• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1589 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
garf

duty puzzle ratings versus getting work done Reply to this Post

i recall nemo mentioning that "being fast in the duty puzzles [carpentry was the example, iirc] wont affect your rating at all, but will get the work done faster".

does that mean that a ship will be repaired faster/bilge will be cleared faster when you speed up yer work, but it does not help your rating? if so, wouldnt that mean a captain has no indication of how much his pirates actually worked? from my experience, it is possible to get incredible ratings even when lazing about most of the time as long as what you actually do is done well. isnt that counter-productive to the goal of keeping the ship in a good state?

if that's true, an additional indicator for how much work was performed might be helpfull?
----------------------------------------
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 17, 2003 8:23:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Incredible! Reply to this Post

We are in the process of revising the way Duty Puzzles are scored so that you have to work more consistently to get good ratings and so that the Indicator Icons actually better reflect how you are doing (and what the duty report might show).
[Jul 18, 2003 2:35:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
garf

Re: duty puzzle ratings versus getting work done Reply to this Post

arr, nice to hear. :)

i do sense some sarcasm in that incredible, though. ;)
- Randal

[Jul 18, 2003 6:42:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Rellik

Ok, let me see if I understand this how it is. I'm able to get incredible in bilging almost every time just by taking my time and making sure every match up is a combo, but is that really bilging all that well? Some people have told me that if you're trying to lower the water level, you're better off just going super fast and getting a bunch of 3-pairs, even if it gives you a terrible err... efficiency rating. Is that true?
[Jul 26, 2003 2:04:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skipper

I don't really know about that, but I do clear chains of 3s, 4s, and 5s only and by doing this quickly I can get excellent almost everytime and the water level goes down pretty quickly...
[Jul 26, 2003 2:24:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aralyn

I don't understand them at all now. In carp I had no time to fill in anything completely so I got booched. So next league I try seeing what it will do if overlap and fill them in. I had pieces overlapped, but still none completely filled in and I go Excellent. ......

In Sailing I am going fast now and clearing platforms with doubles and only get rated as Fine. However before that I was still going fast and clearing using no combos and got excellent sometimes and sometimes worse ratings for doing the same thing.

Bilge I go fast and get 2 bingos, a sea donkey, and some 3x3s all in short moves and get Fine.

So. I'm confused
[Jul 26, 2003 3:18:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Duty Puzzle Changes Reply to this Post

We made some fairly major changes to the duty puzzle scoring in Friday's release, which involved blowing away the previous performance distribution (what your score is graded against to give Excellents etc.) These will have stabilised out now and you should be seeing much more correlation between the indicator and your report. Hopefully it'll all make more sense.
[Jul 27, 2003 10:23:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
MrSock

Duty reports a total drag Reply to this Post

Maybe this has been mentioned before? Forgive my newness.

The duty reports that interrupt duty puzzles are a total obnoxious drag! Imagine playing a console game where the machine paused all of a sudden, or the controller got ripped out of your hand every 2 minutes, or the TV shut off. i don't really understand why those reports have to interrupt gameplay - put them in a sidebar, and i can check them out when i want to. If i were to advise people purchasing this game, that's the one thing i'd warn them about. "Great game, yeah - but don't buy it because of this one infuriating thing.

- MrSock
[Aug 1, 2003 5:59:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Break time Reply to this Post

Taking a break is good. You're the first person to complain about duty reports... if everyone hated them, I think we'd know by now. Putting them in a side-bar would not have the same effect.
[Aug 1, 2003 8:12:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
garf

well.. i do have a complain about the change in the duty ratings.

generally, i find them taking "really helping the ship" into account a good thing.

however.. at least for me, there are quite some occasions where i liked the "relaxed" way of carpenting, more watching chat than puzzling, occasionally putting a piece here and there.

with the old rating system, this was no problem at all. with the new system, doing this will ruin my ratings (im actually surprised i didnt lose a rank already). so if i actually care for my standings, i cant currently deliberately help a little when i see fit and theres no need to do much. its "go full power" or "jest dont start to puzzle".

anyone sharing this problem?

unfortunately, i dont see a really good solution to this. any suggestions?
- Randal

[Aug 1, 2003 9:02:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
pigeon

garf wrote: 
unfortunately, i dont see a really good solution to this. any suggestions?

the only thing I can think of offhand is, make an option to allow people to puzzle unrated.

--p
--p

SOYLENT PIRATE IS WHIRLIGIGS
[Aug 1, 2003 9:35:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

I haven't done much puzzling lately, but I have noticed that what used to be an excellent rating is not... and the little indicator icons are still ucky. Example of this, yesterday I was sailing with the Lubbers during the wagering, and even when me indicator was full-blown gold with water sprayin out(or whatever that is supposed to be) for the ENTIRE league, I got a 'good' rating. *pout* However, during a training run with a cple of OiT's, my 'good' ratings upped my ratings. (note: Faile's ratings are fairly young yet, she doesn't get much work on puzzles, dangit)

Sooo... six of one, a half-dozen of the other.
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Aug 1, 2003 9:52:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

I know me wife, Zarhirra, be jest totally fed up with -- enough that she has mentioned that it makes it no fun to play now. She had gotten really good in carpentry, and now she has trouble with it. She is very frustrated.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Aug 1, 2003 1:16:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Skipper

I dunno if this has been fixed or not, but even an Excellent drops me down one whole rank... it does get kinda annoying when you do so well and yet your ranking still drops...
[Aug 1, 2003 3:20:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yoshi3gg

I think the really only truly annoying thing about the duty reports is when yer playin' the sailing puzzle. Yeh'll be about to pull off a nice combo that requires you to move the piece at just the right moment, a duty report will pop up, you'll lose your train of thought, and end up screwin' the whole thing up. Other than that, I don't have any problems with the duty reports.
~Shoshi
[Aug 1, 2003 5:47:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zahira

Since Penn took it on himself to speak for me, maybe I should speak for myself.
Before the changes I was glad to hear that they were going to change so that mates could not laze about get excellent ratings, yet not fix any damage to the ship. Well of course I didn't think these changes would effect my score because I never saw myself as lazy at carpentry.
I have never had a problem cleaning up the damage on a ship relatively quickly and carp was my favorite puzzle because it was not about speed but rather thought and art.
Now I can get 6 masterpieces and one craftmenship in relatively short amount of time and come back with a "fine". I am legendary and was close to ultimate I imagine because I truly can not understand how I have not gone back a rank with all the good and fine's I have recieved as of late.
The type of games that I enjoy take thought and strategy for ex. Trump card games (and yes I do count the cards), crossword puzzles, chess, etc.
The carpentry puzzle used to be about probability and statistics. And using them to give yourself the highest opportunity to create works of art. It took some thought and preplanning to give oneself the largest opportunities to obtain masterpieces. I really had this down and enjoyed playing carpentry fully, and considered myself a craftsmen.
Now to get high rank I have to be a click and drag robot obtaining mostly craftmenships with the occasional lucky masterpiece thrown in and that sparkly golden hammer will be going off. It is depressing for me that I will get excellents doing that and even got one icredible since the update, which before would have been just good. When I keep at a steady rate getting 3 out 4 blocks being masterpieces I will score a fine. This used to be an excellent or incredible.
Carpentry was the only puzzle I enjoyed because it allowed me and I am sure some others who do not fall into that classification of player; as a speed demon, massive hand eye cooridination, enjoy games such as tetris and the like I dont really know what they are because I never liked playing them, an opportunity to enjoy this game. There are more of us out there I do know that because people have been complaining to me about carpentry.
It just saddens me that the one puzzle that was not about being the fastest but instead the most proficient in using some good ole' brain grease is now ruined for the likes of me at least. And without Carp. there is not another puzzle in this game that I will ever excel at. I could practice 24/7 and would never catch up to the speed of the others players nor would I want to, it is just plain boring for me. And even though this is not a consideration it was the one puzzle that did not effect my carpel tunnel as badly.
I don't know what else to say except I have put alot of time and work into this game and truly love the crew and group of freinds that I have made, but somewhere it has to be about being able to play the game at least some of the time or it just becomes a chat room. And I can not go on a ship and enjoy myself anymore, except during the fights.
Captain of Hell Hath No Fury
Zarhirra
[Aug 2, 2003 3:51:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crowsdiamond

*applaudes* Thanks for sayin that Zar!! Me masterpieces were killin me, too. :)
~Faile
Once Captain of the Mighty PPA
Once Captain of the Falcon's Fury
Now Unretired and ready to KILL!!

Just point me to what you want dead, an' I'll kill it. Or die trying!
[Aug 2, 2003 6:08:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Crowsdiamond [Link]  Go to top 
Pan

I want to second (...or third, I guess) that remark about the duty reports during sailing. They drive me absolutely up the wall, especially since there's no telling when one will pop up, or how long it'll be there (sometimes we sit for a bit at a league point; other times we move on almost immediately). It's frustrating because, as Yoshi said, they interrupt your train of thought, as well as your timing. On more than one occasion I have been trying to delicately maneuver a piece into position, had the duty report come up, and completely flubbed it because I couldn't react in time when the game came back.

So yeah, duty reports can be extremely annoying during sailing. I haven't found them too bothersome during carp or bilging, though.

-Seabiscuit
Seabiscuit, Officer of the Yellow Jackets
[Aug 4, 2003 12:10:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    pandonkey [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Ummm . . . there's "no telling" when they are going to pop up? Well . . .ummm . . . I'm pretty sure they only come up at league points . . . which ye can see on yer screen . . . so maybe watch for those? And don't put a piece in a delicate position right as ye reach them?

I'm not trying to be super-sarcastic here, but a salty pirate frequently checks both halves of the screen during all duty puzzles (watching for alternate orders from the captain if sound is off), and watching for that league point when sailing; only navigation can be affected in a remotely similar way. Basically, you need to pay attention to the degree you do when doing a group swordfight.
[Aug 4, 2003 12:21:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Pan

I do try to keep an eye on the chat, but I'm afraid I can't concentrate on the puzzle /and/ keep an eye "out the window," so to speak, for the league points. Even when I'm trying to watch out for them, they just seem to sneak up on me. :)
Seabiscuit, Officer of the Yellow Jackets
[Aug 4, 2003 1:17:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    pandonkey [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I've noticed the same frustrations (and posted about it elsewhere). I just talked a bit about it with Peghead (who has had the thankless job of fiddling with the rating code) and have learned some things that seem contrary to what I had thought, and may help you all out in the time between now and the theoretical future where everybody is shown exactly what they want to see in ratings:

Your feedback indicator tells you your score as it applies tot he ship and to your rank. It is accurate.

Your duty report tells you your averaged score, which will always start with mediocrity because it factors those blank times before you score much.
This ramp up will not affect your rank.

So, scoring changes seem to have cycled back down The List, but will always hover around the top of it. Until they peek over the top again, remember these guidelines when you puzzle.

-Nemo
[Aug 4, 2003 2:08:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
triskaideka

Pan wrote: 
I do try to keep an eye on the chat, but I'm afraid I can't concentrate on the puzzle /and/ keep an eye "out the window," so to speak, for the league points. Even when I'm trying to watch out for them, they just seem to sneak up on me. :)

I think some unobtrusive (but still noticeable) advance warning as you're approaching league points or at least an island would be nice. More than once I've lost a potential masterpiece (or two) in carpentry even though I had the last piece ready and waiting, because I just couldn't move fast enough to place it when I saw the island appear in that little window.

Maybe a progress meter type of thing that indicates distance to the next stopping point, or a light somewhere in the puzzle area that illuminates when you're within a certain time or distance of one. Bonus points if it could turn different colors for approaching a league point vs. approaching an island.
[Aug 4, 2003 2:38:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

I do have to say that I prefer being able to talk in carp as opposed to not. Whichever way I look at it, it makes sense, and it's easier to boot, to downgrade your score by wasting time, but this doesn't feel right - if I chat on carp, it seems to have a greater effect than if I chat on sails.

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Aug 7, 2003 8:37:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tommy

The problem come in when you go out pillaging, and every fight resets your puzzle, especially sailing or nav where ramp up time is needed.

I was briefly ranked Ultimate in Navigation, but have suffered horribly from pillaging trips, where not getting the time to ramp up causes my rating to steadily decrease, even though I am fairly good at the task.
[Aug 7, 2003 8:41:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates