• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 126
Posts: 126   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 43810 times and has 125 replies Next Thread
Gothmog1065

How to update the game shortcut to use a newer version of Java Reply to this Post

As of July 2008, Puzzle Pirates will require Java version 1.5 or later, as explained here. Please read that thread for the explanation.

Mac Users:
If you are running Max OS X 3.0, you will not be able to upgrade your Java beyond 4 update 12. Your only options are to upgrade your OS to 4 by purchasing it here, or at your favorite Apple store, or installing a Windows or Linux environment (not discussed, start a new thread in Tech Issues).
For information regarding student discounts, please see this post .

OS X 10.4 has updates to JRE 1.5.0_13, and OS X 10.5 (Panther, latest OS) has updates to JRE 1.6.0_05. Three Rings has no control over how Apple updates their Java, so please do not send complaints to the Three Rings staff.

Windows Users:
This was done on Windows XP SP2. There are few actual differences with the properties box and location of Java between this and Vista, but your menus may differ slightly.

BEFORE WE BEGIN:
First, make sure you have the latest Java version, by downloading it here.

When I use # in the Java links and descriptions below denote a version number. Your version may vary from the examples shown. Make sure you know your version of Java. If you don't have the same version as I do, and use the example links given, Puzzle Pirates will not work correctly for you. If you are unsure of the last version of Java you have, you can skip to step 4, or to see what version you are currently using, you can go here.

Step 1: You will need to find your most used Java link. Common examples are shown below (Works with the Desktop shortcut too):

Step 2: You will need to RIGHT CLICK and highlight 'properties' as shown:

Step 3: Click on the 'Shortcut Tab' at the top, and look in the target box. You will need to change the target box to:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.#.#_## \bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-dop.jar .
(Typical File Location)

Example Java Versions:
jre1.6.0_01
jre1.5.0_13
jre1.4.1_17

If you are having problems finding it, you can search for "Javaw.exe", but that will show any files of any other versions of Java as well. Javaw.exe is commonly found in C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.#.#_## \bin. The drive letter may change. Example image is shown (Click the 'Folders' Button at the top to show the folders on the left):

Updated version, thanks Gothmog! I've tweaked the topic to be more appropriate.
----------------------------------------
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Demeter at Aug 4, 2008 8:29:58 AM]
[Dec 15, 2007 11:00:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rrruuunnn

Re: HOW TO: Update the Java pointer, a visual guide Reply to this Post

I'd be glad to help, but, uh, where to go from here? Or do you know? Heh

Hookedkiller of Cobalt
Crmdcm of Midnight

Awsome avatar by Letara.
[Dec 15, 2007 11:26:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

OS?
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Dec 15, 2007 11:29:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
YokoMoko

That looks creepily like a Mac :O
Yokomoko - Hunter

Cairi wrote:

Think of it as foreplay and look forward to the release

[Dec 15, 2007 11:31:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rrruuunnn

Mac, 10.3.9. Not sure about the Java though, although it shouldn't affect much at this part? I can always download it.

Edit: I think I do have the most up to date Java, since when I do Software Update a newer Java doesn't show.
Hookedkiller of Cobalt
Crmdcm of Midnight

Awsome avatar by Letara.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by rrruuunnn at Dec 15, 2007 11:34:18 AM]
[Dec 15, 2007 11:31:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Mac, 10.3.9. Not sure about the Java though, although it shouldn't affect much at this part? I can always download it.

I thought so. I have no working of a Mac, and nobody has one I can play with to get any experience with one. I would ask an instructor I have at school, but no more school for me until next semester.

If there are any Mac users that can help (if it's even necessary) would be appreciated.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Dec 15, 2007 11:34:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rrruuunnn

Don't think it will work anyways, as we don't have locations like c:\ or whatever.

Step 3: Click on the 'Shortcut Tab' at the top, and look in the target box. You will need to change the target box to:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-dop.jar (Typical File Location)

Hookedkiller of Cobalt
Crmdcm of Midnight

Awsome avatar by Letara.
[Dec 15, 2007 11:39:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer

Mac, 10.3.9.

There is, unfortunately, no Java 1.5 available for Mac OS 10.3. 10.4 and 10.5 both come with (or are upgradeable to, I don't honestly remember offhand) Java 1.5.

That said, I believe the way java gets set up under Mac OS, things correctly get the latest version, so if you have a 1.5 jvm available, Puzzle Pirates will use it.
[Dec 15, 2007 1:14:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tvotron

Mac, 10.3.9.

There is, unfortunately, no Java 1.5 available for Mac OS 10.3. 10.4 and 10.5 both come with (or are upgradeable to, I don't honestly remember offhand) Java 1.5.

That said, I believe the way java gets set up under Mac OS, things correctly get the latest version, so if you have a 1.5 jvm available, Puzzle Pirates will use it.

I'm confused by this. I have Mac OS 10.3.9, Java 1.4.2_12, and no sound since the last update. Does the last paragraph mean that I can download Jana 1.5 and it will work?
Mirunea
Drinking the Kool-aid at The Mad Tea Party.

Amazing avatar by Letara.
[Dec 15, 2007 5:01:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

It means that for your version of Mac OS X, you have the best version of Java they'll ever release. In other words, you'll have to upgrade your OS to get any better Java versions (REmember, Apple Java is ALWAYS behind on updates).

A fix should be out monday if I remember Arcturus correctly.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Dec 15, 2007 5:34:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tvotron

It means that for your version of Mac OS X, you have the best version of Java they'll ever release. In other words, you'll have to upgrade your OS to get any better Java versions (REmember, Apple Java is ALWAYS behind on updates).

That's what I thought, but I got all hopeful when I read that last bit.

A fix should be out monday if I remember Arcturus correctly.

OK, thanks, Gothmog.
Mirunea
Drinking the Kool-aid at The Mad Tea Party.

Amazing avatar by Letara.
[Dec 15, 2007 5:37:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnBloo

I done all the Java stuff and now PP wont even load or open :-/
[Dec 17, 2007 9:16:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorellis

I need help too, I have Windows ME, I too have no sound, big time laag, black screen when I go into my shops or into some of the puzzles (shipbuilding)

I too lost my PP for over a week and found a link to fix it but still I have no sound, this game isn't much fun without sound. I really hate it.

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY SOUND BACK - WINDOWS ME
Saradoodle
[Feb 3, 2008 7:15:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

PLEASE HELP ME GET MY SOUND BACK - WINDOWS ME

I'm not a Windows basher (I use XP), but Windows ME is the absolute worst Windows OS you can have. I'd suggest either at some point upgrading to XP or going back to 98SE.

Beyond that, try installing with the Full Installer. It sounds like there are some media file issues. If that doesn't work for you (After updating your pointers and Java and whatnot), post your logfiles.

Mind you, support for older OSes (Especially ME) will be spotty at best, maybe someone can help you.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Feb 3, 2008 2:21:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I've done all that but I still keep losing sound (usually during rumble, Atlantis, or blacksmithing.)
Any more ideas?
Pletoo of Sage
[Feb 5, 2008 11:28:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Post your log file and poke a dev to walk by and look at it.

Edit:
Others are having your problems (I don't use sound so it doesn't affect me), so it may be an error in Java or YPP.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gothmog1065 at Feb 5, 2008 12:02:42 PM]
[Feb 5, 2008 12:01:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
krzynowek

[Edit 1 times, last edit by krzynowek at Apr 25, 2008 5:24:07 AM]
[Apr 25, 2008 5:21:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Justinmickey

Yeah, this happened to me when I tried. Help?
Modern, Emerald.
Spam, Meridian.
[Apr 28, 2008 2:20:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

You've updated the wrong box - or an additional box.

Target - (only if you're running 1.6.0_03!) -> "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\javaw.exe" -jar getdown-dop.jar .
Check that that folder exists, and that it's the latest folder if you have more than one Java installation. That tells the shortcut which Java installation to use to start the game.

Start In -> "C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates" - that tells the shortcut where to look for the game you're asking it to start using Java.

If you're really stumped, uninstall game, update Java, then reinstall game, and it will find it by itself.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Apr 28, 2008 2:37:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
summit34

I have the newest Java version, I tried the uninstall/reinstall, but none of that works.
I think it's just the update prohibiting my Java from taking effect. I've never had this problem before in the three years I've played.

I hope this problem is solved for everyone, including me.
[Jun 26, 2008 7:57:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fuzzy_vision

Re: How to update the game shortcut to use a newer version of Java Reply to this Post

arr! yes i'm running mac os x 10.3.9 with java 1.4.2._12 ...and can't get in the game since the last update (about 2 days). :(((( i guess that 10.3.9 is the final version..so, do i have to buy new computer now? really not possible to play PP with the stuff described above? :(((
[Aug 2, 2008 4:51:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Re: How to update the game shortcut to use a newer version of Java Reply to this Post

For a mac, you're going to have upgrade your OS. You won't have to buy a new computer, but I think it's around 100 dollars to upgrade to a newer version of Mac (I think there's a new one coming out.. again...).

So no, you can't play the game as of right now. You can if you upgrade your OS. You don't have to buy a new computer.

Go to a Mac store or someone on here could probably give you more info.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Aug 2, 2008 2:16:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

I have this, C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07 and this C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05 and this, C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06.

Mine atm is set to the last one. It'll be cool for sometime to just leave it? Or would deleting the other two force it to connect to the most up to date one?
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Aug 2, 2008 3:08:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

I can't say for sure, but I would manually set your Java to the first one (1.6.0_07), make sure it works correctly, then remove the other two. The only reason most keep older versions of Java on their machines is to revert in case something goes wonky with a new version of Java, and they have to go back to an older version.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Aug 2, 2008 3:51:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Does somebody want to try http://lists.apple.com/archives/Java-dev/2005/Apr/msg00683.html ?
[Aug 2, 2008 5:03:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ObstacleOne

I read this and figured that I (Mac OSX 10.3.9) can't get Java 1.5, so I tried to install Tiger (OSX 10.4) and no go. It told me to restart the comp to start the installation process, and after it rebooted, it would keep asking to restart. Seems only 1/3 computers will let me play YPP, and sadly, it is the one that I have access to only 2/7 of the time...
Tonight's dawn
renders fighting useless.
Let us forget,
we can find new ways of living.
Deniable ~ Hunter Ocean ~ Carpe Diem
"I wish I could eat the salt off of your lost faded lips."
[Aug 2, 2008 10:45:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

I'm sure someone here will help you install Panther if you want, as I don't have a Mac and know nothing of it.

Either that or you can go to an apple site or go to the apple store.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Aug 3, 2008 10:39:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Help! I did something wrong! I somehow made the pp shortcut lead to the java folder...
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Aug 3, 2008 6:21:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

o oops fixed! lol forgot to add java.exe to the end... THANX!!! Hopefully I won't be as laggy now =)
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Aug 3, 2008 6:24:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

o oops fixed! lol forgot to add java.exe to the end... THANX!!! Hopefully I won't be as laggy now =)

Please let us know if this fixes the lag for you.
Nemesis wrote: 
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 

[Aug 3, 2008 7:53:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 126   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates