• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3906 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
poobox

chat ideas Reply to this Post

well, first and least important, I'd like some more emacs keybindings in chat. at least cursor movement and deletion commands. cut and copy, not so important.

second, and slightly more important, I'd like to see a /lock <talkmode> command, so that you can be in speak or vessel or whichever by default even after using /shout or clicking on shout.. or switching interfaces aboard ship. I noticed this aboard the tournament ship, trying not to vessel chat, but not noticing it switch me back to vessel after and before every puzzle.

finaly, and most important, swear blocking should be added to clients and set on by default. there's been some complaints about foul-mouthed pirates lately, but if it's something as simple as "I !@#$ed up that navigatin mates, sorry" I can't see it being the speaking pirates fault if the listener is offended. of course it could be gotten around and abusive speach could still happen, but that's what /complain should be used for.

if there's another thread for this that I missed, please let me know, otherwise, I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks right here in this thread.
[Jul 13, 2003 6:05:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

Re: chat ideas Reply to this Post

You've got ^U, what else do you need? ^_-
----------------------------------------
-Hethor
[Jul 13, 2003 10:56:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Emacsian Reply to this Post

Mmm emacs keybindings. Is there a law about every piece of software including emacs? I thought it was the emacs would include every piece of software (with a nod to Akebia).

Re: chat filter, we may well do this. We've not because we just think they usually provide a false sense of security (and we've had a game to make), but I think probably it would, in most cases, help. You can consider this 'on the list' if you wish.

Lock talkmode is debatable, as I'm not sure the current behaviour is intended.
[Jul 13, 2003 2:38:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Jaffee

On the topic of chat stuff, here's a suggestion I got...

Some sort of /reply, which would send a tell to the last person who sent one to you. It'd be useful for when you're talking to somebody with a complex name. Or otherwise, just make sending tells easier, so that you don't have to type out the person's name every time.

That'd be handy.
~Jaff
[Jul 13, 2003 3:19:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

You can already do that in a way, if you use the arrow keys you can scroll through /tell whoever, /emote etc.
[Jul 13, 2003 3:24:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
poobox

tab completion Reply to this Post

I completely forgot somethign else I had wanted in the chat interface..
tab completion, for non-unixers, that means elimination of predictable typeing by allowing you to type tab instead. this would be great for /tell, or /who or anything where it you currently have to type a name that you're client could guess from the first few letters.
[Jul 14, 2003 1:47:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

<sigh>

Why use tab completion when you can already type the first two letters of something (like /em for /emote) and have it work?
[Jul 14, 2003 2:33:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

I'd like tab completion too actually.
And it can be used for more than just the commands, say I wanted to send a tell to Yarrrrington or is it Yarrrrrrrington or Yarrington? Well i just enter /te ya<tab> and if there's more matching i can keep pressing tab and it will cycle thru all the matches until i find the right and press enter.
Not a huge must at all though, but hey if it's easy to do I'd like it.

A little tip: a patch or two back they added a little help to reply to tells. If Homullus sends you a tell, you can use arrow up and automatically get a /tell homullus and then just write the message. Very convenient. If you've sent him a tell in the past and sent some new ones since then his name might be further up in the list, but just keep using arrow up and you'll find it. I use this alot.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jul 14, 2003 3:00:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bipoha

/yar or /hooray or /raise-my-arm-up-as-if-i-just-won-a-match Reply to this Post

I think it'd be really cool to have a command that could force our
characters to raise their hand. Just the sight of seeing a bunch of
spectators at the end of a contest all raising their hands at once would
be really really cool.

I don't see a need for its compliment, the /ug or /darn or /bow-my-head-as-if-i-lost-a-match command. hehe :)

I hope this thread isn't too old for a new posting. (^_^)

--Ryoko
Got Dandruff? Some of it itches!
[Oct 24, 2003 8:49:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.monster.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Well a new post on an old thread is a lot better than a new post on a new thread.

I like that idea too, I'm sure if it ends up onthe list, it'll be near the bottom, as well it should with Midnight looming just around the corner, but It's worth a look.
[Oct 24, 2003 8:55:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nicuss

Flag chat pretty please. I'd love to be able to talk to me flag mates with a /flag command. If you fear too much spam limit it to officers and above.
[Oct 24, 2003 9:35:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SCHALAAY

Jaffee wrote: 
On the topic of chat stuff, here's a suggestion I got...

Some sort of /reply, which would send a tell to the last person who sent one to you. It'd be useful for when you're talking to somebody with a complex name. Or otherwise, just make sending tells easier, so that you don't have to type out the person's name every time.

That'd be handy.

I think you can just press up, and it'll have a reply /tell as your most recent command. ...thats what I remember offhand, dont feel like testing it.

EDIT: and now that I read the rest of the thread, this has already been noted. Cool.
[Oct 24, 2003 10:38:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tee_Beard

Well, like Devonin say, new post in old thread better than old post old thread! Besides, this is so not urgent.

I'd like to see an extension of the /emote command, at any rate: /emote's, /emote' and /emote,

Like so:

/e' sword rattles in her sheath.
Thesis' sword rattles in her sheath.

/e's face turns a bright shade of purple.
Pennsuedo's face turns a bright shade of purple.

/e, Terror of the Seven Seas of Midnight gives a mighty bellow!
Devonin, Terror of the Seven Seas of Midnight gives a mighty bellow!

That, or allowing the emote command to not require a space would be nice. Though I'm sure it's bound to be open to abuse.
Thesis
It’s kind of funny/sad how I still can find the thing that made me part of Y!PP canon.
[Nov 15, 2003 2:31:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Tee_Beard wrote: 
/e, Terror of the Seven Seas of Midnight gives a mighty bellow!
Devonin, Terror of the Seven Seas of Midnight gives a mighty bellow!

*Grin* that's awesome!
[Nov 15, 2003 2:37:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

I like two out of three of those Tee_Beard. I think adding e' and e's would be good for us grammar freaks...
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Nov 15, 2003 2:48:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

Or punctuation freaks, even. I've just been throwing that space in there...

'Leperflesh 's epidermis is showing!'

in the on-screen window, the space is kind of hidden and you can kind of excuse it and read past it.

But it would be nice to fix that. In fact, the closer we get to the functionality I used to have back in the old BBS days in Amiga BBS chat, the better!
e.g. I type /btoss Lumpy
Leperflesh tosses Lumpy an Ice-cold Beer!
and he types /bcatch
Lumpy snags the beer from the air and slams it down!

etc

-Lep
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Nov 18, 2003 9:02:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

heh.

I'd like a /spellcheck command. ;)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 18, 2003 11:10:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

A few extra "socials" (as they're called on MU*s) would be a cute little small project. I know there's The List Of Things To Add, and The List Of Things To Add In Between Adding Things On The List Of Things To Add, so I don't expect it any time soon, but it'd be nice even if nobody ever bothered to do any accompanying arrrrrtwork.

As far as *I* know, it'd just be a matter of dropping a few more strings into the magical cuss converter. We already have string replacements for "lol", "brb" and even "=)" and "=(" (BTW, I *really* appreciate your thoroughness there!), so I know the technology exists.

If Y!PP weren't a professional product, I'd actually volunteer to make the additions - I'm not a programmer, but I can usually stare at an existing chunk of code and figure out how to tweak the output. (Did it a couple of times for a MUD that I immediately divested involvement with because the guy was only starting it up for an ego trip.) But I suspect the Dread Ringers would be just a weeeeee bit nervous about letting just anybody muck with their code.
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[Nov 18, 2003 8:52:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

=D / :D ought to be 'grins happily' instead of just 'smiles,' but otherwise I can't remember anything else :)
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 18, 2003 10:04:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

54x wrote: 
=D / :D ought to be 'grins happily' instead of just 'smiles,' but otherwise I can't remember anything else :)

So I guess >=) / >:) would be 'grins evilly'?
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[Nov 18, 2003 10:49:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

>:)

I'm thinking 'grins maniacally' (sp). I use that one all the time :D
from Midnight.
[Nov 19, 2003 11:23:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I would personally like the ability to mute a particular channel sometimes. Particularly Crew and Jobbing chat. The reasoning behind this is, when one of the PPA instructors is giving a lesson, said instructor will ask everyone in the crew to keep the crew chat down. Of course, people who log in later don't immediately know this, so they use crew chat as normal, and slightly disrupt the lesson taking place on board a ship. Having the ability to mute your crew channels would be nice for this type of situation. If Flag chat ever becomes a reality, this should be mutable as well. The following should not be mutable:

Vessel (get off the ship if you don't want to hear this)
Speak (Get out of the chat circle/building/ship to cancel this out)
Tell (if someone needs to get your attention, they need to be able to do this)
Emote, Think (same reasons for Speak)

Vessel and Speak muting would be pointless, IMO, since you can just get out of where you're at to stop hearing them, and if you're in an area where you're hearing them, then you're taking up a spot that someone else could otherwise occupy.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Nov 20, 2003 1:15:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nykkel

Yeah, I asked about something like that a few weeks back. Except I don't think there should be any exceptions to what channels can be blocked. If you block a channel you shouldn't have and it makes the people around you annoyed, hey, you booched the social puzzle. :)

I know there are certainly times on Navy ships when I'd like to block Vessel or Say, rather than watch an ongoing conversation (that doesn't involve me) in my dialogue window while trying to do a duty puzzle.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates