• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1008 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
muffy

I wanna pillage, blast it! (training and fresh new pirates) Reply to this Post

Most new pirates seem to grasp right away that a lot of the fun of the game (especially when ye are just starting) is in the pillaging. The thing heard most frequently on a training ship is "I wanna pillage, let's attack something!"

Well, of course, there are several issues with that, but number one is that carpentry and sailing are ESSENTIAL to pillaging, unless ye just want to crawl around and wait for somethin' to intercept ye. It might be nice if ye could get the intro pirate to explain this, and to make them at least TRY sailing and carpentry, so that when they RTFM (we hope!), they've seen the puzzle and it makes sense to them.
----------------------------------------
[Jul 25, 2003 5:21:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

beyond that.. Reply to this Post

why don't we just switch the focus entirely from bilging to at least sailing (not to mention carp..)? I'm getting tired of looking around and seeing a million master swords with only ratings in bilge. I'm not sure how the navy pay scheme works, but it would seem that an increase in wages on anything but bilge would be a good incentive to get this moving. As I've said, I don't completely mind taking out the newer folks; I'd just be much more willing to do so if they had an actual ship skill that mattered.
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Survivor of Old Spice & Nyx's Scions
Officer of Black Death
[Jul 25, 2003 6:14:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Ship skills Reply to this Post

Were I being selective as Captain of a crew I would only job Pirates with a distinction in a useful ship skill, aye (and tell them that they need to go Navy job to get their skills up). Adjusting the navy pay scale is an interesting idea... although really, if someone can't get it together to try some other puzzles, that might tell you something about them...
[Jul 25, 2003 6:21:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Re: I wanna pillage, blast it! (training and fresh new pirates) Reply to this Post

Aye; it would be lovely if we could "lock" the bilge stations while we're not needing em.

But maybe changing the intro pirate to explain sailing or carpentry instead would be nice - more useful anyway. I know when I first started on navy ships (arr, seems a long time ago!) I was sticking to bilge because I'd tried it once before, and thought I'd be better practising that one than trying them all and not being very good at any of them.
[Jul 25, 2003 6:35:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Re: I wanna pillage, blast it! (training and fresh new pirates) Reply to this Post

Well if they ignore me on my ship when something is really badly needed they get to walk the plank. There are plenty out there eager to take their place that will listen. They get some warnings ofcourse. And if we're not in a panic situation they can move around stations like they want to.
I never look at their ratings though.

But the current system with ordering people to another station only works 1 in 4 times it seems. Which makes it really confusing when you over time order more people to do the same, then they finally all react at the same time and complain why I send them there when there's no open stations.
I would like a way to force them over on another station, simply make a script that walks them to the neares open station. Perhaps after 5 seconds so they can react themselves. Or maybe pause the puzzle and/or display the message on top of the puzzle.

Also it would be nice when people sign up for a trip to get a box in the Ahoy! panel like when getting a challenge so you can accept or deny them. When Imapiratethathasareallyannoyingname applies its a hassle to write the command when yer already busy.

And could you make a change to automatically remove the jobbing notice when we engage in sea battle? I keep forgetting flipping it before battle myself and you can't job when you're in sea battle and that just creates a chaotic situation for the new folks signing up and the captain getting a bunch of tells.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jul 25, 2003 6:38:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

I just job away during the engagement. I think I have jobbed in the sword puzzle too. I then use crew to tell them I will notify once the battle is done. I would forget to turn it back on if ye cut it off. I just wish we had some preset messages that would be sent to folks that apply to a job. And the yes no button would be great!
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jul 25, 2003 7:12:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
jfjnpxmy

I went to my friend's house and leaned over his shoulder and annoyed him until he got good at carpentry. For a small fee*, I can do the same for the newbie jobber of your choice. Assuming I can get the cattle prod through customs.

*large fee.
[Jul 25, 2003 7:31:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jfjnpxmy [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Penndalla wrote: 
I just job away during the engagement. I think I have jobbed in the sword puzzle too. I then use crew to tell them I will notify once the battle is done. I would forget to turn it back on if ye cut it off. I just wish we had some preset messages that would be sent to folks that apply to a job. And the yes no button would be great!

An auto on/off would be good though; turn it off for an intercept, turn it on again after. The "challenge" pop-up appearing as well as the text for a job application would be really good; there are people being piratey to the point of being unjobbable with the number of rrrrrrrrr's in their name (often easiest to count the other letters & subtract from 12, but doesn't always work). Maybe a pop-up at the create pirate phase for the first on an account, saying "Warning: if you can't read it easily you can't job it easily" or something ;-)
[Jul 25, 2003 10:25:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates