• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 26
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16019 times and has 25 replies Next Thread
jdnx429

Top 10 MMO's Reply to this Post

Yay! A new post is up:

http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/2007/12/top-10-mmos-you.html

I was pleasantly surprised to see PP listed higher than Final Fantasy XI, considering the fan base.

Anyways, personally I've only played two other MMO's: WoW and City of Heroes. I gave both those up last summer due to time constraints because of work. While I found City of Heroes to be a bit repetitive, I did find it to be more enjoyable than WoW. CoH seems more conducive to casual gaming than WoW. I was kicked out of two WoW guilds for being "inactive" - not logging on in two weeks. Eeeesh.

I also found there were less jerks in CoH than in WoW but that's just my own personal experience. Still, I was considering re-signing up to CoH since I've heard they made some significant changes.
----------------------------------------
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Dec 19, 2007 8:00:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
abacadafa

Re: Top 10 MMO's Reply to this Post

Yay! A new post is up:

http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/2007/12/top-10-mmos-you.html

I was pleasantly surprised to see PP listed higher than Final Fantasy XI, considering the fan base.

That's changed and may change again as voting continues. Here's the current tally:

"Based on 150 votes..."

"[#16] 99 pts. - Final Fantasy XI
[#17] 87 pts. - Puzzle Pirates"

Lesson of the day: surveys with small sample sizes are not your friend.

(Edit: data updated from count at 134 votes to the count at 150 votes. Both games went up a few slots but PP is now further behind FFXI.)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by abacadafa at Dec 23, 2007 9:31:39 AM]
[Dec 21, 2007 1:08:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Serpentiator

Why does it not surprise me that WoW is first place? -.-'

~Archonis
Former WoW-junkie
- Archonis
Damagon said:

There is nothing sweeter than making fun of those who PNT by mistake.

[Dec 21, 2007 3:07:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flamez911

Go YPP go! Rush that poll!
-Flamer, reloaded.

Currently in the process of arising from the grave. Hope to see people around more :)
[Dec 22, 2007 3:59:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nordenx

YPP players, I wonder what other MMO games do ye people play?
Nordenx of Viridian

Mariner's Used
[Dec 22, 2007 4:44:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

YPP was my first. I still haven't played many others.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Dec 23, 2007 7:46:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Serpentiator

As mentioned, I used to play World of Warcraft, Runescape (before I turned 15 and got my own source of income), and now I play Y!PP.
- Archonis
Damagon said:

There is nothing sweeter than making fun of those who PNT by mistake.

[Dec 25, 2007 3:50:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tlz_allen

I tried Runescape and then YPP. I'm trying out PotBS and really like the sea battle stuff, but I still can't figure out how to buy any more shot and supplies!
TlzAllen
Captain, The Dawntreaders
[Dec 26, 2007 11:09:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tlz_allen2 [Link]  Go to top 
YokoMoko

157 votes with some having 1000+ points? Whats up with that?

My top 10:--

1) Puzzle Pirates
2) FlyFF
3) VCO (Voyage Century Online)
4) Rappelz
5) Anarchy Online

The rest I am not sure about.. Think PP will get many points from a no1 vote? =\
Yokomoko - Hunter

Cairi wrote:

Think of it as foreplay and look forward to the release

[Dec 26, 2007 11:17:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kotetsu534

1. YPP
2. Ogame
3. Oil Empires
Nomura, SO of Innocent, Member of Crimson Tide, Midnight.
[Dec 27, 2007 9:34:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittycool

Heh, I don't go on any other MMO than Y!PP... although I went on RS a few years ago for about five seconds -_-
Kittyocool on Hunter
[Dec 30, 2007 9:12:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dakotah

Runescape: 5 Pts.

Anyone else notice that?
~Just crazy, wheeing, and happy.

Proudly supporting Project J since 5/11, well, as long it is lemon-scented!

Dreading auto-responds, "dont ask for assistance cuz im a greeter, i just did it for the pink name XD".
[Dec 30, 2007 9:37:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittycool

Yup, it doesn't seem to be so good anymore =D
Kittyocool on Hunter
[Dec 30, 2007 9:46:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
YokoMoko

5 points were from me voting it about 5th lol. It must be rigged though, there is 165 votes, 10 points = no.1 by one person..? How can there be thousands upon thousands of votes from the top 10? I voted no.1 for PP and it got very few points so I think it must be 10 points or less for no.1.#

Edit~ also, it says browser-based games shouldn't be included, isn't Runescape browser based?
Yokomoko - Hunter

Cairi wrote:

Think of it as foreplay and look forward to the release

[Edit 1 times, last edit by YokoMoko at Dec 30, 2007 10:23:07 AM]
[Dec 30, 2007 10:22:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

I'm assuming that if you have a full list of games, the top game gets 10 points, and works its way down. If you have say 5 games on your list, the top game gets 5 points, and works its way down.

Seems fairly simple.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Jan 2, 2008 9:10:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

Runescape: 5 Pts.

Anyone else notice that?

f13.net is sort of a splinter site for an online gaming community that goes back all the way to the founding of Ultima Online a decade ago. Thus, a lot of the users thereabouts are older and more bitter (heh) MMOG players, and thus tend to play, prefer and vote for the larger AAA titles on the market. Plus, the Runescape player base tends to skew a little young.

That said, I think Y!PP being in the top twenty is totally awesome, even if I think it's better than a lot of the games that seem to have ended up ranked above it. <_<
[Jan 2, 2008 4:24:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
NathanShawn

Is Final Fantasy XI any good? I've seen a few ads for it in magizines and it looks good.
Nathanshawn:
Something of the crew Truth be Told.
Something else of the flag United we Stand.

~Hai ai r Nayfin, Ai ish a Polar Bear.~
[Jan 3, 2008 6:15:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Saladin3

1. Puzzle Pirates
2. Mythos/Norron

that's pretty much it.
Ampersand - Malachite
[Mar 16, 2008 10:13:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
obsidious911

1. Guild Wars
2. Puzzle Pirates
3. Everything else besides WoW
4. WoW
[Mar 29, 2008 2:04:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
elbeejay

YPP was my first. I still haven't played many others.

Me too! I never knew about MMO games until I played YPP either, none of my friends played them, and I only knew one WoW player.
-Elbee on Hunter, Sage, Viridian, and Malachite
[Apr 7, 2008 3:34:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hypnos
OceanMaster

An interesting trend among Puzzle Pirates players is that many have not played any MMOGs before this one. I don't know if this is because we're in the "casual games" market or if this is because we tend to spread by word of mouth to families and friends.
face down in the soup again - Avatar by Sharktail of Sage
Cnuofesd of Viridian wrote: 
I regually snort porridge oats up my nose too.

[Apr 11, 2008 6:14:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

An interesting trend among Puzzle Pirates players is that many have not played any MMOGs before this one. I don't know if this is because we're in the "casual games" market or if this is because we tend to spread by word of mouth to families and friends.

I'm one of those players, except I came here from an advertisement from Penny Arcade. I saw Pogo play it and liked it because it didn't look like WoW, Alien vs. Predator, Gunz, or any other MMO I've seen. I think I just like the way YPP looks.
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Apr 11, 2008 6:30:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

I'm a long-time gamer, and I work in the game industry. I'm a stingy old coot, both in time and money. I refuse to play a game that demands a subscription. YPP offers doubloon oceans, which make my old curmudgeonly heart happy.

Well, that, and I'm a big fan of puzzles, but not so much the grindfest that most MMOs are. *shrug* I'm much happier with solid gameplay than I am with eye candy and bottom-feeding titillation.
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Apr 11, 2008 7:04:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jamesrobert8

I'm starting to get into MMO's a lot more myself. But of the ones I have played, I do enjoy WoW. Never played CoH, and I have played Flyff because it's free but that's it.

There are a lot of jerks in WoW depending on the server you are on. And the reason you may have gotten kicked outta the guild could be dependent on the guild itself. Some guilds like to have very active members. Some don't.
[Apr 18, 2008 10:53:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=624195245 [Link]  Go to top 
Rolld20

Frankly, I never played MMORGs because I knew I would get addicted to them.
Then I stumbled onto this online thing with mini-games and socializing and pirates, and refused to believe it was a *real* MMORG because it was just too cute. ^.^
By the time I figured it out, it was too late for me... Beware the YPP, save yerself before it devours you as well! :O
Greyrat of Viridian
-------------

"The server is under heavy load due to calculating exactly how big of an idiot you are"

[Apr 25, 2008 7:26:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shirato

I've played FLYFF, Guild Wars, 5 hours of WoW, Perfect World, Neopets, Kings of Chaos, Ikariam and Whirled. YPP definitely got addicting. I've now played for over 3 years, although I almost never log on anymore. I've a new addiction. Perfect World. I hate the NPC's poor language, but it's fine, because they are translating it from Chinese to english (poorly, but working on it... I hope).

My Top # list would be:

Perfect World
Whirled
Puzzle Pirates
Guild Wars
FLYFF
Ikariam
WoW
Kings of Chaos
Neopet
Finnigan Yppedia Profile
Finnigan on Viridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shirato at May 3, 2008 3:13:41 PM]
[May 3, 2008 3:08:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates