• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 58
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8570 times and has 57 replies Next Thread
Soma

THE Newbie Primer Reply to this Post

Foreword

The purpose of this document is to give every single new player who reads it both a heads up and a head start in the grand life of piracy. Within you'll find simple explanations and strategies for the ship's entry level duty puzzles, along with hints on conduct and how to find your place within the social structure. This is the second version of this text, which desperately needed an update because of considerable changes in gameplay.

First Things First

If you were not paying attention during the training cruise, please be aware that any pirate with a white 'adjective name' is not a real person, and are generally referred to as NPPs (non-player pirates) or swabbies. It's cute when a greenie strikes up conversation with one, but I'm attempting to save you a little embarassment.

You'll find yourself with an island as your home (which can be easily changed to any other colonized island, in the island pannel) once off of the boat. From here, you can either go and join a chat circle with other players (remember, this is a social game) or go and practice your skills with the navy.

-Return to Home Island: you'll find this under the main panel, and it'll immediatley whisk you from wherever you are to your home island. Please note that money held on your person will not make the trip with you, either being stashed in the bank or buried at the island you were last on. In the rare event of doing so on a ship, it'll stay there (and be at risk) until the ship reaches a port.

-Pause: You can speak while doing a puzzle by hitting the 'esc' or 'p' keys on your keyboard. In some cases the puzzle will keep going whether you're typing or not; also, in all cases, lack of activity will negatively effect your performance ratings.

Conduct; aka, how to not make everyone hate you

There are basicly only four things that will really annoy certain members of our community, so I'll get them out of the way right here.
LAY OFF THE SHOUT -and- ASK BEFORE YE CHALLENGE! The first should only be used in situations where it is called for, please join a chat circle if you wish to chat. The latter is simply rude, please at least begin by saying 'Ahoy!' and asking if anyone would like to fight. N0 U DNT N33D 2 T4LK LIEK DIS! The charter states that you must be 14+ to play, please speak as if you are. If the piratey speech confuses you, there are forum threads devoted to piratical vocabulary. Lastly, please keep any crass language or lewd behavior away from the public eye. I'm sure you can find mature mates who don't mind, but be aware that some will.

I'm Confused!

A few more basic things to understand that can be tricky early on; item decay and 'where's my POE!?'

Items decay based on the items which were used in their production and the type of work required to make them; simply put, better made items will last longer. At the moment, clothing, maps and swords are all subject to decay. This system is still being adjusted; in the future, we may see item repair or other changes.

As previously stated, you can't carry money with you when you whisk. What is whisking? It's any time you leave an island without going to the dock and boarding a ship in that port (nearly every time you board a navy vessel, accept a job or take a ferry, you will whisk) or leave a ship at sea. Furthermore, all money you earn with the navy will be depositted directly into the bank account at your home island. You can transfer money held within your bank account between banks, but it will then be subject to transfer fees. This is in place so that transferring large ammounts of money will either gaurantee you a loss (via bank) or leaves it at risk (on the seas).

Finally, The Puzzles!

Phew, finally got to the good stuff. The best place to practice your puzzling (and make a chunk of change) is with the navy. You'll find on the overhead map (click it once to see display of all important locations within the island) something marked as the 'notice board'. This is where you'll be able to jump aboard navy vessels or look for player crews who are jobbing players. You could always go right to jobbing, but I personally suggest getting a little experiance under your belt, so that you will be more attractive to a crew as an actual member.

Now for a few things to note once aboard a navy vessel. If you're planning on challenging the swabbies at sea, please do this on a large ship such as a frigate where it will not have as much effect on the ship's performance. Second, your puzzle performance effects the overall condition of the ship and\or it's sailing speed. Most crews will be understanding of new players, but it's still preffered that you at least rank a fair at the league point. On league points, regard these as report cards so that the officers can see how well their crew are performing at their duties. Finally, (at last personal check, at least) if you wish to practice the gunnery puzzle, you'll need to board a training vessel instead of a navy ship. Honestly, I wouldn't put much practice into this just yet; it's a duty that will be more important later. For now, stick with the basics, which I will cover below.

Sailing: This puzzle determines how quickly the ship is travelling, along with movement token production within sea battle (briefly, sea battle is a checkerboard where you move strategicly. This is when cannons are fired, and a successful engagement results in a group swordfight). Your status indicator is the mast and sail in the top right of the puzzle area, you're aiming for it to be shining gold and moving quite actively.

Carpentry: Damage constantly creeps up while sailing, carpentry keeps the stress off of the bilges by repairing this damage. Your status indicator is the hammer towards the center of the puzzle area; again, you're aiming for it to be gold and moving furiously.

Bilge: Just as damage creeps up, so does water in the bilge. After a certain point, water in the bilge effects the overall speed that the ship can reach, no matter how fantasticly the sailors are performing. The indicator is located at the bottom right, you're aiming for the pump to be golden and gushing water.

Puzzle Mechanics & Tips

The rule of thumb is that the more efficiently you use your 'moves' or pieces, the better your performance will be. In most cases, this means building combos, which multiply your output.

Sailing: Your purpose here is to fill in the empty colored spaces with the same colored ball, once you've completed one of these graphs, it will be cleared and the balls within will disappear. Colored blocks and balls can be cleared by creating a row of 4 pieces of the same color, both verticly and horizontally. Combos are made by dropping pieces from completed chains or graphs into other chains or graphs. You'll find that you get the most effect from comboing into and out of graph clears, ideally creating a cascade effect. If this seems horribly tricky at first, it's always smart to start building at the lowest place you intend to hit with your combo; along with that, I used to find it very useful to clear solid blocks which were somehow in the way. Get used to how the pieces move and rotate, you can do some surprising things (position wise) once you're good with the arrow keys.

simple text example; a triple ending with a graph clear (underscores represent empty space, the red being a part of a graph):

XC

X
XCX
XC
_C_Z
__ZX

Carpentry: Here, you're attempting to fill the holes with the provided pieces; ideally, you'll come out with a perfect fit, and not waste a single piece. Your mouse wheel will rotate the selected piece, while right click will flip it. Using these functions are crucial to carpenting well. The basic point to scoring masterpieces is to keep in mind your most common carpentry shapes to slot into your last hole. For reference, these are (badly named): the L thing with a knob & the box with a knob. Less common, is the stick with a knob NOT at the end and the.. bendy stick? it's something like
___---
I apologize for the vagueness of those descriptions, but once you've played the puzzle, you should see what I'm referring to. I personally find it best to only 'work' on completing 1-2 of the larger holes at a time, ideally next to eachother. To pull this off, only use pieces that won't 'work' with solving your selected box(es) in the other holes. The other important thing to remember in this method is that if a piece or hole starts shaking, you best fit a piece in or the hole will either grow larger or toss out one of your completed pieces. Until you really get the hang of this, you might want to use one hole as a junk space; simply using it to toss things in that you can't work with. You'll still want to solve it without too much waste, but a 'craftsmanship' won't make much of a dent on your hammer if you're getting masterpieces at a decent rate.

Bilge: First, I must state that while this is a nescesary puzzle, it is the least desirable as far as general skills go. Nearly anyone can clear a bilge, so being skilled at this will likely only be noticed as a bonus (in addition to your other skills). To perform well in this puzzle, you need to be able to notice patterns if you wish to combo quickly and easily. Your aim is to clear pieces by making a chain of 3 (or more) like pieces. You build a combo by linking these chains with the swap. I'm having a little trouble explaining this, so I'll resort to a simple text illustration.

XC
CX
XC

This would result in a 3x3 combo if you were to swap the CX part. This is the most obvious combo, but learning to recognize this will lead you towards more complicated situations.

Swordfighting: You will find quite a few threads on sword strategy, so I'll only cover what you absolutely need to know when pillaging with a crew; Targetting. In a group swordfight, it is VERY important that you target correctly. Ideally, you aim to overpower the selected opponent with numbers; leaving one attacking alone is more likely to load the opponent up with 'ammo' to fire back at one of your crewmates. In most cases, crews will aim to group in twos or threes. You can see which opponent you have targetted by which of their simplified playboards are highlighted in white. You can see who your crew is targetting by noticing the colored dots next to those same boards. Likewise, you can see who is targetting you or your mates on your side of the board. Even if you are not a great puzzler, if you can consistently target appropriately, you will be well on your way to finding a crew and advancing within the ranks.

Crew Dynamics

I only intend to touch lightly upon this, but please be respectful to your crewmates; even more so, your officers and captain. We will always place more value in players who are cooperative and nice to be with. Don't worry if you're shy (I am, actually), but it won't hurt to at least join in with the war cries and celebration. Of course, it's also possible that you can talk TOO much, which will definatley show in your ratings. It can be a hard balance at times, but if you really only feel like chatting, you might be best off sticking to the docks.

Losing can be very demoralizing, but try to be considerate of your shipmates; we're all trying. Even if it comes down to the last person in a swordfight being defeated, be aware that everything you did before your defeat was also a part of what could have lead to their's. This is a complex game, based around communal puzzling; you can spread blame so far that it will lead to yourself, so why bother? A polite suggestion or nudge in the right direction will work wonders, no need to alienate anyone. We may be pirates, but we're generally polite.

The End!

I believe that any of you who have read all the way through this will have a much easier time of settling into the pirate's life. Thanks for your time, now go have some fun!

------
Soma; bloodthirsty pillager, all around swell guy *wink*
Senior Officer of ARR
Nyx's Scions

----------------------------------------
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Survivor of Old Spice & Nyx's Scions
Officer of Black Death
[Edit 7 times, last edit by Soma at Jul 25, 2003 7:20:41 AM]
[Jul 25, 2003 7:20:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Re: THE Newbie Primer Reply to this Post

Arr some good tips in there mate!

It sounds like you have had a hellish week though, Im perfectly able to enjoy pillaging even if it takes some ordering around and loosing now and then ;)
Not trying to be pc here but I also don't want new players to think all officers are over stressed and eat newbies for breakfast ;)
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jul 25, 2003 7:40:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Rengor wrote: 
It sounds like you have had a hellish week though, Im perfectly able to enjoy pillaging even if it takes some ordering around and loosing now and then ;)
Not trying to be pc here but I also don't want new players to think all officers are over stressed and eat newbies for breakfast ;)

Hee hee...well, we in ARR do indeed have a problem with HATING to lose...*smile*. We're currently in therapy...
[Jul 25, 2003 7:44:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Bump Reply to this Post

I've made this sticky for a while to give people the right idea. I will also, if I a may be so bold, provide a summary plus some of my own points:

Be polite at the docks
- Don't shout, at all if you can help it, and certainly not often.
- Do not challenge people to a puzzle without talking to them first, i.e. joining their circle and acting like a civilised Pirate. Random challenges are rude.
- Do not beg for stuff from richer Pirates. They got their bling bling through hard work. Do some.

Refine your skills
- Many Captains will not job players who have not bothered to even begin to develop their skills.
- Go on the Navy ships and practice. Get distinguished in Sailing or Carp, which are much more useful than bilge.

Approach Captains Politely
- Posts to the noticeboard should be applied for once, not three times in a row.
- If you tell to a captain bear in mind that they are probably busy.
- Do not be offended if they tell you that you should get some more experience (See above).

Pillage Politely
- A voyage is an expensive and complex operation that is not necessarily for your benefit.
- Do not expect pillage regularly or even at all. Some days Pirates do not come home with a prize.
- It's not a good idea to attack any ship on the sea, especially red and blue ones.
- Work on board, don't stand about chatting.
- You may get booty, you may not. If you want to get a share, stick around or leave politely and respectfully.

I think I'll refine this into a part of the docs, so let me know if there's more to be said.
[Jul 25, 2003 9:22:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Good advice all round I'd say!

I would add - people have been asking to be accepted into a crew quite a bit: at the moment, I'm pretty busy (me captain and first mate in the Dastards away on their honeymoon, a new officer who I've been woefully neglecting, and new players asking for advice - along with trying to keep some rum on Turtle!), so I haven't time to take me crews out pillaging much if at all - please respect someone who hasn't time to take on more crew members; they're turning you down so that you won't get bored, rather than being elitist - so if you get refused, it may be the captains/officers being overbusy so please don't take it personally.

I'd like to crew a lot more people - but ONLY when I can actually take em out pillaging & give em some fun & booty ;-)
[Jul 25, 2003 10:05:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

*groans, thinking about the coming evening of nightmarish greenhorn trainin*

"Now if they'll only read it....", she thinks to herself.

Faile - Falcon o' the Seas
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Jul 25, 2003 10:42:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

Re: Bump Reply to this Post

Cleaver wrote: 
Do not challenge people to a puzzle without talking to them first, i.e. joining their circle and acting like a civilised Pirate. Random challenges are rude.

Ooops.... I guess I have been doing that. Didn't know better. My apologies.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

Re: Bump Reply to this Post

Strawberi wrote: 
Cleaver wrote: 
Do not challenge people to a puzzle without talking to them first, i.e. joining their circle and acting like a civilised Pirate. Random challenges are rude.

Ooops.... I guess I have been doing that. Didn't know better. My apologies.

This is rude? Honestly, I'd welcome anyone to come up and just challenge me. I'd love the games. I've never considered it rude. In fact, I welcome it. Well, who am I to argue.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Jul 29, 2003 1:31:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I don't mind someone entering the circle, saying "Ahoy, Nemo. Fight?" and then challenging. That's about the minimum, but at least they greeted me first. I like the puzzles too, Aur, but I can likely find better challenge and better company in someone I already know, so I'd like someone to at least have the pretense of civility if they want me to fight them straight off.

-Nemo
[Jul 29, 2003 1:40:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

It is rude when you're in a circle chatting with people and somebody from outside your circle challenges you without a word.
[Jul 29, 2003 1:40:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

I'm not saying just start randomly clicking on people as they walk by or grabbing people as they pop in from the docks or something, but I've noticed that a lot of people stand around, for instance, at the docks while they are waiting for jobs posted and start playing games.

From that, it seems that a lot of people who enjoy the sword fighting start milling around there too looking for games. From that, I've even notice people stopping there just to get games. You can usually see the swords popping in and around and multiple chat circles going.

For myself, I like to actually just get a bunch of swords games going, not really waiting on anything just wanting challenges. Also, not wanting to bother anyone I tend to keep to myself too. So basically I welcome any and all challenges that come my way. The more the merrier.

Maybe more the issue is that there's no real place for someone who wants to sword fight to go. You have the ship for the other puzzles. Drinking tables even if you wanted that. I guess anyone wanting games could mill around the bar looking to pick a good bar brawl.

I see your points though. It could be quite frustrating trying to carry on a conversation and be annoyed by that pop up and having to give an explanation, but from my point of view, as someone who welcomes a game. I don't mind it all and don't find it rude. I'm thinking a few other people might think the same too.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Jul 29, 2003 1:53:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

I actually changed home island to a quieter one as I was sick of having a challenge waiting almost every time I logged on (as soon as I can see my pirate name, and way before my screen clears to show the view!); as soon as I click on a pirate to log in to Alpha especially, it seems I have a challenge waiting. And when I get off a ship to get onto another...or go to check a shop...

I feel it's a bit rude to turn people down without at least explaining that I'm really busy/just swopping maps on ships/rushing to get sugar for Tipsys or whatever; but there are so many now that I'm just ignoring or rejecting them.

And because of the times that I get heckled for being a coward (or in the case of someone the other day, told "F*** you") for turning down a challenge even when I do explain; I've lost my patience with being polite a good deal!

Actually, I think a designated area for swordfights - maybe in the palace - would be a good thing; cuts down lag from people walking past all the time especially. (I spotted Akebia and Yarmalady in Hues On First when I did a /who last week - and I think it's unlikely they were discussing their favourite colours!)
[Jul 29, 2003 2:09:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

I can see how that can be very frustrating and annoying. I just find that odd because I can stand in the same spot, a very populous spot like the docks of alpha, and not get a challenge for at least fifteen minutes.(which is the case right now as I've been reading the forums) Maybe I'm just unlucky or something. Maybe its more of sign that people don't know the proper place to go to play that particular game.

Well, I've completely derailed this thread and I'm sorry for that. Go back to helping people. Maybe I'll make another thread another time or something.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

[Jul 29, 2003 2:22:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

It may be worthwhile to have an "accepting challengers" icon you can activate...
[Jul 29, 2003 2:26:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I think people's ratings affect how likely you are to get challenges. I get a fair amount because of my monkey, Pox, and the fact that I'm decent with a sword. People are looking to move up.

A toggle for accepting challenges would be ok, a toggle for accepting crewmembers onto your boat would be better. It would be nice to just have a "trading" button, which sends a message to people trying to board that "this ship is on a trading mission, and would like to avoid the extra attention to brigands your presence would cause. Arr!"
[Jul 29, 2003 2:51:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

I could understand the ratings/notoriety aspect of it - but they NO WAY have time to look up people's ratings when they challenge that quick; if they managed to read the name they're pretty quick off the mark! And it's not just the monkey, or my name on shops or rankings lists; I have the most problems with Aglaura.

They perhaps think it's Bloodymary and want to kill her for making em wait so long for their new clothes! That'll teach her to copy me outfit ;-)
[Jul 29, 2003 3:12:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

Swordfighting Area? Reply to this Post

stevoid wrote: 
Actually, I think a designated area for swordfights - maybe in the palace - would be a good thing

I think this would be a good thing as well because sometimes I really have nothing to do and am just looking for a fight to pass some time. Like when my crew is in battle mode and I can't get on the ship and theres nothing to do.

A 'accepting challenge' toggle would be cool as well. That way it auto-rejects any challenges and you're free to go about your business.
[Jul 29, 2003 12:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
Narra

Wow. Reply to this Post

I jes' wanted to thank all of ye seasoned vet'rans for helping out those of us who've not got our sea legs yet. This thread is extremely helpful, an' gave me somethin' to do while I was waitin' for me registration e-mail. ^_^
[Aug 1, 2003 12:00:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Narra+Grey [Link]  Go to top 
Wesley

Challenges Reply to this Post

Auto-reject would be unnecessary. It would be quicker to disable the challenge button for those with "Accepting Challenges" off, or possibly have a different colour name or small symbol beside it that illustrates it, so people can search through a crowd for those brave enough to fight over nothing.
-- Kyran, of the Burlap Lemurs

Ohhhhhhhhh! We've got this notion that we'd quite like to sail the ocean so we're building a big ship to leave here for good!
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jacksparrow3

I really like all the advice you guys have been writing here. It's all really quite helpful.. even though I am a captain myself.

I have had some trouble with rude jobbers, crew members, and ex-crew members.. I really don't think people see how much a captain or any diligent and dedicated officer has to do on a ship. It really bothers me when people will be frustrated with me if there's no pillage and I'm trying my hardest.. or for blackspotting me when they overlook my authority as captain and disrespect even the pirates and jobbers onboard.

I guess I'm just trying to say that I'm really glad to hear I'm not the only one.
[Aug 10, 2003 7:18:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagittary

On the matter of random challenges, I seem to get a few and for me, it's usually not when I'm lazying around at all. I'll pop up at port and -bang- challenge (or as has happened a few times, challenged while at sea). No hello, no nothing. Though I don't find it particularly rude (only when, as soon as the fight finishes, they're gone without even a word), it is a bit annoying to have either just ignore them (and be rude), explain it to them (and get lip back), or take it and delay my crew from sailing (I'm a captain, despite my rankings, which are poor mostly because I don't sword fight a lot, just sea battle, and I haven't brought anything to change out of my newbie clothing ;) )

Crew members, well... that's a captain thing, but plank helps and keeping an open channel of discussion with your crew seems to. Fostering a good crew and picking those you get along with a good officer skill; I've had several crew members give me back their shares (to either replace the hold or spread around) if there hasn't been any pillaging on the ship.

For new player tips... being proactive and asking an officer about promotion is fine; especially with a larger crew, it's hard for anyone person to keep track of things. But asking said person repeatedly if you can be promoted within the span of a few minutes is more likely to keep you from being promoted. Double points if you're a jobber asking to be an officer.

This may vary from crew to crew, but try to keep Crew chat to a minimum; if the person you're talking to is on the same vessel or what not, there's little need to use it unless it's pertainant info.

Taking initiative and being able to pay attention to taking orders is -very- helpful. Me personally, I like it when people watch the chat and follow orders that I give. But even better, I like it when people take the initiative and go fix something on their own as opposed to asking me "What should I do?" when the bilge is half full or manning the cannons when there aren't any cannonballs and the damage meter is a quarter full.

Being social and part of the team. You don't have to talk all the time, but cheering on your teammates in battles, congratulating them when good stuff happens, whatever, is nice. It may not get you officerhood any faster, but it'll get your crew to like you which is probably more important. For that matter, check with your captain on progress to the next ship/next officer/whatever.

If you're going to be away from your computer for more than a minute or two, don't leave your character on a vessel; get off, log off, or something. It takes up space, space someone who is there could be using, and it really messes with sea battles when, what should be a even fight, is down by really down by one.

For the moment, the last thing I can think of is the same as others have said: Owning a ship does not mean it's suddenly PoE Fest 2003. More often than not, a ship owner is barely making money. The actually poe may seem to be going up, but rum, shot, and lost goods tend to rack up, and a long night with little pillage may get crew a few hundred but it's cost the captain a couple hundred and then soon to have stocked the ship. We all want booty, but sometimes, it just doesn't happen; any one trip is not a good indicator of a crew's success or failure as one leg (or trip) may be more trafficky than another.
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion
[Aug 11, 2003 4:47:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

I never used to mind random swordfight challenges... but I have not time time nor the patience anymore... I guess that's what happens when you run 4 shoppes (tomorrow only 3... yay! bid on me weavery!)

Another thing is that constant tells is very very very very very annoying. Sometimes I haven't time to answer, and will simply mute you... Complaining that your order isn't done is not the best way to get on me good side... I will definitely add up hours, or orders for someone who asks nicely...
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Aug 12, 2003 4:07:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
3eyedSusy

Arrr. I never get random challanges suppose thats what happens living on tinga.

wildeyedjack
captain of the dastardly dragon
[Aug 22, 2003 3:32:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vixen

3eyedSusy wrote: 
Arrr. I never get random challanges suppose thats what happens living on tinga.

wildeyedjack
captain of the dastardly dragon

Stop hiding in the sugarcane munching on hemp then Jack

Vixen
Vixen - Captain of The Black Widows.
[Aug 30, 2003 6:18:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drewbert

yar?
[Sep 21, 2003 6:46:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fireelsha

Lots of helpful information toward newbies so they can succeed and not annoy the not-so-new players and crew.......

So surely you have some tips for new captains/officers, right? Running a voyage involves several skills you can't develop before becoming an officer and being in charge of a crew for the 1st time. Any helpful hints?What are some basic rules of etiquette for captains?
[Oct 2, 2003 6:58:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Valeria

You might want to try reading this thread (if you haven't already) on tips for officers and captains. It hasn't been stickied, but a lot of people have found the information in it useful.

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=2073
[Oct 2, 2003 7:08:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Stickied now - thanks for reminding me.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Oct 2, 2003 12:12:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fireelsha

Cool! Thanks a lot :)
[Oct 6, 2003 12:14:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
Msg from a newbie Reply to this Post

I was SO green, I couldn't even make sense of most of the tips! What I'd like to tell new players, in addition to what has already been written, is this: learn to swordfight before you have to actually do it. Click on the pirates with WHITE, DOUBLE NAMES (the computer generated ones, as opposed to the real people whose names are YELLOW).... check their reputation, and starting with ones who rate as 'able' in swordsmanship, challenge them to a swordfight (with no wager). That is the best way to learn swordfighting. You can look up all the advice on swordfighting there is, but until you do it, you won't get it. I'm now addicted! If you get into a swordfight while on ship, before learning how, it can be an emotionally devestating experience! I practiced and practiced, and when I went out for the first time with my crew, I was able to hold my own - and I was really glad that I knew (somewhat) what I was doing!

This game is fantastically fun, and the people I've run into are really great - something about pirates attracts good people!? I definitely want one of those 5000 spots that have been promised!
[Oct 19, 2003 3:33:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates