• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 41
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8370 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
melissab

SOTG 08 March Madness: March Madness Bracket Challenge!!

Its that time of the year that college basketball fans wait for - MARCH MADNESS! In celebration of this fine time - how about a challenge to see who can pick the most winners and predict the NCAA championship! Here is your chance at winning various prizes both in-game & RL (US only) PLUS bragging rights!

Here's How It Works:
*Register an account
*Join the group
*Fill out your bracket
*Compete for top score
*Win awesome prizes

Registering & Joining The Group:
*Go to ESPN Tournament Challenge 08 and register an account.
*For easy navigation and registering go Join Tournament Challenge Now.
    Step 1: Member Name and Password
    *Please use your pirate name as your member name.
    *Your password should be private and something easy for you to remember.
    *Please enter your correct date of birth.
    Step 2: Member Information
    *Please enter your correct information is all fields.
    Step 3, 4, 5: Random Stuff
    *You may uncheck all boxes if you wish.
    Submit Registration
*Make sure you use a valid email address. This is not for my use. There are real life prizes you can win and the valid email address is for that use.
*After you've submitted your registration - click 'Create an Entry'.
*Create a name for your entry by typing in your pirate name in the 'Name Your Entry' box. Submit Entry Settings.
*Click 'My Groups+' -> 'Create or Join a Group'.
*In the search field, enter ' Puzzle Pirates'.
*The group password is 'sotg'.
*Join this group!
*If your bracket name is anything other than your pirate name follow these easy steps.
-*Click on My Bracket -> Edit Entry Settings -> Type in pirate name -> Submit
*Please be advised that the bracket owner name will display your first name initial and last name. I've tried to change the privacy settings so that doesn't show but that doesn't work.

Filling Out Your Bracket:
After the tournament field is determined on Sunday, March 16, you can start making your picks on the bracket page 1 hour after the field is finalized.

Go to the 'My Bracket' page and click on the name of the team that you think will win each game match-up. The team name will then move to the next round. Keep picking games until all of the boxes in all of the regions have names in them. You will then need to supply your guesses for the tiebreaker scores. When all of your picks are made and the tiebreaker scores are entered, you must click 'Save Bracket' in order to save your selections. You can change your selection by simply clicking on the other team in the match-up and continue filling out the bracket. Make sure you SAVE your bracket every time you make a change. You can make picks or change your selections as many times as you'd like up until 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start of the first game of the tournament on Sunday, March 20, 2008

How You Score:
This is a point scoring challenge. You are awarded points for each correct win, with points accruing each round. The further you go, the more points you score. The more points you accumulate, the higher you go on the leaderboard. Top score wins!
Point Scale wrote: 
Round 1 - 10 points per pick
Round 2 - 20 points per pick
Round 3 - 40 points per pick
Round 4 - 80 points per pick
Round 5 - 120 points per pick
Round 6 - 160 points per pick

In the event of a tie, your entry for the tie breaker will be used to determine the winner. The points awarded are generated automatically from ESPN's bracket management.

Rules on Tiebreakers wrote: 

Ties. Entrants may but are not required to submit answers to one (1) tiebreaker question to be used for tiebreaking purposes only. The question is "What will the final score of the championship game be?" If no answer to a tiebreaker question is submitted for an entry, it is given a default prediction of zero (0). It is possible for a default prediction to break a tie. How are the ties broken? The pool of tied entrants is reduced until only one (1) potential winner remains by applying the rules below in the order listed. However, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, elect not to break a tie and instead to award the 1st Place Prize to one eligible winners (or to all eligible winners then remaining after applying one [1] or more tiebreaker rules). In all cases, an entry that does not win a tiebreaker is eliminated from consideration for the 1st Place Prize:

Tiebreaker #1 - The predicted score of the championship game is compared to the score of the championship game. The differences between the predicted scores and actual scores are calculated and added. The entry with the smallest total difference is considered the winning entry.

If more than one entry has the smallest total difference, those entries go on to the next tiebreaker:

Tiebreaker #2 - Number of points scored in Round 6.
Tiebreaker #3 - Number of points scored in Round 5.
Tiebreaker #4 - Number of points scored in Round 4.
Tiebreaker #5 - Number of points scored in Round 3.
Tiebreaker #6 - Number of points scored in Round 2.
Tiebreaker #7 - Number of points scored in Round 1.

In all cases, an entry that does not win a tiebreaker is eliminated from consideration for the 1st Place Prize.

In-Game Prizes:
First Place: 1 month sub gifted to the pirate of your choice, 1 War Brig, A Gold First Place Medal inscribed "1st Place - SOTG 08 March Madness Bracket Challenge' and an Atlantean Totem Trinket.
Second Place: 1 month sub gifted to the pirate of your choice, 1 Cutter, A Silver Second Place Medal inscribed "2nd Place - SOTG 08 March Madness Bracket Challenge' and a Red Knobby Coral Trinket.
Third Place: 1 month sub gifted to the pirate of your choice, 1 Sloop, A Bronze Third Place Medal inscribed "3rd Place - SOTG 08 March Madness Bracket Challenge' and a Lump of Coal trinket.

These prizes are definite. Additional prizes/poe may be added before the end of the tournament. Donations are being accepted. To donate, please contact me in game or send a PM.

ALSO - if you place in the top 2 of the global leaderboard you will win:(this is why registering a valid email address is important)

For complete list of rules for the prizes/scoring/eligibility/how to play, please refer to the Official Rules.

Onelove's Rules:
*You may only register 1 pirate. DO NOT register your alts. This is a fun event. Please refrain from sabotaging it.
*All participants MUST have an active pirate on the Midnight Ocean. I will verify each participant.
*You are only allowed 1 bracket in the group. You may, however, play up to 10 brackets per person. So for more chances to win one of the real life prizes pictured above, you can join other groups or create other brackets outside the Puzzle Pirates group.
*You will NOT be allowed to swap brackets in and out of the group.
*You must have a bracket in the group to be eligible to win the in-game prizes.
*This is a head to head challenge - so trash talk. You will notice a message board in the group.. USE IT!
*Filling out your bracket is easy, its a simple click! Everyone should join, even if you aren't familiar with College Basketball.
*HAVE FUN!
*And most important - I am not eligible. I will disregard my point value should I place in the top 3 and award the pirate below me the prize. But do expect me to trash talk!

Good Luck ... Bring It On!

Please check back here for updates on prizes and answers to questions.

By the way - UCLA is going all the way!

Edits:
----------------------------------------
Onelove
Please support Boarding for Breast Cancer.
[Mar 7, 2008 11:37:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tarajayne

Re: SOTG 08 March Madness: March Madness Bracket Challenge!!

You are all going down!! Oh wups I am starting my trash talk early...

Actually I tend to pick the teams with the best names since I normally don't know who most of them are. And I haven't followed basketball in a few years :D
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Mar 7, 2008 2:52:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tarajayne

I put Pirate as my last name once I saw that it showed it. I see no one else has registered yet so hopefully this bump will help.
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Mar 10, 2008 2:31:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
melissab

I put Pirate as my last name once I saw that it showed it. I see no one else has registered yet so hopefully this bump will help.

Nobody really entered the other events either so I'm not expecting anyone but our flag to enter.
Onelove
[Mar 11, 2008 1:12:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
melissab

Deadline to enter is in 3 days. I understand the directions above may seem like a lot of work, but honestly it's not. It's super easy and fast. Those who played in my first bracket challenge a few years ago know how simple it is and a lot of fun. Even if you're not a college basketball fan, you should still enter for the sheer entertainment of it all.

I hope more join to make it competitive at least.
Onelove
[Mar 12, 2008 10:04:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

help v.v...

it kept on saying..
Some errors were encountered while processing your submission.

* Invalid Mobile Number, please re-enter.

i didn't want to put my phone number because it doesnt have the * on it.. and when i did put it.. it still said it >.>

okay nm.. i registered in ESPN.com sportsnation and it's almost the same thing.. (it gave me a heart attack though)

Go go Kentucky WildCats!
Nutella is so good :D.-Philippines/Jedoy
[Edit 2 times, last edit by archer_jed at Mar 13, 2008 7:43:55 PM]
[Mar 13, 2008 7:11:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
tarajayne

Yeah OL your directions made it very easy to register :)

And um, I am sure I didnt have to put in any phone number.

Dean will be getting in there too he just hasnt had the time to do it yet.
Bridalgirl

I get around.
[Mar 14, 2008 11:27:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
melissab

Brackets were announced and you may begin to fill out your bracket.

ESPN Instructions wrote: 
When filling out the bracket, click or drag the name as far as you think they will advance. Once the region is complete you will be prompted to proceed to the next region. Upon completion of all regions, you will be prompted to fill out the Final Four bracket. Once the bracket is complete, and you have entered in a tiebreaker score (the number of points scored for each team in the championship game), a black Submit button will appear.

*****Remember to fill in the score for the tiebreaker on the final four page.*****

Registration and Bracket Completion ENDS Thursday March 20, 30 minutes before the start of the first game in Round 1. GET REGISTERED! Please note the bolded time for the first game in the schedule below so you know the deadline for your timezone (11:50am ET/8:50am PT). Best to be safe than sorry and have your brackets filled out and saved at least an hour or more before the first game, in case of any schedule changes.

Round 1 Day 1 Schedule wrote: 
12:20 PM ET No. 14 Georgia at No. 3 Xavier
12:25 PM ET No. 16 Portland State at No. 1 Kansas
12:30 PM ET No. 12 Temple at No. 5 Michigan State
2:30 PM ET No. 11 Kentucky at No. 6 Marquette
2:50 PM ET No. 11 Baylor at No. 6 Purdue
2:55 PM ET No. 9 Kent State at No. 8 UNLV
3:00 PM ET No. 13 Oral Roberts at No. 4 Pittsburgh
5:00 PM ET No. 14 Cornell at No. 3 Stanford
7:10 PM ET No. 11 Kansas State at No. 6 USC
7:10 PM ET No. 15 Belmont at No. 2 Duke
7:20 PM ET No. 13 Winthrop at No. 4 Washington State
7:25 PM ET No. 9 Texas A&M at No. 8 Brigham Young
9:40 PM ET No. 14 Cal State Fullerton at No. 3 Wisconsin
9:40 PM ET No. 10 Arizona at No. 7 West Virginia
9:50 PM ET No. 12 George Mason at No. 5 Notre Dame
9:55 PM ET No. 16 Mississippi Valley State at No. 1 UCLA

I will immediately update this thread if there are any changes to the schedule.

Please note, prizes for 1st-3rd places will be updated with added prizes later tonight. I am also adding 4th-10th prizes, and other various prizes for certain games/rounds during the tournament.

For a printable bracket to play with click on the format you prefer. (These brackets are for personal use and not to be entered in this challenge. To enter this event, please follow the instructions in the OP)
PDF Format or GIF Format
Onelove
[Mar 17, 2008 9:03:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrSurgar

I joined as MLE of Midnight....I don't know much of basketball but i hope to win a wonderful prize
Mle of the ocean Midnight
Daub of the ocean Meridian
[Mar 18, 2008 11:09:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dinty

I'm in. I took second last time; this time I (and my beloved Tar Heels) plan to win it all.
Dinty
Visit Cronk's Ironworking Stall on Oyster! We have the roundest balls in all of Midnight.
[Mar 19, 2008 11:01:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
melissab

9 minutes to register and pick your brackets!

Good luck all!
Onelove
[Mar 20, 2008 8:41:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrSurgar

The Games have BEGUN
[Mar 20, 2008 2:15:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Parrrdner

I just wanted to point out that a lot of y'all picked USC over Kansas State.

Haha.

*high-fives Deanyu*
Pardner; Riot Forever
[but not around :/ these days ]
[Mar 20, 2008 7:37:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

i just chose the one that has better ratings over another.. even though i don't even know those teams..like.. BYU.. what does that mean??

but sadly.. team KY wildcats lost today v.v... wah..but i did get points fer putting them as the losing team.
[Mar 20, 2008 7:41:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

i just chose the one that has better ratings over another.. even though i don't even know those teams..like.. BYU.. what does that mean

Burn Your Underwear?
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Mar 20, 2008 9:33:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrSurgar

Burn Your Underwear?

Brighim Young Univ.

I forgot my username and password so would ya'll care to keep me updated on the status of Mle?
[Mar 20, 2008 10:30:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
archer_jed

i just chose the one that has better ratings over another.. even though i don't even know those teams..like.. BYU.. what does that mean

Burn Your Underwear?

lol...
[Mar 21, 2008 3:53:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    archer_jed [Link]  Go to top 
Parrrdner

after 16 games
[tied for 2nd] MLE of Midnight, 14/16 (91.9 %)
Pardner; Riot Forever
[Mar 21, 2008 5:24:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
melissab

Day 1 Round 1 Results

Pardner picked all of day 1 game winners correctly. Way to go! You win 1k.

UCLA won their matchup 70-29. 29? ROFL!

Day 2 Round 1 Schedule wrote: 
12:15 PM ET No. 15 American University at No. 2 Tennessee
12:25 PM ET No. 10 Davidson at No. 7 Gonzaga
12:30 PM ET No. 10 Saint Mary's at No. 7 Miami (FL)
12:30 PM ET No. 12 Western Kentucky at No. 5 Drake
2:45 PM ET No. 10 South Alabama at No. 7 Butler
2:55 PM ET No. 15 UMBC at No. 2 Georgetown
3:00 PM ET No. 15 Austin Peay at No. 2 Texas
3:00 PM ET No. 13 San Diego at No. 4 Connecticut
7:10 PM ET No. 16 Mount St. Mary's at No. 1 North Carolina
7:10 PM ET No. 11 Saint Joseph's at No. 6 Oklahoma
7:20 PM ET No. 13 Siena at No. 4 Vanderbilt
7:25 PM ET No. 9 Oregon at No. 8 Mississippi State
9:40 PM ET No. 9 Arkansas at No. 8 Indiana
9:40 PM ET No. 14 Boise State at No. 3 Louisville
9:50 PM ET No. 12 Villanova at No. 5 Clemson
9:55 PM ET No. 16 Texas-Arlington at No. 1 Memphis

Onelove
[Mar 21, 2008 8:53:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrSurgar

Pardner congrats =) and thank you for keeping me updated =)
[Mar 22, 2008 5:01:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Parrrdner

I had Duke beating UCLA... :(

Now it's up to Wisconsin and Tennessee for me!
Pardner; Riot Forever
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Parrrdner at Mar 23, 2008 6:14:55 AM]
[Mar 23, 2008 6:12:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

I had Duke beating UCLA... :(

You weren't the only one. >8)
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Mar 23, 2008 7:43:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrSurgar

Could anyone please update me on Mle please?
[Mar 23, 2008 12:45:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
harrjm

Onelove has not been able to log in to update the scores for the bracket challenge, due to real life issues. Please be patient and she will get around to posting the updates.
Captain of Gods of War
King of Tyranny (well not right now)
Blockade madman
[Mar 23, 2008 1:20:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Parrrdner

Here's an update, with the sweet 16 decided. I only have 10 of the correct 16...

Pardner; Riot Forever
[Mar 23, 2008 7:55:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Parrrdner

Also, does anyone know what that PPR column is? Or even what it stands for?
Pardner; Riot Forever
[Mar 23, 2008 7:58:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Catman847

my assumption is Points Per Round, but it's (obviously) a guess
Jifbesjagf on Midnight

-----
Voidrix says, "Remember good teaming is like good love making, solos are dull, couples are more fun, but threesums make the world go round"
-----
[Mar 23, 2008 8:16:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Capn_slimp

I think thats "Points Possible Remaining" also just a guess though. :D
-Dog- Midnight
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Capn_slimp at Mar 24, 2008 12:55:11 AM]
[Mar 24, 2008 12:49:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

Pants Pants Revolution, obviously.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets. Now with occasional logging-in for purely social purposes.
Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Mar 24, 2008 6:33:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrSurgar

[quote][quote]Also, does anyone know what that PPR column is? Or even what it stands for?[/quote]
It is Possible Points Remaining =) and I'm holding well I suppose but I would love to win and congratulations again Pardner
[Mar 24, 2008 5:43:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates