• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1974 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
mads0001

Mute lists stored server side. Reply to this Post

I have the dubious pleasure of playing a fair bit away from home, so I tend to log in a lot on any number of computers, or just playing without downloading the client to a machine.

The end result though sadly, is that people I keep muting never seem to stay muted... I assume therefore that the mute lists are stored client-side.

I appreciate space/resources/other reasons not to keep that stuff stored centrally... Although it'd make me really happy to not have to keep dealing with the same carousers that I've already muted 5 times elsewhere.
----------------------------------------
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[Feb 25, 2008 5:09:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: Mute lists stored server side. Reply to this Post

Put a reasonable maximum upper limit on the number of mutes allowed and it wouldn't be any worse than downloading hearty and crew lists.

Faulkston,
:-)
[Feb 25, 2008 6:58:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

If you can find the file all those muted folk are stored in, you could save that and just slip it into the right place every time you move to a different computer. Do those computers let you use external drives? I know some public computers actually don't, which really limits their usefulness unless you're doing nothing but playing PopCap games and sending text-only emails.

It would be more convenient to have that stored server-side. >.>
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Feb 25, 2008 7:33:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

At one point weren't mute lists on Windows machines stored in the registry?

Faulkston,
querying
[Feb 25, 2008 7:37:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

If so, that concerns me a bit. I'm very protective of my registry.
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 25, 2008 8:02:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
chupchup

Protective of your registry? You mean the thing used by all installed software to store every conceivable setting it uses? Of course your preferences are stored in there. It's part of the Java userPrefs framework, actually; on Linux, my preferences are in an XML file at: ~/.java/.userPrefs/rsrc/config/yohoho/client/prefs.xml

I can't remember the registry path on Windows offhand, but you could easily export a section of that to a .REG file and manually load it on a new computer after installing the client.
The pirate formerly known as Ljamethyst.

I think the Sublime trophy is a happy idea. Sublime is to be celebrated.

[Feb 25, 2008 9:54:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Ljamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Protective of your registry? You mean the thing used by all installed software to store every conceivable setting it uses?

Yup, that thing. I'm obviously still learning about it. *shrug*
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 25, 2008 10:04:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

The computer in question may prevent registry changes.

Faulkston,
shrugging
[Feb 25, 2008 10:05:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I have the dubious pleasure of playing a fair bit away from home, so I tend to log in a lot on any number of computers, or just playing without downloading the client to a machine.

The end result though sadly, is that people I keep muting never seem to stay muted... I assume therefore that the mute lists are stored client-side.

I appreciate space/resources/other reasons not to keep that stuff stored centrally... Although it'd make me really happy to not have to keep dealing with the same carousers that I've already muted 5 times elsewhere.

It is this reason that we don't have a limit on the number of people we can mute. If it were stored serverside, then we would have to have a mute limit...and that is something I do not want. I personally do not have very many people muted, but I know those who have a LOT of people muted.

I can't remember the registry path on Windows offhand, but you could easily export a section of that to a .REG file and manually load it on a new computer after installing the client.

I'm pretty sure you must be logged onto a computer as an administrator to import a REG file.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Feb 25, 2008 10:18:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chupchup

Prevent registry changes? Need to be administrator to modify them?

We're talking about registry settings that are changed all the time from Ye -> Options. When you change a preference like that, it updates the registry. When you type /mute, it updates the registry. That's what the registry is for.

Many parts of the registry have restricted permissions because they may relate to hardware and driver configuration, but as far as I know, all registry keys/hives have ACLs, and for example HKEY_CURRENT_USER had better be writable by, well, the current user, or you'll have problems.
The pirate formerly known as Ljamethyst.

I think the Sublime trophy is a happy idea. Sublime is to be celebrated.

[Feb 26, 2008 11:43:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Ljamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
mads0001

Lets say internet cafe's mainly. So editing the registry is a no-no.

If you can have 150 hearties, I'm sure a mutelist the same length stored server side would be adequate yes.

It's really a minor gripe I suppose, and I can appreciate not wanting to limit your mute lists potential.
rachaelj wrote: 

"your standing in patronising has gone up and is now respected in your archipelago"
spelling corrected by Mads(tm) :P
[Feb 26, 2008 12:54:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Prevent registry changes? Need to be administrator to modify them?

We're talking about registry settings that are changed all the time from Ye -> Options. When you change a preference like that, it updates the registry. When you type /mute, it updates the registry. That's what the registry is for.

Many parts of the registry have restricted permissions because they may relate to hardware and driver configuration, but as far as I know, all registry keys/hives have ACLs, and for example HKEY_CURRENT_USER had better be writable by, well, the current user, or you'll have problems.

You can do all sorts of things to lock down a computer. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to prevent any changes to the registry, locking in the settings that were already there. I'm pretty sure most programs would continue to function, but option changes wouldn't be saved.

And I'm pretty sure any Windows system will require Admin access to import a REG file, regardless of the contents. In fact, lemme check on that, I think Liz has posted at least one REG file in these forums...

(EDIT)Just checked, REG files can only be opened by the Registry Editor, which *requires* admin access. Accessing the undo_fullscreen.reg file on RustyCutlass resulted in a UAC prompt on my Vista system.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Thunderbird at Feb 26, 2008 5:23:27 PM]
[Feb 26, 2008 5:20:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
klostro

If you can have 150 250 hearties, I'm sure a mutelist the same length stored server side would be adequate yes.

Fixed

And I heartily support this product and/or service.
{Klostro and Wangchung} - Galene says, "Too bad we can't just use the Black Ship as a tugboat, haha." Cronus Smiles.
[Feb 27, 2008 12:04:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homelessirc.net    Klostrophobik    Klostrophobik    Would you like to spank me? [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

The one issue I can see with this is that mute lists then wouldn't copy over between accounts. If you play with several accounts (and I mean play, not just have some alts) that might be an issue. However, I doubt many people play seriously with more than 3 pirates (which is one account).
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Feb 28, 2008 8:37:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Intspalov

Rather then make a new thread, /me bumps

Its known that each individual pirate has their own mute list stored server side, but with the new shortcuts it seems the data is also stored locally. The problem with this is that not each pirate gets their own 12 shortcuts, and all alts logged in share the same list of function-key shortcuts.

If each pirate can have their own mute list, can each pirate then have their own shortcuts?

Note: Beware when testing this out with alt accounts, as once your alt uses F1-F12 then your main will have it disabled until you go to Options and "agree" to the new settings by simply pressing close. And yes, I /bug it.

Edit: Same post here . Discuss in one or the other, whichever seems appropriate.
~ Wafer (Sage)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Intspalov at Mar 12, 2008 5:16:34 PM]
[Mar 12, 2008 5:02:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Intspalov wrote: 
Its known that each individual pirate has their own mute list stored server side

No, that's just a request that's been made by players. If it has been implemented already, then it is a change which has not appeared in the release notes as far as I can tell.

EDIT: You may have been pointing out that if mute lists could be stored server side, then so could the new chat shortcut key bindings. This would be a valid idea, as long as storage limits were put in place - also to avoid EasySpam (tm).

Faulkston,
:-)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Mar 12, 2008 6:05:13 PM]
[Mar 12, 2008 6:01:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

Somehow this thread convinced me that transmogs would not bother me if every conceivable entry was transmogged.

There are some minor advantages to the idea in the OP. Firstly, you would run into less bugs that involve the mute list becoming uneditable, but that one has been long fixed and as far as I know Misery was the only person to ever have it happen to her.

It would also allow you to easily have alts with which you muted people you liked, but didn't want to talk to at some particular time. Some people who feel like they have a lot of obligations in game would probably get a kick out of that. The fact that mute lists aren't shared between pirates or accounts is not necessarily a bad thing in that regard.

Zoel,
Kekekeke
His Holiness, The Dope
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shanoyu at Mar 13, 2008 2:51:53 PM]
[Mar 13, 2008 2:51:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates