• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 305
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22174 times and has 304 replies Next Thread
raabitias

Re: Cnossos Blockade - Now has nothing to do with Cookiemonstr

*Confused about people supporting this madness*
----------------------------------------
Spelling Nazi.

NinjaGuy wrote: 
Well, that's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Congrats.

Avatar done by the extremely talented Kanawinkie.
[Nov 1, 2004 6:43:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    raabitias    Eight Flame [Link]  Go to top 
RavenHawk

RD, Just for the record.......The taxes were at 5% when I took over. I have not or will not raise them, as I have stated before. Get your facts straight before you start nik picking what I do or don't do. Thank you.....carry on.
Kissa
Queen of Evil
[Nov 1, 2004 9:14:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DirtyHole

Tee_Beard wrote: 
DirtyHole wrote: 
I did use a little exagerations there, but the point remains. The strategies Robertdonald employed might not be friendly, but they're certainly not an attack on personal character, they're just "playing the game."

And you could argue, conversely, that words are just words, and only in-game actions seem to matter in this case.

I mean, personal attack on character. Oh, dear, time to commit seppuku, my honor has been tarnished.

You totally missed the point.

Personally, I would rather have 100 war chests dropped on an island I own than have the usually friendly quality of the game dissolve into name-calling and other things one might find in Everquest or Warcraft III .

See, the point is not that an insult hurts so much, but that people do it at all.
[Nov 1, 2004 10:34:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    BoJanglesSC [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

For some reason, all this back-and-forth reminds me of the Treehouse Of Horror where Bart takes everyone onto Jerry Springer.

Oh -- Dorel: Did you post that bee metaphor because you're in the Yellow Jackets?
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Nov 1, 2004 11:34:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

DirtyHole wrote: 
Personally, I would rather have 100 war chests dropped on an island I own than have the usually friendly quality of the game dissolve into name-calling and other things one might find in Everquest or Warcraft III .

This isn't Everquest and Warcraft III, where the forum signal-to-noise ratio is so low you might as well replace with forum pages with the Concise Dictionary of Swear-Words and no one would notice.

Conversely, this game has so little game elements hard-coded into it (compared to EQ and WC3) that a large number of the gameplay, the negotiation and the parley, happen on online fora. It was designed that way.

I'm surprised you consider the game forums separate from actual gameplay. I've always considered Piratical Parley as part of the game -- if you want to participate in the high-level game, learn to play PirPar, or get someone who's good at it to play.

Every flag needs a PR officer. If you don't have one, or if your PR officer is no good, then accept the risk that some things will happen beyond your control.

It's not an honest way to play. It's not a clean way to play. But it's there. Learn to dabble in the muck, or accept the risk that you may end up getting covered in enough ordure that your success rate suffers as a result.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tee_Beard at Nov 1, 2004 12:59:06 PM]
[Nov 1, 2004 12:59:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DirtyHole

Tee_Beard wrote: 

I'm surprised you consider the game forums separate from actual gameplay. I've always considered Piratical Parley as part of the game -- if you want to participate in the high-level game, learn to play PirPar, or get someone who's good at it to play.

I don't really like to keep this going, but again, that's not the point. If someone had insulted the person behind Robertdonald online, it would be just as bad as on the fourms, and vice versa.

That done with, all I am saying is that I consider insults to the actual person a worse thing than anything you can do with blockades, which is a game-mediated competition.
[Nov 1, 2004 1:14:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    BoJanglesSC [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Tee_Beard wrote: 
This isn't Everquest and Warcraft III, where the forum signal-to-noise ratio is so high you might as well replace with forum pages with the Concise Dictionary of Swear-Words and no one would notice.

Should I?

... the forum signal-to-noise ratio is so low ...

Fixed
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Nov 1, 2004 1:20:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

BehindCurtai wrote: 
Tee_Beard wrote: 
This isn't Everquest and Warcraft III, where the forum signal-to-noise ratio is so high you might as well replace with forum pages with the Concise Dictionary of Swear-Words and no one would notice.

Should I?

... the forum signal-to-noise ratio is so low ...

Fixed

Damnit. Okay. Sigh. I'll edit it. Thanks.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Nov 1, 2004 1:24:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

DirtyHole wrote: 
I don't really like to keep this going, but again, that's not the point. If someone had insulted the person behind Robertdonald online, it would be just as bad as on the fourms, and vice versa.

That done with, all I am saying is that I consider insults to the actual person a worse thing than anything you can do with blockades, which is a game-mediated competition.

Huh. Weird. You know, I've never really separated players from their characters. Not in this game, and not the way you have.

Maybe that's why a lot of people are so harsh on RD.
Thesis
[Nov 1, 2004 1:26:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
1_EYED_WILLY

Just checking in but I see no one has made a valid point yet. Typical thread.
Nostradamus

Certified Syndicate

Hire us for Birthday Parties
[Nov 2, 2004 6:23:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rroberts

1_EYED_WILLY wrote: 

And well done for adding so much to the discussion.
[Nov 2, 2004 6:27:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chestertongrant.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

1_EYED_WILLY wrote: 

Jacksparrow is sexy.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Nov 2, 2004 6:34:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

Second.
His Holiness, The Dope
[Nov 2, 2004 7:06:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
raabitias

1_EYED_WILLY wrote: 

Nos is a girlyman. =)
Spelling Nazi.

NinjaGuy wrote: 
Well, that's one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Congrats.

Avatar done by the extremely talented Kanawinkie.
[Nov 2, 2004 7:50:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    raabitias    Eight Flame [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

Yarrr, Shore Leave off the starboard bow, cap'n!
I make my way across the sea, upon a mighty brig,
Searching for something lost to me: a pirate-worthy sig.
[Nov 2, 2004 8:29:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

hasnt RD earned a ban yet...?
[Nov 2, 2004 12:56:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

CrazyMorg wrote: 

For what exactly?
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[Nov 2, 2004 1:20:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

chewyshoe wrote: 
CrazyMorg wrote: 

For what exactly?

oh...he simply tries to ruin the game for people, flags and crews...

other than that i have no clue
[Nov 2, 2004 1:43:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

CrazyMorg wrote: 
chewyshoe wrote: 
CrazyMorg wrote: 

For what exactly?

He does all of this within the rules. (When I say rules, I mean rules made by the developers, not rules which have been created by select players.) So either the rules need to change, or yuo need to accept the fact he isnt going to be banned for those actions.
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[Nov 2, 2004 2:48:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrazyMorg

chewyshoe wrote: 
CrazyMorg wrote: 
chewyshoe wrote: 
CrazyMorg wrote: 

For what exactly?

He does all of this within the rules. (When I say rules, I mean rules made by the developers, not rules which have been created by select players.) So either the rules need to change, or yuo need to accept the fact he isnt going to be banned for those actions.

was genocides name directly in the rules?...think
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rroberts

There isn't so much of a grey area that's open to interpretation, more like about a hundred shades of grey. What Bobdon does is within the confines of the games 'rules' as set out in the terms of sale and other places by the ringers. The grey areas come in where there is a violation of what would be called the spirit of the game. The ToS explicitly states that anything that could be considered 'griefing', that is to wilfully disrupt someone else's fun to further your own enjoyment is not allowed. I think that there are dozens of reasons that are written in these forums every week regarding the behaviour of Robertdonald to warrant action of some kind. He must be the single most talked-about pirate in the game environment, and unfortunately revels in his notoriety. I'd have to agree with Horns that really *something* should be done about the constant problems that he causes and amount he ticks everyone else off, specifically as it falls into the category of playing the game how you want at the expense of anyone else. That's griefing, and it's just plain wrong.

Scarab
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chestertongrant.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

That "something" appears to be changes to the game itself. Which, in this circumstance, is the correct answer.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rroberts

That's interesting. How could you put an in-game mechanism in to stop griefing? We already have /complain and /blackspot, but they (if they've been used) have proven largely ineffectual. What would you suggest Fron?
[Nov 2, 2004 5:03:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chestertongrant.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

rroberts wrote: 
We already have /complain and /blackspot, but they (if they've been used) have proven largely ineffectual.

Ineffectual? Tell that to all the greenies I've seen banned due to my use of them, and the even more who got a whisk to Faraway Island X, and got a nice little name change. It is effective, it's just a shame so many people are afraid to use it.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Nov 2, 2004 5:21:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
rroberts

No, you misunderstand. I know it works for greenies and such, but I mean that it is obviously not working against RD and his ilk, if it is being used at all. If there has been some punishment handed out that we don't know about for his griefing actions, then let's hear it so we can see that something has been done, and if not, then it's ineffectual. What other game mechanic can be introduced that can deter established players from griefing?

Scarab
[Nov 2, 2004 5:36:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chestertongrant.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Seriosuly how has what RD done griefing? I don't think he has done more than 3 blockades a month total max. Correct me if I am wrong about those numbers.

You can't defend your island once a month?
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Nov 2, 2004 5:57:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

rroberts wrote: 
That's interesting. How could you put an in-game mechanism in to stop griefing? We already have /complain and /blackspot, but they (if they've been used) have proven largely ineffectual. What would you suggest Fron?

I meant that in this case the fact that it's even possible means something needs to be changed in the design. Such changes are already in the works.

It does no good to ban someone who is technically staying within the rules as anyone else can do it too.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Nov 2, 2004 6:32:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pegleg_Joe

rroberts wrote: 
The ToS explicitly states that anything that could be considered 'griefing', that is to wilfully disrupt someone else's fun to further your own enjoyment is not allowed.
(My bold)

A dictionary wrote: 
Explicit: precisely and clearly expressed or readily observable; leaving nothing to implication

The ToS wrote: 
[Players may not] engage in any behaviour that is contrary to the 'spirit of the game'

I challenge your statement, Scarab, and contend that it is not supported by the evidence.
Barnie
A Far Too Jolly Roger
Looterati

Et des boyaux du dernier prêtre - Serrons le cou du dernier roi.

[Nov 2, 2004 9:41:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rroberts

Pegleg_Joe wrote: 
rroberts wrote: 
The ToS explicitly states that anything that could be considered 'griefing', that is to wilfully disrupt someone else's fun to further your own enjoyment is not allowed.
(My bold)

A dictionary wrote: 
Explicit: precisely and clearly expressed or readily observable; leaving nothing to implication

The ToS wrote: 
[Players may not] engage in any behaviour that is contrary to the 'spirit of the game'

I challenge your statement, Scarab, and contend that it is not supported by the evidence.

Umm, but it is "Precisely and clearly expressed" if it says "Players may not" do something, surely? Either that or my English Language qualifications are all nonsense. Perhaps your contention is in whether anything with such a broad term as "contrary to the 'spirit of the game'" can be explicit. I contend that it is contrary to the 'spirit of the game' if a number of people has an issue with it. I also contend that a number of people *do* have an issue with RD's behaviour (not saying I'm one of them or implying anything of the sort) because of the amount of commentary on this community forum regarding said behaviour.

Hope that clears up my point of view here.

Scarab
[Nov 2, 2004 10:43:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chestertongrant.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
riallatar

/me coughs and mumbles something about attacking the same player every ten minutes for two hours.
Riallatar
Senior Officer of the Cult of the Red Mantis
Member of the Flag Looterati
[Nov 3, 2004 12:29:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 305   Pages: 11   [ First Page | Previous Page | 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates