• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4569 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
SilveRansom

Silver's Egg Reference, Big pictures Reply to this Post

I'm starting a new thread for this to keep it all in one place for reference, and in the hope that it doesn't get lost in (or bog down) the Render Testing thread. It would fit well there, but it's not limited to 2008. It's also a bit preemptive, since it's for reference. I don't know why I didn't do this before.

Maybe because it breaks the forums. Doh! I'd like to keep these big for visibility's sake, but maybe I'll go back and shrink these and leave links to the bigger versions tomorrow when I can make the time.

This should benefit those who want to design eggshells for the Easter Egg contest, but who don't have access to Max, and aren't quite sure how the eggshells fit onto the eggs. Sometimes it's nice to have something to look at to see what's going on.

Here's the basic UV (the texture coordinate equivalent of a Cartesian XY plane) layout of the egg shell. Note that the square of the design wraps around the WHOLE egg, so you'll only ever see half of your design. Also note the distortions; it gets pinched near the poles, and stretched near the equator.

Specifically, the red circle in this shot (the prime visibility section of the egg) is reflected in the selection on the UV grid. The Ringers may rotate your egg, but in general, keeping the "important stuff" around this area is a good idea.

Here's what happens if you tinker with the vertical stripes, alternating rows of faces on the geometry:

First, these are the stripes I'll color:

The color layout looks like this:

Here's the final eggshell design:

And here's how it turns out (notice especially that only half of the design shows up on the visible part of the egg):

And here's the horizontal equivalent:

First, these are the stripes I'll color:

The color layout looks like this:

Here's the final eggshell design:

And here's how it turns out:

One thing that I've experimented with is making vertical "cross-sections" of the egg. This allows me to make a vertical band around the egg. Here's the breakdown on that:

The mess of UVs:

Setting up some colors:

The design:

The results:

----------------------------------------
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 10, 2008 5:00:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
starsapphire

Re: Silver's Egg Reference, Big pictures Reply to this Post

OO! That does help me a bit (since I've been stumbling around with just Mirosoft Paint!!

Thanks!
Falmari on all Oceans

In water they had great delight, and those that came at last to the western shores were enamoured of the sea.
[Feb 10, 2008 7:05:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oasis111

what system do you use??
Antheanian forever, no matter what tries to stop me!

Apollo tells ye, "Where would be the fun giving a warning? That would spoil MY fun!"
[Feb 5, 2010 11:11:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maskforum

what system do you use??

Its 3dsmax
Mask - Hunter Ocean
Island degisner
[Feb 5, 2010 12:05:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hizmet

what system do you use??

Its 3dsmax

Is it free to download?
Criman Of Meridian
[Feb 7, 2010 8:12:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

what system do you use??

Its 3dsmax

Is it free to download?

You can download a trial version for 30 days via Autodesk.com.
xeitgeist of purdywinkle oshun iz tired
i tumble around heer
[Feb 7, 2010 8:16:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bisdakbytes.tumblr.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates