• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2155 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
DragonFax

Arrr, Where be the whalin' Reply to this Post

I don't mean yer screamin banshee's or yer new fangle rock music. But rather yer time honored sea farin art of chasin down the seas most dangerous of behemoths.

For those not akin to stealin and for the opportunity of a young swabbie freshly off the docks to grab some valuable sea battle experience without the loss of life, limb or treasure.

A whalin tour could task a good sailor with all the same risk and need most of the skills of the pillagin life, with the exception of yer sword fightin'.

Also the business of whale commodities could be a sure economic boost to this region for those land lubbin' "Biznis Andre manure's" I hear so much about these days.

Arrr, maybe I just miss the old days of sun, sea, and a 6 foot long shaft of steal up the gollut of the biggest prize these oceans ever see fit to share.

Think about it me hearties.
----------------------------------------
Manilabeard
Crew: Blasphemers
Flag: Libertarians
[Jul 26, 2003 10:47:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I couldn't have said it better meself. Reply to this Post

Futurama wrote: 
We're whalers on the moon!
We carry a harpoon!
But there ain't no whales
So we tell tall tales
And sing this whalin' tune!

Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 26, 2003 11:22:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Carnasis

Kraken hunt instead Reply to this Post

Arr, isn't the currently most dangerous in the game the mysterious kraken which no one has seen before but happen to be the main component of the precious black dye. Maybe that be a better target than hunting some oversized seacow. Have some sea lane designated as the kraken hunting grounds would be interesting.
[Jul 26, 2003 5:55:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jfjnpxmy

Re: Arrr, Where be the whalin' Reply to this Post

I'm no smartologist, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the more sensitive people would be somewhat annoyed by having an option to kill and disembowel a whale in the game.
[Jul 26, 2003 9:17:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jfjnpxmy [Link]  Go to top 
Stoneman

I must say that whaling is a thing that would have been cool. I know there are a lot of sensitive people about this subject. But i can`t see the problem with whaling... Probably because in my country they have always done it.. It`s a matter of traditions...
-=Stoneman, Officer of Black Death=-
-=Feared now and then=-
[Jul 27, 2003 2:38:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://tt.bulie.com    ehaanaes    Ehaanaes [Link]  Go to top 
momseq

arrr Whaling sounds like it would be fun but for any animal rights people it only a game :-)
[Jul 27, 2003 3:15:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

People who don't like it WILL THEN NOT PAY. Call it just a game as much as you like; but if you're losing even a few per cent of potential paying customers because of it, that's a fair bit of money. And I wouldn't pay for the game if it were introduced.

Krakens are mythical so THAT is only a game; and there is already a puzzle being planned for that.
[Jul 27, 2003 5:10:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Yeah, and uh, not to get too technical but I don't recall many whaling stories in the pirate mythos.

Now, if this was Berzerker! Puzzle Vikings, that would be a different story entirely.
[Jul 27, 2003 5:14:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
garf

i was going to post something along the line of whale hunting being a thing i strongly oppose in real life, but then it came to my attention that this would be hypocritical, considering i always defend first person shooters in that they are just games and have as much to do with real violence as a superman comic strip.

still, i emotinally wouldnt like that, but i'd have a hard time to argue against it.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 27, 2003 6:20:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Piracy is something I strongly oppose in real life...
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jul 27, 2003 6:31:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Hanzii wins.
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[Jul 27, 2003 6:34:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

I think the kraken (and possibly other sea monsters) would be more suitable.
[Jul 27, 2003 6:40:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

Just because I be one o those that like whales, and think they are intelligent social creatures, and have shed tears thinking that they might become extinct (no, I be not an animal rights person, I personally would love a fox fur coat ....but NOT at the cost of the species, yanno?). Methinks hunting down the evil (?) Kraken would be MUCH more to my liking. Just me opinion, and no, I wouldn't quit playing because of it, just wouldn't do it meself, eh? :)
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Jul 27, 2003 8:58:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Am I the only crusader for kraken's rights?
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 27, 2003 9:09:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skipper

Yes
[Jul 27, 2003 9:12:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

A Whalin' Life fer Me Reply to this Post

I confess to only reading Moby Dick a year or two ago, and since I've been keen on including whaling in the game. The original sea monster line-up was to include a Narwhale, which would have ellicited some useful commodity like the Kraken, but Bluebeard found it too difficult to make it look proper in Sea Battle animations, so this has been scrapped. The Kraken and other mythical sea monsters will hopefully fulfil the whaler's itch (without offending anyone too badly).
[Jul 27, 2003 9:49:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates