• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  


Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6983 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
Zeuis

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Posts: 107
Status: Offline
Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

What is up with Ice Wars blockading Oubliette Island on Christmas eve AND Boxing day! It's a miracle they didn't drop on Christmas day!

I think that the only reason they dropped on these islands when they did is because they thought that we would not be around to defend. Therefore meaning they are affraid to fight us in a fair fight?

As for the Christmas eve drop Timberland said it was a mistake to blockade the island, but im sorry, it is impossible to accidently blockade an island as it asks you to make sure at least twice.

Also blockades are impossible to scedual on the production oceans these weekends.. maby for a reason?
----------------------------------------
Johanson wrote:
 
Age: Old enough to know how to do it and young enough to do it all night.

Zeuis, Princess of SoS.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Zeuis at Dec 25, 2007 3:27:37 PM]
[Dec 25, 2007 3:24:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vilnius1



Joined: Dec 10, 2007
Posts: 135
Status: Offline

Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

Ice isn't a production ocean, stop whining about your islands. Seriously, play a "real" ocean if you are so concerned about the island holding/blockade game.
[Dec 25, 2007 5:21:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soveruin

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 8, 2005
Posts: 556
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
Ice isn't a production ocean, stop whining about your islands. Seriously, play a "real" ocean if you are so concerned about the island holding/blockade game.


Sorry, but I have to agree with Zeuis. Blockading on those dates was unfair and unkind. If Ice Wars wants an Island, it should get one fair and square, when the competition can show up without losing quality time in RL. If Timberland is sorry, then i'd take his word, but I still think that Ice Wars seriously needs to rethink its priorities on Ice, as all this blockading is wasting stock in an already dim market situation.
----------------------------------------
~Ols
[Dec 26, 2007 2:37:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zeuis

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Posts: 107
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
Ice isn't a production ocean, stop whining about your islands. Seriously, play a "real" ocean if you are so concerned about the island holding/blockade game.


No its not a production ocean.. but how are we ment to test when they drop on hollidays?
----------------------------------------
Johanson wrote:
 
Age: Old enough to know how to do it and young enough to do it all night.

Zeuis, Princess of SoS.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Zeuis at Dec 26, 2007 3:03:39 AM]
[Dec 26, 2007 3:01:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinbad

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 1, 2005
Posts: 624
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

Last time this flavor of tart came up it was put forth that the blockade window closes due to OM coverage and not due to player family time.

Maybe he is Muslim/Jewish/Buddhist/Taoist/Hindu/<<additional religions>>/atheist and Christmas is just another day to him.
----------------------------------------
A Nefarious Miscreant
It's not an Avatar, it's an AvaTart
Truvie wrote: 
Just remember...Ignorance can be cured with education. Stupid is forever!

[Dec 26, 2007 6:43:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
char

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jan 4, 2004
Posts: 1544
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

And plus it's Oubliette... You can blockade it any day of the week for a reason... You probably lose money by just owning it. Since you can't blockade any *real* islands on either of those 2 days, not really something to complain about...
----------------------------------------
Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Dec 26, 2007 10:29:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lanndser

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 1, 2006
Posts: 1472
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
Last time this flavor of tart came up it was put forth that the blockade window closes due to OM coverage and not due to player family time.

Maybe he is Muslim/Jewish/Buddhist/Taoist/Hindu/<<additional religions>>/atheist and Christmas is just another day to him.


Oooooh. That makes it so much better. He should know that noone in Zeuis' flag would be around. He should know that Christmas is a major enough religion so that Zeuis wouldn't be there to defend.


Low man, low.
-Iceship
----------------------------------------
Ship on Sage
[Dec 30, 2007 8:18:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 2, 2003
Posts: 1997
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

Oh, for the love of Cleaver! It's Ice. Who cares who owns Oubliette? The island can be blockaded at any time, and the controlling flag can't build new buildings. There are neither shoppes nor stalls on Oubliette, so it doesn't matter what the tax rate is.

The only interesting powers a flag has over Oubliette are being able to change the Notice Board, the shoppe news at the fort and the manor, and the ability to place to pets.

In other words, what the heck are you all complaining about?
----------------------------------------
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Dec 30, 2007 8:28:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lanndser

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 1, 2006
Posts: 1472
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
Oh, for the love of Cleaver! It's Ice. Who cares who owns Oubliette? The island can be blockaded at any time, and the controlling flag can't build new buildings. There are neither shoppes nor stalls on Oubliette, so it doesn't matter what the tax rate is.

The only interesting powers a flag has over Oubliette are being able to change the Notice Board, the shoppe news at the fort and the manor, and the ability to place to pets.

In other words, what the heck are you all complaining about?



Isn't it the principal?
----------------------------------------
Ship on Sage
[Dec 30, 2007 8:35:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
char

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jan 4, 2004
Posts: 1544
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
 
Oh, for the love of Cleaver! It's Ice. Who cares who owns Oubliette? The island can be blockaded at any time, and the controlling flag can't build new buildings. There are neither shoppes nor stalls on Oubliette, so it doesn't matter what the tax rate is.

The only interesting powers a flag has over Oubliette are being able to change the Notice Board, the shoppe news at the fort and the manor, and the ability to place to pets.

In other words, what the heck are you all complaining about?



Isn't it the principal?


It shouldn't be... If he's doing it on purpose (which I would assume he is) you are just giving him attention he doesn't deserve. Him winning would probably be punishment enough... He would have to control Oubliette... Anyway, can you blockade ANY regular islands on that day? No. It's not like he's setting a precedent.
----------------------------------------
Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Dec 30, 2007 8:41:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 2, 2003
Posts: 1997
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

Iceship wrote: 
Isn't it the principal?

I just know I'm going to regret asking, but what, exactly, is this principle you're referring to? If it's so important, you should be able to articulate it, right?
----------------------------------------
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Barrister at Dec 30, 2007 10:26:21 PM]
[Dec 30, 2007 10:25:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lanndser

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 1, 2006
Posts: 1472
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
Iceship wrote: 
Isn't it the principal?

I just know I'm going to regret asking, but what, exactly, is this principle you're referring to? If it's so important, you should be able to articulate it, right?



It's the principal that you don't attack someone who won't be there to defend . That is a cheap shot as far as I'm concerned. That is the principal
----------------------------------------
Ship on Sage
[Dec 30, 2007 10:31:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 23, 2004
Posts: 6123
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

More islands have been lost on production oceans because they were blockaded when the majority of the defending flag would NOT BE AROUND than I care to remember. Take Olive on Viridian. MdM only lost that because it was blockaded on the weekend of the 4th of July, more than half the flag was away for the weekend, it was my birthday so I really wasn't interested in being tied to a computer for the day and ew lost it.

Get over it, it's ICE.
----------------------------------------
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Jan 1, 2008 4:31:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
InfamyScream

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 20, 2007
Posts: 137
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
Oh, for the love of Cleaver! It's Ice. Who cares who owns Oubliette? The island can be blockaded at any time, and the controlling flag can't build new buildings. There are neither shoppes nor stalls on Oubliette, so it doesn't matter what the tax rate is.


but but...I like the notice board.... =( dropping during a holiday is a low blow no matter what ocean it's on. However that's the price people pay on their oceans (yes ice included) if you so choose to go for, hold, an island.
----------------------------------------
~Infamy~
I'm on your Ocean, Stealing your blockade jobs.


Av by Mavacagare
[Jan 2, 2008 4:04:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phour

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 12, 2006
Posts: 952
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

I keep hearing "It's Ice, who cares?!" - People still put their time and energy into the game on Ice the same as any other ocean. Just because it's not a production ocean doesn't make it mean less. It's just different. Personally, I'd be happy governing any island, no matter the ocean. Except Opal because I'm Jewish and I would totally feel weird.

I dunno why people think that it doesn't matter because it's Ice. It's still something they worked for.

Phour (who loves randomly throwing her two cents in when nobody asked for it)
----------------------------------------
Familiar on Cobalt
[Jan 2, 2008 4:11:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    lyndi6384 [Link]  Go to top 
InfamyScream

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 20, 2007
Posts: 137
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
I keep hearing "It's Ice, who cares?!" - People still put their time and energy into the game on Ice the same as any other ocean. Just because it's not a production ocean doesn't make it mean less. It's just different. Personally, I'd be happy governing any island, no matter the ocean.


Personally I like Ice Ocean. I enjoy testing new things and getting diffrent idea's from people there. But I can also understand a fustration in blockade's during the holidays. Although yes i'll admit i'm guilty of doing the same thing. I didnt drop cause it was a holiday though...I dropped cause someone pissed me off. It just happened to be on Thanksgiving.

I don't think the issue is that it's "only ice" I think it's more that it's just not very kind to ruin someone's holiday. Although I do enjoy revenge.

 
Except Opal because I'm Jewish and I would totally feel weird.
LMAO!
----------------------------------------
~Infamy~
I'm on your Ocean, Stealing your blockade jobs.


Av by Mavacagare
[Jan 2, 2008 4:22:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 24, 2004
Posts: 7984
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 

It's the principal that you don't attack someone who won't be there to defend . That is a cheap shot as far as I'm concerned. That is the principal


Bloody Pirates, eh?
----------------------------------------
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Jan 3, 2008 1:08:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lanndser

Member's Avatar


Joined: Sep 1, 2006
Posts: 1472
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
 

It's the principal that you don't attack someone who won't be there to defend . That is a cheap shot as far as I'm concerned. That is the principal


Bloody Pirates, eh?


Indeed, bloody pirates who move a ship by clearing platforms and who own furnishers. Fearsome.
----------------------------------------
Ship on Sage
[Jan 3, 2008 12:37:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 2, 2003
Posts: 1997
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

Phour wrote: 
People still put their time and energy into the game on Ice the same as any other ocean.

This is what I, and others, object to. You're treating Ice like you'd treat Midnight or Viridian. But it's not the same. Things can and will happen on Ice that will totally disrupt the economy, the puzzles, and, frankly, even your ability to log in.

What happens when Ice has an unrecoverable bug that causes people to lose all their PoE? Will you complain about the unfairness of it all?
----------------------------------------
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Jan 3, 2008 1:41:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 7, 2003
Posts: 1191
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

Barrister wrote: 
What happens when Ice has an unrecoverable bug that causes people to lose all their PoE? Will you complain about the unfairness of it all?

That would be totally awesome. Many of us have been asking for an ocean wipe for a looooonnng time now... although, I admit, I would miss my Crookshankses.

In fact, we've asked for periodic wipes, but apparently, the devs know what they're doing by not giving in to our whines.
----------------------------------------
Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Jan 3, 2008 3:44:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
Zeuis

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Posts: 107
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
Phour wrote: 
People still put their time and energy into the game on Ice the same as any other ocean.

This is what I, and others, object to. You're treating Ice like you'd treat Midnight or Viridian. But it's not the same. Things can and will happen on Ice that will totally disrupt the economy, the puzzles, and, frankly, even your ability to log in.

What happens when Ice has an unrecoverable bug that causes people to lose all their PoE? Will you complain about the unfairness of it all?


But isn't this abit off the point from what the thread was about. That is a flag blockading on a holliday not what ocean it was on.
----------------------------------------
Johanson wrote:
 
Age: Old enough to know how to do it and young enough to do it all night.

Zeuis, Princess of SoS.
[Jan 3, 2008 3:49:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barrister

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 2, 2003
Posts: 1997
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

Zeuis wrote: 
But isn't this abit off the point from what the thread was about. That is a flag blockading on a holliday not what ocean it was on.

It's only "off the point" if you believe that Ice should be treated identically to the other oceans. I don't.
----------------------------------------
Barrister
- YPPedia Administrator
- Looterati
[Jan 3, 2008 6:20:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phour

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 12, 2006
Posts: 952
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

I never once said they were identical or should be treated as such. I simply stated that the effort people put into Ice is just as worthy as that put into production oceans. It's your time and work - it has a value, whether you spend it on Ice or Viridian. "It's Ice, it doesn't matter" is crap. If Ice didn't matter, we wouldn't have it. It may get wiped some day, but that's a risk you agreed to when you started playing. Who is to say Cobalt won't get wiped some day? I don't see how it matters which ocean it is, nobody wants to lose something they invested their time/money/energy into.

Respect for your fellow pirates belong on ALL oceans, not just production oceans.
----------------------------------------
Familiar on Cobalt
[Jan 4, 2008 2:13:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    lyndi6384 [Link]  Go to top 
Zeuis

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 25, 2007
Posts: 107
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
Zeuis wrote: 
But isn't this abit off the point from what the thread was about. That is a flag blockading on a holliday not what ocean it was on.

It's only "off the point" if you believe that Ice should be treated identically to the other oceans. I don't.


It is off the point because that is not what the thread is about.
----------------------------------------
Johanson wrote:
 
Age: Old enough to know how to do it and young enough to do it all night.

Zeuis, Princess of SoS.
[Jan 4, 2008 9:00:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 29, 2004
Posts: 7641
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

Phour, you're warned you likely will lose it on ICE. From the beginning ICE mates were warned ICE was subject to wiping for any reason or no reason at all. It's not a production ocean. It will have bugs and should not expect employee support time. Things typically don't get "fixed" over there if there is a booch. Why? It isn't a production ocean, you're intended to suck it up and drive on. It should have a big window on log in reminding folks of this, because lately, they've begun to expect certain support on an ocean that doesn't earn enough income to pay for that support.

As for earning? If you compare and contrast what it takes to win a blockade on ICE to other production oceans, no...I can't say it's been earned. It's not even 1/50th the effort, yet folks are treating it as if it is.

So, they forgot to turn off blockades on ICE during the holiday. That's exactly why you're not supposed to treat it as a production ocean. It's going to get forgotten, and it's going to get booched, and you're going to lose stuff that won't be replaced. Even more so than on production oceans. You should expect errors and mistakes to be the default setting on ICE.
----------------------------------------
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Jan 5, 2008 10:53:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer
Member's Avatar


Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posts: 1626
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
So, they forgot to turn off blockades on ICE during the holiday.

I wouldn't say it was forgotten. While I can't swear that somebody conciously ignored ice, the fact is it's not a production ocean, it's not supported like a production ocean, and therefore it doesn't get treated the same way. Much the same way regular weekday blockade blackouts are handled differently on ice, holiday blockade blackouts are handled differently.

lsland ownership on ice is a completely different beast than on production oceans. The dynamics of the ocean are different. As has been said, anything and everything could very well break or go away at any minute either dilberately or due to a bug. Support levels provided for ice are completely different than other oceans; no OM is going to wake me up in the middle of the night because ice has crashed.

Now can we please let this incessant squabbling die?
[Jan 5, 2008 11:04:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sashamorning

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 3634
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
 
Zeuis wrote: 
But isn't this abit off the point from what the thread was about. That is a flag blockading on a holliday not what ocean it was on.

It's only "off the point" if you believe that Ice should be treated identically to the other oceans. I don't.

It is off the point because that is not what the thread is about.

The point of this thread is about as reasonable as saying that no flag should be able to drop a chest at 8AM PT (or thereabouts) on Saturday... because the defending flag has church on Sunday. If we're going to be making a fuss about holidays, why not actual holy days? (Because we're keeping religion out of the game, that's why.)

I do know drops that were scheduled for precisely this reason, and on production oceans. Generally they have to scramble to find ally coverage. Based upon the principle of your argument, would you agree that such drops are also wrong? Should we limit the drop window to noon Friday to midnight Friday?

Circumstances will change. Islands will fall. The sun will still rise tomorrow. You can choose to not defend at all, and then drop on them right back at a time more convenient to you. Move along now.

~Sasha

Edit: Oops, sniped by Ceph, and it wasn't even close.
----------------------------------------
Sashamorning - Fiery-haired, fiery-tempered, 100% me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shakespeare wrote: 
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sashamorning at Jan 6, 2008 12:28:40 AM]
[Jan 6, 2008 12:28:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
InfamyScream

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 20, 2007
Posts: 137
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
The point of this thread is about as reasonable as saying that no flag should be able to drop a chest at 8AM PT (or thereabouts) on Saturday... because the defending flag has church on Sunday. If we're going to be making a fuss about holidays, why not actual holy days? (Because we're keeping religion out of the game, that's why.)


sooo does that mean because i'm Pagan that your rule wouldn't apply to me?
----------------------------------------
~Infamy~
I'm on your Ocean, Stealing your blockade jobs.


Av by Mavacagare
[Jan 6, 2008 6:55:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sashamorning

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 3634
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
 
The point of this thread is about as reasonable as saying that no flag should be able to drop a chest at 8AM PT (or thereabouts) on Saturday... because the defending flag has church on Sunday. If we're going to be making a fuss about holidays, why not actual holy days? (Because we're keeping religion out of the game, that's why.)

sooo does that mean because i'm Pagan that your rule wouldn't apply to me?

Oh goodness, no. Actually I decided not to include my laundry list of other holidays that I thought we should consider for skipping as well, including Beltaine, Yule, Litha, Samhain... then we could add Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah, Vesak, clear the month of Ramadan, etc, etc...

I just thought that listing all of it was overkill, and figured I'd made my point well enough without going into that detail.

~Sasha
----------------------------------------
Sashamorning - Fiery-haired, fiery-tempered, 100% me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shakespeare wrote: 
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

[Jan 6, 2008 7:27:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer
Member's Avatar


Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posts: 1626
Status: Offline
Re: Ice Wars.... Total greenies?

 
Now can we please let this incessant squabbling die?

Apparently not. Locking this thread. Don't make a new one.
[Jan 6, 2008 1:22:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates