. Once I get dismissed if I notice they are still doing it then a /complain and /blackspot go out.

Dockpressing is unacceptable. Don't do it.

Although I agree that dockpressing SHOULD be a crime, the yppedia says otherwise. And blackspotting someone for dockpressing is considered blackspot abuse, and not recommended.

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Blackspot wrote: 
Blackspots should not be used for problems involving trade requests, job offers, hearty requests or puzzle challenges. Use /mute or /dnd instead for these cases.

{Klostro and Wangchung} - Galene says, "Too bad we can't just use the Black Ship as a tugboat, haha." Cronus Smiles.
[May 8, 2008 7:02:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homelessirc.net    Klostrophobik    Klostrophobik    Would you like to spank me? [Link]  Go to top 
catzubmsve

Two different crews were using the Jobbing for a Crew function on the notice board to hire random pirates into their crews permanently. They would job you from the nb, invite you to their cabins, and then send you an invite to join the crew permanently.

Seems to me this is just as bad as dockpressing. Is it just as reportable, I wonder?

QFT...I'd rather pillage with a crew before I join full time...although..I did join a crew within minutes of hitting Malachite...because there's a lot of familiar faces in the crew.

Did my first pillage last night and as soon as I clicked the hire button I was nailed with 10-15 people wanting to job.Was fun seeing the jobber board light up...LOL.
Redbrdterry (on all oceans)
Senior Officer of the crew Mermaids Typhoon
Lord of the flag Puzzleholics Anonymous
[May 8, 2008 7:37:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sensualtzer    averyrealboy [Link]  Go to top 
Marmink

No its not reportable. You would have to willingly apply for a job for these crews. You can report someone else for your own actions. =P
Marinko of the Sage Ocean
[May 8, 2008 8:13:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Does being blackspotted not prevent someone from offering new job requests?
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[May 8, 2008 9:22:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dulcinea2168

my understanding is that blackspotting prevents someone from chatting for a set amount of time. it's supposed to be used to 'teach' people to not use offensive language. (though it's been awhile since i've looked it up on the yppedia, so i may have that wrong. LOL)
Aldonza ~ Dulcinea
Sage ~ Malachite (& Viridian)

The dichotomy of me. :D

Rafikie said:

I know where to place my wood.

[May 8, 2008 9:38:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    gamegirl2168 [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Blackspotting is designed to put an immediate stop to someone who is being a public nuisance in a chat channel. It doesn't stop people from sending job invites as far as I know or doing puzzles or talking in private chat channels.

According to Lizthegrey during her RInger days, dockpressing (inviting someone to join your crew without speaking to them first) is a complainable offence, because OOO has found that crews that dockpress tend to offer a poor experience to new players. I can't remember what the ruling was on jobbing to a ship with no intention of setting sail, but it seems pretty deceptive to me.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 8, 2008 10:16:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Johnnyrico

I can't remember what the ruling was on jobbing to a ship with no intention of setting sail, but it seems pretty deceptive to me.

I believe what they were talking about (the Jobbing for a crew function) is the function available to all officers to put a job up on the notice board that a crew is looking for pirates. It is not actually jobbing to a ship with no intention to set sail. I think the notice comes up as something to the effect of "Sweetness is looking for hearty pirates to join the crew XXX". As this is a function available through the game, I hardly see how it would be complainable (and yes, I realize many have used game functions nefariously and been banned for it, but the entire purpose of this function is to attract pirates to a crew outside of a pillage). As has been previously mentioned, you must actively click the apply button on the jobbing board to be jobbed in this manner and therefore you have the choice of whether to take the job offer or not. Not reading the notice board closely enough to determine if it is jobbing for a pillage or general jobbing is not a reason to blackspot or complain someone.

Just my 2 poe
J.
Evony
Dark Warriors
[May 8, 2008 10:28:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

I had a quite different circumstance in mind, one that arose on other oceans - where someone would post a normal pillaging job offer, accept all applicants thereby whisking them aboard a vessel under the pretences of providing them with an opportunity to pillage, then instead of setting sail, dock(ship?)pressing them without ever leaving port.

I see no possible objections to someone who posts the virtually unused 'help this person with random unnamed task' job-type offer.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 8, 2008 10:53:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mr_Monkey_12

Please don't blame Thorn, I spend half hour on the same dock as him and he didn't even move. HE ISN'T DOCKPRESSING!!! IT IS CALLED PILLAGING =p
Anubis (Only comes in Malachite flavor)
Mrmonkey (Only comes in Hunter flavor)

If one writes a book about failer, and no one reads it, does it succeed?

Sorry if my spelling/grammar is bad/incorrect English isn't my first language.
[May 8, 2008 12:54:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.google.com [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

I have been jobbed twice on Malachite so far. First time the OIC just sent an invite to join full time ad announced that there was no pillaging today. I wasn't sure if this was complainable so I just jumped ship, could find another ship to board.

Next day I had a sucessful pillage and asked to join the crew permanently. After joining I found out the private statement instructs officers to dockpress greenies.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[May 8, 2008 1:40:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kochac

Please don't blame Thorn, I spend half hour on the same dock as him and he didn't even move. HE ISN'T DOCKPRESSING!!! IT IS CALLED PILLAGING =p

I did not say Thorn because it wasn't. Actually I didn't point fingers at any pirate in particular.
Better known as..
Another Korkchop
..or Nocet

Trying to stop these demons that keep dancing in my head.
[May 8, 2008 7:24:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pomfret

Some thorny people seems to think that sending random tells to people on the docks to join crew is not dockpressing because, umm... it's only in a /tell.
Pomfret of Midnight Cerulean and Most Oceans
Except when I am Scroogie or somebody else

Stupid merger made me change my signature...
[May 8, 2008 7:46:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gotkevlar

it's not dockpressing because he calls it "attacking in tells," which is also "telling everybody he sees on the dock to join his crew."

believe me, i know. i've been through his crew-recruiting chat short-cuts.
Kevlar
[May 8, 2008 10:12:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates