• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5501 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Scubamatt

How is BNav scored? Reply to this Post

Ahoy!

I've been playing the Bnav puzzle for a few days now, and though I am doing OK (lost one fight by attacking the wrong Brigand, won all the rest) my rating has not improved from Able.

How is Bnav scored, and what can I do to increase my rank in it? The only thing I can think of is to fight harder Brigands/Barbarians, but I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I've read the Yppedia entries for Bnav but they do not explain how this puzzle is scored, or what to do to increase your rank in it.

Thanks for any information you can share with me!
----------------------------------------
Weregamer (Ramandu)
Puzzling, Pillaging and Playing on Hunter
[Mar 14, 2008 9:17:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Tirian_

Re: How is BNav scored? Reply to this Post

As you suspected, the most important factor is the rank of your opponents, with Imperial being the best. Your spawns will grow in rank as you continue to win, but it is reset when you port. Arguably, the number one mistake for greenies who bnav with the navy is that they travel in a straight line and fight one or two opponents in four league course. You want to get into the middle of your route and then turn around every time you are about to hit a league point, to make sure that you are getting five or more battles per bnav session.

To round out the list of improving your bnav score, the other factors are the relative damage that the two ships do, the color of the other ship's might ring, the type of the other ship, and the length of the battle. (I ranked these in descending order of importance, but that's just in my experience.) Keep in mind that your bnav score is determined by the ship-to-ship battle -- if you get grappled in the first round but win the swordfight, you haven't done yourself any favors.

Even if you do everything right, it takes a while. I'm sure someone will show up soon with a link to the post where an Ult created an alt to see how many nearly perfect battles it would take to level up, and even then it was quite a bit.
Tirian on Viridian
[Mar 14, 2008 10:32:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nalle5

It always takes a while before you move from Able - in any puzzle, but it will come, don't worry.

Even if you do everything right, it takes a while. I'm sure someone will show up soon with a link to the post where an Ult created an alt to see how many nearly perfect battles it would take to level up, and even then it was quite a bit.

I wish it was actually possible to be Ult bnav on Midnight... :-/
Angara
Midnight

This account is retired and PM's sent here will not be answered
I am now using my Angara account

[Mar 14, 2008 10:39:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

It always takes a while before you move from Able - in any puzzle, but it will come, don't worry.

I wish it was actually possible to be Ult bnav on Midnight... :-/

Didn't some bnavers got the ult trophy for bnav already ? or do ye mean like ult forever?
Nutella is so good :D.-Philippines/Jedoy
[Mar 14, 2008 4:45:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
maxdsterling

Will agree with it being a slow riser, I was well into Broad before it got above able for me. I'll admit I'm a poorer-than-average bnavver, though (Master), you may have some better luck.

Ironically, I would be soloing forever (map hunting), then come on a pillage to save a d/c-ed bnavver and my standing would go up, regardless of the outcome, just by getting on the "tougher" board for 2-3 moves.
Silverspoon
Retired Senior Officer of The Eternal Hydrae
Echidna's Children
[Mar 14, 2008 7:55:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nalle5

Nutella wrote: 
Didn't some bnavers got the ult trophy for bnav already ? or do ye mean like ult forever?

Aye, some got it when Atlantis was released and fewer people pillaged. Unfortunally I didn't have that much time to play back then, because of RL - and I missed the chance. >.<
Angara
Midnight

This account is retired and PM's sent here will not be answered
I am now using my Angara account

[Mar 15, 2008 3:06:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Senilemymain

It's weird I'm leg b nav atm, and a lot of my fights seem to end with max- 2 or max-5... I'm solid b nav btw
[Mar 15, 2008 4:19:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xqin

if you get grappled in the first round but win the swordfight, you haven't done yourself any favors.

it is not always true right? because last time the other ship grapped me, and my (personal)rank went up from respect to ulm,
( the oceanwide rank still is respect)
Dar on Emerald
[Mar 15, 2008 8:27:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

It might be enough to get you out of able-respected, but it will never get you to Ultimate. You need to score about max-1ish or better within 15 turns, every battle, basically. (Except on midnight, where ult is impossible :P)
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Mar 15, 2008 8:33:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
qwpzxjor1

if you get grappled in the first round but win the swordfight, you haven't done yourself any favors.

it is not always true right? because last time the other ship grapped me, and my (personal)rank went up from respect to ulm,
( the oceanwide rank still is respect)

In the lower rankings a quick battle can help up the ranking. Getting grappled on the first turn can be regarded as a large increase to lower rankings, just dont get walloped and then grappled without damaging them. When you get up to the Respected/Master area you want to start looking at damaging the brigand, and look at taking on tougher boats (Imperials).

Bnav, I believe is based on the following:

- Difficulty of opponent (fighting sailors will not increase your ranking much, you need to be fighting more difficult ships, preferably imperials)
- Damage to opponent. (the more the better)
- Damage to you. (the less the better)
- Time taken. (the less the better)

For the most part, concentrating on the first 2 are the essentials. Outcome of the fight (i dont think) has any relation to your bnav standing, other than a loss will affect the difficulty of your next spawn.
Whitewyvern wrote: 
For every American who mispells "Favour" and "Colour", there is a textspeak child abusing the letter U to balance things out.

[Mar 15, 2008 8:44:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
davsbrander

Nutella wrote: 

Aye, some got it when Atlantis was released and fewer people pillaged. Unfortunally I didn't have that much time to play back then, because of RL - and I missed the chance. >.<

**whistles and polishes his ult bnav trophy**
Davsbrander
[Mar 16, 2008 9:33:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scubamatt

Bnav, I believe is based on the following:

- Difficulty of opponent (fighting sailors will not increase your ranking much, you need to be fighting more difficult ships, preferably imperials)
- Damage to opponent. (the more the better)
- Damage to you. (the less the better)
- Time taken. (the less the better)

For the most part, concentrating on the first 2 are the essentials. Outcome of the fight (i dont think) has any relation to your bnav standing, other than a loss will affect the difficulty of your next spawn.

I think you are right. This morning I started out at Distinguished (thanks everyone for the tips!) and decided to tackle an Imperial brigand sloop. He conned orange to me before the fight.

When the Bnav map appeared, I was facing a line of giant rocks along my right and forward facing, leaving me only left turns to clear the area. The Imp sloop was 5 spaces away on the other side of a whirlpool. One turn later he had hit me with a cannonball and then grappled me - and my standing went down before the boarding action even started. Looking at the chat log, I got the standing loss message immediately after the 'Stupid Shark grapples Hapless Wrass' message. We beat the brigands in the SF (barely, hooray for my bot crew!) but my Bnav rating did not improve.

On my next fight (same ship, I chased them for a while, and I'm stubborn) I did max damage to them, then grappled, while taking only one cannonball from them. My Bnav standing went back up - even though I lost the SF match post grapple.

So it appears that the actual (post grapple) combat has little or no effect on the Bnav rating, but damage inflicted prior to the grapple does. The grapple is like the 'End of the Round' bell in a boxing match, once you grapple, it tallies your damage scored and checks the time then adjusts your standing.

My plan now is to avoid taking damage from the enemy (most important because I am not a good SF'er), while pounding them to max damage, then grapple afterwards. Hopefully before the 10 or 15 turn (not sure which) disengagement alert. I'm hunting yellow ships mostly, at this point.

If anyone else has anymore good advice for Bnavving, I'm all ears!
Weregamer (Ramandu)
Puzzling, Pillaging and Playing on Hunter
[Mar 19, 2008 8:30:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fabel

So it appears that the actual (post grapple) combat has little or no effect on the Bnav rating, but damage inflicted prior to the grapple does. The grapple is like the 'End of the Round' bell in a boxing match, once you grapple, it tallies your damage scored and checks the time then adjusts your standing.

That is correct, the Bnav score is calculated the moment the grapple occurs. The swordfight/rumble outcome has absolutley no bearing on the rank.

The only execption is that if you lose the fight your next spawn will be a lower ranked brigand which can effect your ranking.
-- Dib
[Mar 19, 2008 9:15:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    fabel23 [Link]  Go to top 
Drinks20

What about the ship that grapples?
If you grapple them before they can to you (you "end the round") will give you a better standing than if the opposing ship grapples you?
Meridian :D
@Drinks...
[Dec 28, 2011 5:26:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don't 'ave one lol!    don't 'ave one    nope    what the hell is ICQ? [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

What about the ship that grapples?
If you grapple them before they can to you (you "end the round") will give you a better standing than if the opposing ship grapples you?

The fact is that no one really knows. In other puzzles where you have a sparkly meter or at least a duty report with and you can compare competition scores. In bnav all you have is your rank and that depends on an unknown number of previous battles. The only way you could test this is to start off two alts and try to get the same scores in the same time against the same strength of enemy with one grappling and one getting grappled and see if one ranks up significantly before the other but there are two many other factors to make this possible.

The strength of the enemy and the amount you hit them have a larger enough effect on score for us to be certain they matter. It is not even certain that the amount you get hit and the time of the battle have an effect (though they are good for your jobbers)

If I was programming it the logic I would be based on the following facts:
If you choose to grapple you are obviously happy with the fight to take place now (unless you booched and meant to put a CB in the slot)
Once the bots are maxxed you can't do any more damage to them, other than to slow them down to make the grapple easier therefore you would be happy for a grapple at that point.

Therefore I would put a penalty for them grappling you if they are not maxxed but no penalty if they are. I don't know if that is the actual case though.

On a side note while the result of the sf does not directly affect your rank if you win a battle your next spawn will be harder (and higher scoring) so winning is goos for your bnav rank unless it is the last battle. For this reason when navving with the navy I recommend getting at least 3 battles in during the run.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Dec 29, 2011 2:15:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Webz3

Now when i was stuck on GM and getting rather frustrated with it, i broke downa dn sent an OM a petition.

The petition stated that B-nav was scored in two ways the damage you deal your opponent and the time in which you do it, there for i could get to GM with max- 0 and Max- Max. After i read this i started to worry less about teh damage i was reciving and just worried about maxing AND grapling as fast as i could. This seemed to work for me as i am a Led navver now and was very closee to ult before i started leaning away from pillaging <3

There were some other very good points in here but i never found that getting damaged effected your ranking, simply the SF/rumble and it's ease.
Junkonomics says, "yo aus"
Junkonomics says, "why ye dont go against obama ... Ye scare me in opal thread politics right now xD"

Ausausaus
Veritic on Ice
Retired (mostlly) [Psshh... Who am I kidding?]

Captain of "Ey
[Dec 30, 2011 9:34:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

An OceanMaster gave you a direct answer when questioned about game mechanics? I somewhat disbelieve you. What was the petition ID and who was the OM?
Senior officer, Dynamite Residue.
Governor emeritus of Amity Island.
[Dec 30, 2011 11:16:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Webz3

An OceanMaster gave you a direct answer when questioned about game mechanics? I somewhat disbelieve you. What was the petition ID and who was the OM?

You honestly expect me to remember these things from 10-11 months ago?
Junkonomics says, "yo aus"
Junkonomics says, "why ye dont go against obama ... Ye scare me in opal thread politics right now xD"

Ausausaus
Veritic on Ice
Retired (mostlly) [Psshh... Who am I kidding?]

Captain of "Ey
[Dec 30, 2011 6:17:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates