• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1281 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
nunny_45

Underlineing/bolding ypp writing Reply to this Post

There needs to be a way to underline or bold text ingame (in chat not news/bulliton ect). Its extreamly annoying saying something like in advertising and people missing Key words in the text. An example of this is "selling a atlantian broken trident tine trinket"
people Tend to overlook the Trinket part and think its a weopon or furniture ect. Of cource there are downsides to such a thing as spamming but the positives outweigh the negatives.
----------------------------------------
Nunny
[Edit 1 times, last edit by nunny_45 at Feb 27, 2008 1:44:53 AM]
[Feb 27, 2008 1:44:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Re: Underlineing/bolding ypp writing Reply to this Post

Personaly, I'd rather not have to put up with this.

The hearts, stars, blocks and other assorted symbols already supported are bad enough, in my opinion.
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Feb 27, 2008 4:29:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
lesleywalker

Learn to phrase your advertisements in such a way that people will get the important bits first. And use capitals and punctuation - they're not just there to decorate your keyboard.

Which of these is easier to read and gets the message across clearly?

a) "selling a atlantian broken trident tine trinket"
b) "selling an Atlantis trinket - broken trident tine"

Edit: spelling
Rumbletum - FO, Crimson Sabers, Colbalt
Cheery - Alchemist, Ankh-Morpork City Watch, Cobalt
Jinxed Idol links
[Edit 2 times, last edit by lesleywalker at Feb 27, 2008 4:57:58 AM]
[Feb 27, 2008 4:53:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

I use every avaible technique other then symbols (i can never figure out how to get them) and still have large groups ask what it is and other assortment of questions that are found in the sentence. Also seen this problem in atlantis were no matter how much things are said jobbers still manage to miss key words.

To solve the problem of underlineing each letter then make it only avaible for a full word.
Nunny
[Feb 27, 2008 5:20:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Alternatively
Don't spam where doofii hang out.
Basically, don't spam.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Feb 27, 2008 10:32:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Lotsofgoats

I think that implementing this idea would be TERRIBLE.

Ha.
I am Lotsofgoats and I approve this message.
[Feb 27, 2008 10:35:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

I do love text alteration, because misunderstandings often arise in online chats due to inability to emphasize words or express tone. How many times have you said to yourself "how exactly did he mean that comment?" I get tired of putting lol at the end of everything to express my sarcasm. In instant messaging programs, I use italics all the time. I don't think it's a good idea here though, where lots of conversations aren't 1 on 1 and so it's easier to get someone in your /crew, /fo or inn chat who just cannot stop using them and annoys the hell out of you.

I use my own in-game italics and underline, just to be able to express myself better. It's quite simple, and most friends I have now understand what I mean when I do it. And it's not as annoying as bolded text would be, because it's not something that's really readable or fun if misused.

Simply:

/Italics/
_underline_

My god I am /so/ tired today.
Now boarding for Atlantis folks. Send _PirateA_ a tell to join.

I don't think a lot of people are going to go around saying:
/red/ /red/ /poniard/ for _sale_! Only ___10000____!

Just my 2 poe :)
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Feb 28, 2008 7:15:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
makingpoe

not to be a fanatic or anything, but "/red/ /red/ /poniard/" Seems a bit much, wouldn't "/red red poniard/" be easier?

Also, just like the new chat shortcuts that have been implemented, give someone the ability to do something, and they'll abuse it

F1F2F1F2F1F2F1F2F1F2F1F2F1F2F1F2

Edit : Ugh, mind the bump (damn you faulkston, and damn me for reading the locker)
AzureBlue
PTG wrote: 
I always wondered what would happen if nobody got any questions right.
Sorry, kids, you're all too dumb. No prizes for anybody, and Carmen Sandiego's drinking pina coladas with Castro. Way to go, retards.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Faulkston at Mar 18, 2008 6:20:20 PM]
[Mar 18, 2008 11:51:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AzureMourning [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

not to be a fanatic or anything, but "/red/ /red/ /poniard/" Seems a bit much, wouldn't "/red red poniard/" be easier?

heh my point was that people would be unlikely to misuse my system by italicizing or underlining every word :) It would be less intrusive, because people /would/ probably just say /red red poniard/ instead of red red poniard ...which I could totally see people doing just to be annoying. Really it was just a suggestion to the poster of an alternative.
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Mar 18, 2008 6:20:43 PM]
[Mar 18, 2008 5:01:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates