• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11888 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
mehearties

Shooting in seabattle Reply to this Post

How many shots does it take to fill a ship with damage? I always thought it was 6 shots (assuming you are fighting an equivalent ship), but during Whitefire's GF pillage, there was some argument as to whether it was 10 shots or various other number through to i think 24 for grand frigates.

While I will be running tests of my own to garner "concrete" information, I am interested in whether anyone yet knows the answer. I would like to compile a list of the following type

ship / small / medium / large

sloop 6 / 4? / 2?

cutter 6? / 4? / 2?

MB ? / ? / ?

WB ? / ? / ?

G ? / ? / ?

WF ? / ? / ?

GF ? / ? / ?

Note: where I talk about full damage, I am in fact referring to the number of shots to produce the "full damage" we see in the sword fight stage, as opposed to "full damage" leading to sinking in a war scenario. While for the latter a number could be produced, it would assume that there is either no carpentry, or ineffectual carpentry, which of course is pretty useless data.

I will edit this as and when I get information.
[Jun 12, 2004 6:43:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
Re: Shooting in seabattle Reply to this Post

I once put 70 small shot into a galleon. It gave it max damage but I'm sure I could have gotten away with less... So now you at least know that you dont need more than 70! :P
[Jun 12, 2004 10:03:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
mehearties

postcount ++ ?
[Jun 12, 2004 10:50:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

sloop 6 / 4 / 3

cutter 8 / 6 / 4

MB 12 / 8 / 6

WB 16 / 10 / 8

G 20 / 12 / 10

WF 24 / 16 / 12

GF 36 / 24 / 18

sloop 6 / 4 / 3

cutter 8 / 6 / 4

MB 12 / 8 / 6

WB 16 / 11 / 8

G 20 / 14 / 10

WF 24 / 16 / 12

GF 40 / 27 / 20

I may have the grand frigate a few cannonballs too high.

EDIT: numbers made up or extrapolated from the incorrect guess that mediums do twice as much as smalls. Re-extrapolating...

EDIT: changing the GF's numbers to reflect the 20-shot info.

EDIT: re-extrapolated, bolded all numbers that come from something other than extropolation/guessing. Old numbers in small print. I note that the numbers do not make sense.

EDIT: changing the GF's numbers to reflect the 18-shot info.
----------------------------------------
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Edit 8 times, last edit by RobertDonald at Jun 13, 2004 2:17:11 AM]
[Jun 13, 2004 2:17:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

RobertDonald wrote: 

sloop 6 / 3 / 2

cutter 8 / 4 / 3

MB 12 / 6 / 4

WB 16 / 8 / 6

G ? / ? / ?

WF ? / ? / ?

GF 72 / 36 / 24

I may have the grand frigate a few cannonballs too high.

You only got four of those numbers right.
[Jun 13, 2004 3:20:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SailinTony

If indeed Robert's numbers are correct, this is the type of thing to memorize... confirmation?
Long-dormant Sailintony , Midnight.
Actively Carlbert, Emerald.
[Jun 13, 2004 7:31:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pyrax

Well, I have a reasonable doubt that those numbers are right. Whitefire was only shooting the GF's with 20 large shot and they were indeed maxed.
Machiavelli, Senior Officer of Avalon Armada
[Jun 13, 2004 2:20:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

RobertDonald wrote: 

sloop 6 / 4 / 3
GF 44 / 33 / 22

On all the other numbers, the medium figure is about 2/3rds of the small. For the GF line, that ratio doesn't hold.

If 20 large does max a GF, then at these ratios it would be 40 small, or 27 medium. However, my memory is that Shuranthae only needed 18 (which would make it 36 / 24 / 18
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Jun 14, 2004 2:31:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

You guys suck at math. Getting closer though. =)
[Jun 14, 2004 6:04:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Will you confirm that it takes 18 large on a GF?

If it is 18 large on a GF, then is 36 (twice that) for small, and 24 (2/3rds of small) for medium?
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
[Jun 14, 2004 6:40:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

In response to a question, a collision between two sloops does half as much as a small cannonball hit. Collisions with rocks, in a sloop, do the same. Numbers for frigate-sloop collisions and such are hard to come by.

In sloop vs sloop and sloop vs cutter nav, I always count collisions as 0.5. So I often say things like 5.5 - 0.5, and max - 0.5
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Jun 22, 2004 3:35:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
withlyn

Collision damage with rocks/sides is completely independent of ship size, and so can't be exactly counted as half cannonball hits except with sloops (or in certain other specific cases).

In my experience, damage from ship-ship collisions is approximately the same as that from ship-rock collisions, but I haven't taken specific data on that. In specific, I am unsure whether there is a difference in damage from ramming/damage from being rammed, or if relative ship size has an effect, as one would assume it did.
Corby,
Quartermaster of The Fifth Fist of the Misfits
Lord of Tyr's Own
[Jun 24, 2004 8:19:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    g+baleen [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

G 20 / 12 / 10

In all other cases, the ratio from medium to large is 1.33333.

So, if 12 is a confirmed number, then the large should be 9, not 10.

This would put smalls at 18, not 20.
Hypnos wrote: 
[Jul 14, 2004 12:30:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

Someone asked me to update this, so off the cuff:

sloop 6 / 4 / 3

cutter 7.5 / 5 / 3

MB 12 / 8 / 5

WB 16 / 10 / 6

G 18 / 12 / 8

WF 30 / 20 / 12

GF 45 / 30 / 18

Note: 7.5 for a cutter means 7 smalls and a rock hit or small ship ram. Ramming into the rocks does half as much as a small cannonball does. A sloop being pushed by a brig does one small cannonball of damage. Data for large ship collisions not yet available. It is likely that 15.5 works for war brigs, 17.5 works for galleons, etc. due to rounding.
Quizzical wrote: 

[Edit 2 times, last edit by RobertDonald at Oct 24, 2004 7:18:37 AM]
[Oct 24, 2004 7:18:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Ramming a sloop with a war frigate does slightly more 2 lines of damage. I believe ramming a cutter does exactly 2 lines.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Oct 25, 2004 5:37:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

RobertDonald wrote: 

cutter 7.5 / 5 / 4
Note: 7.5 for a cutter means 7 smalls and a rock hit or small ship ram. Ramming into the rocks does half as much as a small cannonball does.

Damn. I saw this and, for a moment, I thought someone else had finally figured out how the Damage System works. But apparently not...
The Large Shot is wrong, and the explanation for the Small Shot is not the right one.
Edit: *smacks RD* And Merch Brigs take the same damage from Small Shot as it does from Rocks, hence why you have 11.5 there. You could also say it takes zero shots and 12 rocks though. =P
[Oct 25, 2004 5:41:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

The WF ratio is wrong. It's 18 mediums to max a WF.
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Nov 19, 2004 11:47:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Smackey wrote: 

That looks wrong too. *giggles*
[Nov 20, 2004 2:31:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

Shuranthae, any reason why you don't just TELL people?
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Nov 20, 2004 3:13:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

So I can go like this:

Uwe he he!

Okay, it's been a while so I'll add something useful.

Rocks do the same damage as three small cannonballs to Merchant Galleons.

Edit: Actually looking at the math again, it's plausible that a WF could only take 18 meds to max them. I guess I deserve that for trying to do it in my head instead of breaking out a calculator right away. Just seems more likely that it'd take 20. Someone wanna test this?
[Nov 20, 2004 3:30:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cowdarse

Battling Reply to this Post

WOW! ... really impressed with all that knowledge about how many whatevers it takes to max-damage vessels various.
My query is much more prosaic. When ye enter battle mode ... whether attacking or being attacked, who goes first and what's the sequence of turns when the battle starts?
[Nov 20, 2004 6:01:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

There aren't turns. You lay your four or less moves, and they lay four or less moves, and then the moves are played out at the same time. If your move and theirs would bring you into the same square, there's a collision, the result of which depends on angle of impact and relative ship size.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Nov 20, 2004 6:13:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
WhoIsYou

Shuranthae wrote: 

In other words, all ships, regardless of size, receive 3 blocks of damage from both small and large rocks.

Shuranthae wrote: 
Actually looking at the math again, it's plausible that a WF could only take 18 meds to max them. I guess I deserve that for trying to do it in my head instead of breaking out a calculator right away. Just seems more likely that it'd take 20. Someone wanna test this?

18 medium cannonballs are required to max damage a wae firgate. The first ball does 1 block, all the rest do two.
WhoIsYou
- Scurviest dog in the sea (Could ye spare an orange?)
[Nov 20, 2004 12:08:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

WhoIsYou wrote: 
Shuranthae wrote: 

In other words, all ships, regardless of size, receive 3 blocks of damage from both small and large rocks.

Bah, little hints at a time! I'm still hopeful someone else will figure out the system.
WhoIsYou wrote: 
Shuranthae wrote: 
Actually looking at the math again, it's plausible that a WF could only take 18 meds to max them. I guess I deserve that for trying to do it in my head instead of breaking out a calculator right away. Just seems more likely that it'd take 20. Someone wanna test this?

18 medium cannonballs are required to max damage a wae firgate. The first ball does 1 block, all the rest do two.

But that only adds up to 35? *grins*
Seriously though, you sure about that? It should be two blocks per medium cb...
From what I've seen the game has some odd rounding calculations. Though I've been trying to figure out the rounding crap for some time, from what I remember with small cbs and Cutters it just makes no freaking sense. My memory is probably wrong though, I really need to test this crap out sometime...
[Nov 20, 2004 2:46:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Shuranthae wrote: 
Smackey wrote: 

So I was right for once.

Go me!
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Nov 21, 2004 3:03:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WhoIsYou

Eh, so I can't multiply. But I am sure that the first ball does only one block of damage.
WhoIsYou
- Scurviest dog in the sea (Could ye spare an orange?)
[Nov 21, 2004 3:29:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Smackey wrote: 
Shuranthae wrote: 
Smackey wrote: 

So I was right for once.

Go me!

Hehe, yeah. Makes me feel better about GFs though (but not by much). I think I would have preferred it if WFs only had 400 HP like everyone originally thought.
[Nov 21, 2004 3:45:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

[derail]
Shuranthae wrote: 
So I can go like this:

Uwe he he!

You just completely runing FF6 for me Everytime I hear Dancing Mad you pop into my head. You just made it worse. BAH!

[/derail]
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Dec 26, 2004 10:47:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Pfft, it looked like it took 20 to Max a WF to me yesterday.
[Dec 27, 2004 2:48:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Oh, someone linked this today so I just remembered. *smacks Buri around* It was 20 you bastard! I knew the math was wrong for 18. =P
[Jan 21, 2005 3:14:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates