• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 207
Posts: 207   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 52347 times and has 206 replies Next Thread
Deborah

A Sailor's Yarn -- "Woolly" event for All Oceans [Winners Announced!] Reply to this Post

Winners Announced!

When a Sailor isn't Sailing, what does he do with his free time? In days gone by, British seamen may have passed the time by creating handcrafted textiles known as "woollies". Sailors had to know a good deal about knot-tying and sewing for their regular duties aboard their vessels, and they used this knowledge to create beautiful yarn art in their free time.

Who: Individual pirates on Any Ocean
What: create a Y!PP-themed "woolly" based on the instructions below, then submit photos to this forum for judging
When: April 2 - May 3, 2008
Where: In the entry thread in Mariner's Muse

Prize List (please list desired prize order in your entry)
please note: the Real Life prize will NOT be swapped with an ingame one. If you wish the Real Life prize, mark it high on your list, and if you win you will be asked to provide Apollo with an acceptable mailing address. If you don't want that item, mark it low on your list.
Ginger Monkey
Leviathan Tooth

Woolly Sheephead -- war brig
Tree Tapestry
2 Flag Tapestries, winner picks colors, no black or gold
White Sheep (with Black Face)
Faux Weavery Furniture Package: 1 Loom, 2 bundles of cloth, 1 dyer, 1 Spinning Wheel, 1 Stool, 1 Shabby Table, 1 Spools, winner picks colors, no black or gold
Needle and Thread Package: 1 green/blue dirk, 1 red/yellow stiletto, 3 rope coils (various colors)
Viking Clothing: male or female chain mail and Overlord helmet (for male) or Valkyrie helmet (for female), winner picks colors, no black or gold
Real Life items: Kraken Tote Bag and Puzzle Pirates playing cards
1st - 10th place will also receive an inscribed Ribbon trinket
Honorable Mentions will receive a Spinning Wheel

The Rules (please read all rules before beginning your project):

Making a "Woolly":
A "woolly" is similar to embroidery or crewel-work, except the entire piece is covered in stitched yarn. None of the canvas or backing material shows through to the front side on the finished piece. Woollies typically use several different types of stitching to provide texture and detail.

Some sites with information and examples of "woollies" can be found at:
Antiques Council
Sailor Made Woolworks
Vallejo Gallery 1
Vallejo Gallery 2

For this contest:
Choose any Y!PP ship (from sloop to grand frigate) as the main focus for a seascape picture. Subject must be a y!pp ship (or more than one if it's a battle scene) and be Y!PP-appropriate (ex: no steamboats, submarines, rocketships, etc.). You may create a shipwreck, or include an Atlantis citadel / attacking sea creature / other interesting details as background, but there should be a recognizable y!pp ship as the main focal point. You may add detail not see in y!pp (ex: extra rigging, colors, figureheads, backgrounds not found ingame) but the basic ship(s) must be y!pp-based.

Finished project should be no smaller than 8" per side and no larger than 16" per side (otherwise you'll be crafting for months).

Create a seascape design incorporating your chosen Y!PP ship and any background elements you wish to include, and sketch it onto your preferred backing material. Backing material may be the traditional canvas, or cloth, or just a piece of stiff paper. It's going to end up completely covered in yarn, so it's not terribly important what kind of material you choose.

You may either sew or glue your chosen yarn / thread to the backing material (or use a combination of sewing and gluing) to create this project. You can use any type and color of yarn, embroidery floss, and/or thread you choose. You may use any type of stitch and/or several different types of stitch to create your "woolly". Do not include glitter or beads or other non-textile items in this project.

Hints:
--Read the entire event writeup so you are certain that your desired seascape will work within the parameters of this contest. If you have questions, post to this thread or PM "deborah" at the y!pp forums.
--Use an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper as a rough size guide for this project.
--Take time to plan out your project and budget your time. Woollies require a lot of time and patience. You have approximately 4 weeks to complete this project; don't wait until the last minute to get started.
--Your entries will be judged from the "finished product" photographs you provide. Be careful about things like lighting (too dark and we can't see your work, too much light and it will be washed-out), zoom (too far away and detail will be hard to see, too close and it may become blurry), and including the required ruler and pirate identifying information.

How to enter:
1. Create "woolly" artwork according to specifications above.
2. Take at least 5 photographs of your artwork: 1 "components" phase showing the various types and colors of yarn and thread used, 1 "design" phase showing your sketched seascape, 2 "creation" phase to prove it's your own work, and 1 "finished product" for judging. You *must* include your Pirate Name/Ocean and a ruler somewhere in each photo to approximate size for the judges (no photoshopping).
3. Post your entry to the appropriate thread in Mariner's Muse. Any entries posted in the wrong thread will *not* be judged.

Posting your entry:
1. Include your pirate name and Ocean in your entry, sig line info is ok. Only entries to the correct thread will be judged.
2. Get your images hosted online at someplace like imageshack or photobucket.
3. Provide links to your photos in your entry. You may submit all the entry photos as links, but please only post one photo per entry to the thread itself.
4. Submit a minimum of 5 photos / links per entry. You must have at least 1 component photo, 1 design photo, 2 creation photos, and 1 finished project photo as part of your entry. More photos are always welcome!
5. In your submission, list the prize options in the order you'd like to receive them, should your entry win.

Judging:
Judging will be based on objective and subjective criteria. Honorable mentions will be made at the discretion of the Judges.

OBJECTIVE:
--main seascape subject is a Y!PP ship
--final product looks similar to a traditional "woolly" as per the examples given, regarding both content and texture. finished piece should showcase a y!pp vessel at sea.
--project primarily utilizes yarn/thread/embroidery floss as the main craft component
--project fits within the size range
--seascape follows the rules set out in this contest (no glitter, fits in general Y!PP time period, etc.)
SUBJECTIVE:
--creativity/originality of seascape design
--fine detail and complexity / variety of stitching or gluing
--overall appeal of completed "woolly" (does it appeal to you, engage your imagination, is it something you would say, "Wow, that's nifty!" about?)

Other Stuff: If you have questions or comments, please post in this thread or contact Madmarymeade via PM at this forum.

This event brought to you courtesy of Seraph's Nightmare on the Midnight Ocean

edit: added links to entry thread
----------------------------------------
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Edit 9 times, last edit by Sevillanas at Jun 25, 2008 9:57:46 PM]
[Apr 2, 2008 1:39:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ascotte

Re: A Sailor's Yarn -- "Woolly" event for All Oceans Reply to this Post

wonderful, intense contest!
Ascotte,
member of the White Seahorse Club.
Playing on Emerald

"East-West, Huntards are best!"

tells ye, "You invented forum cades"

[Apr 2, 2008 1:48:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dismissed

Wow, sounds like great fun!

One clarification,

--seascape follows the rules set out in this contest (no glitter, no humanoids, fits in general Y!PP time period, etc.)

I don't see anything about humanoids in the rest of the post, is that just something I missed? I liked the idea of having sailors scrambling in the rigging.
~M/Hephistocles

Hephaestus tells you, "I'm going to blame more stuff on you in the future, I think."
[Apr 2, 2008 2:00:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Erm. That's a booch on my part, lemme go fixy.

Originally the entry was to avoid having 'humanoids' so that people wouldn't make basically a yarn-y version of their ingame avatar or portrait and think that 'counted'. However, it was pointed out to me that if someone wanted to add small pirates aboard the vessel, it would probably look nifty.

--m3, fixying.
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
[Apr 2, 2008 2:02:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

*whistles*

Thats an EVENT right there. Impressive idea, with hopefully some impressive entries. Depending on how much the materials cost I might even try something. Super-kudos, and best of luck. This is going to be just as enjoyable for the spectators as the entrants, I feel.
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Apr 2, 2008 2:07:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
kittycool

Wow, this seems interesting!

I might try... depending if I can be bothered ;P
Kittyocool on Hunter
[Apr 2, 2008 4:02:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IantheKorean

This sounds like an awesome event, but why do people always decide to do these during crunch time for college students. ;(
[Apr 2, 2008 7:10:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ascotte

4. Submit a minimum of 5 photos / links per entry. You must have at least 1 component photo, 1 design photo, 2 creation photos, and 1 finished project photo as part of your entry. More photos are always welcome!

You mean like we need to take 2 pictures in advance (1 of the design), and then 2 while creating it?
Right? just to get this straight and have no mistakes on that.
Ascotte,
member of the White Seahorse Club.
Playing on Emerald

"East-West, Huntards are best!"

tells ye, "You invented forum cades"

[Apr 2, 2008 8:46:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cassopia

ahoi,

event for All Oceans

also Opal is allowed?
Whitenose on Sage || (Cassopia on Opal)
----------
Sage - Time:6:30 am || German-Time: 3:30 pm
Whitenose loves doll's
[Apr 2, 2008 9:21:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Events like this make me wish I had some degree of artistic skill, and/or the patience to acquire some. Maybe I'll give it a go anyways. Fellow contestants, any advice for a non-good art/sew-er guy?
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Talisker at Apr 2, 2008 10:18:13 AM]
[Apr 2, 2008 10:17:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

also Opal is allowed?

Yes, although we would need to provide an appropriate German ship rename. I can talk to Thalia about that. :)
[Apr 2, 2008 11:20:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Very interesting event! I wish I had time to make one (not that I have talent, but I do have yarn).
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Apr 2, 2008 11:22:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ilyarus2004

Phew lol.... I thought it said April 2nd to April 3rd lol.

Also can ye like give us a link to tutorial a never sawn before is this done on a paper or how is it done?
Ilya on most of the oceans,
Russian on Midnight.

Hypnos tells ye, "i burn u"

Avatars by Silverransom, Domokun, Shortyjack and Tilinka!
[Apr 2, 2008 12:29:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
daleenmarine

Events like this make me wish I had some degree of artistic skill, and/or the patience to acquire some. Maybe I'll give it a go anyways. Fellow contestants, any advice for a non-good art/sew-er guy?

Because I'm not really an artistic type, I focus on creating entries that are fun for me to make so that even when I don't win, I had fun "making". I choose materials that will be easy to work with or learn to use as well as inexpensive since I tend to go through a lot of extra while making learner mistakes. If there is a requirement for a design that I don't feel confident enough to draw, I photoshop existing pictures (if the event allows) and give credit to the original source. Also, give yourself a little leeway when doing the actual creation step...you don't always necessarily have to follow your template/pattern exactly as drawn and may come up with some interesting textures, designs, etc. by allowing yourself to become immersed in the process.

Hope that helps, Leif!
HuskerMike wrote: 
It feels like you're on a jihad against me.

Antix wrote: 
And if he turns out to be an innocent lets not remember that fact at all.

[Apr 2, 2008 12:37:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dionyza

<==
<==
<==

Oho! An event that combines my two favorite hobbies! Thank you!

Yarrrrn!

T.
[Apr 2, 2008 12:48:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.iasis.net    dionyzae    dionyzae [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

For the "non-sew-er" type, if I understand the instructions, you could glue yarn to paper (or some base)--- the point being, the surface base should be ENTIRELY covered by yarn...

Am I on the right track with this link?
yarn painting

*edit - I think I found a better link...
yarn painting also

IF I AM WRONG about the method, let me know asap and I will remove my post asap. Just trying to help a bit :)
DEXLA LOUISA MIDNIGHT on Cerulean
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Dexla at Apr 2, 2008 1:15:08 PM]
[Apr 2, 2008 1:08:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Aye, Dexla, that's a-ok. Glue, double-stick tape, adhesive spray...all that kind of stuff counts. Sewing, and then using glue to tack stray threads? That's fine too.

The basic gist is, the entire artwork should be covered in yarn so no backing material shows through. You will likely end up with something suitable for framing, even if you don't win the top prize.

Regarding the requested photos:

Take one photo during your sketching/design phase. Did you hand-draw something? Adjust or rework screenshots? What did your base design look like? Inquiring minds want to know!

Take one photo of the materials you used. I'd love to see what colors and types of yarn and thread you chose. If you have finished your project and then realize "Oh, what this needs is some seagulls!" Don't Worry. I'm looking for the material photo to contain *most* of the items you used, not Everything And The Kitchen Sink.

Take two photos while you are sewing / gluing / etc. We want to see your progress and how you turned a beautiful design into a lovely work of art.

Take at least one photo of your finished project.

You can, of course, take more than the required 5 photos, but those are the bare minimum needed to qualify for prizes. I felt very badly for people during a contest I ran last fall because they didn't submit the required # of photographs and I had to disqualify them.

--m3

PS -- Rumors of Jainasolo hoarding sheep for this contest are entirely unfounded.
[Apr 2, 2008 3:35:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

are painting white yarns allowed?
Nutella is so good :D.-Philippines/Jedoy
[Apr 2, 2008 3:57:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
Shanglan

Neat idea! I might not be able to enter, but I really love the concept.
[Apr 2, 2008 3:59:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Painting white yarn? Not ok. Using dye? That's very appropriate. Destroying ugly sweaters or unused afghans to get yarn? Also appropriate.

:)

--m3
[Apr 2, 2008 4:10:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Is this ok?

It's a metallic thread that I wanted to use for some of the rigging. Figured there is no harm in asking.
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Apr 2, 2008 4:24:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

Metallic thread is a-ok. DMC floss is a-ok. Dental floss it Not OK.

--m3
[Apr 2, 2008 4:33:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

I did this back in high school for an art project. It wasn't of a ship though. I'm sadden by the lack of yarn I have. :(
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Apr 2, 2008 5:02:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Wow, awesome event.

One question. I have done similar things (ok not YPP related) wayyyy back in my college years, but I never used a sketch to go off of, because I usually improvised too much and the finished project never looked like the sketch. Do I absolutely have to have a sketch? And if yes, how much am I going to be penalized for not sewing what I drew?
Jolyma

[Apr 2, 2008 5:46:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

I don't mind if your sketch looks different than your finished product. Halfway through you may realize your mast needs to be thicker or thinner, or that you want more rigging, or that all those gunports are going to be too tedious to put in.

If you want, for that particular photo, just take the "canvas" you've chosen and photograph your sketch that is on it before you begin the sewing / gluing step. That'd count.

--m3
[Apr 2, 2008 6:00:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shanglan

I've got a question about the judging criteria - specifically, about this one:

--final product looks similar to a traditional "woolly", as per the examples given, and primarily utilizes yarn/thread/embroidery floss as the main craft component

Sorry, I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but with "looks similar to," are you referring solely to materials and technique, or also to style and content?

I'm askng because I was thinking of trying to do a Puzzle Pirates-style cartoonish look in a close-up action scene. The sloop would be central and take up most of the picture, but it would be a great deal closer up and have much more action than any of the woolies shown as examples. That would look pretty different in the style/content category, so I wanted to check before I put in all that effort toward making a fool of myself. :)
[Apr 2, 2008 7:19:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

I'm also looking at content, though you can change things stylistically and make it cartoon-y, or more realistic, or more y!pp-piratey. You don't have to do a broadside view of the ship(s), and they can be closer up, but we should be able to see some sea around the vessel, and we should be able to see the whole ship, rather than just a partial pic of the top deck.

Typically, woollies were showcasing the seaman's vessel, and that's what we're looking for here...showcasing a Y!PP ship at sea.

Taking a screenshot aboard a vessel or the Atlantean Swordfight background and using that for the basis of your entry won't work, as an example.

I'll edit the rules above. --m3
[Apr 2, 2008 7:40:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lizperk23

Wow, what an awesome idea for an event! I'm a crochet/cross stitch gal and I've hoped for something like this for a long time--of course I don't know if I'll have the time to do a decent entry, but kudos for the idea & implementation!

JL
"Yohoho the winds blow free-oh for the life of the rolling sea!"
Jollylady on Viridian
[Apr 2, 2008 8:42:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
baast

Dear Mary,

I freaking love you.

Ever since I read Vistr's PM about this contest my mind has been going nuts planning and doing and wheeee! Finally a constest I can do!

Love,
Sass
Sassafras, on 5/7 4/5 oceans.
Barefoot in protest since 2003.

Will puzzle for wool.
[Apr 3, 2008 11:56:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://soapturtle.net [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Dear Mary,

I freaking love you.

Ever since I read Vistr's PM about this contest my mind has been going nuts planning and doing and wheeee! Finally a constest I can do!

Love,
Sass

....So, you had knowledge of this event before it was posted?
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Apr 3, 2008 1:05:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 207   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates