• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  


Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 67
Posts: 67   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7650 times and has 66 replies Next Thread
elbeejay

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 15, 2006
Posts: 907
Status: Offline
Doubloon Prices!

What are people's comments on the rise of doubloon prices?

'Cause, less then a year ago doubloons were only about 400-500 PoE each, now they have gone higher then I've ever seen before as they hit the 1k+ mark each...

If anyone wants to take a pause in tarting and tell me if it's a good idea to invest all my PoE into buying doubloons now before they go up even further that would help.

Happy tarting! =D
----------------------------------------
-Elbee on Hunter, Sage, Viridian, and Malachite
[Sep 22, 2007 5:56:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DonteLewis

Member's Avatar


Joined: Dec 14, 2006
Posts: 262
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

Its great to sell your dubs at this time. So buy your dubs from OOO!!!

See a trend?

My Shanghai Points went from 6 to 34!!!
----------------------------------------
Catch me when the stars collide with the moon...

Jacknife on Hunter
[Sep 22, 2007 6:06:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sammydrisc

Member's Avatar


Joined: Oct 1, 2006
Posts: 913
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

Its all supply and demand, if a lot of people are buying dubs, the price lowers. If not many people are buying dubs, price skyrockets.

 
My Shanghai Points went from 6 to 34!!!
That means people are buying dubs, and the price will hopefully go down to the 800-900 rang per soon.
----------------------------------------
Treewarf of Hunter and Malachite.
[Sep 22, 2007 6:25:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neph

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 13, 2004
Posts: 483
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

Atlantis is the probable cause.

1. Everyone had to buy those bravery badges.
2. Losing loads of ships initially caused people to buy hundreds/thousands to replace them.

I have a feeling we wont drop much below 900 for a considerable amount of time.
----------------------------------------
Neph On all Oceans :)
[Sep 22, 2007 6:54:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Member's Avatar


Joined: Apr 18, 2005
Posts: 4245
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
Atlantis is the probable cause.

1. Everyone had to buy those bravery badges.
2. Losing loads of ships initially caused people to buy hundreds/thousands to replace them.

I have a feeling we wont drop much below 900 for a considerable amount of time.


And that mates, is your answer.
----------------------------------------
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Sep 22, 2007 6:58:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
z02

Member's Avatar


Joined: Nov 19, 2004
Posts: 167
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

This is actually a good this, and hopefully the trend continues within reason. Doubloons should trade for 2000 poe in my opinion. It would raise the standards for /fo chat, chase the idiots out of shopkeeping, and let the credit card captains run blockades for a more reasonable price. Just because prices were far too low in the past doesn't mean they should stay that way in the future.

2k dubs would also cut down on foraging and alt armies. 10k labor badges make slim profit margins less attractive. Of course it would take 4k dubs to make foraging a break even proposition...
[Sep 22, 2007 7:27:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sammydrisc

Member's Avatar


Joined: Oct 1, 2006
Posts: 913
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
This is actually a good this, and hopefully the trend continues within reason. Doubloons should trade for 2000 poe in my opinion. It would raise the standards for /fo chat, chase the idiots out of shopkeeping, and let the credit card captains run blockades for a more reasonable price. Just because prices were far too low in the past doesn't mean they should stay that way in the future.
I disagree, In my opinion, the delivery cost of ships should not be cost twice the amount you payed to have them made like they do now, you are asking for people to pay 40k to build a War Frig, and 140k to deliver it. Logically, thats worse shipping costs then E-bay.
----------------------------------------
Treewarf of Hunter and Malachite.
[Sep 22, 2007 7:47:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maxtachin

Member's Avatar


Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Posts: 21
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
This is actually a good this, and hopefully the trend continues within reason. Doubloons should trade for 2000 poe in my opinion. It would raise the standards for /fo chat, chase the idiots out of shopkeeping, and let the credit card captains run blockades for a more reasonable price. Just because prices were far too low in the past doesn't mean they should stay that way in the future.

2k dubs would also cut down on foraging and alt armies. 10k labor badges make slim profit margins less attractive. Of course it would take 4k dubs to make foraging a break even proposition...


You gotta be kidding right? That rediculouse! (ok so I'm too lazy to look up how to spell it, but I'm not lazy enough to type this) these rising dub prices are only going to result in a bigger need for pillaging...but since we'd need more ships, we'd need more dubs, Can you see the circle? Alt armies do help...
----------------------------------------
Feed the taco kitty your signature!
Emo people should cut them selves off from society
[Sep 22, 2007 7:52:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dommin

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 1, 2007
Posts: 133
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
 
Atlantis is the probable cause.

1. Everyone had to buy those bravery badges.
2. Losing loads of ships initially caused people to buy hundreds/thousands to replace them.

I have a feeling we wont drop much below 900 for a considerable amount of time.


And that mates, is your answer.



QFT! Great response... I completely agree.
----------------------------------------
Dommin on Hunter, Sage, and Viridian
SO in Easy Going
Lord of Coerced Coexistence
[Sep 22, 2007 8:12:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mutino

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jul 7, 2006
Posts: 185
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
 
This is actually a good this, and hopefully the trend continues within reason. Doubloons should trade for 2000 poe in my opinion. It would raise the standards for /fo chat, chase the idiots out of shopkeeping, and let the credit card captains run blockades for a more reasonable price. Just because prices were far too low in the past doesn't mean they should stay that way in the future.

2k dubs would also cut down on foraging and alt armies. 10k labor badges make slim profit margins less attractive. Of course it would take 4k dubs to make foraging a break even proposition...


You gotta be kidding right? That rediculouse! (ok so I'm too lazy to look up how to spell it, but I'm not lazy enough to type this) these rising dub prices are only going to result in a bigger need for pillaging...but since we'd need more ships, we'd need more dubs, Can you see the circle? Alt armies do help...


Pillaging? What's that...? [/sarcasm]

Really, pillaging went out the window with Flotillas (and poker), and Flotillas went halfway out the window with Atlantis. Because people are looking to Atlantis for profit, and random prizes, this need for doubloons is just a horrible vicious circle. Expect another large influx about two weeks from now, when everyone needs to renew their 'Bravery Badge'...
----------------------------------------
Jereico of Hunter/Malachite.
 
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

[Sep 22, 2007 8:20:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sammydrisc

Member's Avatar


Joined: Oct 1, 2006
Posts: 913
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
Expect another large influx about two weeks from now, when everyone needs to renew their 'Bravery Badge'...
Large, but not AS large. Not everyone will get a new one after experiencing it the first time.
----------------------------------------
Treewarf of Hunter and Malachite.
[Sep 22, 2007 8:57:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
z02

Member's Avatar


Joined: Nov 19, 2004
Posts: 167
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

If you're rich, you could move to a subscription ocean for 42 dubs a month. There's no overhead on ships or badges at all there. Or you suck up the cost and buy ships at the same rate with your newfound Atlantis wealth. If you buy ships with a credit card, they actually become cheaper!

If you're a captain to whom 115k now and 200k+ in the future is a huge amount of money, you probably shouldn't be running a WF pillage anyway. The longer it takes to get WFs into the hands of these people, the more experience running a pillage they'll have. That's a good thing.
[Sep 22, 2007 10:56:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 31, 2006
Posts: 3537
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
The longer it takes to get WFs into the hands of these people, the more experience running a pillage they'll have. That's a good thing.



Am I the only one who remembers that little WF called 'Living Word'?
----------------------------------------
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Sep 22, 2007 11:01:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neph

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 13, 2004
Posts: 483
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

This should probably have its own thread but why does everyone always assume foraging armies are a bad thing?

It is fact that foraging does alot more good for the ocean overall than it does bad. Please don't just say its bad when you don't know anything about what it does for the ocean and it's economy.

[/rerail]

just need someone to win the lottery buy like I don't know a few thousand dubs and crash the market :) I would do it but i haven't won the lottery
----------------------------------------
Neph On all Oceans :)
[Sep 23, 2007 12:02:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dalnoth

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 1492
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

I wouldn't have a problem with it if Doubloon costs were actually representing the substitution of a subscription fee like they are suppose to. Instead, its like a luxury tax. If you actually bought all your doubloons to deliver everthing how many thousands of dollers would you people who have been playing the game for 3 years have spent? Doubloons while in concept are a good idea, I just think three rings abuses them to choke money out of players way over what compensation for a "Subscription fee"would be. I understand three rings is a business and they want to make money but there are huge game design flaws with how the doubloon system is set up.
(FYI subscription fee's in average MMO games are around 12$ a month.)
----------------------------------------
Dalnoth
Novo tells ye, "Howtie removed me as a manager from her tailor, my wager swordfighting career is over :(."
[Sep 23, 2007 12:34:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://somethingawful.com [Link]  Go to top 
SchwaWarrior

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 30, 2006
Posts: 780
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
Am I the only one who remembers that little WF called 'Living Word'?

Oh God no. XD

My guess is the ship itself was a gift, and the 18 Shanghais came from the 200+ people in the crew that all jumped on the bandwagon 'cause, well, if you join you're Officer, and of course NOTHING beats that. =B

They're not around anymore though, are they? I haven't seen them since I came back...

Oops, sorry to slightly derail the thread. Oh yeah, this is Hunter Parley... =S
----------------------------------------
*Schwzala* (formerly Schwa)
Avatar by Naimu, with love ^_^

 
Crickket: "One of the most brilliant women I know said, "Only boring people get bored.""

[Sep 23, 2007 12:52:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vetarnian

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 20, 2007
Posts: 126
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
This is actually a good this, and hopefully the trend continues within reason. Doubloons should trade for 2000 poe in my opinion. It would raise the standards for /fo chat, chase the idiots out of shopkeeping, and let the credit card captains run blockades for a more reasonable price. Just because prices were far too low in the past doesn't mean they should stay that way in the future.

2k dubs would also cut down on foraging and alt armies. 10k labor badges make slim profit margins less attractive. Of course it would take 4k dubs to make foraging a break even proposition...


And then what happens when people don't bother buying labour badges because they figure out, well, this isn't worth it? What happens to labour costs of shoppe owners? What if basic labour needs to pay 15 PoE per hour to make it profitable to get one? Who, in the end, will pay the bill, do you think? (Unless you reduce labour to the free day each week, which will reduce supply considerably because of maximum labour hours at shoppes, and therefore lead to the same result. You should see cannonball prices when there is a shortage.) When your rum costs 120 PoE per unit and your cannonballs twice as much as what they normally cost, who will keep on pillaging except the "elites" who already make ludicrous amounts of money? With officer badges twice the original price, who will want to keep on renewing them? There is already widespread talk about how pillaging is broken, this would only be the coup de grâce, and all it would do is throw the game firmly into the hands of the high-scale pokerites, who will have no problem making the parlor badge money back, or the elite players. In other words, it will kill the game for everybody else. If Three Rings doesn't keep this situation in check, or doesn't increase payouts from pillages or foraging on a similar scale (in which case, what's the point of increasing dub prices to begin with?) the entire economy of the ocean will crash, and where will that lead us?

I am already looking for signs of economic breakdown in the luxury market (notice how shoppes pay next to nothing for gold ore these days, though KB still sells well?). If someone owning a furnisher or tailor (the two main luxury lines of items on the ocean) could chime in with evidence of this, this would be much appreciated.

Also troubling is the claim that higher dub prices will be a cure for all the ills of the ocean. Your credit card captains with Solids/Ables will still be around, so will be inept shopkeepers if they worship at the altar of Visa. All it will do is further reduce the efforts of those who want to make all their wealth in-game rather than typing out sixteen digits and an expiry date whenever they're short. (And those people are far from parasites; Three Rings benefits from their presence because doubloons are still needed; the more people playing, the more required, and it doesn't matter who's buying.) If anything, it will negatively affect the /fo chat standards, if it has anything to do with it to begin with.

Okay, fine, increase the doubloon prices to 2K, 4K even. Then sit back and watch all the casual players sail away into the sunset.
----------------------------------------
Vetarnian on Emerald, ex-Hunter.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Vetarnian at Sep 23, 2007 2:05:44 AM]
[Sep 23, 2007 1:59:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
z02

Member's Avatar


Joined: Nov 19, 2004
Posts: 167
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 

And then what happens when people don't bother buying labour badges because they figure out, well, this isn't worth it? What happens to labour costs of shoppe owners? What if basic labour needs to pay 15 PoE per hour to make it profitable to get one? Who, in the end, will pay the bill, do you think?

Your credit card captains with Solids/Ables will still be around, so will be inept shopkeepers if they worship at the altar of Visa.


You answered your own question, although I don't know of any credit card captains who are inept at navigation. Some don't do so well at shopkeeping, but that's because their goals are different. They use their shoppes to supply themselves, not to make a profit.

 

When your rum costs 120 PoE per unit and your cannonballs twice as much as what they normally cost, who will keep on pillaging except the "elites" who already make ludicrous amounts of money?


Costs won't quite double, but they will raise to subscription ocean prices. Pillaging won't die, but it will be harder to make a profit running your own ship. That just means there will be fewer navvers of higher quality. The jobbers on those pillages will make more money on the average since they don't have to pay for supplies. That's how it works currently on subscription oceans.
[Sep 23, 2007 6:23:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twisted317

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Posts: 600
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
I wouldn't have a problem with it if Doubloon costs were actually representing the substitution of a subscription fee like they are suppose to. Instead, its like a luxury tax. If you actually bought all your doubloons to deliver everthing how many thousands of dollers would you people who have been playing the game for 3 years have spent? Doubloons while in concept are a good idea, I just think three rings abuses them to choke money out of players way over what compensation for a "Subscription fee"would be. I understand three rings is a business and they want to make money but there are huge game design flaws with how the doubloon system is set up.
(FYI subscription fee's in average MMO games are around 12$ a month.)


OOO doesn't really mess with the dubloon prices, it is set by market supply and demand. Just because there's a high demand, the prices went up; it's not because OOO decided they should go up.
----------------------------------------
Twisted (Hunter Ocean)
[Sep 23, 2007 7:53:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
beotian

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 26, 2007
Posts: 290
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
 
I wouldn't have a problem with it if Doubloon costs were actually representing the substitution of a subscription fee like they are suppose to. Instead, its like a luxury tax. If you actually bought all your doubloons to deliver everthing how many thousands of dollers would you people who have been playing the game for 3 years have spent? Doubloons while in concept are a good idea, I just think three rings abuses them to choke money out of players way over what compensation for a "Subscription fee"would be. I understand three rings is a business and they want to make money but there are huge game design flaws with how the doubloon system is set up.
(FYI subscription fee's in average MMO games are around 12$ a month.)


OOO doesn't really mess with the dubloon prices, it is set by market supply and demand. Just because there's a high demand, the prices went up; it's not because OOO decided they should go up.


However,OOO influenced the increasement of demand by making a new 5-dub badge. That's a fact,really.

OOO is a company like any other company. In company land, profit is close to the only goal.
----------------------------------------
Beotian
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by beotian at Sep 23, 2007 8:05:01 AM]
[Sep 23, 2007 8:04:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wokbok117



Joined: Nov 18, 2005
Posts: 1279
Status: Offline

Re: Doubloon Prices!

Vetarnian wrote:
 

I am already looking for signs of economic breakdown in the luxury market (notice how shoppes pay next to nothing for gold ore these days, though KB still sells well?). If someone owning a furnisher or tailor (the two main luxury lines of items on the ocean) could chime in with evidence of this, this would be much appreciated.


You made me laugh. There is this really cool theory about supply and demand. When there is more supply then demand (GOLD) prices drop, when there is less supply then demand (KB) prices go up.

As for dubloon prices, why do we always try to blame OOO for the rise and fall of dubloon prices. A really cool thing happened this month, kids went to school. Kids in school means less Y!PP, means less "Mom/Dad can I buy dubs I'll be really good" (in some cases younger people do work for the money they spend on dubloons, and I don't mean to offend those that do). It seems every September we argue about a rise in dubloon prices, every December/January we argue about a decline, every March/April a rise, every June another decline.

To add to the problem let's add the regular dubloon buyers that wait until the declines to sell. Some adults work really hard in real life, but would like to enjoy the game too. They take part of their extra money and they put it into the game. Generally, they wait until the declines to sell a big bulk of their dubloons, this way they make the most PoE per dollar.

[derail] If you are going to argue that this is unfair that people use real life wealth to buy wealth in the game, look at the whole reason for dubloon oceans. These oceans create a time/money ratio for gaining PoE. If you have a lot of time to spend in the game (not working in real life) you can earn a lot of money in the game without investing real life money. If you do not have a lot of time, it will cost you more real life money in order to achieve the same wealth as a person that plays a lot. [/derail]

Next point. People buy dubloons while they're low to sell when they are high? Wow! The week when Hunter had dubloons in the 500s to 600s I bought 4k dubloons. If I sold now, I would be close to doubling up. I know that I am not the only speculator in the game.

Zo2 wrote:
 
2k dubs would also cut down on foraging and alt armies. 10k labor badges make slim profit margins less attractive. Of course it would take 4k dubs to make foraging a break even proposition...


I have bought enough dubloons to last through the high prices. I know I am not the only forager that capitalized on low dubloon prices to keep profits through the higher price times. I can last until the Christmas drop in dubloon prices fairly easily. On another note, even with your 2k dubloon idea, the first month, you would break even if you foraged every badge every day, the second month, you would PROFIT the same amount as the dubloons cost you (give or take 200 PoE per dubloon per badge). It will not affect foragers that can do math and calculate cost/profit, not to mention getting people to not buy dubloons with a credit card for long enough to make dubloons 2k each is next to impossible.

Atlantis is a very minor contributor to the dubloon "problem" or price rise right now. Without Atlantis, dubloons would be rising right now anyway, due to the trends of buying dubloons with a credit card.

Edit: spelling errors (more to come probably)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wokbok117 at Sep 23, 2007 9:20:28 AM]
[Sep 23, 2007 9:18:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maxtachin

Member's Avatar


Joined: Nov 19, 2006
Posts: 21
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

Lets see here, we have wok-bok's theory of, Mommy daddy Ill be good theory, combined with the "good grades" combined with the rising number of underaged players, due mainly to sites like miniclip (no offence) and armor games, I think, the dub prices will likely continue to rise until a billionair invests 3million dollars into dubs and kills the price...for the week at least, and that wont happen either, so, we just gotta all become ELITE POKER PLAYERS and rob the greenies of their poe at the 20k-200k tables >.> or we update OOO censors, and do mass bannage, goodbye banstick, hello banship, hehe...Get shot by those Cannons chainguns and your dead...sorry for going off topic, but a good idea that can be done NOW is, buy dubs, sell them, become pro dub traders, buy estate, island, sit on arse and act like a COMPLETE idiot around the docks and panic about suffacating from your atlantean helmet!

PS, I think I mis-used the ban stick...it DOES ban people right?
----------------------------------------
Feed the taco kitty your signature!
Emo people should cut them selves off from society
[Sep 23, 2007 10:06:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Durgonstead

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Posts: 1634
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
If you're a captain to whom 115k now and 200k+ in the future is a huge amount of money, you probably shouldn't be running a WF pillage anyway. The longer it takes to get WFs into the hands of these people, the more experience running a pillage they'll have. That's a good thing.


200k is a huge amount to me, compared to what I usually have, and I bet I can run a War Frigate at least as well as you (I used to pull in 650k + 2 blood total booty with some greenies, mostly low yellowies, an elite or two and a few semi-elites). Amount of PoE you have is an awful correlation to your skill. It's a better correlation to your work ethic.
----------------------------------------
Drajl.

 
Flamer tells you, "Drajl, you are the smartest, most incredible, awesomest person ever.

[Sep 23, 2007 10:51:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
YokoMoko



Joined: Mar 26, 2005
Posts: 1495
Status: Offline

Re: Doubloon Prices!

I subscribed for 42 doubs just before Atlantis come out, just as I wanted to, the doub prices went up to about 1600 each, but then died down gain after a few minutes. I guess someone moved oceans or something. But anyway yeah I got a dude on Midnight, I just need to find time to get money there, if I am as successful there in poker as on Green oceans, i am certain I will be better off in the long run with ships etc.


Note I know people from midnight won't want me coming in because all I really do once I got enough poe is poker but meh! I will contribute my way to the econemy if I get rich :)
----------------------------------------
Yokomoko - Hunter

Cairi wrote:
 
Think of it as foreplay and look forward to the release

[Sep 23, 2007 11:20:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
z02

Member's Avatar


Joined: Nov 19, 2004
Posts: 167
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 

200k is a huge amount to me, compared to what I usually have, and I bet I can run a War Frigate at least as well as you (I used to pull in 650k + 2 blood total booty with some greenies, mostly low yellowies, an elite or two and a few semi-elites). Amount of PoE you have is an awful correlation to your skill. It's a better correlation to your work ethic.


I've seen your war brig pillages, and they are much better than I could do. They're some of the better run pillages on the ocean.

That said, with 650k booty, you should clear at least 100k after restock and XO cut. Wouldn't it be easier to make 200k in two runs where you don't have a problem getting jobbers than it is to make 100k in one run now where you have to compete with incompetent WB pillagers for jobbers?
[Sep 23, 2007 12:27:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Durgonstead

Member's Avatar


Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Posts: 1634
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
 

200k is a huge amount to me, compared to what I usually have, and I bet I can run a War Frigate at least as well as you (I used to pull in 650k + 2 blood total booty with some greenies, mostly low yellowies, an elite or two and a few semi-elites). Amount of PoE you have is an awful correlation to your skill. It's a better correlation to your work ethic.


I've seen your war brig pillages, and they are much better than I could do. They're some of the better run pillages on the ocean.

That said, with 650k booty, you should clear at least 100k after restock and XO cut. Wouldn't it be easier to make 200k in two runs where you don't have a problem getting jobbers than it is to make 100k in one run now where you have to compete with incompetent WB pillagers for jobbers?


Mind giving me your character name for the sake of curiousity (PM).

Anyways, that said, I made about 250k those runs. I didn't do them often because I didn't want to, and the 250k would usually last all of 5 minutes on poker. 200k - 250k is a lot to me, I think.

But again, PoE isn't a good way to show skill. PoE just shows your work ethic, I think. That and your carousing skill/ability to not get annoyed.
----------------------------------------
Drajl.

 
Flamer tells you, "Drajl, you are the smartest, most incredible, awesomest person ever.

[Sep 23, 2007 12:42:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dalnoth

Member's Avatar


Joined: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 1492
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
 
I wouldn't have a problem with it if Doubloon costs were actually representing the substitution of a subscription fee like they are suppose to. Instead, its like a luxury tax. If you actually bought all your doubloons to deliver everthing how many thousands of dollers would you people who have been playing the game for 3 years have spent? Doubloons while in concept are a good idea, I just think three rings abuses them to choke money out of players way over what compensation for a "Subscription fee"would be. I understand three rings is a business and they want to make money but there are huge game design flaws with how the doubloon system is set up.
(FYI subscription fee's in average MMO games are around 12$ a month.)


OOO doesn't really mess with the dubloon prices, it is set by market supply and demand. Just because there's a high demand, the prices went up; it's not because OOO decided they should go up.

Three rings can influence the doubloon market as dommin stated and that was the sole purpose of this badge. My point being, Doubloon costs (The amount of Doubloons it takes to deliver things) is not relative to a subscription fee. For example if you bought all your doubloons, at 12$ a month (What a subscription fee costs these days) you wouldn't even be able to deliver one war frigate. 12$ would buy you around 60 doubloons. After all the badges you have to replace now, Labor=5, Parlor = 4, Officer = 8, Atlantis = 5. You are already down 22 doubs.
----------------------------------------
Dalnoth
Novo tells ye, "Howtie removed me as a manager from her tailor, my wager swordfighting career is over :(."
[Sep 23, 2007 3:13:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://somethingawful.com [Link]  Go to top 
Neph

Member's Avatar


Joined: May 13, 2004
Posts: 483
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

 
 
 
I wouldn't have a problem with it if Doubloon costs were actually representing the substitution of a subscription fee like they are suppose to. Instead, its like a luxury tax. If you actually bought all your doubloons to deliver everthing how many thousands of dollers would you people who have been playing the game for 3 years have spent? Doubloons while in concept are a good idea, I just think three rings abuses them to choke money out of players way over what compensation for a "Subscription fee"would be. I understand three rings is a business and they want to make money but there are huge game design flaws with how the doubloon system is set up.
(FYI subscription fee's in average MMO games are around 12$ a month.)


OOO doesn't really mess with the dubloon prices, it is set by market supply and demand. Just because there's a high demand, the prices went up; it's not because OOO decided they should go up.

Three rings can influence the doubloon market as dommin stated and that was the sole purpose of this badge. My point being, Doubloon costs (The amount of Doubloons it takes to deliver things) is not relative to a subscription fee. For example if you bought all your doubloons, at 12$ a month (What a subscription fee costs these days) you wouldn't even be able to deliver one war frigate. 12$ would buy you around 60 doubloons. After all the badges you have to replace now, Labor=5, Parlor = 4, Officer = 8, Atlantis = 5. You are already down 22 doubs.


Doubloon oceans are not meant to represent a subscription!!

You must be able to understand that? Seriously you get to play the game for free everything is free Doubs are there if you want to buy they aren't there to be a representation of a subscription game like WoW or something.

Thats what a subscription ocean such as Middy or Cobolt is for
----------------------------------------
Neph On all Oceans :)
[Sep 23, 2007 4:33:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Colbear



Joined: Aug 30, 2006
Posts: 11
Status: Offline

Re: Doubloon Prices!

10 bucks a month is about 40 dubs, guys. Do you normally need more than 40 dubs/month on average for delivering stuff? 3 years = 36 months = 1440 dubs.
[Sep 23, 2007 5:16:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TarnumTheRed

Member's Avatar


Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Posts: 4186
Status: Offline
Re: Doubloon Prices!

As Neph mentioned, Doubloon oceans are not meant to be equal to a subscriber ocean in costs, etc. The Doubloon model was made for the casual player who wanted everything available for free. The offset of getting to play for free, is the need to work harder to be able to afford in-game items. That model is by design and is no secret. If you truly believe that you should be able to have the same exact privileges and playing environment as someone who pays a monthly subscription while you play for free, then please go to the end of the "I understand business and economics" line.

As far as the price, as doubloon oceans mature, the doubloon proces will shift greatly. They are not massively expensive now, they were just very cheap comparatively for a very long time.
----------------------------------------
Tarnum

Darvid wrote: 
I guess it's just fun to poke the retarded bunny.
Muroni wrote: 
Who isn't sure that leif will let me enter him, but I'm willing to try.

[Sep 23, 2007 5:44:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 67   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates