• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5159 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
Rengor

Some changes due to growth Reply to this Post

It's been quite an experience with the large influx of more pirates lately. Im happy to see it grow, but it's also shown some problems in the design.

As a Govenor I would like the ability to somewhat control where people start when they log on or walk off ships. Currently there's about a million on the docks and they all take their own lil circle so it's hard to make larger more social circles. And it's hard to walk across such areas too since you cant target most locations with a circle that cannot expand.
But I would like as a Govenor to point out some spots to start either on land or in buildings.

When we take out the brig with a shipfull of new pirates they tend to board our other ships that may be on a trade run or just out pillaging often ruining the balance of that ship.
I would like an option to lock a ship of new boardings to prevent this from happening. The lock should be released as soon as there are no more officers onboard.

The amount of ships in dock is increasing heavily. I would like to be able to tell where a ship is, if it's in dock, which dock it's in and who's on it. That makes it alot easier to jump back and forth between islands, see which ships are pillaging instead of sending the same messages all the time "anyone pillaging" or "can someone jump me to Guava" or accidently jumping on the wrong ships and needing a jump back again.

About half the questions I get in my shop is how the labor system works, why they shouldn't work on the tailor puzzle right now to speed up their order, and why it's taking so long. It would be nice to be able to write a little welcome text when people enter the shop to direct them to the "what's working" and to sign up for a job if im desperately in need etc.

I would like to keep our new NPPs around where players are instead of them hiding in the swamps and behind buildings. I reported it as a bug too.
----------------------------------------
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jul 23, 2003 6:01:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Re: Some changes due to growth Reply to this Post

Regnor wrote: 
As a Govenor I would like the ability to somewhat control where people start when they log on or walk off ships. Currently there's about a million on the docks and they all take their own lil circle so it's hard to make larger more social circles. And it's hard to walk across such areas too since you cant target most locations with a circle that cannot expand.
But I would like as a Govenor to point out some spots to start either on land or in buildings.

That's a good idea. I had a similar thought about allowing governors to create points of interest, but also making them starting points is even better.

Select a spot, tag it like the old scenes we had prior to the scrolling display (ie. "Well End", "Tournament Green", etc.) and allow people to jump there via the map.

And seeing as the docks are an absolute wreck right now, being able to also set those also as starting places would be perfect.

Starting off in shops might be a bit confusing, though, and possibly upsetting to people just there to drink or chat.
[Jul 23, 2003 6:42:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

starting points Reply to this Post

Ely wrote: 

Select a spot, tag it like the old scenes we had prior to the scrolling display (ie. "Well End", "Tournament Green", etc.) and allow people to jump there via the map.

Aye, I've often wished for this option on Guava. Also, I'd like to be able to jump to the skelly chests.

Ely wrote: 
Starting off in shops might be a bit confusing, though, and possibly upsetting to people just there to drink or chat.

Aye, except maybe for the Inn, which would give it a purpose in life as well. Starting in a building is nice because ye don't have to get into a chat circle in order to talk to others there.
[Jul 23, 2003 6:51:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Rengor wrote: 

Right on. Surely the Ringers have thought of this for a while, seein' as how Alpha has two docks!
[Jul 23, 2003 8:20:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bronchitis

Rengor wrote: 
I would like an option to lock a ship of new boardings to prevent this from happening. The lock should be released as soon as there are no more officers onboard.

I like the idea of locking ships, but I'd like to see, depending on the political structure, that the Captain never be locked from a ship in his/her own fleet.

Captain of the Mad Mutineers
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Aye, the captain should never be locked out.
I wouldn't mind if the same was the case for officers, since it's never been a problem for me, and any crews who has officers that would cause problems in these situations deserve what they get.
But I would prefer this to be like the suggested permision system: The officer who locks a ship gets to decide what ranks can enter (this could also give a more practical use for the alternative ranks).

Also I would like that when you post a job, that you can make a small describtion of it.
I don't mind taking players on traderuns, but since I'm entering dangerous waters, they MUST be better than swabbies.
I don't have the time to explain to whoever jumps aboard, that this is a traderun, profits will be low, no pillaging and please get to work asap - we're a sitting duck while you stand around on the deck asking questions!

That's the reason all my trading is done with an undercover alt in an one-pirate crew using swabbies. The other way of doing it is just too expensive in losses to brigands.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jul 23, 2003 5:55:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

There's a problem with people being able to log straight onto the ship - I've had someone log onto a ship by mistake when I'm doing a trade run, say "oops" and disappear when they realise their mistake; if a brigand intercepts before I manage to rehire, I'm probably going to lose a fair amount of money, being one swabbie/player down.

Trade runs: Thanas did 2 runs from Turtle to Winter and back to fetch sugar for Tipsys today. First run he made 1 poe after replacing the rum he used; second he made 67 (there were 20 stone for sale that time, and I think he used 1 less rum for some reason). I can't see ANY player - apart from an experienced trader who wants to help - puzzling for 44 leagues for a cut of that, and to run away in any battles. And even if a pirate was happy to work for the low pay, that would decrease the tiny profit even more for the officer doing the trip and risking the money.
[Jul 23, 2003 7:15:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

It sounds like you would need to buy the cane for more and mark up the price of the rum a bit. The economy is player run now, so the devs lowering cane prices would just be a forced fix. Supply and Demand should really take care of trade profits. In the end it should offer the least amount of profit that will attract just the right numbers to do it.

If pillage crews tote cargo while considering rum already paid for any how, it could drive traders out. But limited production causing serious traders to camp resources should swing it back to a happy middle ground.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jul 23, 2003 7:22:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Supply is definately too low with the added demand from all the new players - upping production and perhaps adding some more places to go (and making foraging worthwile again) should be high on the list.

Devs are aware that things aren't working. Cleaver is grandfathering the economy by adding commodities manually. Not good in the long run.

But prices are definately too low. It seems like some shopowners are happy relying on players supplying them for hardly any profit just to help out (or going out and getting their supplies themselves).
The shopowners on Alpha has just resigned and aren't even trying to compete.
If I didn't need brown cloth desperately all the time, I wouldn't be supplying hemp to Turtle at all at only 2 poe profit on each unit. As it is, I make my profits in the other end - but players without a shoppe don't have that opportunity.

Right now there's only three ways to make a profit trading.
1) Go pillaging and pick up what you can on the way (But plain pillaging between two league points to save on rum is more profitable, so why bother)

2) Camp. Very profitable and very boring. Camping is a sign that the design is of.

3) Be lucky in your timing (hard to plan a strategy around).

I know autocamping (and not autocampers, which is a completely different fish) is high on the List. But that will only eliminate the advantage those players with too much time on their hands (like me) have.
It will even more favour those that have lots of poe or belong to big crews.
The player, who just likes to do a bit of trading will still have a hard time.
[Jul 23, 2003 8:04:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
CrashCat

Har, if supply be less than demand, why be the prices so low? Sounds to me like ye shopkeeper is scammin' ya t' take advantage of bein' one o' the few shops in game. If ye only make a couple poe profit on a run, ye just feed that habit, 'less you got some kickback comin' to ye from the shopkeeper...

If there be so little sugar and so much pillagin', they otter be willin' t' pay ye some more dough t' actually stay in business. An' if they can't be bothered t' log in an' check their shop, the governor needs to smack 'em into shape!

But mebbe none of this be possible, jest seems a mite silly t' me...
a pirate is drinking lots and lots of rum
a pirate is just an oversized kid with an eye patch
a pirate is like being a fireman and a pyromaniac
a pirate is fun
a pirate is surely for me
-Googlism
[Jul 23, 2003 8:34:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

stevoid wrote: 
There's a problem with people being able to log straight onto the ship

Check. I'd prefer to always arrive at my home island. Once there, I can see who's on my Crew, talk to them, figure out which ship is where, and then jump aboard via my home island's Docks.
[Jul 23, 2003 9:01:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

akebia wrote: 
stevoid wrote: 
There's a problem with people being able to log straight onto the ship

Check. I'd prefer to always arrive at my home island. Once there, I can see who's on my Crew, talk to them, figure out which ship is where, and then jump aboard via my home island's Docks.

Back on topic ;-)

Jumping directly onboard ships is very useful and it would be bothersome, if ye couldn't do it at all.
Giving officers a tool to restrict who (apart from the cap'n) can do it and when it can happen is still the best solution imho.
[Jul 23, 2003 9:17:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
garf

with the economy, i have to break a lance - or rather a cleaver? - fer the ringers. it has not been a week since the player numbers exploded, and things like balancing the economy in terms of adjusting cash inflow and resources inflow is a very difficult thing that needs lots of small adjustments, watching what happens, readjusting and so on, and it can only work fer the numbers ye actually have.

when population doubles, it surely wont be enough to simply double the resource inflow, for example.

and the ringers have as few experience with that as anyone else. considering that player numbers grow even more and balancing would have to be redone anyway until the final numbers fer players per server are reached, i find it fully understandable they dont waste time to balance this perfectly right now when they would have to do the whole work again once population got significiantly larger.

so fer the time until the first full server is reached, i feel its totally fine if they "cheat" and manually adjust the economy.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 23, 2003 11:41:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Garf.
it's not a complaint everytime we point out something that needs to be improved. I'd say, that's the whole reason we're here.
While I'm sure Cleaver et al enjoy the 'doing a great and difficult job' pats on the back, they don't really help improve the game before release - which is the entire point of the money spent on running test servers and whatnot.

And I agree, they need to see what the influx of the teeming millions does to the economy before 'fixing' it - that's why we give our observations in these forums.

--------
And in case there's any doubt: I think the Ringers are doing a fine job. I really like YPP and have never put so much time and effort into a mmog before.
[Jul 24, 2003 12:06:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
garf

aye, hanzii, and i wasnt taking it as a complaint. i was merely saying i dont see this going high on the list as it can only be finalised in a later state of the beta.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 24, 2003 12:30:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

I think the log directly onto a ship function does need a little tweaking. The only reason I don't use it more is because I dcan't tell who's on the ship, what they're doing (pillaging/trading/lazing) or where they are. I suppose it wouldn't kill me do go directly onto a ship, as it's my crew and I can always get whisked to my island, but maybe there could be a sort of little info window on the side-- a sort of "pre-/who" thing that lets you know who is on the ship. Frankly, there are people I much prefer to sail with, and people I would rather not. Just a thought.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jul 24, 2003 12:50:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Well, and a ship with one person on it is very likely trading, with swabbies aboard, and boarding will dismiss them. Wading through /who is a pain, just to see whether I should actually be boarding the ships shown upon login.
[Jul 24, 2003 1:05:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Hanzii wrote: 

But prices are definately too low. It seems like some shopowners are happy relying on players supplying them for hardly any profit just to help out (or going out and getting their supplies themselves).
The shopowners on Alpha has just resigned and aren't even trying to compete.

I HAVE raised my prices at the tailor, but as I'm at the end of a chain of shoppes, I don't know that this really encourages most traders (though several of me crew are working tirelessly trying to supply me). Especially as if ye don't run a shoppe, ye might not know what the necessary commodites are or where to get them. Note to all, ye can make a profit of 5 per unit of cloth (since ye order in lots of 10 units, this is 50 per order ye deliver to me) at the tailor on Alpha.

The problem is, I'm supplied by the weavery, which is supplied by many (spread out) markets and the apothecary. They're also short on commodities at this point, and I know Vixen has been chasing hemp, as has my crew, but there just isn't enough. Minerals and herbs have to come from far away (and some are only available by foraging, which is almost totally useless - ye think campin' for goods is lame, consider campin' for foraging!).

I AM close to just giving up; it's too much work and no fun what with sailing all around looking for a few units of hemp, only to get it to the weaver and have it yanked from under me in the few seconds between my selling it and my getting to the weaver to order me cloth.
[Jul 24, 2003 1:40:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Penndalla wrote: 
It sounds like you would need to buy the cane for more and mark up the price of the rum a bit. The economy is player run now, so the devs lowering cane prices would just be a forced fix. Supply and Demand should really take care of trade profits. In the end it should offer the least amount of profit that will attract just the right numbers to do it.

If pillage crews tote cargo while considering rum already paid for any how, it could drive traders out. But limited production causing serious traders to camp resources should swing it back to a happy middle ground.

It's not that sugar is particularly scarce; just that people aren't transporting it at the moment - Turtle is 11 leagues from Winter (one way) and I am getting through about 1400 a day that I and my crew are shipping...you can see the problem! And I've raised my buy prices again.

Not everyone is interested in trading, that's understandable. But I'd prefer not to raise the sell prices if I don't absolutely have to; there are a lot of people using a lot of rum at the moment doing sterling work taking new players out pillaging, and the fuller the ship, the more they are using. And there are a few newer crews having to pool their resources to place an order for rum as it is.

But that wasn't a sugar or trading grumble, honest - it was intended as an illustration of why people prefer to trade alone with swabbies so that they can do a quick no-battle run (hopefully!), rather than job someone to work for practically nothing and reduce their profits more.

BTW, Cleaver is looking at gearing production to inhabitants so that the Ringers won't have to do manual tweaks all the time; but this won't happen overnight.
[Jul 24, 2003 2:42:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Hanzii, would you rather we increased the Buy for Hemp on Turtle, and then charged you more for your brown cloth, either increasing your prices or decreasing your profit margin (or both)? Talk to Thusnelda or me in the game if that's what you'd rather. Saynata should also be brought into the conversation.

For those of you who aren't shopkeepers, the profit Hanzii speaks of is 2/unit of hemp for the trader, and the shoppe holds around 300. If he brought a full shop's worth of hemp in, he would gross 600 PoE, not to mention his own markup on the brown cloth when incorporated into the ships he sells.
[Jul 24, 2003 2:42:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Production Reply to this Post

I agree that the current commodities situation is ridiculous and I am indeed taking some manual steps to relieve the tight spots. As alluded to above, we are considering (thanks Hethor for the doh! moment) somehow ensuring that production levels are geared automagically to consumption, but it's a non-trivial problem. Another thing that we can do on the spot is add markets to islands, as we've done on Oyster and Uxmal. We are adding the pearl archipelago in the next release and could probably add some markets out there.

The mooted auto-camping (actually it will be a auto-bid system at markets) will come, but probably not for a while. So I don't want people having to camp in the mean time. I hates camping.

One thing I will note is that some of the prices on player-operated markets are not really viable, and that some managers have not set their production levels of in-demand commodities to 100%. I will be contacting people directly, but I think in these crazy times we should be cranking the production up full and selling raw materials cheap. I will be contacting some of these managers directly.

The trading issues are a subject for another debate. The problem comes down the margin on goods vs. the cost of rum.
[Jul 24, 2003 3:46:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Hom, as I was saying: It's not a problem for me, because I make my profit in the other end.
Unless Cleaver's just been on Papaya, there's no way in hell youre ever going to bring in 300 units as you so flippantly say.
A few hours of mindless camping will fill the hold of a small sloop (a whopping 80 units) giving you 160 poe, the trip will cost you at least 3 units of rum at 42 poe leaving you with a total profit of 34 poe.
Jobbing for the navy and booching every league pays better.

In a balanced economy I envisage a shopowner being able to do nothing *while traders make a profit selling the weavery hemp, the weaver makes a profit selling the shipyard brown cloth and the shipyard in turn makes a profit selling bigger and bigger ships to the trader (and other players).
Of course in this system the shipyard would make and even greater profit if the owner go gets the hemp himself and orders his brown cloth right away. But he doesn't have to.
As it is now, I only have brown cloth when I camp the hemp myself.
So yes, I believe your prices are too low (but I'm making a fortune because of it).

And to Vixen and the rest of the hardpressed traders on Alpha:
My shoppe doesn't need any dyes (yet) and only needs one commodity made by another shoppe (brown cloth) the rest is raw commodities - the only problem in running the shipyard, is that it needs loads.
I realize that your problems (unless you stick to making brown clothes) are far greater. I apologize.
I've been trading 95% of my time in this game since the shoppes were opened - and since foraging was 'fixed' I haven't bothered with minerals or herbs.
I agree that this needs a fix (without goiing back to the ridiculous old days of whiz-foraging).

homullus wrote: 
Saynata should also be brought into the conversation.

No she shouldn't. In a functioning economy she and I should be competing for your cloth, not pricefixing ;-)

*[size=9]Apart from keeping a watchful eye on competition and setting competitive pricing.
[Jul 24, 2003 3:56:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I disagree . . . in a functioning economy, the weaver would want to set the highest possible price that still retained the business of both you and Saynata. Setting it higher and creating either/or competition is short-sighted for the weaver, as I've said elsewhere.

In a functioning economy, low-price goods are shipped in bulk to offset transportation costs, a function not available to the otherwise-desirable small sloop. You have the option of going solo in the large sloop, or getting help on an even bigger ship. As the shopkeeper, you even have the option of setting your pricing to account for rum costs incurred during shipping.

We'll raise the Buy on hemp tonight to see if it inspires other people to sell it to us.
[Jul 24, 2003 4:19:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Jethro

Would it be possible to give people the option of placing orders the shoppe doesn't have the material for?

For example, say I want a blue hat, but the tailor is out of blue fabric. When I press "Get Quote" instead of saying "out of blue fabric" and doing nothing, it gives the warning, gives a price quote based on the cost, and gives an estimated time of unknown. If it takes too long for the item to move into the production queue, the buyer can cancel the transaction and get their money back. If costs go up then the buyer can either match the new price or decline. If he declines to match the price then the item can just go on the rack.
Jethro - Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
Jethykins - Cook of the Salty Mouthfuls and certainly not Jethro in drag. Oh no. Not at all. Nope.
[Jul 24, 2003 4:53:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JGulner [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Not a good idea Jethro.
First of all it could create massive backlog - especially in a shoppe like the clothes stores with relatively low cost and very popular items.
Not to mention the kind of funding the shoppe would need, if it had to at all times keep cash at hand to repay those that change their mind.
... and if you really dream about owning a black captains jacket, you can go out constantly pillaging till you have enough Kraken's Blood, then sell it to a weavery and order some fine black cloth - this you sell to the clothes shoppe and THEN you order your jacket.
With your system you'd just loose it somewhere in this chain because someone else had an order pending.

and Hom, we were discussing current prices, not those we'll have once the economy finds its balance. In principle you're right, but as it is now, there is no bulk. So you can't just use a bigger ship to make the trip profitable - filling a large sloop with hemp would take 24 hours of camping.
(but wait a little with changing the prices, Cleaver dumped 1000 hemp on Papaya 40 minutes ago, so right now your theory is right)
[Jul 24, 2003 5:18:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Aralyn

Being able to lock a ship from any more boarding would be very very good. I have so much trouble trying to trade and people constantly coming onboard and not listening or understanding when I tell them that I am not pillaging and need no extras on. When enough do it before I get up to speed, then the swabbie sailors leave, etc, and by the time I get them off, I have lost the majority of the speed I had gained. As the population increases more and more, the problem is going to grow with it.

Ashlyn
[Jul 24, 2003 7:43:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Could the moderators split this post in an economy part and a non-economy part please?

I am VERY pleased to hear that there's consideration for a production based on consumption. I've had several of those discussions with Hethor in the past, and while not an easy thing to do it's in my mind necessary.

I was thinking the consumption be based on what is used in a production process. So any raw material that goes into making dyes, cloth, clothes, swords, rum, cannonballs and ships is measured and harvesting is then based on that. Adjustments should proably be done over say a week or several days so that all up and down periods are taken into consideration and there's less room for abusing such a system to force more harvesting.

Manually adjusting the economy is definitely not the answer, and a non stop boring task for the devs. Not to mention extremely hard to confirm, is this guy just complaining because he's lazy or don't have a clue or is his arguments reasonable.

The situation in Diamond might be bad, but it's nothing compared to what the situation in Emerald is about to become. Emerald is not geared to have 5 colonized islands, 2 islands is probably ok. As more shops open up there will be more competition for the already pretty small amounts of commodities available (those that actually are available).
We will need some solution here really really soon. The harvesting based on consumption is one solution. A less popular solution is moving some of those colonies to Pearl or other archipelagos.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jul 24, 2003 8:56:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Rengor wrote: 
The situation in Diamond might be bad, but it's nothing compared to what the situation in Emerald is about to become. Emerald is not geared to have 5 colonized islands, 2 islands is probably ok. As more shops open up there will be more competition for the already pretty small amounts of commodities available (those that actually are available).

This will probably be a huge problem in general. Because it's possible, everyone will want to own an island, whether or not they understand about the economy or pillaging or land. Someone's going to run a laden boat onto a lovely forest and clearcut it. Someone's going to run a laden boat onto an island only big enough for a palace and set up a palace. Someone's going to want an inn so badly that they'll block the only road in town on an island when they build it.

This goes beyond making the Lorax cry and beyond making a silly pirate lose hundreds of thousands of poe on stupid buildings. This alters the beautiful scenery, and, more importantly, it cuts down on the amount of raw goods that we can expect to find anywhere.

A smart governor can keep an island from being destroyed. Who keeps a rich ship from running ashore (or a strong ship conquering the shore) and declaring an idiot governor?
[Jul 24, 2003 9:22:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

This was longer before I decided it was off-topic. Reply to this Post

akebia wrote: 
A smart governor can keep an island from being destroyed. Who keeps a rich ship from running ashore (or a strong ship conquering the shore) and declaring an idiot governor?

You can't. Same as any other economy or politic.

That might not sound quite the way I intend it. I'm speaking of the fact that if indeed there is an idiot governor the players who wanted him ousted would come to the more powerful players/crews/flags and ask for assistance in removing him. Vive la revolucion!

Even an idiot King can be reduced to irrelevancy if his entire flag defects to a better government. If he happens to own an island I am certain that (given the stated additions to Flag War) he will not own it for long. Then you'll have better management when you take over.

akebia wrote: 
Someone's going to want an inn so badly that they'll block the only road in town on an island when they build it.

Is this directed at me? <grin>
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 24, 2003 9:41:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

We really need to be able to demolish buildings and return the previous resources. Are the resources there when you demolish a building, devs?
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jul 24, 2003 3:54:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates