• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 60
Posts: 60   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8196 times and has 59 replies Next Thread
Dolzar

Construction on Cnossos?!?!

In the coming week I hope to start construction on some sections of Cnossos Island, my initial plan is to build some of the missing bazaars, please realize space is very limited, and while I?d love to build them all; two seems the extent of what I can squeeze in. If you have any suggestions or feelings in regards to this please post here, as usually I value any and all input. (also would appreciate name ideas)
----------------------------------------
~Dolzar~
Scapegoat of Red Dawn, and for the rest of the ocean as well!
[Jun 20, 2004 6:30:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Re: Construction on Cnossos?!?!

considering what bazzars and resources are near you and what things you have going for you, cheap taylors bazzar. you may want to go for an apoc and a weavery bazzar... but I'm not sure how many weaverys do you want...

Another suggestion is the distillery and iron monger bazzars since those things will always be needed, cheap rum and cheap shot.

I don't think a shipyard bazzar will be in your best interest since there is a few already and main resources, wood, iron, and sail cloth to an extent, is not plentiful and far away.

Those are my opinions and good luck!
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Jun 20, 2004 7:34:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daplunderer

since those things will always be needed, cheap rum and cheap shot.

I agree with this statement, as for names, its hard, but I'll think of a few if I can.

Remus and Rumulus could be a distillery bazaar I guess...
Zangor on Midnight Ocean.
[Jun 20, 2004 10:08:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/blog/nickchurch [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

As soon as you decide which bazaaars will be built, Then I'll send in some strange, bazaar names.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jun 20, 2004 2:44:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Distilling and iron monger bazaars are by far the most important, as those are the ones that produce the goods needed immediately and locally. For the others, it doesn't matter much where you buy a ship or clothing or whatever.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Myerknas

Cnossos already has shoppes on it, so the need for rum and cannonballs is not very urgent, in my opinion.

I believe that the primary factor in making a decision like this is the difficulty involved in supplying resources to the bazaar. Unfortunately, resource availability is not particularly good at Cnossos; especially for bazaars you have to take into account that wood is very bulky and stall owners aren't always going to have a bunch of buddies to sail a merchant brig with--if they even own a merchant brig. It's not fun to have to make a 16 league sloop trip every 90 units of rum. A shipyard might actually be somewhat more acceptable since one vessel will probably take on the order of days for an average stall--you'd only need to make a trip every day instead of every couple of hours. You'd have to sail to Oyster to obtain hemp for a weavery, which is only slightly less of a big pain than going to Turtle for wood...
[Jun 20, 2004 7:32:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Weavery. It fits with your already existing, well-established, bazaar, and you have two materials for it spawning on cnossos already, with other requisite materials nearby (hemp on oyster and winter solstice, with the additional advantage of herbs on both those islands in case you want to help supply the apothecary [stall<s>] you are buying from.)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Jun 20, 2004 9:13:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

I feel you need to make a distillery. With rum prices being over 70, people could easily move into this market, and make a good profit. IMHO those rum prices are way to high. Stop the cnossos distillers from gouging us!
[Jun 20, 2004 9:52:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
runnings_fun

Distillery and monger. Rum prices are typically a good measure higher than on other islands and up until a couple weeks or so ago ball prices were high as well.

Additionally with 5 weavers currently on the island adding a bazzar might be a bit of overkill.
A Ptolmaic Overlord Production

Sadly, I believe Ptolemy is correct.

[Jun 20, 2004 10:27:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drfeetseconds [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

The way I see it as I pointed out. You already have a 7-8 weaveries and about 5-6 iron mongers. There's about 4 distilleries and 4 shipyards. However, there's only 2 apocs. strangely there's 2 inns... but meh.

I would focus on what would bring about the most advancement for Cnossos. Would adding more weaveries and apocs bring in more business to your island or would more distilleries and iron mongers bring in more business?

Perhaps in this case I would say that a weavery might over do it, but there is a definate need for an apoc, even though the rares are getting harder and harder to find. It's hard to live off of shot alone so many iron mongers would close I fear and not bring in much business. However, I haven't checked on the prices of rum on Cnossos so if they are at 70 and cheaper rum could be made so that people would think about stopping by, that would be a good thing.

My recommendation would be to build an apoc bazzar and a distillery bazzar.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
[Jun 20, 2004 11:53:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

There are way too many weaveries on Cnossos as is. Build something else.

[size=8]Conflict of interest? What's that?
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Jun 20, 2004 11:56:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AizIril

I agree. 6 weaveries already.. sheesh. I'd suggest a monger, and something else. Maybe an apoth... maybe a distillery.
Xyphus on Hunter. Aiziril on Midnight. Bored on all oceans.
[Jun 21, 2004 12:01:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I'm all about a shipwright and a distillery.

For a name:

Rumidentified Floting Objects (or grogjects if ye really want to get crazy).
[Jun 21, 2004 12:43:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

I'm too much against a shipwright. Reason being that the there is no good resources for miles. i'm not sure about the alpha situation, but I hear that it's not that great since wood and iron is hard to get cheaply now.

I'm also against the iron monger simply because there's a fair number already. Bring up what you lack, cheap distillery and cheaper dyes. There's probably a lack of dyes around and it would be a good place to be because the rent is so cheap and you can do so much with the dyes.

[Jun 21, 2004 1:01:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dolzar

I would just like to point out for cosideration, That while the tailors are well stocked, with all those weaverys, I have had a hard time finding cloth on Cnossos.... Perhaps if this was to change i could agree that a weavery would serve no place.
~Dolzar~
[Jun 21, 2004 1:52:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

In the last week, there's been a huge run on cloth, probably related to the Grand Frigate Pillage windfall a while back. If the other weaveries are like ours, they're recovering from that as fast as dye becomes available.

It's a momentary market adjustment, not a long-term shortage.
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Jun 21, 2004 2:07:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
runnings_fun

Dyes are holding us back. If enough were available are a reasonable price the island would be swimming in cloth in a matter of hours.
A Ptolmaic Overlord Production

Sadly, I believe Ptolemy is correct.

[Jun 21, 2004 3:15:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drfeetseconds [Link]  Go to top 
Nilty

probally a weavery.. and then either a monger or Distllery..

Stay away from shipyards.. so many of those anywhere and where you buy yoru ship doenst really matter.

Mongers and Distlleries are nesscary for re-supply and being the gateway betwene emerlad and Dimond you get a lot of traffic for those goods.

Weavery.. Because Cnossos has more tailors then any other island (I belive over 1/2 the taloirs in the game are there) would make it even more of a textile hub then it is now... Smaller players who run tailoring stalls may run a weavery in addition to self-supply.. Currentlly those who wish to self supply are running the stalls on alpha and shipping it the 3 leages to cnossos. Building a weavery bazaar will move some of those from alpha back to Cnossos and making less risk of losing cloth with transport .. Good for all..
[Jun 21, 2004 4:34:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Nilty [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Dolzar, it seems that you want to focus on your taylor end of your island. I would suggest then an apoc and weavery bazzar. That will help out the business of your taylor bazzar.

[Jun 21, 2004 5:16:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dolzar

I am not sure your being clear on this issue, I not owning a tailor I don?t see how I could focus on this, HOWEVER, since taking the island I must admit there having been several times that upon looking for cloth for sail I came back empty handed, further I have had several tailors ON the island suggest the weaver bazaar. Upon that same note an apothecary seems little use as there are two apothecaries which seem to be doing little to no business. But let?s dig deeper into what it feels you are saying, in that I am focusing on MY TAILOR, well the flags tailor being on alpha, this almost feels as if you?re saying I plan to build one. Honestly the verdict isn?t back on this one. While I can see some profit being gained in building a tailor, I can also see profit in building anything, but to this end I re-ask the question, what do the citizens want, and again ask for more names, and I do ask that no one take the choice I make personal as I do have people choosing to contact me within the game. At which point I welcome all citizens to contact me in game with any questions or comments, for it?s in your best interest; as well as mine to make Cnossos a great place to be.
~Dolzar~
[Jun 21, 2004 8:48:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

My I suggest a poll?
[Jun 21, 2004 9:28:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Myerknas wrote: 
Cnossos already has shoppes on it, so the need for rum and cannonballs is not very urgent, in my opinion.

If rum and shot prices on Cnossos were in line with what they are elsewhere, you might have a case. But you don't. Quick comparison price comparison of fine rum and small cannonballs, using the current low sell prices:

Island  Rum Shot
Cnossos 66 33
Alpha 58 24
Turtle 60 20
Winter S 58 22
Spring 54 19
Emperor 55 24
Epsilon 58 25
Gaea 53 20
Wrasse 58 24
Tinga 63 29
Guava 52 21

Anything that stands out there? Some islands can justify higher prices due to their relatively remote location, but Cnossos has quite possibly the most central location in the game. The only thing that keeps prices on Cnossos usuriously high for extended periods of time is the oligopoly situation, where competitors who would be willing to sell for cheaper can't enter the market.

As for what the best choice to make is, it all depends on whom you're trying to benefit. If you're trying to do what will most benefit the vast majority of the players in the game, or to make Cnossos a useful place for ships to stop and restock, then the answer is obvious: distilling and iron monger bazaars are absolutely essential.

If you're trying to maintain artificially high prices to scandalously benefit a handful of wealthy shop owners, the answer is also obvious: don't build the bazaars. But don't be surprised if such open economic warfare is met with political warfare, i.e., a blockade.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Jun 21, 2004 9:50:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

My advice is to forget the good of the game. What profit do you make from building a bazaar?

Build shops instead. You get to keep these when someone else conquers Cnossos; bazaars give you no permanent benefit.

If everyone thought only of their own profit, we would all be far better off.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Jun 21, 2004 10:40:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Build an Inn. then everybody* is happy!

*- [size=9]everybody important. ...me.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jun 21, 2004 10:46:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

RobertDonald wrote: 
If everyone thought only of their own profit, we would all be far better off.
I lack the words t'express me befuddlement, nor t'describe the levels contained within.
Potato Jones: Steam-Powered, High-Flying
[Jun 21, 2004 10:46:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

I wasn't saying that you personally were focused on your taylors but the taylors bazzar aspect of your island. If you want to help out that aspect of your island, then a weavery or apoc bazzar would be good. If you want to do the traveler's aspect of the game, then a distillery and iron monger is the way to go. Or do a mix. It's your choice.

Robert, he's being considerate of the economy and trying to reduce prices for his citizens. That plus he can collect rent from the stalls which from what I understand makes the island a bit of money and is easier than running two shops.

[Jun 21, 2004 10:53:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

well, that's our resident sociopath heard from. Anyone else?
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jun 21, 2004 11:09:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Queanie

I tend to sway towards the Iron monger and Distillery idea because, as has been said already - Cnossos is critically located as regards inter-arch travel between the 2 most populous archs and also has the most expensive rum and shot prices in the ocean. Introducing some healthy competition should hopefully result in lower prices and increase foot traffic (or should I say ship traffic) to Cnossos. This will hopefully have a flow on effect of increasing trade in other areas, meaning that the tailoring industry of Cnossos and the apoth's and weaverys which support it will flourish.

Of course increasing trade in the tailoring industry would call for increased numbers of (preferably on-island) support in the form of apoths and weaverys (whether self supply based or not) but if rum and shot is cheap and plentiful that will cut down on the costs of those self supplying from other islands.....

Hmmm I think I could talk myself into circles here.

As to names? Erm..

The Rumotaur?
Daedalus' Maize?

Jez
Jezabella
Supposedly retired, but recently seen skulking around on various botes
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Myerknas

Quizzical wrote: 
Myerknas wrote: 

If rum and shot prices on Cnossos were in line with what they are elsewhere, you might have a case. But you don't. Quick comparison price comparison of fine rum and small cannonballs, using the current low sell prices:

Island  Rum Shot
Cnossos 66 33
Alpha 58 24
Turtle 60 20
Winter S 58 22
Spring 54 19
Emperor 55 24
Epsilon 58 25
Gaea 53 20
Wrasse 58 24
Tinga 63 29
Guava 52 21

Anything that stands out there? Some islands can justify higher prices due to their relatively remote location, but Cnossos has quite possibly the most central location in the game.

While Cnossos may appear in the center on maps, it's not really a center of pillaging activity--and furthermore, its central location means that it's generally last in line to receive raw materials coming from the outer archipelagos.

The issue is that a combination of a high tax rate and the fact that you must sail 16 leagues to obtain wood (or 12 leagues to Guava over a significantly more dangerous route) seriously damages the economic viability of a distillery bazaar. If you think you can supply a distillery stall on Cnossos with enough wood to keep rum prices in line with the rest of the ocean, be my guest--but I see absolutely no reason that someone wanting to sell rum on Cnossos wouldn't be better off opening a stall on Turtle and shipping the finished product to Cnossos.

As for cannonballs, this is the highest price on Cnossos I've seen in quite some time. For awhile prices were lower on Cnossos than on Alpha, so I'm not convinced that additional supply is necessary. I do admit that an iron monger bazaar is more tenable than a distillery bazaar and might reduce prices, but I doubt that it will result in any sweeping changes to the current situation.
[Jun 21, 2004 9:16:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

Shipyard, because it can then be named The Place that Launched a Thousand Ships, and that only works on Cnossos. ;)

Seriously - why not wait a week or two, and see if prices for shot and rum have changed? Market bidding has just begun, which will temporarily mess with prices, and it's not always good to build on one data point anyhow.
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Jun 21, 2004 10:12:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 60   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates