• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 88
Posts: 88   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9083 times and has 87 replies Next Thread
Telastyn

Cnossos Blockade Play by Play

So what's the score?

[maybe we could get a web interface like espn.com has for sports so people can see the scores and teams in real time while stuck here at work]
[May 20, 2004 6:20:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Re: Cnossos Blockade Play by Play

Telastyn wrote: 
So what's the score?
[maybe we could get a web interface like espn.com has for sports so people can see the scores and teams in real time while stuck here at work]

How much would I love being able to pull up the battle map on a web page?

atteSmythe,
the Drooling
----------------------------------------

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[May 20, 2004 6:23:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Uni

1-1 Rounds.

67-20 Equinox with 30 min remaining in the 3rd round.

AIM is supre, even from vacation in Italy.

-Uni
Pink Bilger
[May 20, 2004 6:27:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wnorman

Telastyn wrote: 

Man, we don't even have that at the dock yet!

Would it be even easier to see it in a web page though, without having to work it into the game's interface?
Shark
Captain of Ransack Marauders
Prince and Admiral of Silver Dawn

[size=9]Greenie says, "are you a rael shark/"
[May 20, 2004 6:56:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

I've no idea :]
[May 20, 2004 7:00:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drabillord

Arr!!

First round was a tough round for Black Sails. The Equinox moved in and held position on those flags well, and took down some black sail ships even. Equinox had 2 losses, i think Black sails had 3. Equinox won by a little over 100 points.

Second round, Black sails did the dual war frigate tactic. It worked well, sinking several equinox war brigs and taking solid hold onto the round after a rough start. A close round until the last minute, Black Sails won it through excellent navin on their war frigates.

Third round Equinox finally brought in a war frigate. and an army of cutters and sloops. Black sails took an early 150 point loss because they did not get ships into the blockade in time. Once their 2 brigs came in to support their frigate, tehy collected a steady number of points, but Equinox still pulled out by a little over 150 points.

A good set of rounds on everyoens part!! What will hte next 3 rounds bring? TUne in at 1 AM for the Drabillord Blockade Summary!!

/me gives out cookies.
[May 20, 2004 7:23:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    wassaf [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

And shockedfrog, with 3 swabbies, on the Unique Marlin (sloop) does a pointless kamikaze attack on a well staffed Equinox cutter, the Half Mako. shockedfrog then gets predictably sunk, yay!

But what will happen after shockedfrog's maths exam tomorrow? Will the blockade still be going? Will the luck of the Smoked Salmon and the aid of actual people other than swabbies help him at all? Probably not!

Anyway, go Black Sails! Uzi's already had one Cnossos too many!
[May 20, 2004 7:43:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

atteSmythe wrote: 
How much would I love being able to pull up the battle map on a web page?

Oh, with stats and everything! Everyminute, take a snapshot of ships in the blockade, the pirates on them, who has taken X damage, who has dealt X damage, what the duty standings are, average it all out for stats, graph it on a minute by minute basis, etc.

That's a lot of raw data, but it'd be soooo interesting to see!

(and, could be very useful planning data for flags)

Hmm... totally on a tangent... one person with a super-sized y!pp window would be just sitting on a sloop, watching the battle, screen shots being taken every minute, /vwho's when a ship enters the blockade zone, keeping track of the hit percentage for firing and damage taken for being hit, unforced errors (ie: running into rocks with no good reason) Parsing the data would take a LOT of work, but it'd be so incredibly useful for planning, if used right. Actually... I could automate this. Create a greenie account in a virtual display, then sail a sloop into the safe zone with the greenie onboard, and abandon ship with the greenie's screen being snapshotted every minute or so... Add a screen reader / keyboard stuffer into that, and you could get the /vwho data ... but, oy, that's insane. ;-)
Silvermoon, First Mate, Silver Dragon Trading Company
Silverstar, Instructor, Puzzle Pirates Academy (retired)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Silverstar at May 20, 2004 7:44:59 AM]
[May 20, 2004 7:44:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

2-1 them. We are however proving, I think, that long term a smaller force can win. It really depends on fleet movements, and hence why I strongly dislike the 4 hour break (to much time to move fleets). It severly handicaps a smaller force.

Anyhow, well fought, see ye all in 4!
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor
[May 20, 2004 7:45:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

AkMedic wrote: 
2-1 them. We are however proving, I think, that long term a smaller force can win. It really depends on fleet movements, and hence why I strongly dislike the 4 hour break (to much time to move fleets). It severly handicaps a smaller force.

That is, indeed, the advantage and disadvantage in the 3/4 setup. The original 50/70 setup let ships be moved between every round, but only a limited amount. This setup, you can't expect to move ships during a set, but you can move ships a lot further between sets.

Hmm... related... I've been thinking about blockades. It's supposed to be tough to take an island, but ... it is heavilly weighted to a numbers game. Get your ships to the island before hand, and it's a matter of the fight.

Cleaver mentioned the defenders chaining the attackers' ships to docks. This would make this a different game. Ye lose a ship? Even if it's not sunk, you got to sail that replacement in from a nearby island. No instant reinforcements. You could have ships with skeleton crews just keepin' 'er warm in the safe zone, but that takes mates out o' the battle...

While the number of ships ye kin get there matters, it's almost more important to not lose ships because if yer attackin', ye need to be able ter support yerself through the round...
[May 20, 2004 8:04:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Aye.

For bonus points, one could play by play the ships in the blockade by flag :-)
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[May 20, 2004 8:06:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

[quote][

Hmm... related... I've been thinking about blockades. It's supposed to be tough to take an island, but ... it is heavilly weighted to a numbers game. Get your ships to the island before hand, and it's a matter of the fight.[/quote]

As it should be, and honestly I dont have a problem with numbers.

[quote]Cleaver mentioned the defenders chaining the attackers' ships to docks. This would make this a different game. Ye lose a ship? Even if it's not sunk, you got to sail that replacement in from a nearby island. No instant reinforcements. You could have ships with skeleton crews just keepin' 'er warm in the safe zone, but that takes mates out o' the battle...

While the number of ships ye kin get there matters, it's almost more important to not lose ships because if yer attackin', ye need to be able ter support yerself through the round...[/quote][/quote]

Exactly why the new format is flawed. Ships sunk in a non sinking (or even sinking) blockade are removed from said blockade. Now, however, fleets can be moved in during the 4 hour break. The one advantage a smaller force has it skill, and this long of a break negates the skill of the smaller fleet. While in the past a skilled fleet could use the first few rounds to wear down and sink a larger one, now, there really is no longer that advantage, as the 4 hour break allows for time to move in anything lost.

I like the back to back rounds of the new format, but I strongly dislike the 4 hour break because of this.

Retired

[May 20, 2004 8:11:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

Varthlokkur wrote: 
For bonus points, one could play by play the ships in the blockade by flag :-)

In turn 1292, Shuranthae, navigating Shurely Inshane of Shur Shot made a right turn and score 8 hits against Vengeful Alewife, and 8 hits against Sitting Duck, sinking her and her crew of 32.

This level of play-by-play is entirely possible on the server side, too. But probably very cold... Like, absolute 0...

Still, it'd be a lot of fun of statwhores like me.
[May 20, 2004 8:19:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

AkMedic wrote: 
Exactly why the new format is flawed. Ships sunk in a non sinking (or even sinking) blockade are removed from said blockade. Now, however, fleets can be moved in during the 4 hour break.

Where are you going to put that fleet, though? On a colonized island, you can run the blockade between rounds, and likely face no or little competition, but as an attacker, you can't port there, so those ships must stay at sea - or port at the closest island.

Sure, you can move a new fleet in, and keep them at sea and warm, but if you want to bring in spare ships, each idle vessel needs a pirate onboard to keep it active, and really needs a skeleton crew constantly carping to keep the damage down - they don't need to bilge, or sail - full bilge can be cleared quickly if the ship isn't leaking, and once sails are going, the ship is fine - but damage takes awhile to repair.

Admittedly, a single pirate and swabbies can keep a war brig clear of bilge and damage, but it'll still need to get upto speed, and each spare brig takes someone out of the blockade.

Basically, I don't consider fleet movement a problem. Except for an uncolonized isle, the attacker can't port the ships to make it easy to use them. The defender could, but then again, the attacker could have one brig on active patrol to engage any such reinforcements...

Then again, I haven't seen a four hour blockade in practice, so I may be mistaken. I do like the idea of forcing the attacker to sail the fleet in, instead of just deporting, though. That'd make some islands more defensible - ones which aren't too close to anything (generally, the longer routes) but others would be weak (ie, Midsummer, which is only two leagues from Cranberry)
[May 20, 2004 8:35:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

[quote][quote][quote]Exactly why the new format is flawed. Ships sunk in a non sinking (or even sinking) blockade are removed from said blockade. Now, however, fleets can be moved in during the 4 hour break.[/quote]

Where are you going to put that fleet, though? On a colonized island, you can run the blockade between rounds, and likely face no or little competition, but as an attacker, you can't port there, so those ships must stay at sea - or port at the closest island.[/quote]

It's quite easy to subvert the system. Unfortunate, but easy. Now, this is true during the blockade round, but otherwise, either the port needs to close to all, or this system should go, as it's more annoying than effective.

Retired

[May 20, 2004 8:38:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Silverstar

AkMedic wrote: 
It's quite easy to subvert the system. Unfortunate, but easy. Now, this is true during the blockade round, but otherwise, either the port needs to close to all, or this system should go, as it's more annoying than effective.

True, true. I didn't consider that. Just pass the deed and port away!

Perhaps the port could be closed except to allies of the defender? That does mean, though, neutrals couldn't port, which could be considered 'not fun' for them, although many (most?) neutrals seem to treat a blockade as a closed port, anyways... Whoops, blockade... I'll wait 'til tomorrow, and just take this other ship out, instead...

The above can still be bypassed by giving a deed to a friendly in an alliance, but ... at this point, I think that's okay - the ship would be visible in the friendly crew, and could be noticed, and if it was, it'd point out there was a traitor ... or sympathizer. If it wasn't? Well, tipping off guards or port agents is not an unheard of strategy.

Perhaps another way it could be done is completely closed, with a port agent (or multiple) who manually approves each ship to dock... That'd be kind of interesting, and again ... it leaves an opening for a sympathizer to be exploited, but social methods like that are 'fair' to me. Heck, it could even be vulnerable to putting someone careless / uninformed there... but that's the fault o' the defenders, then...
[May 20, 2004 8:54:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/chirik    Chirik    yppSilvermoon [Link]  Go to top 
Discordia

round 5

362 to 318 Black Sails

Nice round, mates.
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Unknown Greenie wrote: 
My captain said I had to get three broads to be an officer. Can we have that many girlfriends?

[May 20, 2004 1:16:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drabillord

Round 4 was a stunning victory for Black Sail as they blew away the competition ! Round 5 had a slow start for black sails, and probably the crappiest board in blockade history. Equinox was up 100 but black sails did an outstanding job coming back and taking the round!!

Now comes me last round of ht eblockade..round 6
[May 20, 2004 1:17:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    wassaf [Link]  Go to top 
RaytheRigga

Drabillord wrote: 
Round 4 was a stunning victory for Black Sail as they blew away the competition ! Round 5 had a slow start for black sails, and probably the crappiest board in blockade history. Equinox was up 100 but black sails did an outstanding job coming back and taking the round!!

Why would round 6 be the last round of the blockade? or did you mean last round for this set?
[May 20, 2004 1:40:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

RaytheRigga wrote: 

Why would round 6 be the last round of the blockade? or did you mean last round for this set?

Drabillord wrote: 

[May 20, 2004 1:47:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drabillord

Round 6 brought equinox a trashing that they had not seen since Guava. When they got ships into th ematch, they were alreayd 100 points down. the match looks like it will end with Black sails up by 300 points.

yarr! Its been fun eveyrone! /me gives out cookies.

Enjoy the rest of the blockade!
[May 20, 2004 2:15:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    wassaf [Link]  Go to top 
Discordia

Round Six:
536 to 234 Black Sails

Total Rounds:

Black Sails 4
Equinox 2
Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Unknown Greenie wrote: 
My captain said I had to get three broads to be an officer. Can we have that many girlfriends?

[May 20, 2004 2:19:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drewmetoo

Round Seven:
Black Sails by around 150 or so

Total Rounds:
Black Sails 5
Equinox 2

{edit: i booched! fixed now}
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
[Edit 1 times, last edit by drewmetoo at May 20, 2004 7:47:23 PM]
[May 20, 2004 7:47:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Round 7 gave my Clown the expression currently on his face.
[May 20, 2004 7:56:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dolzar

Round 8
Black Sails by 223 points I think,

Total Rounds:
Black Sails: 6
Equinox: 2

At this point Equinox has offical lost its chance of taking the island, but I would like to say the put up a great fight, and it was a blast! And we hope the continue while we try to secure our final bid for the much needed 7th win!

LONG LIVE BLACK SAILS! LONG LIVE THE GREAT ALLIANCE!
~Dolzar~
Scapegoat of Red Dawn, and for the rest of the ocean as well!
[May 20, 2004 8:28:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CookieMonstr

Round 7 goes to Equinox!

Through an insane battle, Equinox started off far behind, but caught up to win the round in the last turn 205 to 199!!

I'm so late to work rihgt now....*sigh*

/me gives out cookies and runs off.
C BE FER COOKIE
AND THAT BE GOOD ENOUGH FER ME!

--
Fizban tells you, "you are a copyright suit waiting to happen....lol"
[May 20, 2004 9:32:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sesamestreet.com [Link]  Go to top 
Shanoyu

It's nice that we're seeing a lot of out-numbered force wins this blockade.
His Holiness, The Dope
[May 20, 2004 9:54:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tommy

CookieMonstr wrote: 
Round 7 goes to Equinox!

Through an insane battle, Equinox started off far behind, but caught up to win the round in the last turn 205 to 199!!

I'm so late to work rihgt now....*sigh*

/me gives out cookies and runs off.

What's more, they did it in the very final turn. Well played mates.

-Greenwolf, so tired, must sleep now.
[May 20, 2004 10:00:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amberyl

Shanoyu wrote: 

My impression is that the numbers on either side are see-sawing back and forth, both due to online activity and regathering forces after a sinking. Any hard data would be really interesting. :)
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[May 20, 2004 10:06:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
PotatoJones

Amberyl wrote: 
Shanoyu wrote: 

My impression is that the numbers on either side are see-sawing back and forth, both due to online activity and regathering forces after a sinking.
Bingo.

I've been on watch fer a good portion o'this blockade and I'll say that it does indeed look like it's been back and forth.
Potato Jones: Steam-Powered, High-Flying
[May 20, 2004 10:07:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    heretogoisaid [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 88   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates