• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 243
Posts: 243   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 43352 times and has 242 replies Next Thread
Peanutswench

Bah Lovebug! - Win a Red Octo [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] Reply to this Post

Bah Lovebug - A Valentine's story event!

Click here to see winners!

I love a good love story... well and chocolate. What's more, I love a story about the holiday that encourages the mass consumption of both. So I bribed...er begged the gods to allow me to indulge myself and have all you good pirates spin me a tale of piratey love and epiphanies.

Event:
You must write an original short story of less than 1500 words. It should be your own twist on Scrooge or Grinch adapted for Valentines Day (A Christmas Carol or How the Grinch stole Christmas). In other words, this would be a story about a pirate who's a Valentines day naysayer, and throughout the plot would change their ways until they were a veritable cupid. It's up to you to figure out how that change comes about. Perhaps they find love, perhaps they are visited by the ghosts of Hallmark past, or perhaps they just ate too many candy hearts. No matter what, it must be piratey and have a character who learns to like something - anything - about the Valentine's Holiday.

Entries should be no more than 1500 words including your title. I will be using this word counter and this one. If your word count (not including name/ocean/prize selection) is less than or equal to 1500 on either, you will not be disqualified.

How to Enter: Post your entry in the Entry Thread. All entries not posted there will be disqualified. Please give it a title and be sure to include your pirate name and ocean in your entry post (n your signature is fine). Also include the order in which you prefer prizes, if different from the order they are listed below. If you do not list a different prize order, the one listed here will be used. Only one entry per player will be accepted.

The deadline for entries is 11:59PM game time on February 14th. All posts made in the Entry Thread or edited after that time will be disqualified.

If you prefer to initially compose your entry in a program other than your browser, I recommend using a plain text editor (such as Notepad) rather than a word processor like Word. Text copied from Word and pasted to the forums may have strange symbols put in place of things like apostrophes and quotes, causing your entry to look funny when it is posted.

Prizes:

• Red Octo - A real love bug!
  • Scarab - A little model of a love bug
  • Red/White Parrot Feather - For penning a wonderful tale
  • Bouquet of Red Roses - A must on Valentine's Day
  • Single Red Rose - Once again a must
  • White/Red Hankey - To wave at potential suitors
  • Maroon/Pink Fireplace - To cuddle up beside
  • Red/White Sofa - To cuddle up on

Honorable mentions will receive a violet vase with plant.

Judging:
The judging will be based primarily on the plot and style. However, grammar and spelling, character development, and entertainment value will also be important. It wont matter if you make it funny, sappy, or action packed. They're just looking for a well done and entertaining story fitting the event criteria.

Banner by Hedvvig
----------------------------------------
Peanutswench
------
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Apollo at Apr 25, 2008 12:29:02 AM]
[Jan 20, 2008 9:51:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fixated

Re: Bah Lovebug! - Win a Red Octo [Deadline Feb. 14th] Reply to this Post

I really really love this event. Kudos to the team of Polly and Peanutswench once again for creating new ways to entertain the ocean!
[Jan 20, 2008 10:09:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sainterz

Hawt event Nut. Im guessing no need to make a banner anymore?
Enjoy a Juicy Lamb Chop this Australia Week, I'm not Sam Kekovich

Cleaver Wrote:

The Giant Pie is the Biggest Pie in the Whole Tree.

Sainter- Event Co-Ordinator of Access Denied
[Jan 21, 2008 12:39:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://puzzlepirates.com    Sainterz12    Sainterz12    Sainterz12 [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

Hawt event Nut. Im guessing no need to make a banner anymore?

The banner event in Hunter Events is not associated with this event. That contest is still active and unchanged as we're still looking for a Frequent Flocktart Fun banner for the quickie event series we manage in Hunter Events... not our one off global events. If you have questions about that event mate, please go ahead and ask them in that thread so folks don't start wondering if I've lost my marbles. ;o)

.... And now back to my Valentines stories and candy heart eating!
Peanutswench
------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Peanutswench at Jan 21, 2008 1:22:53 AM]
[Jan 21, 2008 12:59:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sainterz

.... And now back to my Valentines stories and candy heart eating!

I second that!
Enjoy a Juicy Lamb Chop this Australia Week, I'm not Sam Kekovich

Cleaver Wrote:

The Giant Pie is the Biggest Pie in the Whole Tree.

Sainter- Event Co-Ordinator of Access Denied
[Jan 21, 2008 2:33:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://puzzlepirates.com    Sainterz12    Sainterz12    Sainterz12 [Link]  Go to top 
Ionakana

One can never write enough about pirate love.
[Jan 21, 2008 12:54:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
10percentoff

Must we adapt one of the stories mentioned, or is it permissable to adapt another traditional holiday tale, say Rudolph the Valentine's Reindeer?
Coupon/Panzah on Viridian (and elsewhere on occasion)
[Jan 23, 2008 3:29:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

Coupon wrote: 
Must we adapt one of the stories mentioned, or is it permissable to adapt another traditional holiday tale, say Rudolph the Valentine's Reindeer?

It's not a strict adaptation, but rather two examples of the theme we are looking for. So to answer your question, no. We're looking for a story that follows that general formula of someone going from disliking the holiday to liking it. Be creative under those constraints. :o)

A little more detail about what we're looking for...

The Event Post wrote: 
In other words, this would be a story about a pirate who's a Valentines day naysayer, and throughout the plot would change their ways until they were a veritable cupid. It's up to you to figure out how that change comes about. Perhaps they find love, perhaps they are visited by the ghosts of Hallmark past, or perhaps they just ate too many candy hearts. No matter what, it must be piratey and have a character who learns to like something - anything - about the Valentine's Holiday.

Peanutswench
------
[Jan 23, 2008 5:06:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

Either I'm really dense today, or it's not working. I tried the first word count link and pasted my story and hit submit, but no word count came up. Now, between the second link and the word count feature on Word- I'm about 50 words under the limit, but me the worry-wart wanted to be totally checked before I post. I'd hate to get disqualified over a technical issue! (say that first one gives a much different word value)
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Jan 25, 2008 11:41:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

Either I'm really dense today, or it's not working. I tried the first word count link and pasted my story and hit submit, but no word count came up. Now, between the second link and the word count feature on Word- I'm about 50 words under the limit, but me the worry-wart wanted to be totally checked before I post. I'd hate to get disqualified over a technical issue! (say that first one gives a much different word value)

If either one of them puts you under, you're just fine. I only listed two because one might stop working. So you should be just fine. :o)

Note: I went ahead and added a new link for the first option. Sweetie seems to have had an issue with that site too, so I found another.
Peanutswench
------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Peanutswench at Jan 25, 2008 12:23:41 PM]
[Jan 25, 2008 12:20:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

...sigh
1500 words won't even have a paragraph finished in my story.
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "but i wouldnt mind her as a gf i would just use the words"
Crip says, "sthu woman."
[Jan 25, 2008 3:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

...sigh
1500 words won't even have a paragraph finished in my story.

If you have a 1500 word paragraph, you might want to reconsider it and break that down into smaller paragraphs...
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Jan 26, 2008 8:09:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
redcoat333

K fixed it
[Edit 1 times, last edit by redcoat333 at Jan 26, 2008 9:20:30 AM]
[Jan 26, 2008 8:44:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StillMyst

The Event Post wrote: 
In other words, this would be a story about a pirate who's a Valentines day naysayer, and throughout the plot would change their ways until they were a veritable cupid. It's up to you to figure out how that change comes about. Perhaps they find love, perhaps they are visited by the ghosts of Hallmark past, or perhaps they just ate too many candy hearts. No matter what, it must be piratey and have a character who learns to like something - anything - about the Valentine's Holiday.

Bolding is mine - there's quite a bit of difference between the two. Is anywhere in that range okay?
Mogget / Midnight
Take my PoE, take my land
Take my brigs and frigates grand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sea from me...

[Jan 26, 2008 9:54:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
123casper321

Meh!!! Pirate love, yeugh! I only know of pirate hate.

Good event though :P
#################################
Damala tells you, "You're my hero and villain"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Devil has an ALT, her name be CROFT!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Evil Captain of Cruel Intentions!!
[Jan 26, 2008 10:04:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

Bolding is mine - there's quite a bit of difference between the two. Is anywhere in that range okay?

Yuppers. We're just looking for a story that has the character moving from hating the holiday to liking it. Be creative as to how much he likes it, as long as it's a very clear move in that direction.
Peanutswench
------
[Jan 26, 2008 10:17:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redcoat333

okay all the ? in my story are supposed to be"
[Jan 27, 2008 6:08:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

So go to your post, press the Edit button top left, and replace them all. It'll make it easier for the judges to appreciate your story if you do that.
[Jan 27, 2008 8:36:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

So go to your post, press the Edit button top left, and replace them all. It'll make it easier for the judges to appreciate your story if you do that.

Also, for folks who plan to enter who have not posted, if you compose your story in a plain text editor (like notepad) instead of a word processor (like Word, Word Perfect, etc.), you should be able to copy and paste your story into a forum post without having quotes and apostrophes turn into question marks.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jan 27, 2008 9:36:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Suzalilli

Also, for folks who plan to enter who have not posted, if you compose your story in a plain text editor (like notepad) instead of a word processor (like Word, Word Perfect, etc.), you should be able to copy and paste your story into a forum post without having quotes and apostrophes turn into question marks.

And writing it in Word, pasting it into Notepad and then pasting it onto the board doesn't cut it either. Hence the gazillion edits on my post.

P.S. We need smilies!
Suzalilli on Midnight
Captain of L'asskicking Lasses
Princess of Nova Scorpius

[Jan 27, 2008 1:22:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lie22

Whoawhoawhoa! The original post says:

Prizes:

• Red Octo - A real love bug!
  • Scarab - A little model of a love bug
  • Red/White Parrot Feather - For penning a wonderful tale
  • Bouquet of Red Roses - A must on Valentine's Day
  • Single Red Rose - Once again a must
  • White/Red Hankey - To wave at potential suitors
  • Maroon/Pink Fireplace - To cuddle up beside
  • Red/White Sofa - To cuddle up on

Honorable mentions will receive a violet vase with plant.

HOWEVER the Notice Board (in game on the events tab) says:

(All) Bah Lovebug-Win a monkey!

I'm guessing the actual prize is the Red Octo, but a monkey would be nice! *biggrin* you may want to change one or the other though...
Lie, sailing the Viridian since '06. Proud SO of Floruit ab Intra, Lady of Sailor's Delight.
[Jan 27, 2008 2:01:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Octopus is the actual prize. I'll see who I need to poke to change the in-game listing - thanks for spotting that!
[Jan 27, 2008 2:05:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

The actual prize is an octopus.

We planned carefully so that there would be different familiars given out in the various Valentine's events. Zomgrats! is giving a monkey, Happy Hallmark Holiday is giving a parrot, and this event is giving an octopus.

[edit]Sniped by Apollo! Those gods are fast.[/edit]
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Squashbuckle at Jan 27, 2008 5:50:33 PM]
[Jan 27, 2008 2:06:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Zoooooom!
[Jan 27, 2008 2:09:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lie22

Alright, thanks for the prompt responses!
Lie, sailing the Viridian since '06. Proud SO of Floruit ab Intra, Lady of Sailor's Delight.
[Jan 27, 2008 6:41:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madad

ok.. im not very good at writing short.. or storys under a cirtain story line... but this is pretty flexable, i think i can whip something up!
Madad on viridian
Senior Officer of Fade to Black
Lord of The Mighty Booch
madude on hunter
[Jan 29, 2008 12:04:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rolld20

but this is pretty flexable, i think i can whip something up!

Oooo, a Valentine's story featuring flexibility and whipping? Should be good...
Greyrat of Viridian
-------------

"The server is under heavy load due to calculating exactly how big of an idiot you are"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rolld20 at Jan 30, 2008 7:32:49 PM]
[Jan 30, 2008 7:29:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
andman

I wish I didn't hate writing events. Haha.
Iollipop!
ooh baby baby.
[Jan 30, 2008 7:46:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/thethoughtfuloblivion    hello4am [Link]  Go to top 
smackhead

Im just wondering, Im typing my post out into the news in one of the rooms in the mansion im in. If I copy it into microsoft word, spell check, then post it here, will it have loads of quetsion marks in place or the apostrophes, or not?

Im only asking as im not that good of a speller, and want to spell check before I post.

Edit: The things below here are jsut testing some of the tags so i can get thme right in my story.
Hi.
Hi.
Hi.
Hi.
Smackhead. Hunter.
Wandering from crew to crew.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by smackhead at Feb 1, 2008 7:04:23 AM]
[Feb 1, 2008 6:29:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

The mansion news is fairly irrelevent to this thread. Please ask that question in the Tips and Tricks forum (or just test it quickly yourself) so this thread doesn't get derailed.

Also, please try to avoid the use of special formatting in your entry post. People who mess around with font type, font size, color, etc. are less likely to be taken seriously by judges. Let your words speak for themselves and use special formatting sparingly, if at all. Italics for thoughts and the occasional emphasized word is common and appropriate special formatting, for instance, but characters can probably scream without giant, bold text. Fancy looking text won't make up for less skilled use of words.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Feb 1, 2008 7:20:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 243   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates