• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1966 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
garf

the /who thread Reply to this Post

since cleaver suggested this might deserve its own thread and related topics pop up everywhere right now, here it is.

suggestions for /who improvements:

- general things

either dont make it go away after a time or make it auto-refresh every odd minute. pop up new /who sections instead of overwriting the older fer different /who requests once they are implemented

allow wildcards for all alphanumeric input parts. this would be very important if ye want to look who's on from YARRR and cant recall how many R there were.

add a friendlist! it can even be a simple command like thing fer now that ye can check with /who friends and add people with /friend or via the circle popup menu.

allow /anon to hide from all /who requests other than from people who are on yer own friendlist. maybe add a /anon crew that hides you from every who request not issued by a crewmember; similar fer /anon flag.

some of the following things probably should either get an own shortcut fer they are likely to be used a lot (like /who crew officer or /who crew takeshipout). of course, a macro system would be the ideal solution if its on the list. could be commandline only again, like /macro <mymacroname> <slashcommand>.

/who crew
this could be detailed a lot. i would imagine /who crew applying to own crew, /who crew <crewname> for any other crew. other options fer it:
/who crew officer to see only officers, and make that /who crew rank once the ranking system is more detailed. include higher ranks, obviously. if there is a detailed permission system, it could even allow a /who crew <permission> to see who is online that is able to invite others.

example: /who crew "m?d mu*" officers should show all officers and higher of the mad mutineers (and separated from them, all officers from other crews that fit the wildcard pattern if there are any, like the mud mulies)

/who crew should show the general crew info window, /who crew all should show everyone from the crew that is online.

/who crew ship should show a list of all ships with a general idea of their location. to avoid confusion because it doesnt list pirates, it could be named differently, like /shiplist. it should include how many are aboard in the format [actual pirates/maximum pirates].

fer security and or privacy, this probably should only be available fer yer own crews ships or only fer yer flags ships. maybe ships should even be allowed to go /anon, settable only by captains (or anyone with permission in a detailed ranking system).

/who arch
show everone on your archipelago, /who arch <archipelago name> should show everyone in that archipelago.

/who island
see /who arch, just fer islands.

/who ship
/who ship <shipname> should show everyone aboard that ship along with a location fer the ship. maybe show location only fer own crew/flag ships. the list should start with the commanding officer (the one on nav if any, otherwise the last to give a ship command like deport/set sail/attack) or make him recognizable in another way.

/who all
either show the full list like it does now, or once it gets too large, show a population summary (total player number, number of players per archipelago)

/who pirate <pirate name>
could probably just stay like it is, just add wildcards (and maybe a limit to prevent floods with /who pirate *)

if ye think this is a usefull suggestion list, i will try to edit in any other suggestions that come up here or elsewhere.
----------------------------------------
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Edit 1 times, last edit by garf at Jul 21, 2003 11:16:07 PM]
[Jul 21, 2003 11:16:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Re: the /who thread Reply to this Post

/who ship
/who ship <shipname> should show everyone aboard that ship along with a location fer the ship. maybe show location only fer own crew/flag ships.

Listing location is a bad idea. When the pirate versus pirate portion of this game picks up again, and when flags engage in war, that sort of feature is bound to destroy any sort of hunting or suprise.

If it can be limited to crew and flag only, then sure.

Since the function of plain old /who wasn't really touched on up there, and since it does need to change, I'll repost my own small revision list:

/who still works fine up and through the local surrounding listing. World population numbers and detailed listing for your current ship or island is still plenty helpful without being overwhelming.

Beyond there, though, the rest of the list needs to go in favor of much less detailed summaries for your current archipelago, and no listings for other archipelagos. If we can get that information through more complex commands, there's no reason to worry about it in a concise /who.

Chop the vessel listing to a simple number displaying the total player ships currently sailing within your archipelago.

Something along these lines:

1537 pirates online
----------
Diamond Archipelago
353 total pirates
----------
Alpha Island: 67 pirates
<detailed list, as it is now>
----------
Bryne Island: 3 pirates
Turtle Island: 54 pirates
Winter Solstice: 12 pirates
----------
78 vessels sailing
[Jul 22, 2003 4:00:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Harm, I dunno. The numbers would be mainly useless fer any real intent. Might say ye need to take ye ship to another arch, I guess.

I would like the ability to see all player ships (ship name / crew / flag / population onboard) even if it has to be a command seperate from /who.

Also, I think some general idea of whar a ship is woud be helpful. Maybe last port, but closest island would be better. Have ye ever tried hunting someone? I know thar be one mouthy lad I've kept me eye out fer, and I have seen neither hide nor skirt of him in some time. I think the bigger problem here is of ne'er being able to find someone, friends or foes alike.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jul 22, 2003 4:48:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

ship locations Reply to this Post

Penndalla wrote: 

Also, I think some general idea of whar a ship is woud be helpful. Maybe last port, but closest island would be better. Have ye ever tried hunting someone? I know thar be one mouthy lad I've kept me eye out fer, and I have seen neither hide nor skirt of him in some time. I think the bigger problem here is of ne'er being able to find someone, friends or foes alike.

I'd be very much against this - part of the trick of, say, huntin' down that booty-ful ship ye know I'm usin' to ferry me bank funds is figurin' out when and where I'm doin' it. Arranged fights work perfectly well, but if ye're tryin' to attack someone who has not agreed, ye should have to work at it!

I would, however, very much like these options (most discussed above):

/who person (as now)
/who ship (crewmembers on board plus swabby count)
/who crew (crewmember list, with an online flag)
/who flag (probably crew list, linked to /who crew)
[Jul 22, 2003 5:12:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Should /who be able to be used to "hunt" a particular player? Mouthy or not, I say no. With crew and flag chat, and a friends list, I think all other omniscience beyond the island should be removed.

Less is more. There are other, more interesting ways to get a player's whereabouts . . . Penn, ye have a large crew. Put out a reward for the first person whose info leads to the pillaging of that mouthy person.

I know the "mouthy person" isn't me, because I'm not hard to find.
[Jul 22, 2003 5:16:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Penndalla wrote: 
Harm, I dunno. The numbers would be mainly useless fer any real intent. Might say ye need to take ye ship to another arch, I guess.

Really, how useful is the current list? It takes me minutes to parse it for specific names, and it is only going to get worse. If we have the ability to perform a more detailed query, the numbers serve plenty of purpose for a general /who.

Though, personally, I can live entirely without the /who's for remote places that have zero bearing on me.

I would like the ability to see all player ships (ship name / crew / flag / population onboard) even if it has to be a command seperate from /who.

Yes, that was covered in the post prior to mine.

Have ye ever tried hunting someone? I know thar be one mouthy lad I've kept me eye out fer, and I have seen neither hide nor skirt of him in some time. I think the bigger problem here is of ne'er being able to find someone, friends or foes alike.

I don't think trade ships will like being moving blips on a pirate's satellite radar. It's not a snap to hunt someone down, but it can be done, as our crew did it daily early on in alpha.

Other systems can also be implemented to facilitate this sort of piracy (rumor NPPs, for example), without having everyone rely on some cheesy /who to instantly know where the predator and prey are.
[Jul 22, 2003 5:17:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Aye, I know what was already covered, matey. Jest sayin' what I would like.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jul 22, 2003 5:48:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

I agree that the /who list needs some changes.

Instead of having "/who [ship]" or "/who [player]" why not just have "/who [any name]", where any name can be pretty much anything in the database such as player, ship, island, archipelago, building or flag. The names then have to be unique ofcourse.
These parameters could be combined so if I write "/who diamond ARR" (non case sensitive) I get all the ARR members currently on islands in Diamond.

Also a "/who diamond" will display a list of ships and islands, the ships and islands should be links so I can click on them to further narrow my search (just pop up a new /who list). And if I have a /who on a ship visible then I can click on pirates or the crew name to display info for those too.

A /friend would be great too. If I write "/friend" it will display a list of those I entered on my list and if they're online and if not when they last where. But not until there's a /friend both ways should it say "your friend XX just logged on" ie. if both John and Bob put each other on their friends list they will be told when they log on. But if Bob decides not to put John on the list John won't be told when Bob logs on, but he can see him online on the friends list.
"/friend [player name]" will add/remove a player from the list.
Also the above /who changes could show friends in a different color so I can spot them more easily that way.

I don't know about the anonymous list. Maybe if it's done so that we can't hide players on ships. But it's ok to be anonymous on islands or in buildings.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jul 22, 2003 12:20:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Maybe any anonymous on a ship could just be "+1" or however many are hiding.

One thing I would really like is if you look at a ship - or do a /who shipname - the officer (or the officer in nav if there are more than one aboard) is the first one in the list - many times I've wanted to say something like "congratulations" - or something slightly ruder - to an officer on another ship, but have to go through all of them doing a /who loadsanamesIdon'trecognise for each to find out who's an officer rather than just a jobber. By which time, me praise or cussing has got rather outdated...
[Jul 22, 2003 1:17:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

/who Reply to this Post

We argued about this tonight (I am an old school mud person who loves to type /who all the time), and here's what we're going to do for now;

Total online: 323(X?)

Diamond Archipelago:

Alpha Island: 25: Cleaver, Bobbeard, etc... as is now. (hopefully with names as links)

Turtle Island: 23
Byrne Island: 12

Vessels:

Petty Plaice, Pennsuedo (the captain), 23 (the pirates on board)

Emerald Archipelago: 120
Pearl Archipelago: 124

And I suppose we'll have to do /who archipelago too, although for the Pirates Diamond, Sapphire and Ruby (and doubtless others) who have such names, this might make it hard to view their info at a distance...! Oh the overloading.
[Jul 22, 2003 6:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
garf

homullus wrote: 
Should /who be able to be used to "hunt" a particular player? Mouthy or not, I say no. With crew and flag chat, and a friends list, I think all other omniscience beyond the island should be removed.

Less is more. There are other, more interesting ways to get a player's whereabouts . . . Penn, ye have a large crew. Put out a reward for the first person whose info leads to the pillaging of that mouthy person.

I know the "mouthy person" isn't me, because I'm not hard to find.

i think that showing a players location on /who pirate is fine. it should basically be like it is now. ye should be able to learn on which ship he is, but i agree you shouldnt get to know where that ship is unless its sailing under yer flag. finding players on islands surely poses no threat to them, as everything on islands is consentual.

silverbeard - the reason i suggested having separate /who commands fer pirates, crews and such is that there likely be coincidences, especially if ye do a wildcarded search. that list could surely become quite huge if ye fer some reason want to find all crews starting with a z. a /who crew z* would then show.. dont know, 2 or 3 crews later on, but its likely to show a hundred pirates.

shadow - great suggestion, i'll add it to the list.

cleaver - thanks fer the update. do ye feel it would be usefull to keep the main posting updated with new suggestions coming up, or are ye likely not to use it anyway? jest asking if the work might be usefull.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 22, 2003 10:30:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Something tells me that, were it not for politics and rank and boat ownership and the like, a Crew would be exactly like a Group Of Friends.

The Crew panel does a fine job of listing who's on and who's not. It can handle separate lists (like your current crew and your jobbing crew).

So... howsabout putting more than two collapsible lists of people in the Crew panel? Homullus's configurable list of friends ("Yer Mates") should be first, followed by your own crew and your jobbing crew. Flag bigwigs can have a list of their fellow bigwigs ("Yer Court"), or perhaps even a (nested?) listing for each member Crew.

Some lists would need different icons: on a Flag listing, the Monarch needs a big crown; on a Mates listing... uh... something besides captain's hats. Hearts!

Some lists would need different clickable menu tasks. You don't want to promote people within a crew. You always want to have the equivalent of "/tell Cleaver" and "/who Cleaver".

Going this route could keep folks from having to remember arcane commands-- not that I find them arcane, but, you know, you need to read the fmanual to learn about them.
[Jul 22, 2003 11:38:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

(Not following up to myself, just posting a different related topic.)

The options for "/who" seem to be split into two categories:
(1) I know a set of one or more people; where are they now?
(2) I know a location; who's there right now?

Seems to me that some folks worry about specific applications of type-2 queries. Also seems to me that some folks are clamoring for more flavors of type-1 queries. My last post was all about the type-1s.

Would it help things if the two commands were given different names, like "/who" and "/where"?
[Jul 22, 2003 11:54:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates