• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 774 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Hanzii

Shipshape shipyard Reply to this Post

Since I'm the only player with any - albeit limited - experience in running a shipyard I thought I'd start a subject on the matter.
I'm sure it won't be long before competition shows up in Emerald.

First a note of caution:
I've been told, that the shipyard is one of the (5?) buildings needed before new players will begin starting on a newly colonized island.
I also know that some people expect a new shipyard to start with a full stock of maps to the other islands in the new archiplago.
I have no reason to doubt the first, but the second issue I think needs dev clarification.
But even if both are true you must know, that the sale of maps doesn't generate any income for the shipyard.
The map part of the shipyard is completely seperate from the rest of the business and not under the control of the owner - afaik because the map-sale is just a quick and dirty placeholder, untill the proper implementation of maps is ready (whatever that will be).
So don't rush to build that shipyard expecting to make a killing on being first to sell the new maps.

[commercial break]

Float Your Boat on Turtle is having a craaaazy sale on brigs this week - prices close to 20k for both types. The first crew to order a War Brig will get it for the low cost of only 19.995 poe.
No guarantee on you not getting an uncool name - the guy in charge of namig is a drunkard...

[/commercial break]

Some thoughts on the shipyard:

I'm looking forward to customization to come along. Ships'll be more fun and I hope some crews will be vain enough to upgrade. Right now business is slow.

When it happens, i expect ships to require herbs/minerals for coloring as well - raising the price a bit.
I also think ships should require some stone to build (ballast) to give the economy another place to sell stone.

regarding price, it would be nice to be able to either do a set price for each type of ship or to have a place to put deeds up for sale (maybe a limited number, since having a lot of ships just laying about in the harbour would be too unrealistic).
As it is now, the price of a ship is calculated using the 'cost' price of goods, which is well and good for most shoppes. But when the shop only offers seven different products in prices ranging from under 5K to more than 60K - some more control is warranted.
I don't need to make the same percentage profit on a Grand Frigate as a Sloop while still making a healthy profit.
The ability to lower the prices exclusively on the big ships, would enhance my chances of ever selling one.

also a log-feature for us more anal-retentive shopowners, so we could check every little commodity bought and sold, while we weren't online would be nice - but I think that's been mentioned in other threads about shoppes.

Also I'm wondering about the 'manage prices' interface. Apparently only commodities I have in stock or has had in stock appears here - so if I want to start buying cannonballs from traders (to sell with my ships), I can't. Not unless I first buy at least one batch using the 'trade commodities' screen.
Unfortunately one reason to set a 'buy' price for cannonballs, would be the fact that none are avaliable on the island... catch-22.
----------------------------------------
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jul 12, 2003 6:13:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Re: Shipshape shipyard Reply to this Post

Hanzii wrote: 
I also know that some people expect a new shipyard to start with a full stock of maps to the other islands in the new archiplago.
I have no reason to doubt the first, but the second issue I think needs dev clarification.
But even if both are true you must know, that the sale of maps doesn't generate any income for the shipyard.

Jack mentioned last night that a new Shipyard will have the ability to sell maps to every other Island within an Archipelago. He didn't mention the 'no income' thing, but I already knew about that, and it doesn't really bother me. Having a ready supply of Emerald maps is plenty reward for building a Shipyard, even if we can't make any cash off of selling them.
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[Jul 12, 2003 6:27:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Livesey

You can also have canonballs (and rum) delivered to your shop, just like a vessel.
-Hethor
[Jul 12, 2003 8:04:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Teirlap wrote: 

Having a ready supply of Emerald maps is plenty reward for building a Shipyard, even if we can't make any cash off of selling them.

Oh, I agree.
But not everybody knew about the no-income thing. I've talked to 'leaders' who thought this would make a great moneymaker (which of course is the reason it doesn't work. Since the maps are just there in unlimited quantities and cost nothing to produce, it would give whoever ran the shipyard and unfair advantage)

You can also have canonballs (and rum) delivered to your shop, just like a vessel.

You're right - bad example.
Another way to make money from a shop (and a necessary one if you have very slow moving merchandise) is buying and reselling commodities.
But the feature I mention makes this a bit more dificult - I was just wondering if it's a bug or a feature... and in the latter case, what's it supposed to acomplish?
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jul 12, 2003 8:49:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Guava shipyard! (and do we really need more than one?) Reply to this Post

1581 hours to go.

I don't know if it makes sense (at least initially) to build more than one shipyard per archipelago (other than, eventually, for competition, of course). It takes a long time to get the money together to buy a ship, and most crews have them already.

I wonder about the requirement for this building for having some portion of new citizens automatically domiciled on the island - I suppose it's because of money having to be moved by ship, but with inter-bank transfers, it doesn't seem 100% necessary. Especially as new players won't have the money anyway, and can have re-domiciled by the time they do.
[Jul 12, 2003 9:07:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

I second the request for a shop log
[Jul 12, 2003 11:01:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Hanzii wrote: 
regarding price, it would be nice to be able to either do a set price for each type of ship or to have a place to put deeds up for sale (maybe a limited number, since having a lot of ships just laying about in the harbour would be too unrealistic).
As it is now, the price of a ship is calculated using the 'cost' price of goods, which is well and good for most shoppes. But when the shop only offers seven different products in prices ranging from under 5K to more than 60K - some more control is warranted.
I don't need to make the same percentage profit on a Grand Frigate as a Sloop while still making a healthy profit.
The ability to lower the prices exclusively on the big ships, would enhance my chances of ever selling one.

I'm resurrecting this somewhat old thread to second this idea.

One of the biggest problems I find with running the Guava Shipyard is pricing. My 'mission statement' basically boils down to 'deals for junior pirates, absolute gouging for veterans'. What this means is I'd like to keep the prices of Small Sloops relatively low, while raising the prices of Brigs and other large ships substantially (since folks who need those kinds of ships can generally cough up a little more coin for them). However, in trying to keep Small Sloop prices around 5k, I end up ALSO lowering the prices of large ships, screwing my profit margin on ALL types of vessel.

...So, uh, si, some more control over price would be appreciated.
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[Aug 3, 2003 7:13:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

We'll make a note about this idea (if we haven't already), as it makes a lot of sense. Keep in mind that it is probably not near the top of The List.

What may actually be closer to the the top is shoppe logs. Shoppe and ship logs have long been planned and are becoming increasingly desirable the larger our population grows. The List is mighty, but logs are a staple of any organization.

-Nemo
[Aug 3, 2003 7:28:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xel

Just a minor correction I'd like to make, you don't need a shipyard for people to start spawning on your island. We had people starting on our island with only having a distillery, market, and palace. I think it's more the population, because once we had around 100 people living on our island the numbers started to skyrocket, and now we're already at 1000.
(Emperor Island)
[Aug 3, 2003 8:10:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    masterxel [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates