• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 458
Posts: 458   Pages: 16   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 55818 times and has 457 replies Next Thread
Gillie017

Sayers Rock: A New Beginning

Sayers Rock: A New Beginning

The past couple of months have seen enormous changes to the Hunter Ocean. The Ursa Archipelago economy is now a topic of considerable interest and, with the kind offer from Beyond the Veil to step aside from blockading and transfer Sayers Rock and Alkaid Island to EAC and Access Denied respectively, the Hunter Ocean is now in a position to focus on making Ursa a great place to be.

To succeed, we need coordinated plans to address the problems and to implement them well. To achieve this, and to get input from across the ocean and not just from within EAC, Access Denied or Rebel Rousers, we will seek advice from interested parties before taking major decisions.

With two large islands and one medium island within Ursa and outposts in a neighbouring archipelago, Ursa has the potential to flourish as a completely player controlled archipelago. The problems that exist need to be addressed by solutions that focus on population growth, economic activity and player activity.

Let's leave the past behind us. Let's forget the tarting about who did what and when. Let's accept the Ursa Archipelago for what it is now and focus what we, as an ocean, need to do to improve it.

Population Growth:

A population increase in Ursa is of vital importance because it will stimulate demand for products across the economy. This population increase needs to come from the full range of player experience. The islands need to retain new players who spawn on them and they need to attract existing players looking to buy a new house.

EAC will build cabins and villas on Sayers Rock to make all house types available. The villas will be left-facing to provide a floor plan that is currently unavailable here on Hunter. To encourage players to move to Sayers Rock, during May and June, EAC will refund half the PoE cost of buying most house types (mansions, estates and villas will be excluded). These refunds will be limited to one per person and may be extended in time. To receive the refund, purchase a house during this time and then contact Duckling in-game. The name of the house owner and the month of house purchase will be able to be verified by an invitation to the house. The amount to be refunded is: 625 PoE for shacks, 1,250 PoE for cabins (to be constructed), 2,500 PoE for bungalows, 5,000 PoE for cottages, 10,000 PoE for row houses, 20,000 PoE for town houses and 40,000 PoE for manors.

Economic Activity:

For the players living in and visiting Ursa, the shoppes and stalls need to offer a full range of products at prices and production times that compare favourably to those in Orion. Products need to be available from more than one outlet to enable players to make meaningful comparison of prices within Ursa. Through our own shoppes, EAC will set benchmark prices at Sayers Rock to be equal to the median prices on Aimuari Island.

While shoppes offer owners an advantage over stalls in terms of walk in orders and labour, stalls are the backbone of an island’s economy. An economic environment where stalls can be successful contributes to both population growth and player activity. Having too many shoppes lessens the advantages of shoppe ownership and is a big disincentive to players looking to open stalls. A lot of work needs to be done to turn this around. The current imbalance between the number of shoppes and stalls will be addressed by attempting to buy back the deeds to unused shoppes and dusting them (the terms of the sales are negotiable). To provide a financial incentive to players for opening new stalls on Sayers Rock, EAC will set the tax rate at 10% (half that of Aimuari Island) and will pay half the PoE component of the cost of opening a new stall. Contact Duckling in-game to receive the refund. The opening date of stalls will be able to be verified from palace records. The amount to be refunded is: 4,900 PoE for ironmongers and distilleries, 9,900 PoE for weaveries and apothecaries, and, 19,800 PoE for tailors, shipyards and furnishers.

One of the common complaints about stalls is that they are often opened by players with little experience in shop-keeping and that the economy is hurt by non-profitable stalls selling below cost. EAC will encourage high-quality commerce at Sayers Rock by providing advice to new and existing shoppe and stall owners. We will speak to as many people as we can in-game to offer this advice but please feel free to contact us in-game or through the forums. To simplify the calculation of costs and profit margins, we have developed an Access database for each shoppe type which features a user friendly interface. These files will be made available for download.

To help all shoppe and stall owners to build up stock, EAC will ship in raw commodities that can be obtained cheaply outside Ursa and sell them to Sayers Rock shoppe and stall owners at little more than cost price (to cover basic shipping costs). Manufactured commodities that are readily available on Sayers Rock will not be imported by EAC.

Player Activity:

This weekend will see the launch of a fearsome pirate crew, a player-run BK who will be hosting land- and sea-based events across Ursa with lots of prizes to be won. More details will be posted in Hunter Events in the near future.

Sayers Rock is well placed for ship-based activities; ship supplies are plentiful and well-priced, the island has routes of varying difficulty to the three adjacent islands (blue to Marlow, green to Doyle and orange to Manu), event blockades will be regularly scheduled and the Sayers to Manu route is a popular inter-archipelago foraging route.

The Sayers Rock palace will buy fruit foraged in other archipelagos at 1 PoE higher than the commodity market. For fruit foraged within the Ursa archipelago, the palace will buy at a low price and re-sell to fruit traders at a price which will enable considerable profit when sold into the Orion market. The volume of fruit that is bought will be regularly reviewed and increased as much as possible to cater for everyone. Brigand King hunters will be able to buy all types of fruit from the palace.

To help players move their ships to Ursa, we will compile a list of players who have Orion to Ursa memorised and who are willing to help chart ships (volunteers for inclusion on this list are most welcome). Please note that these people have volunteered their time and may not be immediately available but will do all they can to help. To save swabby costs for sloops, we will have unstocked plain sloops ported at Sayers Rock that can be traded for a sloop in Orion.

Please come and check out all that the island has to offer on land and at sea and join us for some friendly fountain tarting. We'd love to hear your feed-back and ideas and hope that EAC, along with Access Denied, Rebel Rousers and the ocean as a whole, we can make Ursa a great place to be.
----------------------------------------
If a bird looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a Huntard .
[Apr 29, 2008 4:52:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NickScorpio

Re: Sayers Rock: A New Beginning

One thing I can say is succeeding on Sayers Rock is that dockside price & supply on pillaging supples (rum & shot) is coming into line with that of Aimuari. So the confiscatory pricing structure that has existed in the past due to shortages with cades emptying the market is probably a thing of the past. However, having recently begun to compete in the Aim IM market, I'm not so sure that's a good thing for people trying to make PoEs

/e sighs. As an IM stall keeper, I liked the old business model.

I guess that a good start. The Supply part of supply and demand is being increased. What is being done on the demand side? Sayers-Manu as a "popular foraging route" doesn't help much and I see all kinds of give-aways to encourage people to make the plunge on the entrepreneur side. What kind of encouraging is being done on the consuming side? Or is the theory that creating a more healthy supply will attract more demand?
Hankscorpio
[Apr 29, 2008 6:42:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gillie017

Our initiatives to get people to come to Sayers Rock (housing refunds, sloop trading, and the events we are planning) will all stimulate demand. This demand can be met across the board with products that are available at prices that compare favourably to those in Orion.
If a bird looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it's probably a Huntard .
[Apr 29, 2008 7:21:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevie_boy_8

Thats a very good thought out plan.

heartily endorse ++
Man lover to Tempestblitz.
Ochubb Wrote

Step one to getting a new island for the Antheas ring is actually knowing how to drop a war chest. Which by the way, as seen by today , you fail at.

[Apr 29, 2008 7:22:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zanreth

What new incentives are there for us to pillage in Ursa if the prices are the same as in Orion? Saiph-->Queztal is an easy orangish route, and it's buyable from a shipyard, so we don't have to run around pillaging till we get an inter-arch chart.

You say that you'll have a player run BK, and that sounds cool. But what rewards will there be? I quite like my silk hankerchief, I prefer it to an extra 5k poe booty vs a BK, so what incentives do 'lower-elites/higher middle game' people have to chase this fiend around? I understand if you'd rather keep this sekrit until events start appearing, but will the player BK only be used for events?

Apart from that, the rest of the plan sounds very cool. I've always wanted a house of my own bigger than a bungalow, and financial help with that sounds awesome.
Albert, Obsidian, Defiant Armada
Calicojack, Emerald
[Apr 29, 2008 8:03:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yummy100

i might find the time to run a few pillys up there to create some demand ;)

Edit: Start making me some meds!! xD
Yummym or Yumalt

Shanoyu wrote: 
Excuse me it seems there are people making money that is not being distributed to me I would like this scenario to be ended immediately thank you kind regards have a nice day.

QFT
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yummy100 at Apr 29, 2008 8:07:05 AM]
[Apr 29, 2008 8:04:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ayawin

This gives me hope. It is highly depressing to sail a Wbar Brig full of people from doyle to sayers without seeing a single ship.
Ayawin on Hunter
Senior Officer of -Obliteration-
Prince of Seas The Day
[Apr 29, 2008 8:09:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yummy100

sorry mate ill be runnign the sayers-manu route.. orange is just so much better than blue or green routes
Yummym or Yumalt

Shanoyu wrote: 
Excuse me it seems there are people making money that is not being distributed to me I would like this scenario to be ended immediately thank you kind regards have a nice day.

QFT
[Apr 29, 2008 8:13:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dasjim

Dasjim endorses EAC's well thought out and superawesome plan. its selfless and for the good of everyone, where unscrupulous people could have made a mint, they forsaked individual riches etc for helping others.

so thanks EAC :)
Dasjim on hunter
[Apr 29, 2008 8:24:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
justjames47

I love the plan and look forward to the economic prosperity :D

however i have an issue that i would like the brain children in EAC to looking into and hopefully adress in some manner

and that is the compleat and total lack of krakens blood at sayers.
I think promoting pillaging is a great step but until pillaging in ursa really picks up us apoth/weavery/tailor owners somewhat miss out on the high priced sales. With all your other amazing ideas surely you can add kb sales to the list of improvements.

but go EAC !
Justjames on hunter
[Apr 29, 2008 8:38:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ascotte

What new incentives are there for us to pillage in Ursa if the prices are the same as in Orion?

I'm only speaking for Alkaid here, but the prices have been stable at 53poe for fine rum for a while now. They don't drop, they don't rise neither. As far as I know that's still cheaper than Aimuari.

And Good Luck EAC, looking forward to the events.
Ascotte,
member of the White Seahorse Club.
Playing on Emerald

"East-West, Huntards are best!"

tells ye, "You invented forum cades"

[Apr 29, 2008 8:39:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ToDraworNot

I love the plan and look forward to the economic prosperity :D

however i have an issue that i would like the brain children in EAC to looking into and hopefully adress in some manner

and that is the compleat and total lack of krakens blood at sayers.
I think promoting pillaging is a great step but until pillaging in ursa really picks up us apoth/weavery/tailor owners somewhat miss out on the high priced sales. With all your other amazing ideas surely you can add kb sales to the list of improvements.

but go EAC !

Yes we have a plan for KB which is being finalized. Be patient for the news of this issue. But don't worry, the issue is being taken care of.

You say that you'll have a player run BK, and that sounds cool. But what rewards will there be? I quite like my silk hankerchief, I prefer it to an extra 5k poe booty vs a BK, so what incentives do 'lower-elites/higher middle game' people have to chase this fiend around? I understand if you'd rather keep this sekrit until events start appearing, but will the player BK only be used for events?

Trust me on this. We have planned for this BK for a while now. When the BK is released you'll see how we adressed this issue, again ill have to ask for patients :)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ToDraworNot at Apr 29, 2008 9:17:23 AM]
[Apr 29, 2008 9:11:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
justjames47

Yes we have a plan for KB which is being finalized. Be patient for the news of this issue. But don't worry, the issue is being taken care of.

this calls for hugs
/e hugs
Justjames on hunter
[Edit 1 times, last edit by justjames47 at Apr 29, 2008 9:15:30 AM]
[Apr 29, 2008 9:14:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madesteven

I like the sound of this, might even a stall or 2 at Sayers.
Jacada
Senior Officer - Anarchist Syndicate
Lord of Versus Terminus
Obsidian Ocean
Defiant Armada

[Apr 29, 2008 9:29:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skurfer48

Sounds great guys! Can't wait to see everything in action, especially this BK....sounds like and awesome idea! I also think doing more event blockades, etc. is a great idea that will hopefully help bring more people into the arch!

And add me to the charting list. I have all of Orion memmed and I have the routes to Ursa memmed through Eagle and Pleiades so if anyone needs to get a ship from anywhere in Orion to anywhere in Ursa, let me know! (And if you have the chart from Edgar's to Marlowe let me know too because then I will have all of Ursa memmed as well.)
[Apr 29, 2008 9:59:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NickScorpio

Our initiatives to get people to come to Sayers Rock (housing refunds, sloop trading, and the events we are planning) will all stimulate demand. This demand can be met across the board with products that are available at prices that compare favourably to those in Orion.

I missed the one I bolded. That's a good start, I think. I'm curious about the events to see what kind of draw they might bring...like whether it's just a temporary bump or has a lasting effect. I think changing the mindset is going to be a lot tougher than most seem to think. I hope I'm wrong about that. We'll see, I guess.

I wish you luck at it. The skewed economics of the ocean is not an overall healthy thing, even though things skew in my direction at the moment.
Hankscorpio
[Apr 29, 2008 10:44:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ivole

It really makes me smile when people try improve Ursa. Duckling, you have done more than enough to deserve this island, and I know how much time and poe you have spent trying to take it.

These plans for Sayers are more than enough for me to feel a good flag has control over one of the major islands of the ocean. I realise much thought have gone into these, I applaud, good job, Duckling & EAC :)
Ivole
Death Wish
Eternal Glory
[Apr 29, 2008 1:28:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    I am your conscience. [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

You should have called it "Sayers Rock: A New Hope."

Your defense intents would practically write themselves!
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[Apr 29, 2008 2:21:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gillie017

Kraken Blood at Sayers Rock

Sayers Rock shoppe and stall owners need more KB to produce black paint and cloth.

For the next two weeks, The Sayers Rock palace will buy five KB per day at 1,000 PoE more than the highest buy price in Orion.

We will then sell the KB to the island's shoppes and stalls at their regular buy prices. There is no need for the shoppes and stalls to raise their buy prices to compete with the palace.

This plan aims to encourage people to pillage off Sayers Rock and will increase the number of KB being sold into the Sayers Rock market.

This plan enables KB trade to occur without relying on people being online to buy, but it is open to abuse. The plan is deliberately limited in quantity and time as a trial. If successful and not abused, it will be extended.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gillie017 at Apr 29, 2008 10:49:29 PM]
[Apr 29, 2008 10:32:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snarrf

One thing I can say is succeeding on Sayers Rock is that dockside price & supply on pillaging supples (rum & shot) is coming into line with that of Aimuari.

Shh don't tell anyone Sayer's is cheaper than Orion.

Muhahaha

Snarrf
[Apr 29, 2008 10:52:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zanreth

I'm only speaking for Alkaid here, but the prices have been stable at 53poe for fine rum for a while now. They don't drop, they don't rise neither. As far as I know that's still cheaper than Aimuari.

I may have misunderstood but doesnt,

Through our own shoppes, EAC will set benchmark prices at Sayers Rock to be equal to the median prices on Aimuari Island.

mean that the prices on Sayers will go up? Still, I suppose you're right that Alkaid might stay low.

I'm liking the KB plan. Seems like a good way to entice people into eliting on Sayers --> Manu.
Albert, Obsidian, Defiant Armada
Calicojack, Emerald
[Apr 29, 2008 11:31:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flamez911

CJ, I think they're just going to be setting their shoppes to the median on Aimuari to be a maximum price, not a minimum :)

e: I know the difference between medium and median. I really do.
-Flamer, reloaded.

Currently in the process of arising from the grave. Hope to see people around more :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Flamez911 at Apr 29, 2008 11:35:58 PM]
[Apr 29, 2008 11:35:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gillie017

I may have misunderstood but doesnt,

Through our own shoppes, EAC will set benchmark prices at Sayers Rock to be equal to the median prices on Aimuari Island.

mean that the prices on Sayers will go up? Still, I suppose you're right that Alkaid might stay low.

Our setting of benchmark prices is for furniture, ships, bludgeons, swords, mugs and clothes; items that are ordered directly and not those sold dockside. We are trying to ensure that people who buy at Sayers Rock get a good price.

I should have explained it better, the phrase "through our own shoppes" was too vague. Sorry for the confusion.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gillie017 at Apr 30, 2008 3:07:06 AM]
[Apr 30, 2008 3:06:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zilenserz

ooh, as an aimuari born and bred, i must say, job well done -so far! as long as this actually works, u cna see me opening up sum stalles up on sayers, thought it may be hard to juggle a sayers life with a aimuari im and a phaiha-based crew.......
Zilenserz on Hunter,
Sailing round in circles sincle April '07.

Duckling flag officer chats, "What is this RL"

[Apr 30, 2008 11:04:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zilenserz

sorry mate ill be runnign the sayers-manu route.. orange is just so much better than blue or green routes

how u know what colour a route is, and what they mean.......

btwm dont make this let u think im a noob, dont judge me, 1 year away from this game to find about 4 new ships and the whole of ursa half dead kinda puts litttle things like that outta ure mind....
Zilenserz on Hunter,
Sailing round in circles sincle April '07.

Duckling flag officer chats, "What is this RL"

[Apr 30, 2008 11:28:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
griffdr77

I've just moved to hunter and opened an IM stall at Sayers my only problem is getting inter arch charts so I can get supplies to my stall. So any help with a Chart lending library or bazaar focused on Sayer and surrounding arches would be a blessing in my eyes until I can memorize my routes.
Griffdr on Sage
Proud Mass Debator
Captain of Gaia's Guardians
Village idiot

It's what Rasta pirates do. . .
[Apr 30, 2008 4:21:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gillie017

Many of us can help with charting ships that you have the deed to. The list of those available to assist with charting will be kept up to date on the Sayers Rock island news page.

Any useful charts that I get hold of will be available for anyone to borrow (but please return them so that others can use them).

The map or Ursa with route colours can be found here.
[Apr 30, 2008 5:22:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pwndnoob

I love the concept of the human BK, we can finally use the bandanas for something good.

How are we going to make it where attacker doesn't know by crew name that it is a BK, or is that the point? Knowing the brain tank, they've already answered question, but seems cogent question to me right now...
"Don't worry about the money, its only 100k."- Dalnoth

Pwnrdenoobs of Hunter
[Apr 30, 2008 5:39:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gillie017

Databases for Shoppe/Stall Management

As promised, Access databases for shoppe/stall management are now available for download.

Clickety click here

The use of the databases should be self-explanatory. All you need to do is enter your own figures in all the spaces where I have entered a 1 as the default. Use the refresh button after updating your data to recalculate the costings.

Please excuse the total lack of a proper web page on my site. All I have done for now is upload the files.

Please note, I can't act as an online help service for people using these databases. However, if there is anything that appears to be booched in the programming, please send me a PM.
[Apr 30, 2008 8:36:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Youko99

great job drwnot, duckling and the rest of EAC, ill try to help as much as posibly!!! Im up for the chart list and our flag is ready to help in this new beggining!!!
Antigono #1 spanglish speaker

Captain of Alas de Cefiro

Hunter Ocean

My name turned yellow, but my heart is still green
[May 1, 2008 7:33:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 458   Pages: 16   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates