• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4099 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Rengor

Some Govenor experiences and suggestions Reply to this Post

Been playing with the Govenor interface for a bit now.

The interface in the palace where you dump the ship deeds for the training vessels and the navy vessels is not intuitive at all. Give it some headlines so we know to dump a ship deed there and tell us how to distinguish between a training vessel/navy vessel before we commission them. Also it would be nice to be able to decommission ships as well if we want to up/downgrade. And certainly an option to remove/add maps after it has been commissioned.

The button to create a training map should give you a text that a map has been created in your inventory. Also this map which is a map circling around the island is quite helpfull for other than a training vessel since you can make an alternative route to/from an island. That shouldn't be possible, make it so that we can't chart using this map.
And other flags should know that currently there are no carpentry stations open on navy/training vessels on small and large sloops. It would actually be nice if all players could move a swabbie on a training/navy vessel over to get the station, either manually or automatically when they want an occupied station.

Placing buildings work really nicely. The only thing is I would like to be able to get an image of the actual shop when i create the deed, so I know where the arrow goes precisely, and to see how it works with surrounding buildings etc. Or keep the footprint and make a webpage with all the buildings so we can get an idea from there.

I would also like some way to write notices on the noticeboard! We have alot of fresh pirates these days, and I get alot of the same questions, I'd love to be able to have some way to tell them how to take jobs in shops, how to work for navy ships, how to get to Diamond, how to join crews etc. So a little section with headlines and links to the full text for what to do on the notice board would be great.

I think I'll make a quick Govenor 101 (maybe we could sell it here in California too ;) since there's quite a few things I bet most of us busy with colonizing dont know.
----------------------------------------
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jul 19, 2003 7:43:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Re: Some Govenor experiences and suggestions Reply to this Post

Perhaps it would work to put the "Help" button in the Ye interface on the noticeboard too? I think it's likely to be useful there...assuming the new pirates find the notice board...
[Jul 19, 2003 12:28:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

Not really a governor thing, but given the building placement and creation of buildings... will we eventually be able to pave streets and place fountains or something?
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jul 19, 2003 1:26:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Good stuff Reply to this Post

Good stuff Silver. Most of yer points are on the list. The Palace interface is indeed rough, don't hold yer breath for a new one because there are only 10 people who ever see it! I like posting things to the noticeboard a lot.

Re: Paving stuff over and fountains, this is on the list too, maybe even the 'slightly sooner than later' list, if you get my drift. Our incredible noticeboard-placing-technology could even allow us to put down a fountain or two... but the crazy paving will have to wait a bit, I fear.
[Jul 21, 2003 6:21:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Feltope

Re: Good stuff Reply to this Post

Cleaver wrote: 
The Palace interface is indeed rough, don't hold yer breath for a new one because there are only 10 people who ever see it!

This happens to be my only concern at this point. I am a firm believer in anyone should be able to accomplish anything given enough time and resources. It is of course true that not many people would want the job, but I know I would probably enjoy it, at the very least the administration part of it.

Since I work full time and can only play for a few hours (4 or so currently) in the middle of the night where it is a tad harder to find a job, this is something that would take me alot longer to accomplish. Sounds like never though, and that is my problem with it.

thanks,
Feltope
thanks,
Feltope
Captain -- Draconi Traders
Prince of the Black Plague
Manager -- Dye Hard: With a Vengence - Emperor island
[Jul 23, 2003 11:57:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

It's not "never", but a certain amount of reality has to intrude here.

I would really love to be a millionaire playboy, but I also work full-time, and don't have skills or connections to get that instantaneously, and that bothers me. I was going to say that they don't hand out millionaire playboy positions by lottery, but I guess they technically do . . . it's called "the lottery." But nothing similar exists in-game.

It is very, very possible to become a governor on 4 hours a day, and will become easier as there are more players. I can even lay out the steps:

1) play during that same 4-hour block nearly every day. Form a crew with other people in that same time slot. Doesn't even have to be for the full 4 hours, two hours a night can make you "known" to other players.

2) By pillaging regularly with the same (eventually skilled) people, you will make a name for yourself, along with a pile of money.

3) If you're the captain, join a flag which already has an island, and be active in flag politics and planning. If you're not captain, translate your crew experience to another crew who values your experience. Get a shoppe if you can.

4) Be the clear choice for governorship of a newly colonized island under that flag.

Most players don't make it past #1, because they don't have leaderhsip and organization skills, or they don't have the interest in playing regularly. If either is true, there's no way in hell they should be governor. Aside from the status title "governor" and getting to look at the governor interface, it's actually just work. In a puzzle game.
[Jul 24, 2003 12:57:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Re: Good stuff Reply to this Post

Feltope wrote: 
Since I work full time and can only play for a few hours (4 or so currently) in the middle of the night where it is a tad harder to find a job, this is something that would take me alot longer to accomplish. Sounds like never though, and that is my problem with it.

Becoming Governor of an island is more of a political honour than a straight-up 'how many hours did you play' or 'how much money do you have' issue, although obviously these might relate to political sway. The '10' number is the current figure. In a fully populated server we'd hope to have perhaps a hundred Governors or more.
[Jul 24, 2003 4:22:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
garf

arr, cleaver.. has ye target number of players per server changed? i recall ye stating that 1000 simultanous players per server are yer goal. if thats right, wouldnt 100 governers and therefore more or less developed islands spread out the population, not to mention customers fer the shoppes, far too much? or would are ye planning on having multiple governers fer islands?
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 24, 2003 4:48:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Arr, that only leaves 1 person on each of 99 islands when ye account fer 901 Rudder Revolutionaries on they own island at any given time...
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jul 24, 2003 5:12:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

garf wrote: 
arr, cleaver.. has ye target number of players per server changed? i recall ye stating that 1000 simultanous players per server are yer goal. if thats right, wouldnt 100 governers and therefore more or less developed islands spread out the population, not to mention customers fer the shoppes, far too much? or would are ye planning on having multiple governers fer islands?

It was my understanding (but don't quote me on this) that not all the Islands in an Archipelago would be developed to Guava/Turtle/Alpha proportions. Indeed, the majority of the Islands would be little more than 'outposts' for picking up different commodity types, and perhaps enjoying lovely Carribean scenery (for those pirates so inclined to step off the ship and view it, that is).

In this manner, every Island would indeed have a Governor, but they would not necessarily be a Governor of much more than a Market (and perhaps a Distillery/Iron Monger), and they certainly wouldn't be governing over any sort of population worth mentioning.

Penndalla wrote: 
Arr, that only leaves 1 person on each of 99 islands when ye account fer 901 Rudder Revolutionaries on they own island at any given time...

Ah, si, Pennsuedo, but how do you plan on paying for that one Island in the first place? I don't believe Jack will be giving you access to the 'magical money satchel' anytime soon. Ha!
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[Jul 24, 2003 6:07:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Teirlap wrote: 
Penndalla wrote: 

Ah, si, Pennsuedo, but how do you plan on paying for that one Island in the first place? I don't believe Jack will be giving you access to the 'magical money satchel' anytime soon. Ha!

What do you mean? With newbies not counting toward ship ratings, I'd say the big ship is indeed this 'magical money satchel' of which you speak!
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 24, 2003 11:16:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates