• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 74
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24770 times and has 73 replies Next Thread
fcsdiscovery

Mail System? Reply to this Post

Is there any way would could have some sort of mail system? This way we could send message to our fellow pirates and have them be read as soon as they logon? Could even be a new business, charge 1 or 2 peo to send the message or something. A post office if you will.

Sorry if this has already been brought up.
----------------------------------------
Mr. Pepsi - Senior Officer of the Yellow-Jackets
[Jul 15, 2003 1:28:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fcsdiscovery

Re: Mail System? Reply to this Post

Just a thought, we could also use it to petition the heads of the flags for changes to the system, a while new more democratic way of solving disputes.

Just my 2 cents...
[Jul 15, 2003 1:31:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

I probably said this somewhere before, but now that we have shops I think that'd be a neat idea: a pirate post office, working much the same way as the bank.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jul 15, 2003 1:41:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I think it would be kinda neat. Any ideas for names?

Postal Pirates? Strongboxes Etc.? Ball & Chain Mail?
[Jul 15, 2003 2:40:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

An actual, physical structure would probably be useless, but some in-game post within a flag or crew should be nice. That way those who abuse it can be removed from the system. I believe it may even be on The List.
Pirates with their own structures (shoppes, houses, etc.) might be able to receive personal mail at those structures. If so, it should certainly have a toggleable block list or admit list (depending on your perception of the state of your glass of median water level).

-Nemo
[Jul 15, 2003 3:23:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

/who crew Reply to this Post

Not worthy of a topic of its own, but only vaguely related really...will it be possible to /who crewname at any time?

I sometimes see ships in harbour with a new or splinter crew, but there's no-one on board when I /who, so I can't see if I want to invite them to join a flag. Or if I am looking for a member of a particular crew but don't recognise any of the names playing at that time, I have to go through each name I don't know to see which crew they belong to.
[Jul 15, 2003 3:53:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Email and /who Reply to this Post

Email: there's some sort of rule about every application expanding until it has an email client. PP will doubtless be no exception, but it's a ways down the list I reckon.

/who: I like the idea of /who crewname and also /who crews to see who is in what crew. /who probably does deserve it's own topic at some point.
[Jul 15, 2003 4:58:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Paranoid, me? You'd think I had enemies to run from! Reply to this Post

Am I the only pirate here who continually* refreshes thier /who list, even while talking to the people I sought?

*- [size=9]Well, not quite that often. But when I notice it expire, at any rate. I guess I just like to keep tabs on who's on.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 15, 2003 6:52:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Walrus

I believe the saying goes...

Law of Software Development
Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.
-- Jamie Zawinski

harrharrharr!
[Jul 16, 2003 12:07:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Nemo wrote: 
An actual, physical structure would probably be useless, but some in-game post within a flag or crew should be nice. That way those who abuse it can be removed from the system. I believe it may even be on The List.

I'm not sure I follow. So no general-purpose p-mail (hee!), but some kind of message board within a flag or crew? Is that what you're saying?

Hmm. It's useful, and it would go well, provided there was some kind of postal service as well. A message board would be used for announcement and so forth, wheras p-mail might be used for interperson communications.

Yes, there's that problem with spam... but there's always problems with spam. At least within the Y!PP system it'd be almost impossible to spoof.

Mind, I don't think many of us want an email-like architecture. Keeping the whole thing in-game does remove some avenue of abuse without consequence.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Sep 27, 2003 10:46:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fcsdiscovery

I was thinking something along the lines of Animal Crossing, or the private messages in a forum. Just something slick and easy.

Though as a hardware/networking guy, I'm sure I'm oblivious to the weeks worth of code involved in making such an "easy" thing. :)
[Sep 28, 2003 4:34:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bipoha

Post Offices would rule. Reply to this Post

fcsdiscovery wrote: 
I was thinking something along the lines of Animal Crossing, or the private messages in a forum. Just something slick and easy.

Though as a hardware/networking guy, I'm sure I'm oblivious to the weeks worth of code involved in making such an "easy" thing. :)

Exactly my thought. I was thinking of something along the lines of
Animal Crossing. The ability to send notes or items to pirates on different
islands (or arch's) would be spectacular. For example, if an officer took
a ship out, and had to leave it at a different island...it'd be really slick to
be able to post something saying so. As an officer, I wasn't able to post
messages on the crew "Issues", so it would have come in handy.

A postal system would go very well in this ever-evolving game.

--Ryoko
Got Dandruff? Some of it itches!
[Oct 21, 2003 3:19:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.monster.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
quiglin

I agree with the pm idea ... not necessarily e-mail.
It would be especially helpful for those of us who's crew is on the other side of the world...I am the only US officer we have, and sometimes wish I could leave my captain a message who is 13 hours ahead of me.

Just something along the lines of:

/msg quiglin hey, quiglin, just wanted to let you know you are the greatest!

I know it's not the easiest enhancement to put in, but it'll be easier than a forum or Piratey-mail...
[Oct 21, 2003 7:17:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.quiglin.com    bquiglin    bquiglin [Link]  Go to top 
Bladen

I'm thinking "carrier pigeon". When you want to send a message to someone who's not online, you can send out a carrier pigeon, that would arrive when they log on next.

i.e. You've sent off a carrier pigeon to find Bladen and deliver your message

or: The ocean winds have guided a carrier pigeon to you, bearing a message from Bladen

It would, obviously, just be a system of leaving a post for that person the next time they log on, but with a piratey twist to it.
[Oct 22, 2003 5:58:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaboom

From my understanding, around the times PP is set, ships would carry mail as a courtesy. Ships which met in routeo n long voyages would even stop and exchange mail. Letters could travel all over the world, but eventually would catch up with the person it was addressed with. I think if a mail service was implemented, costing a few poe per message, the navy ships could be couriers. The postage fee would go to the governor to subsidize the costs of the navy (although a sales tax has been implemented that makes that kinda a moot point). Whenever navy ships passed each other, they could exchange mail, if it meant a shorter route to the proper destination. It is a lot of work for what seems to be little gain, but there are some benefits.

-Encourages a strong and well run navy.
-Helps pay for the navy, and gives it a purpose
-The time required for delivery keeps it from being used where /msgs are practical
-Allows messages to be sent without interrupting the player, and read at his leisure

It''s probably far to complicated to ever make it in the game, but I think it would be a cool addition.
[Oct 22, 2003 1:40:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KoshMom

homullus wrote: 
I think it would be kinda neat. Any ideas for names?

Postal Pirates? Strongboxes Etc.? Ball & Chain Mail?

Perhaps "Passenger Pigeon Postage"?

When people log in, next to News and Issues, there's a "Pigeon Droppings" button, where people can send mail to you. Things like "your cloth order is finished", "reminder that your order will become abandoned soon", or "When are we both likely to be online to discuss an alliance between our two flags"?
Avasta, Past Governor of Namath, captain of Ye Hardy Mates, of the flag RIOT
[May 24, 2004 3:14:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starduster

i think the mail system or post officer would be a great idea do to the fact when somebodys not on and you need to talk to them you can write them a mail and they can read it when they get on so you 2 can set a date to get on and talk to each other i also might say since like in real life you have to pay for your stamps and stuff make that a new sell item.
[Feb 20, 2006 6:41:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starduster

i think a mail box at each island would be the easiest way kinda like in world of warcraft to where when you log in it says you have unread mail and you can just go to a mailbox and take it out to read it and to send just go out and buy a envolpe and send you friends a mail so you can talk when not on.
[Feb 20, 2006 6:46:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Please note the bump.

Faulkston,
thrown clear
[Feb 20, 2006 9:10:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
lucashp

Is there any way would could have some sort of mail system? This way we could send message to our fellow pirates and have them be read as soon as they logon? Could even be a new business, charge 1 or 2 peo to send the message or something. A post office if you will.

I actully had an idea, Furnisher Mailboxes!

Any ones that in the house can put click on the mailbox, you type what ever, and it says to who, you choose one of the owner or rommate, and only who ever you send to can look in it, When You get mail, It will say "You have 158 messages!"

Not actully 158 messages, But what ever you have... That would be crazy.. that much...
[Feb 21, 2006 1:57:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

I actully had an idea, Furnisher Mailboxes!

Any ones that in the house can put click on the mailbox, you type what ever, and it says to who, you choose one of the owner or rommate, and only who ever you send to can look in it, When You get mail, It will say "You have 158 messages!"

Not actully 158 messages, But what ever you have... That would be crazy.. that much...

Perhaps an expansion on this idea, Sending mail by island:

First you would go to the palace shop and buy an envelope, with the envelope you could write a message then at the top it says to and you put the pirate name. If they have a mail box (or perhaps they could be issued free) then the message will send. A ship in search money could pick up a mail package and it would use up hold space. From there the mail could be shipped to the island and the shipper could be paid depending on how far it was away and how long it took to get there. My only problem I see is that people could easilly pick up mail and not get it to its destination. This is why I think depending on the distance after 2 days (or maybe somthing like 2 hours a league point) it automatically gets sent to the pirate and the mailer wont get paid for it.

As for multiple houses it would be sent to the closest house.

Also the price of a letter could be determined by the govener.

Somthing like this would go into play for a distance of 8 league points:

1 hour = 100% of what the payment to send the letter was
1 1/2 hours = 80% of the original payment for the letter was
3 hours = 60% of the original payment
10 hours = 40 % original payment
1 Day = 30 % of the original payment
32 hours = 10 % of the original payment
2 days = 5% to nothing.

Goveners wanting trade in there port might raise prices but would have to be careful not to raise to high or buyers wouldn't buy from there island. Also the percentage that doesnt get paid goes as a poe sink.

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Edit 1 times, last edit by zim_was_here at Feb 21, 2006 7:42:17 AM]
[Feb 21, 2006 7:36:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Just to tack on an idea that just occurred to me. When travelling, I had stopped for lunch a restaurant called The Thorn Tree. It was named after a large thorn tree in the court yard. The historical note on the menu said that when mail first started arriving, it was hung on the thorns of the tree and people would stop in and get it. Perhaps a similar idea in the courtyards or other open areas. It'd create a nice communal gathering area. If it was so desired, you could even pick a different 'tree' for each arch. Maybe a cactus for one, a pile of rocks for another, a tree for a third and so on.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Feb 21, 2006 10:18:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Perhaps a similar idea in the courtyards or other open areas. It'd create a nice communal gathering area. If it was so desired, you could even pick a different 'tree' for each arch. Maybe a cactus for one, a pile of rocks for another, a tree for a third and so on.

This is the best piratey mail system idea I've read so far. It's kind of like those mailboxes at apartment complexes in the US, where you'll stop and talk to your neighbors for a few minutes while you're all picking up your mail. Good stuff...much more social than just having your mail delivered right to your Ye tab or something.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Feb 21, 2006 11:26:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

This is the best piratey mail system idea I've read so far. It's kind of like those mailboxes at apartment complexes in the US, where you'll stop and talk to your neighbors for a few minutes while you're all picking up your mail. Good stuff...much more social than just having your mail delivered right to your Ye tab or something.

Like banks used to be.

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Feb 21, 2006 2:08:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
konga07

fcsdiscovery, i love you for that great idea
this should definetly be added, and if it is if u recieve mail i tshould be listed under the "ahoy" tab.
*sage*
pirate and flirt of the best crew ever (The Black Crows) under the royal crows flag
konga07
[Feb 21, 2006 2:42:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
foudetimbres

Just to point out to those who haven't been following that thread that the new version of QuarterMaster in tips and tricks, questions and answers includes a form of pirate email.
Dirtyfoot
Senior Officer of the British Eagles

Eurydice wrote: 
Hee! I like that Glaucus was forced to take the name "Glaucus" because that was the sound you made in your throat before spitting the winning gum.

[Mar 6, 2006 9:55:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

But only for Windows people. Not Linux, Not Mac.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Mar 6, 2006 10:46:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Grayside

Greenies + Open Pirate Mail = Frightening.

Community Kiosk Comments
This seems very good as a place to post messages, but it already exists. Out of game, there are these messageboards & PMs. In-game there are Inns, Stall Bazaars, and Palaces.

Maybe instead of a completely open system a petition mechanism is used.

You petition the inn owner with a message to post in the news/etc. Perhaps along with a bid for a week or month of time. If the owner accepts the poe comes out of escrow. Else the offer expires.

A truly open system, even if it was just limited to officers, would be a rapidly growing segment of data, even if it was regularly wiped like the Crew/Flag Issues.

Live Mail Comments
I don't think spam filters is a good use of pirate resources. Leaving messages for hearties as a P-Mail Whitelist (which I think I read somewhere) seems reasonable.

But when you get that restrictive, its about time to get a free RL email account and give it out in game at need. Its not like anyone that plays lacks internet access.
Firestone, Captain, Mad Tea Party, Cobalt
Gallant, PotD, Midnight

[Mar 6, 2006 11:16:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://grayside.org/ypp/mayhem    Tires.Pirate [Link]  Go to top 
lesleywalker

Limited not-quite-email system Reply to this Post

Mind the bump...

Since somebody raised the issue recently on a now-locked thread, I want to put in my 2 PoE worth.

Please, please, please DON'T implement a full-blown email system with inboxes and replies and forwarding and suchlike.

I get quite enough email in Real Life, and it is one of the things I want to escape from when I go into YPP-world. If people want to email each other, then just swap email addresses fer krissakes.

Having said that though, like many others, I do want to be able to leave a message that my Captain/Hearty/whoever will see when he/she logs on, however far in the future that might be.

So here's my suggestion:

Give us the ability to "tack a note to PriateX's door" and nothing else. It needn't be an actual door of a residence (originally I thought it should be, but then I thought of the obvious issues, like a lot of people have "home" set to be just an island).

It just needs to be something that will pop up when they log on with a "you have X notes tacked to your door" and an option to read them. Once read, they crumble to dust. They can't be forwarded or replied to. They will appear in your chat log something like "PirateA left you a note saying: ....."

To limit spam, you're only ever allowed to leave one note per other pirate - you can change the note, but there can only ever be one. There should be a maximum on how many pirates you can leave notes for ("ye've run out of paper" or somesuch), and how many notes a pirate can have queued up ("PirateB's door is covered in notes, there's no room for any more"). Oh, and the number of charaters should be limited to, say, 300 (that's two TXT messages worth, should be plenty).

/me remembers many years ago the family home had a little box thingy beside the door with a notepad and pencil inside - haven't seen anything like that for a couple of decades.... /me feels old....
Rumbletum - FO, Crimson Sabers, Colbalt
Cheery - Alchemist, Ankh-Morpork City Watch, Cobalt
Jinxed Idol links
[Mar 23, 2007 12:58:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

Re: Limited not-quite-email system Reply to this Post

I had a thought the other day along the lines of what Quint said. I had bought a card to write a "thank-you" note to an OM. Being a moron, I realized afterward that I had no way of GIVING the card to said OM.

If you had to buy a postcard or greeting card to send someone a note, it would certainly cut down on spam.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Mar 23, 2007 7:27:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates