• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 141
Posts: 141   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13290 times and has 140 replies Next Thread
Shuranthae

A keen eye to detail, one truth prevails... Reply to this Post

Consider this my next puzzle challenge. Since there's so much talk about expoits and figuring things out, I'm curious how many tricks I know that no one else in the Ocean hasn't figured out here. So here's one such trick, to which maybe you will figure out with a simple answer: How did I do this?

To those that know me and I've shared this secret with, I'd appreciate it if you not answer. If you think you've figured it out, send me a PM as I love secrets staying secret. That's half the fun, neh?
[Jul 7, 2004 3:30:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tieom

Re: A keen eye to detail, one truth prevails... Reply to this Post

How did I do this?

How did you do what? How you got 3 straight pieces in the box? How did you place a piece and still get a masterwork? How did you get a swabby named Scathing Blade? For me it's enough of a riddle figuring out what you're asking in the first place.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MaxDemian

you pressed alt+print screen. do I win?
----------------------------------------
"Maxdemian is quite right" -Demeter
Diamond: because Quizzical's signature is too good NOT to steal!
Max's House of Black!!!!!22
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.flvresources.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Well, whatever you did, it ain't helping yer damage level.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jul 7, 2004 8:40:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drewmetoo

And theres zero chance of getting another masterpiece in a row!
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
[Jul 7, 2004 8:46:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

drewmetoo wrote: 
And theres zero chance of getting another masterpiece in a row!

Incorrect. The masterpiece counter only stops when you finish a non-masterpiece.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Jul 7, 2004 9:07:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Hrm. It says "Shuranthae abandoned a duty station", yet it shows the board.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Jul 7, 2004 9:08:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
MaxDemian

Varthlokkur wrote: 
Hrm. It says "Shuranthae abandoned a duty station", yet it shows the board.

yeah, he abandoned and started carping...
"Maxdemian is quite right" -Demeter
Diamond: because Quizzical's signature is too good NOT to steal!
Max's House of Black!!!!!22
[Jul 7, 2004 9:11:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.flvresources.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
MasterMonkey

You tell me how to get more boards in this puzzle without finishing a non-masterpiece

Put one of the straight pieces in one hole, forget about that hole and continue with the next piece (which is quite likely not to be straight) in the other holes.

Granted he wouldn't be able to get many more masterpieces since he can't allow the non-masterpiece to booch, but there's still a large possibility of getting atleast 3 more.

[Edit]Hmm, where'd that post go that I was quoting? Me thinks that someone realised it was a silly point :)
Stinkie

Proud co-owner of the Good Ship Lollipop
[Jul 7, 2004 9:22:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wendtly

Move the current Piece Reply to this Post

Of course, the last played piece, outlined in blue, is still moveable. So move it elsewhere, thus allowing you to put one straight piece in its place, and continuing.
~ Boochie ~
Senior Officer of the Azure Rebellion
Princess of Maritime Law
[Jul 7, 2004 10:09:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AngryChair

Ooh we're not worthy, keeper of secrets.
[size=7]Sun shines in the bedroom when we play
the raining only starts when you go away

[Jul 7, 2004 10:34:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mellonco11ie [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Just keep playing other pieces and letting the long ones accumulate until you have three of them sitting there, and then take a screen shot. What's so hard about it?
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Jul 7, 2004 11:53:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amosko

Hmmm... If everyone is on Carp how do you have any speed...
Zebulan, Scribe of Innocent of Silver Dawn!
The Ruby Arch: More fun than a barrel!!
[Jul 8, 2004 12:03:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MKSparrow

I Think he refers to having a glowing hammer after a disengagement...the rating usually goes down to zero (as if you just started the puzzle), but if you re-enter the puzzle it comes back
Is it rainning?
[Jul 8, 2004 12:08:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amosko

MKSparrow wrote: 
I Think he refers to having a glowing hammer after a disengagement...the rating usually goes down to zero (as if you just started the puzzle), but if you re-enter the puzzle it comes back

He could have disengaged before the last league point and gotten it back up since...
Zebulan, Scribe of Innocent of Silver Dawn!
The Ruby Arch: More fun than a barrel!!
[Jul 8, 2004 12:15:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Wow, no one knew what I was talking about. Quiz was the closest, and he's wrong. The trick is getting the pieces you want. If I'm not mistaken, the I's are the rarest piece. And I got all those I's within a 5-7 piece/turn time table.

The question was how did I do this, not how do I do this. =)
[Jul 8, 2004 12:32:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Riah

luck? heh

[Jul 8, 2004 12:40:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

The question that comes to my mind is why did you do this?

The "I" pieces are useless to the board in the screenshot.

Are you saying you've figured out the algorithm of piece generation, so you can predict what piece will be next based on which ones are displayed and which one ye use? So that by using the 'correct' piece you could easily get whatever set of pieces in your 'hand' as ye want? Whether it be 3 "I"'s or 3 "+"'s or whatever....?
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jul 8, 2004 12:41:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Now we're getting somewhere. No one's yet told me how I actually did it though. *grins*

I use I's because I thought they were the rarest piece and for no other reason. Oh, and it's not prediction as it is manipulation. Although I guess if I can make the game give me a certain piece within a certain number of turns, that means I can reasonably predict what I'll soon get anyway?
[Jul 8, 2004 12:48:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 

based on the sawdust on yer normally white apron i'd say ye used the ole "saw and glue" method :P
Bring back foraging for commodities

Age - Senior Officer of the Falcon's Fury on Midnight(former)
Age - a pea on Malachite(former)
Age - a Disfuntional Family member on Cobalt
[Jul 8, 2004 12:58:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wnorman

Photoshop?

[size=9]heh
Shark
Captain of Ransack Marauders
Prince and Admiral of Silver Dawn

[size=9]Greenie says, "are you a rael shark/"
[Jul 8, 2004 1:10:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRug

Shuranthae wrote: 
Now we're getting somewhere. No one's yet told me how I actually did it though. *grins*

Hm. Well, I can't tell you how you did it, because I just don't know. Being a logical sort, though, I'll work my way through what I can reason about this.

1) You've stated that you manipulated the game into giving you this, so obviously there is some thing you are doing to cause it - you aren't predicting what the game is going to give you, you are interacting somehow with the puzzle to influence the generation of peices.

2) What you are doing is getting the puzzle to give you a specific peice. It is unknown if you are duplicating a peice that it has already given you, or if you are able to specify any peice that you want it to generate.

3) The ways in which we can interact with the puzzle are:
A) pick up a peice
B) drop a peice back into the tool kit
C) rotate a peice
D) flip a peice
E) place a peice in a hole
F) move a just-placed peice
G) quit
Side effects of E are:
i) creating a masterpeice
ii) creating a craftmanship
iii) creating a fair job
iv) creating a sloppy work
v) creating a pig's breakfast
vi) adding another peice to a hole.

4) Given that you didn't mess with the screenshot, you are working on a masterpeice sequence because the hammer is sparkly, so most of the side effects of E don't apply. So you are placing or moving peices somehow in a way that generates 'I' peices. It is possible the answer is off-screen, since you may have done something in a hole previous to this one that influences the answer.

5) I can think of the following possibilites:
a) the fact that you are not using the peice generates more of it. This seems really mean if it's the case, but would explain those times when it seems like the only peice I get is the one that I can't use.
b) there is some manipulation of the peice that generates more of them. Possibly a sequence of lifting and replacing in the tool box? I'm not certain what could effect this.
c) there is something about the shape of the holes that spawns peices.
d) there is something I haven't thought of.

I'm not sure where to go from here. If I had a ton of time, I would randomly flip peices in the puzzle, seeing if I can create a strange sequence. But I don't have the right mindset to find hidden features like this, because it generally requires manipulating each individual element of the puzzle in odd ways, trying to see how it reacts. *Shrug*. I leave that to the QA people, of whom, thankfully, I am no longer.

-Rugsby, the Hairiest Pirate Who's Ever Over Analyzed a Wierd Puzzle Action.
-Rugsby, formerly of Midnight and now of HunterEmerald

no .sig, no .plan, no .clue
[Jul 8, 2004 1:49:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Enough people play the carp puzzle often enough that you're probably not the first to have three long pieces at once like that, nor will you be the last. Dumb luck, plus take a screenshot when something weird happens, is sufficient to explain what happened.

If you've found and are using a method to control which pieces you get, that would make you a cheater. Apart from the existence of such a method being unlikely, even if that were the case, it is further unlikely that you would come here to talk about it, so let's dismiss that possibility.

The other thing that comes to mind is that if you figured out the random piece generator (which should be very hard to do) and knew when three long pieces were coming relatively close together, you could have saved them to have all three up for a screenshot at once. That also seems rather weird.

And then there is the possibility that the screenshot is rigged. You could have edited the screenshot outside of the game, or perhaps used some in-game glitch to make something appear on the screen that shouldn't, without actually having three long pieces available for use.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Jul 8, 2004 2:16:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I've known how to do this before I knew how to Battle Nav actually, as I recall having a conversation with Silvermoon about this very theory. This occurred around late December / early Janurary I believe. As I said, with the talk of expoits and people claiming they figured things out for themselves, I'm simply curious how many tricks people have truly figured out. I know this is one of the less known ones as I've never heard of anyone else figuring this little trick out, so I thought it might be a good test. I'm merely disgusted with the way people think they're skilled simply because they can copy other people's techniques instead of figuring out their own, and nothing has brought this way of thinking out more than the recent last second exploiting. Anyone who really figured out how to do the last second exploit on their own should be able to easily find out how I did this. Of all the posts and PMs so far, I've only seen one promising one.

Oh btw, Silver didn't believe me either at the time and thought it was mere coincidence. I've done it time and time again though. *snickers at Silver*
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Shuranthae at Jul 8, 2004 2:22:10 AM]
[Jul 8, 2004 2:22:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

<rainman>
We're counting cards, yeah, definitely counting cards.
</rainman>
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jul 8, 2004 2:22:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

Wee, more exploits! And here I thought people actually played games...
[Jul 8, 2004 2:33:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

I have no idea, but you are my new hero.

Not for the fact that you can perform that specific task, but for your ability to figure it out. I'm stumped.
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Jul 8, 2004 2:34:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SailinTony

I don't know, I think Shur may know everything. Or something.

Burn eyes, burn.
Long-dormant Sailintony , Midnight.
Actively Carlbert, Emerald.
[Jul 8, 2004 2:34:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

SailinTony wrote: 
I don't know, I think Shur may know everything. Or something.

Burn eyes, burn.

Weren't you pillaging with us yesterday when I told everyone on board how to do it? =P
[Jul 8, 2004 2:36:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SailinTony

Wow, that was super quick. Anyways, I had to bail... I don't think so though.

You still amaze me. By the way, can you get any piece you like, or just the I's?
Long-dormant Sailintony , Midnight.
Actively Carlbert, Emerald.
[Jul 8, 2004 2:37:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 141   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates