• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2585 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
ChristianP

Help for colour blind players? Reply to this Post

I'm colour blind, so my vision is effectively like cutting the red channel out of an image. Quite a few of the puzzles in PP rely on colours for identifying pieces, which is extremely hard when you can't tell the difference between green and yellow.
I can just about do sword fighting because the swords have different shapes, but I don't think I'd be able to do the drinking puzzle (haven't tried it yet)
Aere the developers aware of problems colour blind people might have?
[Jul 19, 2003 8:32:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Re: Help for colour blind players? Reply to this Post

The drinking puzzle will be especially easy for you at least; because an image appears in all the squares which are a valid move to help you make your choice.
[Jul 19, 2003 8:54:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChristianP

ah :P
I'll have a go at the grog then..
[Jul 19, 2003 10:21:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jaffee

Swordfighting can be done, although I'd imagine it pretty hard. Each sword color does have a different shape (of the sword in the block). The only problem I can think of is that you might not be able to differentiate between the regular blocks and the garbage blocks that are about to change into the regular blocks.

But then again, that might not be much of an issue...

Anyways, if you're able to recognize them by shape, it might work.
----------------------------------------
~Jaff
[Jul 20, 2003 1:45:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

This post contains some information you might find useful

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=4&highlight=color+blind
[Jul 20, 2003 4:16:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ChristianP

ah, I'm *sure* that thread didn't come up when I searched for colour blind problems (and yes, I did use the american spelling too)
And I've played the drinking game now - I can see where to play moves thanks to the hint images, but working out which ones are better is really hard. Nice to see you've thought about this from early on though :)
[Jul 20, 2003 5:52:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Arr; working out which ones is better is practically impossible even when you have full colour vision - as Fronsac said, I tried to swallow me hook while deciding just the other day ;-)
[Jul 20, 2003 10:51:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
squig

I'm partially color blind, so I can see most colors, but I have a nightmare with blue/purple in the drinking game. While the potential moves are a huge help, it does hurt strategy not being able to tell them apart. I'd like to suggest that one of these be moved down the list and another take it's place as one of the four default colors (considering most people play only 4 colors).
[Aug 11, 2003 2:44:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

A good point. As neither I nor Bluebeard are colorblind in any capacity, could you please tell us which color would be best suited? I don't want to go and change it and then have someone else tell me they still can't tell.

-Nemo
[Aug 11, 2003 6:38:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Another suggestion - which may help, or not.... Reply to this Post

Maybe it could be changed so that if you click and hold on an opponent the "strength" of their stained squares changes, so that the squares get stronger in colour and consequently darker? I think that would definitely help with strategy (even for non-colourblind players)...you're usually only watching one or two of the leaders even in a large group, and trying to pick out where all their squares are in the time before the move runs out can be a tricky one.
[Aug 11, 2003 7:18:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jota

Along the same lines, perhaps mousing over a stained square could do the same (hilight the owner and all other matching squares) -- although this could get distracting to most players, so it might be something to make an option for.
[Aug 11, 2003 8:15:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/grunk/2002/04/24/ [Link]  Go to top 
Sagittary

Also being a (partially) colour blind player... Perhaps mousing over results in the owned square and all other owned squares of that colour getting a night border highlight plus the owner in question getting a highlight around their portrait space.
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion
[Aug 11, 2003 3:47:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Would it work if the stains weren't solid colors, but rather a color-and-thin-white-stripy pattern, with stripes running in different directions? Perhaps this, like showing the possible moves, could be configured at the start of a game.
[Aug 12, 2003 7:13:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Put a single character in the corner that indicates what color it is. That way, even if you were viewing the game on a B/W television, you could still play the game.

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Aug 12, 2003 7:19:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Im not colorblind so I don't know if it is possible. But I was wondering if it wasn't possible to fiddle with the color schemes on your graphics card to make the colors of the puzzles more distinguishable? Ofcourse it might make other parts of the game look funky too.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Aug 12, 2003 3:04:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

I am especially interested in this topic as well, being partially color blind myself. I find that most of my problems occur when you have similar colors next to each other. For example, yellow and orange are often hard to tell, brown and green sometimes, brown and black sometimes, blue and purple.. Of course each of these colors have many hues, and changing hues makes them much easier to distinguish. A normal purple against a sky blue is easy to tell, while a darker blue against a purple is nearly impossible.

I can use the colors on this forum to show you what I mean.

This colorand this color are (not so bad, see edit)
The same with this color and this color
Tho, This color and This color aren't nearly as bad.
Dark blue and indigo are the same color to me as well.

I dont know if that helps the designers in picking colors that make this easier on us partially color blind folks, but I hope it does.

[Edit]

Actually.. after looking at the post, the darkred and red colors are fairly distinguishable when looking at them in text. It was only hard to see when I chose them from the list.
Gorth

Midnight:
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.
[Aug 12, 2003 10:16:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagittary

re Reply to this Post

Perhaps, either replacing or inaddition too, would be stain patterns. For instance, one stand is the full square, another is a funny squiggle, another is more circular, etc. In my experience, the best way to help colour-blind vision is to either not rely upon or have something in addition to just a good variety of colour. It's visually faster and easier to determine if piece X really is the same as piece Y.
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion
[Aug 13, 2003 4:06:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lagrange99

Bump

I appreciate the ability to change the sword colors but would like to suggest that the tool tip for trinkets etc indicate colour like it does on clothing currently.
Hybirius on Hunter
http://hunter.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Hybirius
[Jan 27, 2009 10:41:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scm621

As a related aside, check out Untrue Colors.
Searmin of the Midnight Ocean
Currently unaffiliated
[Jan 27, 2009 10:49:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fatfriar

Yes please.

I was at a fundraising auction a few days ago that was halted for 10 minutes while we tried to figure out if a starfish that was being sold was rose or white.
Ybbald of the Hunter Ocean
Retired or something
[Jan 27, 2009 11:18:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mouse2cat

I remember seeing a patch a long time ago that you could download for your individual client. This patch had altered colors to make puzzle pieces more identifiable for color blind players. If we could dig that patch up that might be the most effective solution to your problem.

:edit:
Ah here we go
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=73690

The nice thing it as you are going in and modifying the game (something OOO makes an exception in the instance of a handicap) you can edit it in such a way as to be the most beneficial to your individual seeing difficulties. Like you may only need to mess with the red pieces while someone else may need to tweak a lot more of them.
Crabcake on Emerald and Obsidian
Current avatar by Kolibri
[Edit 3 times, last edit by mouse2cat at Jan 29, 2009 9:41:18 AM]
[Jan 29, 2009 8:41:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.skoonberg.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates