• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2038 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Puremonopoly

poker bluff Reply to this Post

how do you learn to bluff seriously i tried and did a good job but i dont know the fundamental i just only able to bluff againts crap players. tell them my hand stuff like that and win by good hands msot of the time and bet little then all in and reriase there bet by all in which might be risky how do you bluff?
----------------------------------------
GENERAL ENTERPRISE is recruiting all eager pirates to join a GREAT crew STRONG FUN AND FAIR send me a tell to join GENERAL ENTERPRISE.

GENERAL ENTERPRISE is paying reasonable amount of poe to all small crews who merge with General Enterprise.
[Jan 7, 2008 8:06:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gorath

Re: poker bluff Reply to this Post

You don’t need to know how to bluff, you need to know when to bluff.
Gorath
[Jan 7, 2008 8:23:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ihateEVAN

Bluffing is overrated.

Not saying its not an important part of poker, but if you bluff too much, you'll lose a lot in the long run.

Blufffing calling machines is a no no.

Bluffing tight players is tricky. If they tend to slow play their big hands then you can't be sure if they have a monster or nothing. If they're the type of player that bets their strength of their hand and never checks a big hand, it's a pretty good spot to bluff.

Just don't count on bluffing being the main source of winning.
Freak says, "To Earn Pieces Of Eight, type /Who, then see who the OM ison duty and then type/(OM name)(space) may I please have poe, those meanies on the poker tables won't give me any"
[Jan 7, 2008 11:06:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kotetsu534

I really only bluff in late position after the turn if betting has been slow since the flop. Chances are anyone slow playing would want to get some money in the pot at the turn if they realised no one was getting confident about their hand, and most people are just waiting to get out. Don't bluff huge either; half the pot or less is sufficient - you want to look as though you're encouraging people to bet, not fold. Also, there are enough idiots on YPP poker who will call ANYTHING regardless of their hand to make bluffing a waste of time usually. Better just to wait till you get a premium hand and make some easy money (so long as the flop isn't really dodgy).
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.
[Jan 8, 2008 12:00:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

You got to know when to hold them,
Know when to fold them,
Know when to walk away,
Know when to run.

Faulkston,
Kenny Rogers-ing it yet again
[Jan 8, 2008 12:17:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

how do you learn to bluff seriously i tried and did a good job but i dont know the fundamental i just only able to bluff againts crap players. tell them my hand stuff like that and win by good hands msot of the time and bet little then all in and reriase there bet by all in which might be risky how do you bluff?

There is almost never a good time to bluff in YPP Poker. Players are horrible and will call an all-in raise with middle pair. There are only two good times to bluff:

1. After the flop, you are in last position and everyone else has checked. Even then, it rarely pays off, so depending on the table I wait until after the turn and everyone has checked around to me twice.

2. You have nothing right now, but you're drawing to the nuts. This is called a semi-bluff. The semi-bluff is powerful because there are two ways you can win. You make everyone fold and win, or you get someone to call with a better hand but you get lucky and catch your card on the turn or river. You can't count on that happening very often, but when it does, it is hugely profitable not just for that hand but for later hands. Your opponents will think of you as a "lucker" and later on when you raise with a legitimate hand you'll get more callers.

Let me emphasize that you need to be drawing to the nuts. If there are three hearts on the board, then your open ended straight draw might be worth nothing. If you have the King of hearts, someone else might have the Ace of hearts so hitting your flush is going to cost you money, and a lot of it. A pair on the board is tricky. Someone could have a full house, but most of the time they don't. If you're not drawing to the nuts, your objective should be to see the remaining cards as cheaply as possible, not add more to the pot.

In general, bluffing is a powerful weapon but most people do it too much at first.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Jan 8, 2008 4:59:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rbbarker

Aenor wrote: 
There is almost never a good time to bluff in YPP Poker.

QFT
Baldo
now retired
[Jan 8, 2008 5:43:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Tirian_

1. After the flop, you are in last position and everyone else has checked.

A similar but even more powerful opportunity is when the river contains a pat hand (a straight, flush, or full house). If you are in the last seat and everyone has checked to you, then go all in. The only time I've seen psyched-out YPP poker players is when the river is 88333 and they are facing down someone who looks like he's got another eight in the pocket. You'll lose if anyone actually has a better hand, it sure takes guts to check from that position in hopes that someone will raise the pot for you.
Tirian on Viridian
[Jan 8, 2008 6:44:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

I don't bluff based on my hand. I bluff based on the other players.

I've been playing poker on YPP for at least a year now. You get to know quite a lot of the other "poker regulars". There are people I know I can bluff, and people I know are going to take all my money if I try to bluff them. I find bluffing rarely works on Free days, because I don't know a lot of the people. That bright-green player I've never seen before may in fact be very very good.

In real life poker you're playing the other people, not your hand. It's the same principle, sort of, it just takes longer to figure out a person's style when you've got no visual cues. Similarly, I'm sure people who play with me regularly know I don't bluff all that often - although I may chase something and catch a lucky river. Since I don't do it often, it's often effective when I do it. "Crap, Jenny raised, she's got to have the flush." ;)
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Jan 8, 2008 7:33:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Puremonopoly

wow thanks i got another question

ok 1 on 1

is it good to bluff on 1 on 1 poker 2k no limit when you know your opponent is really low on hands and cant really afford to take unncessary risk.
GENERAL ENTERPRISE is recruiting all eager pirates to join a GREAT crew STRONG FUN AND FAIR send me a tell to join GENERAL ENTERPRISE.

GENERAL ENTERPRISE is paying reasonable amount of poe to all small crews who merge with General Enterprise.
[Jan 8, 2008 7:33:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Puremonopoly

i mean is it good to bluff on 1 on 1 and your oppponent is really low on cash. so if they cant take risk on teh long run. so is it good to bluff to win most of theri cash on raise 2k befor flop and hope they fold each time getting 1k to 2k per hand and then when they riase you can just fold and when you get good ahnd and they riase you rerise double and hope they go all in and they i call.. so what do you think you only bluff when its 1 on 1 when you are high in money supply and your opponent is low on cash and needs to play super safe and only play preimum hand.

[Jan 8, 2008 7:35:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aenor

wow thanks i got another question

ok 1 on 1

is it good to bluff on 1 on 1 poker 2k no limit when you know your opponent is really low on hands and cant really afford to take unncessary risk.

Heads up poker is a completely different situation than a full table. Of course your bluffing percentage should go up. But be careful if he's short stacked compared to the blinds. He might have correct pot odds to call even with a mediocre hand, in which case you certainly don't want to be bluffing with nothing.

Here's the key: You should be bluffing more, but the size of your bluffs should be smaller compared to the size of the pot. When you're playing against a number of people, there's a good chance that at least one of them will be dumb enough or have a hand good enough to call a raise of less than half the pot. But against only one opponent, remember that most hands do not improve on the flop. Someone with a mediocre hand who still doesn't have a pair after the flop will have a tough time calling any size raise at all, so you don't need to be so aggressive.
Mat on the Meridian Ocean

Thank you to everyone who loves Blacksmithing!
[Jan 9, 2008 4:55:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CashCarStar

Telling others your cards (even if they're winners) and then showing them is not a very practical strategy, especially in YPP. The good bluff doesn't oversell itself.
Festrunk - Viridian
[Jan 9, 2008 12:18:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates