• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2023 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
Kaji

Kinda Sorta Workin on a Mac Reply to this Post

After feeling my way through the glitch-filled character creation screen, I've successfully been able to play PP on a Mac. Sorta... You see, everything works just fine, except REALLY REALLY SLOOOOOOOW. I'm doing well in most areas and am part of a crew! I've even beaten my own captain in swordfighting! Just thought I'd let people know it works...just not very well. And I hope a future beta or something makes it better cuz the current framerate (1 frame per 5 seconds) is starting to give me a headache. @_@
[Jul 23, 2003 1:33:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pigeon

Re: Kinda Sorta Workin on a Mac Reply to this Post

hmm. upon reading this post, I excitedly rushed off to try to play, since I'd gone through character creation on a Wintel box while showing off the game to my friends, only to be crushed to discover that Puzzle Pirates now fails to launch, citing an incorrect version of Java. this is weird, since I was able to launch it before on my Mac, although character creation was all messed up. has something changed? is there anything I can do?

--p
----------------------------------------
--p

SOYLENT PIRATE IS WHIRLIGIGS
[Jul 23, 2003 3:56:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Eric

pigeon wrote: 
hmm. upon reading this post, I excitedly rushed off to try to play, since I'd gone through character creation on a Wintel box while showing off the game to my friends, only to be crushed to discover that Puzzle Pirates now fails to launch, citing an incorrect version of Java. this is weird, since I was able to launch it before on my Mac, although character creation was all messed up. has something changed? is there anything I can do?

--p

Yar, try going to "Applications/Utilities/Java/Java Web Start" go into the preferences, and clear the cache. Then go to the puzzle pirates play page and hit the launch game link.

Also, Apple is busily working on getting some fixes into their next version of the JVM which should help things immensly in terms of graphics performance and correct rendering. Also 10.3 looks like it will speed things up as well. Hopefully the next release of the JVM from Apple happens soon and all us Apple afficianados will be able to play! :)
[Jul 24, 2003 2:48:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaji

Yeah, opening Yohoho through Java Web Start is the only way I've found to get it to work.
[Jul 25, 2003 1:54:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JediPwnces

Hooray! Reply to this Post

I'm so glad there are other people who are anxious for Apple to get their act together... Don't they know I have swashbuckling to do???? ;) Anyhow... Thanks for the Java-fenagling advice.

Mad Muffin Annie
----------------------------------------
Aspasia, Humble Captain of The Muffineers

'A one that is not cold is scarcely a one at all'
[Aug 8, 2003 11:21:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kidsononline.com/~holly    JediPwnces [Link]  Go to top 
Persona

Go Mac coders goo! I'm still on OS9, and I've enjoyed both games.com and playsite (especially through their partnership with collegeclub.com). So help me, I'm looking forward to 10.3 in part because I'll finally get to try this thing out.
[Aug 9, 2003 11:28:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    paersona [Link]  Go to top 
Kaji

I'm praying for that new system's release. I hope it comes out soon because I've had some of the best times on this game and it stinks that it no longer works...
[Aug 9, 2003 1:37:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jfcote

Panther Only? Reply to this Post

Yar, try going to "Applications/Utilities/Java/Java Web Start" go into the preferences, and clear the cache. Then go to the puzzle pirates play page and hit the launch game link.

So this "kinda working" mac version is on Panther? Or is it a version played on some unreleased Apple Java 1.4.2? I'm really itching to play...

I've been evangelizing Mac OS X for a while now because Everything works on it. Java was always a mess on old Mac OSes. But til Puzzle Pirates I thought Mac OS X's Java was rock solid...

Is there a way to play this glitchy-slow version on Jaguar? I tried clearing the Java Web Start cache as explained, then re-downloading the client. I get the same old error:
-----------------------------------------------------
Java Web Start: Invalid argument error
[!] Unable to launch Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates
[details][ok]
-----------------------------------------------------
(Well it's not an Ascii Alert Box)

I guess it's normal since it requires 1.4.2... And we're stuck with a buggy 1.4.1. That's what it says in the [details] tabs.

Aaar.
[Aug 28, 2003 8:14:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaji

There used to be a way to play on Jaguar. I played it (with MUCH slowdown) for about a month. Now it requires Java 1.4.2 which means no more OSX until Panther comes out or Java releases a new version for Macs. It sucks, hard.
[Aug 28, 2003 8:16:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tipeon

FYI: This thread started at a time Y!PP required only Java 1.4.1
It "kinda worked" for some time, but not anymore.

EDIT: booched. He outrun me by one minute. :)
[Aug 28, 2003 8:17:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates