• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8001 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
kurosh

swordfighting fundamentals Reply to this Post

People have been bothering me for a while to help and write so here you guys go. This does not cover strategy at all. I could write pages upon pages of strategy. These are a few quick tips on the basic mechanics and fundamentals.

Keep your colors connected - Something very important to remember, probably the most important factor in a swordfight. KEEP YOUR COLORS TOGETHER. If you get a lot of colors scrambled, you are screwed unless you get lucky with several breakers in a row. See what your opponents first line of drops are and try to match them. I cannot stress how important this is, it can make the difference between breaking half your screen or two blocks at the top. MAKE SURE YOUR COLORS ARE CONNECTED.

Keep as many colors open as possible - Especially when your screen is nearing the top, try to keep a path to all of the colors open. That way, if you get a breaker you can use it no matter what.

Gray blocks - Haha, I didn't figure this out for the longest time but it helped out. When your opponents blocks drop and are gray, the turn before they turn a normal colors and become breakable, the shape of what color they will turn is on them.

Stalling - I'm sure nearly everyone knows how to stall, just don't hit the spacebar. How often is this useful in head to head fights? Practically never, but it does win me a couple games occasionally. I won a tournament today because of it. If you're nearly dead and so is the other guy, start stalling.

Comboing - I'm not very good at this but let me share what little I know anyway. If you can, double everything. Those are simple and easy to do. Best way to do it is just leave solo breakers on top of big groups of blocks, then put the right breaker of color on top of that and break the breaker underneath it. Comboing well comes with experience and it's practically impossible for someone to teach you how. Burying breakers works well and your combos aren't screwed up by your opponent's attacks for the most part that way. The best way to learn would be to practice fighting slowly with an able NPP or a friend and specifically try to make combos. That way you will recognize common combo formations and can do them quickly in actual games.

Speed - Speed is not a deciding factor in early-game because there are some strategys based on counterattacks. Go as fast as you want and you can still get beat. It does make a difference in middle and late game though when it gets difficult to combo and you're just trying to clear your screen. Generally, go as fast as you can in middle and late game. I'd say speed becomes more important as you have more blocks because then it's more important to clear them quickly before you get hit. One rare occassion to keep your eyes open for is when both you and your opponent are almost dead, don't go fast and try to clear! Stall! Maybe he will die before you.

Sounds - I don't use this because my computer is too slow to handle sounds but others can take advantage of it. The game lets you know when you're about to receive an attack with a sound. I think there are two seperate ones. Obviously, if you're building up a combo and the sound comes, finish off the combo before it can get buried/destroyed by your opponents attack.

This is probably going to be it for a while. I seriously doubt I will ever post anything on strategy just because there's so much and it has to be intuitive.
----------------------------------------
Kurosh of Black Death
[Jul 18, 2004 12:28:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cahrin

Re: swordfighting fundamentals Reply to this Post

You learn something new every day..

A few days ago I learned how the Carp Bucket works, today I learn that there's a SF sound to alert you of sprinkles before they drop.

Good guide, Kurosh :)
-Cahrin
[Jul 18, 2004 1:51:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kurosh

Yeah it took me a couple months to realize the gray blocks had impressions of what color they were going to turn into.
Kurosh of Black Death
[Jul 18, 2004 2:07:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pezzazz

Once I started playing with sound I could never go back, and I subsequently had that happen to me in the top 8 part of the tourney yesterday... but I won't start on that =D

As for speed... I think it is just as important in the early game, as it is in any other stage. At the start there is also the race to set off combos before your opponent (if you play that way) and so staying fast is quite important... lest your opponent bury you before you get to do something. It can also be your downfall... I've lost a few games where I have either built too high, or there have been VERY few breakers and the game essentially became a race for who fills his screen up first... I'm good at that ;)
[Jul 18, 2004 2:13:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
trick44

Just hit the other guy harder than they hit you. And when they try to hit you, dodge.
-TK
[Jul 18, 2004 2:38:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiLVeRD

trick44 wrote: 
Just hit the other guy harder than they hit you. And when they try to hit you, dodge.

dodge;p pshh

/em gentle hits my face with my fist

come hit me as hard as you want ;p

i need those blocks to send it right back =)
The one & only SD, often imitated but never duplicated

If you gonna shoot for the stars, then just shoot me

If you let me you won't regret me,
Shii, if you let me you won't forget me
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Please    No    Stalking me [Link]  Go to top 
Eyes

SiLVeRD wrote: 
trick44 wrote: 

dodge;p pshh

/em gentle hits my face with my fist

come hit me as hard as you want ;p

i need those blocks to send it right back =)

Oh, so that was your plan in that tourney today silver... well whenever you want to send it back I'm waiting *grins*

[Jul 18, 2004 6:07:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Cahrin wrote: 

A few days ago I learned how the Carp Bucket works, today I learn that there's a SF sound to alert you of sprinkles before they drop.

You nearly won the Olympic Duty Bakeoff, and you didn't know how to use the carp bucket?

Madness..
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Jul 18, 2004 6:46:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

Cahrin has mad skillz
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Jul 18, 2004 6:55:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
trick44

Lizzie wrote: 
Cahrin wrote: 

You nearly won the Olympic Duty Bakeoff, and you didn't know how to use the carp bucket?

Madness..

He meant how they get created I think.
-TK
[Jul 18, 2004 7:01:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wnorman

trick44 wrote: 
Lizzie wrote: 
Cahrin wrote: 

Madness..

Can somebody clarify, or point us to a thread? Apparently this is something a few of us don't know either.
Shark
Captain of Ransack Marauders
Prince and Admiral of Silver Dawn

[size=9]Greenie says, "are you a rael shark/"
[Jul 19, 2004 12:20:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cahrin

I didn't mean how they were created, but how they were used.

Until a few days ago, I was under the impression that a bucket could only fill a hole that was "one square" big (one square in the sense that each piece is made up of 5 squares combined in a different shape). Now I know that a bucket can fill a hole up to the size of 5 squares.

Sorry for the derail :)
-Cahrin
[Jul 19, 2004 3:23:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
erinys

trick44 wrote: 
Lizzie wrote: 
Cahrin wrote: 

Madness..

I dunno how they get created, but Cahrin definitely didn't know how to use the carp buckets until a few days ago. He thought they could only be used on single holes. So I'm with Pierut on this one. Skillz0r or something...
[Jul 19, 2004 3:24:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cahrin

Wait, Greasy... I didn't NEARLY win it... /vwho Cahrin's Will.
-Cahrin
[Jul 19, 2004 2:27:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pokeytax

What.... what?

More to the point, is he like that in every puzzle? I have these terrifying images of Incredible gunnery using only one arrow and full-screen instakills built entirely from meticulously double vegas'd 2x2 blocks.

Oh, right, swordfighting.

I broke a bingo in the BD tourney once or twice, on accident, and nothing higher. TO BEGINNERS: As with Sailing, you can reach Ultimate in Swordfighting on a steady diet of doubles and triples, if you do it quickly and without misplacing blocks.
Pokeytax on Malachite
Pokey on Midnight
[Jul 20, 2004 1:36:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kurosh

Combo multipliers aren't really *that* important. I rarely do more than a triple. It's what you triple that counts. Sometimes I do donkeys and they don't do much damage because i'll donkey only a block.
Kurosh of Black Death
[Jul 20, 2004 3:13:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Aye, almost all the best Swordfighters do Triples usually. I still get a giggle from getting a donkey with just like twelve blocks though.
[Jul 20, 2004 3:19:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

I sprinkle bingo constantly with like 2 blocks. It's my signiature worthless move of doom. (:
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Jul 20, 2004 3:35:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
ivazquez

Ha! I am the master of the 10-block donkey!
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Jul 20, 2004 4:55:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
trick44

It's worth creating bigger combos just to have it say:

[size=18]DONKEY!

But that's it. Otherwise shoot for triples, above that is just gravy.

Shooting for lower than triples is helpful too if that's your bucket of soup.
-TK
[Jul 20, 2004 5:26:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cahrin

I actively GO for tripples, but don't send them every time, as a result of either an oponent attacking me or just a lack of pieces. I sometimes go for bingos too, if it's there, but as they say it isn't that necessary.

It's most important to be comboing mid-late game, rather than early on. Beyond the first attack (which should be a big double or a tripple +, idealy), you don't need to be getting bingos or anything. If you can continue to get doubles throughout the game (especially on your screen-clears), you're golden.
-Cahrin
[Jul 20, 2004 5:26:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
arya_stark

Cahrin wrote: 
I didn't mean how they were created, but how they were used.

Until a few days ago, I was under the impression that a bucket could only fill a hole that was "one square" big (one square in the sense that each piece is made up of 5 squares combined in a different shape). Now I know that a bucket can fill a hole up to the size of 5 squares.

Sorry for the derail :)

AAAAAH, I thought the same thing until about a month ago! I played some YPP at my boyfriend's house and while he was looking over my shoulder, he said "Why didn't you fill that space with your clay?" and I said "because the hole's too big!" He couldn't understand how I possibly got to Ultimate/Weighty carp without knowing that.

I ALSO thought that when a piece started to shake, that the next piece you placed there had to border the shaking piece to stabilize it. Didn't know better until Rune told me otherwise.

I frequently wonder how I get anything done in Puzzle Pirates.
[size=10]Underfoot, Carpenter of Llyr's Pact
[Jul 20, 2004 5:30:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.winterfell.com    kumachiisai [Link]  Go to top 
protoplmz

Pretty good guide But I have some comments

I cannot stress how important speed is in a game in the middle and begininng. It can mean the difference of sending a 2x12 then getting burried by sprinkles or it can mean sending 4 blocks because the sprinkle hit before you had your fused block set up.

As for combos I'm still trying to train myself to only do smaller comboes ( bingoes and triples) My best combo is a vegas^4 but its not very helpful in a 1 on 1 sf considering you will NEVER get it set up. Doubling everything can still help definatly if you are new to combos if not however triples and bingos. ( only with speed) One of my friends is ult in sf but she almost never combo;Kind of shocked me when I heard this! Before my falchion dusted I was half ult in sf but now I'm only gm and retained to instant killing in brawls ( sometimes in 1 on 1 sfs) with my friend's shortsword

My favorite triple is:
b
R
g
r
BB
BB

(BBBB meaning your build )

There is also this one:

b
r
yR
BB
BB

Also its not worthless donkeying things, I've donkeyed a 2x2 and a 3x2 send ing a 2x15 and a 2x10 closing my oppenent in and killing him. All you need to do is know how to plan comboes instead of randomly placing breakers and hope they hit something good
Protoplm, On the Viridian, Sage, Hunter and Midnight oceans.

Occasional player back in 03 and 04.

Xbambehx says, "You are icecream god."
Protoplm says, "I am indulgent and fattening. Fall before my influence."

[Jul 22, 2006 1:31:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates