• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 42
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7752 times and has 41 replies Next Thread
Hempline

The Mysteries of Midnight. This week: Skeletons

Well then, I'd first like to state that this is only what I've created as my own story, and doesn't have anything to do with what is truly the Ringers' idea of Yarrow.

Yarrow

Yarrow is a very interesting life form in the Midnight Ocean. A robust leafy plant with white buds, it is considered a treasure among the ironmongers and forgers. Many pirates can attest to the difference a hilt tapered with strands of yarrow makes. It is said that this plant gives a sword great balance, almost molding it to the wielder?s whim.
In the creation of such a blade, yarrow is normally used with another type of herb, as it is exceedingly over-expensive to use more than one of this rare flora. Every part of the herb is used up in the construction of a sword; the amazingly strong stalks are peeled into long white fiber strands and placed into the hilt, while the pallid dapper buds are burned as a stoke to make hotter flames more easily. As a result, not only is the blade more balanced thanks to this bloom, but also more impurities are burned from the blade thanks to the warmer fire.
Now the question is, why is this seemingly dainty plant such a magnificent material to forge from? I believe I have unwittingly stumbled upon the answer in my travels, mainly doing so simply by looking back upon my photos and noticing a curiosity. The two remaining islands that yarrow is known to grow upon (as I believe many others have been over-cultivated before this time) is Flow Island and Beta Island, in the Opal and Sapphire Archipelagos accordingly. Imagine my frustration as I poured over my notes and pictures, trying to find a common connection between the two places, to find the key as to why yarrow so happily thrives here. The answer was a riddle, and no doubt; it?s not what common connection these islands have, it?s what they do not! They?re nearly exact opposites!
Beta Island is located in the sweltering Sapphire Archipelago, known for it?s tropical jungles and sweltering mugginess. A live volcano still rumbles menacingly there, and it is in fact one of these lava pits that I found yarrow growing not a single foot away. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v260/emberage/Beta_4.jpg As for Flow Island, this freezing rock is located in Opal, home of such other winter wonderlands as Norse and Orca. Flow, this home to normally only the heartiest evergreens and frozen monsters, also allows the yarrow to thrive happily. http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v260/emberage/Flow_2.jpg
It is no wonder that yarrow is such a sought-after commodity, nor is it a great wonder that this is such a powerful plant to use in forging deadly swords.
----------------------------------------
Hempline
Forever a Nameless Corsair
Island Designer
Hermit

omg welcum bak hmeplien we mist u

-Eurydice
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hempline at Jul 16, 2004 5:31:49 AM]
[Jul 16, 2004 5:31:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Re: The Mysteries of Midnight. This week: Skeletons

Interesting observations :)

I've recently discovered the world of "wild edible plants" and have spent quite a bit of time in the last year learning, foraging, and consuming wild edibles.

Yarrow, Nettle, and Elderberries are among the plants I've had the pleasure of foraging, and consuming. (the rest of Y!PPs herbs do not grow in my area)
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jul 16, 2004 5:39:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Popadopolis

Kind of reminds me of Stephen Matcherin (sp?) of the Patrick O'Brien series of books. Stephen is, of course, a naturalist as well as a physician and is often pointing out rare and exotic forms of life (plant, animal, whatever). Of course, a crewmembers usual reply to one of Stephen's finds is, "can it be 'et?" :D
Nine out of ten pirates agree!
[Jul 17, 2004 9:34:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

nor is it a great wonder that this is such a powerful plant to use in forging deadly swords.

And delicate laurels :D
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jul 17, 2004 6:17:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Hempline

Skeletons

I will talk of the dreaded monstrosities now. The skeletons are monsters of the Midnight Ocean, forever hungry for treasure and blood. These are the undead constantly seeking retribution, and they thirst for vengeance on all of pirate-kind. Considering their lethal skills with a sword, they often get vengeance. Little was known of these fiends, but I shall attempt to shed some light upon these shadowy beings now.

Having fought these creatures before, I can attest to how amazing their skills are in the ways of dueling. I?ve fought both the past and present skeletons, and I shall be quick to say they dispatch me as quickly now as they have before. I?ll admit; I?m an explorer before a sword fighter. But considering this, it?s quite odd that an undead creature such as these should retain such subtle knowledge as is needed to be such an ultimate sword fighter. I?ve heard tale of zombies, another undead creature, that is the shell of who they once were; shambling, slow and unintelligent. Skeletons are not so. They speak to those daring to duel them in remarkably intelligent voices, though they are slightly disturbing? their voices remind me of someone talking in a deep cave very softly, but you can hear the haunting echoes as easily as if the speaker were standing right next to you. I?ll speak of this intelligence more in a few moments.

In olden-times, skeletons were held on certain islands, as if they were either trapped there by magic or command. The likes of Oestrum and Flow had many-a bony footprint in their day, and always a broken treasure chest that held their stolen earnings. I have reason to believe these old skeletons are different from those nowadays. These are the ancient pirates that, out of pure will or powerful emotion, have risen from their graves to return to life. Those willful creatures, however, eventually lose all thought of whom they once were and simply devolved into the crafty yet single-minded, greedy creatures we saw. Their only want; to increase their treasure horde. This is why I think they remained on these islands only. Too covetous of their treasure, they remained on their cache-islands, where they hide their riches. They were not unable to leave, but they simply were too greedy to do so. The only time the monsters left these isles were when a heroic bunch of pirates defeated them and took their precious treasure, relocating to another of their hideouts and thieving a whole new treasure trove.

The older skeletons, however, are now better hidden. The new generation has arisen? The Cursed. There are powerful users of magic and voodoo in these islands, and not all of them, I?m afraid to say, are friendly. There are those that use powerful dark magics for their own purposes, thieving pirates of their free will and cursing those that stand in their way. These dastardly fiends have created The Cursed. Placing dark enchantments on simple swabbies and helpful folk turn these once-kindhearted souls into the twisted monsters we see traveling the ocean now. Their curse now hangs heavy upon an island where they are located, darkening the very sun from the moment of their arrival to the instant they depart. ( http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v260/emberage/Skellies_Midnight.jpg )At first, I thought these dark agents were meant to simply steal prizes from those unlucky enough to happen upon them, but I began to wonder why then they wouldn?t attack boarder communities of pirates. Such pickings must be slim out in Luthien or Cranberry (where I have found and studied them). But it was there I realized that both of these islands had older civilizations upon them at one time. Buildings still stand, in fact. What if they were searching for something more than simple gold or swords, but a different type of treasure? Items of power, perhaps? Or something not dissimilar to the legendary golden scarab that lay in the Alpha Palace curio room? I cannot say, and this is simply a possibility. If any might provide facts one way or another, not only I would be grateful, but no doubt the rest of Midnight would also.

And finally, there comes the haunted grand frigate itself: El Pollo Diablo. This tattered undead menace holds one hundred of the most treacherous and powerful skeletons in the ocean. Seeming to be a vengeful crew of amazing skill and undead also, this deadly combination makes it the toughest opponent a crew will find in the ocean to date. It?s haunted hull drifts straight through high sandbars and massive rocks, it?s terrible tattered black sails make the massive form move as fast as the wind itself, and it?s cursed crew ready and quite able to dismember any crew it sees fit. In an ironic turn of events, however, this undead hunter attacks only those unethical pirates that attack ships far beneath them power-wise. For every time a beleaguered sloop is attacked by a bloodthirsty bunch on a war brig, this spectral ship will take its vengeance. Unfortunately, I do not know what the history is behind this doomed crew, but I am looking into it.

As a finishing note, I would suggest only those pirates that have immense courage and great skill to go against such a foe. The reward is great, but payment for failure is painful.
Hempline
Forever a Nameless Corsair
Island Designer
Hermit

omg welcum bak hmeplien we mist u

-Eurydice
[Jul 26, 2004 11:31:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I tell ye: the damned crew of El Pollo Diablo were once truly notorious pirates who would attack any ship that crossed their path, no matter how unfair the match was. Many were the sloops and cutters crushed beneath their keel or blown to flinders, and whole crews slaughtered with no quarter given, until the OceanMasters decided this was beyond the pale even for pirates.

So they cursed the grand frigate and all who sailed aboard her... cursed them to wander the ocean, never knowing land nor rest, defending the truly helpless from those who would prey upon them (as they themselves once did). Some say they are cursed forever; others say that each ship rescued is a mark against their tally in a very long and bloody ledger. Which is true, I cannot say.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jul 26, 2004 12:20:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

cmdrzoom wrote: 
I tell ye: the damned crew of El Pollo Diablo were once truly notorious pirates who would attack any ship that crossed their path, no matter how unfair the match was. ... Some say they are cursed forever; others say that each ship rescued is a mark against their tally in a very long and bloody ledger. Which is true, I cannot say.

I hear that the truth be that they be stuck to sail that ship of black til someone does send them to the watery grave they seek as release.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jul 26, 2004 1:29:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

'tis a fine tale indeed! The one thing I were missing was talk of when the skellies stalked the civilised lands.
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Jul 26, 2004 5:46:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
Pokeytax

Hempline's erudition and research shine through again. If those researching the peghearted Magog take half as much care, we have nothing to fear from lime-drizzled spooks.

Although, I must quibble with your insinuation that all skellies are monstrous - the few I've met have been polite enough chaps, if a little gaunt and daunting at first. And in fact, when victorious they seize but a pittance, a few coins and a trinket, while ravenous brutes that we are we take everything they've got. And any friend of the Dread Pirate Roberts is a friend of mine. I just wonder where the colors come from.
Pokeytax on Malachite
Pokey on Midnight
[Jul 26, 2004 10:41:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PinkkBeard

cmdrzoom wrote: 
the damned crew of El Pollo Diablo were once truly notorious pirates who would attack any ship that crossed their path, no matter how unfair the match was

Rubby. Well, old-school Rubby, he doesn't do that as much any more.
Homullus wrote: 
There are still myriad varieties of sucking that you can do

Thusnelda wrote: 
Pinkkbeard gets a gold star.

[size=9]Azure: Where'd everyone go?
[Jul 27, 2004 12:49:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

LongJohnGrey wrote: 

I hear that the truth be that they be stuck to sail that ship of black til someone does send them to the watery grave they seek as release.

It cannot be that, for I've heard at least two well-documented accounts where a band of brave (or insane, or both) pirates went seeking the Black Ship and actually defeated her skeletal crew, though with terrible losses... only to have the ghostly ship break away and sail back into the fog with nary a hand at stations, to be seen again the very next day.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jul 27, 2004 2:16:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

cmdrzoom wrote: 
LongJohnGrey wrote: 

It cannot be that, for I've heard at least two well-documented accounts where a band of brave (or insane, or both) pirates went seeking the Black Ship and actually defeated her skeletal crew, though with terrible losses...

And now we know why the blackship has grown.
Not to mention all the others that still wind up picking on blues only to be served punishment.

Why, I remember hearing just the other day of someone playing the ol blackship card on a megapillage...
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jul 27, 2004 8:11:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Khelben

There is a legend among the swabbies of the midnight ocean that back in the golden days of the now lost Azure Sea there once was a crew that had the grandest grand frigate. It was so huge that its deck could support a fourth mast. On it was enough guns of gigantic size and number that four full volleys was enough to sink any ship. The crew of this ship had terrorized the ocean preying on any ship smaller then they were.

Then one day the flag leaders of that time had gotten fed up with the grand crew pillaging their meager trade. A bloody battle ensued and the flag leaders had declared all out war on that ship. But it was to no avail the grand crew tore though the biggest flags at that time like they were butter. It had seemed there had been no way to stop them. Then a wise flag leader whose name was lost to history though some claim he was actually a god himself, came up with the ideal to lure that crew into a trap.

The trap was an barren isle hidden far off in a dangerous reefs shoal so far way from the normal shipping lanes that few ever ventured to it. The Flag leader with the help of the other flags made six identical treasure chests which were scattered far and wide across the ocean. Each chest was filled with riches and booty of the most powerful flag lords and also they had in them the instructions to the other chests and part of a map to a greater hoard that was suppose to buried on a far off isle.

The grand Crew fell for it hook line and sinker. They had collected all six parts of the map and in their greed left the ship unwatched. It was right at that moment the flag leaders had struck. The grand ship was scuttled to the bottom of the waters its great white sails burnt. The wise flag leader then collected every copy of the map to the isle where this grand crew were marooned and destroyed each copy he could retrieve thus sealing that crew to a long and painful death.

The isle was renamed and then written out of the history books. the Ile de Morte. Never to be seen by living beings again.

An age had come and gone and come again then the sightings began. Reports from far off shipping lanes had given rise of stories of a great black sailed ship of immense size terrorizing the larger crews on the water. Great storms had always proceeded its arrival and wreckage left in its wake. The attacks of the grand ship became almost predictable in that it always went after the aggressor when a lesser ship was attacked.

Along with the rumors of this blackened ship came tales of dead men gathering around six empty chests out on scattered isles. As time went on it had become common place for the dead men of the chests to be seen and many never made the connection to the old sea story of the grand ship's crew. Somewhere along the line someone stole the remains of the treasure that the hapless lost souls were gathering in the chests to free themselves of their curse. This led to the walking dead dispersing and randomly looking for their lost treasure. The black cloud of magic that surrounds their ship coats the ilse when they pull in. Though no one ever sees the ship in the harbor.

Scutlebutt has it that the rumored Ilse of adventure is none other then the ile de morte which the grand crew was abandoned on. Some of the rumors were that the path to the lost ile was getting close to being found by adventious souls who were working to learn the back water routes near the isles. If this be the case then it proves the decendents of the flag leaders are still trying to hide the ilse from the public, for now they have destroyed all the remaining maps that could inavertly open a path to this dreaded isle.
Talk softly and carry a big stick!
!A C++ P+ L+ GD++ D-- Cp Bl++ Sa++ Gu++ SF++ N+++ Bn++ Dr+ R++ Sh++ B F++
[Jul 27, 2004 5:45:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
aleidra

Can you answer me this?

Which islands have ye ever seen the skeletons on?

I know it is uninhabited, but just out of curiosity, which islands have they been confirmed to be on at different times?

Thanks!
[Sep 26, 2004 12:07:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

I've personally seen skellies on Iris, Luthien, Remora, and Endurance.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Sep 26, 2004 12:09:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKiri

And Cleopatra's Pearls.

Kiri
Ramiro Jr wrote: 
Yohoho!, sir. Yohoho!

Midnight Ocean: Why limit yrself to one archipelago?
[Sep 26, 2004 12:37:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.simthing.net [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

And Meke, Namath, Linx, and Durian.

I'm sure that they appear on ANY uncolonized island.
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Sep 26, 2004 12:40:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Raiva

Yep, any uncolonized island, is the way I understand it. I've seen 'em on Oseberg.
Crew: British Sea Power
Flag: Looterati
Personal Motto: wat
Secret Catchphrase: can i have 2 doubloom please
[Sep 26, 2004 3:10:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JCorrado

Or even colonized ones. I saw them on Byrne less than 10 days ago.
Johncorsair.

Watch this sig file for future signatures!
[Sep 27, 2004 12:24:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

JCorrado wrote: 

Really?
Interesting..

Recent sighting on Flow.
http://www.maghtuireadh.org/
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Manannan%27s_Seawolves

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
--------------------------------------------
"It's the damn of a new era!" - Pyn
[Sep 27, 2004 12:32:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Seamusmclir wrote: 
JCorrado wrote: 

Really?
Interesting..

Really?
[Sep 27, 2004 12:58:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Nemo wrote: 
Really?

Nemo.. You are odd water-fowl..

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Sep 27, 2004 1:00:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I was actually seconding your really, not reallying your really.
[Sep 27, 2004 1:21:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

You're still an odd water fowl though.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Sep 27, 2004 1:22:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Well, that's neither here nor there.
[Sep 27, 2004 1:22:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Nemo wrote: 
I was actually seconding your really, not reallying your really.

I second your second really, and really really your really.. really..

However, as the gent above mentioned.. Yer still an odd water fowl... :)

(Strange Duck, I'm sure ye all knew that though)

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Sep 27, 2004 1:23:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

Nemo wrote: 
Well, that's neither here nor there.

What d'ya mean its neither here nor there?
Its gotta be SOMEWHERE..

*sorry about the sig*

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Seamusmclir at Sep 27, 2004 1:24:38 AM]
[Sep 27, 2004 1:24:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I think it's lost in your enormous signature.
[Sep 27, 2004 2:28:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
swabbybeth

I saw skellies on Monsoon yesterday. It was my first encounter with them. No one in my flag would fight them with me. They were busy moving ships. I was sad.

PS: I've been playing this game for a bit now, about 3 months I guess. And this is my first post here in the forums.
Sexysarla: Proud Fandango

Cleaver wrote: 
the focus of the game is definitely on Piracy and hot Pirate-on-Pirate action

[Sep 27, 2004 8:56:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sarla23 [Link]  Go to top 
Seamusmclir

swabbybeth wrote: 
I saw skellies on Monsoon yesterday. It was my first encounter with them. No one in my flag would fight them with me. They were busy moving ships. I was sad.

PS: I've been playing this game for a bit now, about 3 months I guess. And this is my first post here in the forums.

Welcome to the forums SwabbyBeth!

Obsidian Calls Us Home.
[Sep 27, 2004 9:08:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.maghtuireadh.org/forum/    seamusmclir [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates