• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 105
Posts: 105   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 73885 times and has 104 replies Next Thread
Freaks87

Re: XOing and MAA strategy on Atlantis runs (Work in Progress) Reply to this Post

What does XO and MAA stand for?

XO = Executive Officer

MAA = Man At Arms

What are frays?

Frays are (using atlantis as an example) swordfights against Dragoons. The MAA is in charge of frays.

Haunted Seas frays.

Can you get injurys from SMHs?

Yes you can. You can get all the normal ones (Peg leg, eye patch, wooden leg) aswell as the starfish unique to atlantis. In a HS you can become a temporary ghost, but you can't get a starfish.
[Apr 8, 2011 11:17:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hrengito

Re: XOing and MAA strategy on Atlantis runs Reply to this Post

Here to add my opinion/trip report! Though, slightly different, as it's at HS.

The reason I'd advise against the use of baghlahs is the lack of lazers. With the ship's might, you're still likely to get 3 dragoons to fight off at a time, and to find 5-6 defenders to take them out, you're bound to leave one station undermanned. The extra buffer of lazers a brig adds to your defenders can be extremely useful.

On a baghlah there is no lazing space

The same is true of a longship. And, of course, it's even more fragile, and lower-firepower, and pulling defenders off station will be worse, but it's faster. (Note, I did it in HS). Boarding rate is a little odd, as the first entry I ended up having to exit due to excess boarders, as I was doing all the command jobs (XO, BNav, MAA) as well as occasionally loading guns (Don't do this; you'll miss a turn at some point and likely sink). This was partly due to getting boarders in two consecutive moves, to the tune of 2-3 boarders each. The vast majority of the time it was possible to keep it down to frays of 2-3 boarders versus defenders, with multiple minutes between frays. Still not sure what caused that spike.

Additional note: Long enough on rejobbing will still clear your boarder status, to my chagrin, as I had told everybody they'd need to volunteer for a clearing fray... and none was needed.

in HS, ship graveyards are good at the dual-purpose of a safe full-clear fray option and getting rid of a too-nearby cloud of ships if they're hassling you. (The ship-clearing is still a little small, though)

From my analysis of it I conclude the same - that everybody should accept the 1 on 1s unless they hate swordfighting
This is probably true. Unfortunately I kind of dislike swordfighting, as I am only just beginning to be able to intentionally get nice builds. HS ghosts are leagues easier than dragoons though. Tridents are the best "sword" in the game, my amateur analysis suggests- easy layers, no predetermined fusing, and aqua will never vertically connect between its attacks and your drops.

Also, gunners accepting 1v1 is kind of a no-no, unless you've too many gunners.

whistle annoyances
I find the annoyance greatly decreased, as a jobber, when the XO warns beforehand. Or if they ask for whatever beforehand. Of course, this does not cover the situations where you are "at 80% damage stations now now now!!!" which can happen very quickly on smaller ships. Then, it's a little too important for quiet, polite orders.
----------------------------------------
Hrengito on all oceans, primarily Sage. Memmed: Sage(356/356).Viridian sea(25/282).
Best solo recorded 2-stop 50L time: 60m. In opposition to aftcastles for sloops everywhere.
[Apr 9, 2011 4:48:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Here's a dumb question: Somebody recently changed the wiki to call the MaA the "Master at Arms". Has the terminology changed in the game when you go to appoint an MaA or is this something that he made up?
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Apr 11, 2011 9:27:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

It was me that changed the wiki - the reasons are cited in the notes, but the reason is the definition of a "man at arms" vs. a "master at arms". Using historical definitions, a man at arms is an employee while a master at arms is a designated person whose job it is to train and lead multiple men at arms. When I searched on "Master at Arms" in the wiki, there was a stub that automatically redirected to the man at arms page - all I did was reverse the redirect to be more historically correct. I aplogize if this caused anyone any undue anxiety.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Apr 11, 2011 5:07:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

That sounds like a reasonable change. I changed it in a few more places. It's odd, I noticed that another editor (not you?) changed the "Haunted Seas" article on April 6, a few days before you changed the "Master at Arms" article. I had reverted that Haunted Seas article, because no edit summary had been given. I've re-added the change given your explanation.

It may serve to note also that Three Rings apparently uses the term "Man-at-arms", there is an Ice Changelog with that term in it. Not the first time they've been wrong, though. And there's no documentation in the Official namespace with either term.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Apr 11, 2011 5:28:27 PM]
[Apr 11, 2011 5:14:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

It sounds reasonable, but by that reasoning we should change Artemis to read "Goddess of the Hunt" instead of "OceanMaster heavily involved in events." My question is what is it called in the game? Since I don't navigate into Sea Monster situations I don't have any first-hand experience, so I thought I'd ask here. If it's just "Appoint MaA" then Master of Man it makes no difference, but if it stills says Man then it should stay the way it was.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Apr 11, 2011 5:20:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
marundel

That's a good question - I know folks in my crew have always called it Master at Arms or simply MAA or M@A. I haven't really paid attention when I'm jobbed on someone else's ship.

LJAmethyst makes an excellent point - whenever anyone edits the wiki, make sure to post edit notes. Otherwise, there is no way to validate the changes. Credibility is already an issue with wikis in general, and the folks who do the lion's share of the work in the YPPedia really do an excellent job of keeping the info in there as credible as possible in spite of speculative changes.
Pizzahutpete on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince, Super Awesomeness
SO, Boochin' Drunks

Pizzahutpete everywhere, thanks to the merge
[Apr 11, 2011 5:33:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.thehomebrewstore.com    meadbrewer [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

As I said on your talk page, Marundel, it's not the historical usage that's important for the wiki, but rather what gets used in the game. If the game uses "Man at Arms" then the article should be called "Man at Arms" regardless of what makes more sense, historically speaking or otherwise. It might be worth adding a note on the page saying "historically speaking, 'Master at Arms' would be the usual title for this position" or something like that, but so long as the game uses "Man at Arms", then that's what the article should be called.

We need to check the game itself rather than speculating or looking at the official documentation. Like Fiddler, I don't run SMHes, so I can't check myself, but please, don't just hypothesise.
[Apr 11, 2011 6:25:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
riku743

I've heard both on SMHs, but I've always thought that it was Master at Arms and the people who said Man at Arms were just weird. From what I've seen, Master is used more, but they're both used.
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Apr 11, 2011 8:52:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cranepirates

Hoy!

I am going to be heading out to atlantis in a few days (or hours, Depending XD) And would like to know a few things, yes I read the OP.

I will most likely be going out on a Junk. Good or bad?

How stocked should I have it?

How many jobbers should I have before heading out?

What atlantean vessels are easier to sink?

How many people should be on each station, How many people should defend?

Should I have my SO with me on this run?

How likely is it to sink my ship?

About how much will I make?

Is it worth it.

I would be yer bestest friend if you reply to this! thanks
RIP Cobalt

Halflight of Cerulean
Captain of Treble Makers
King of Musicology
My Awesome Avatar by Angelira !
[Apr 12, 2011 2:30:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Hoy!

I am going to be heading out to atlantis in a few days (or hours, Depending XD) And would like to know a few things, yes I read the OP.

I will most likely be going out on a Junk. Good or bad?

Depends. Junks are used a lot on citadel runs, because you have good survivability while not needing many people on stations-- it's hard to get 30, 45, or 75 players capable of winning a citadel battle.

On the other hand, junks don't have the same firepower that brig+ has, so that's a major downside.

How many jobbers should I have before heading out?

What atlantean vessels are easier to sink?

How many people should be on each station, How many people should defend?

Should I have my SO with me on this run?

How likely is it to sink my ship?

18 jobbers before entering
triketos, then gorgons, then archons.
Full carp, and full or nearly full sails and bilge, 2 guns. 1-3 dedicated defenders, plus anyone who volunteers.
Yes, if he's competent.
And if you didn't know the answer to the earlier questions (especially not the first two), then the answer to the last one is "probably".

About how much will I make?

Is it worth it.

Odds are, you're going to sink. Even the experienced navigators sink on a semi-regular basis. On a PoE return basis, it's only worth it if you can win a few citadels and not sink, OR if you're on a subscription ocean where you don't have to pay delivery fees for the ship and you survive at all. On a "was it fun?" basis-- well, that's up to you.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 12, 2011 3:06:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

The only place the term appears is in the pop up menu when you're about to order someone to do it. I think it says Man-at-arms but it's a while since I ran a trip.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Apr 13, 2011 11:18:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RoketQueen

I went on an atlantis trip a few nights ago and it was phrased as "men at arms (1)."

Edit - This was from hovering my mouse over the symbol icon in the vessels tab.
Roketqueen
[Edit 1 times, last edit by RoketQueen at Apr 14, 2011 8:00:16 AM]
[Apr 14, 2011 7:59:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Philipine7

I was told as Man at arms, yet on the ship menu it is under men at arms
Master at arms is reasonable however
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Philipine

Philipine
(sage ocean)
Senior Officer and First Mate of : The Sexy Crue
Prince of : The Very Sexy Flag
[Nov 19, 2011 3:34:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    philipineofsage@y7mail.com [Link]  Go to top 
khaloda2

Re: XOing and MAA strategy on Atlantis runs (Work in Progress) Reply to this Post

About MAAing me have got a great idea... me MAAed 3 times till i got this... on any ship u gonna need perm defenders, my idea is for WFs ... u gonna need 15 perm defenders master+ u can fight with them 10-12 of goons, u can also pick 5 from your best perm defenders to fight 4 goons with them but those perm defenders should know well how to team . this way will make u use too less ppl than usual so that most of your jobbers will station and some of them defending and this would help to stay much more in one entry and also u get more lucky with chests as MAA XD

Lodaz on meridian
Lodaz meridian
I AM THE PRESIDENT
[Aug 7, 2012 12:42:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 105   Pages: 4   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates