• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 105
Posts: 105   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 73879 times and has 104 replies Next Thread
AlfMason

XOing and MAA strategy on Atlantis runs (Work in Progress) Reply to this Post

Let me preface this by saying that all of the following are my own opinions, and do not claim to be the truth.

General:

What the naver wants to know: While stuck in the nav screen, the navigator is pretty much blind. You are his eyes on the ship. Navigators will need updates on the number of bellators and the number of defenders, so they know when to leave the board to shake them. Navigators may also need in-between updates on the amount of stock on the ship, as the run goes on - lots of runs are pretty much stocked for eternity, but it's always good to know these things. This information should run via a designated chat channel (/o), or, if you have it, voice chat.

What the jobbers want to know: Ever so often, you see someone dismiss their station and wander to the booty chest to look what's there. You can either yell at these jobbers, which is the stressful way, or you shout out the numbers at every break. Then the jobbers' curiosity is satisfied, and they have one less reason to abandon stations - it's win-win.
EDIT: this has been partially addressed with the reports now saying what has been hauled since the last break - a voyage total is still nice, though

10% what you're saying, 20% how you say it, 70% how you look:

Jobbers dislike bossy XOs. Someone who's constantly yelling creates a bad atmosphere on a ship. A good XO will give out praise lavishly, and bark commands sparingly. If it's one person you're concerned with, /tells and whistles are the way to go rather than adding even more to vessel spam.

MAA:

This can be done the easy way or the hard way. The easy way means you tell all lazers to defend, and start frays ever so often, as long as you substantially outnuber the foe. If the numbers run too high, tell the navigator to get off the board. - EDIT: This won't work anymore since the last update, as dragoons won't go away.
The harder way means more work for the MAA, but should ideally allow a ship to ward off bellators for longer: Get as many people as possible to defend and manage them manually. Gear the fray size to the challenge. If you have a fray against 4 belators you can of course send in 20 players, but that may not be so clever. If you do this, you'll have 5 people per bellator, which means the bellators will mainly stall against attacks, and the fight takes longer. Try to have them outnumbered by a comfortable margin, but don't overdo it. The number of your defenders should be less than three times the number of bellators, 1.5 times should be enough.
If the situation gets tight, pull people from stations sparingly to pad out your numbers. Contrary to what most think, the station you can take most people away from without hurting the ship is sails.

EDIT: Bellators will now hang around your ship if you exit, and come back once you reenter the board. To deal with this with high numbers of bellators, good communication with the naver is needed. Get as many people to volunteer that you can trounce them. A clearing fight like this can be done within the safe zone, without the risk of new bellators boarding. To get it over with quick, tell people to throw their challenges in the safe zone, if you're gonna have a big fray, individual challenges will only delay the desired effect. Then start the fray, fight it out in the safe zone, and get a clear ship.

EDIT2: As the MAA is the person defenders should listen to, he/she can give out teaming strategies. I have personally found that it works to give out the strategy to kill allectus first, then eparchos, then kybernete, then bellator. These are their ranks, from highest to lowest. I could be mistaken about the effects, as I don't have a reliable sample, but in my experience with this advice given out, the sea cucumber was beaten more often than with just "teams of 3". The reasoning is of course, that with the hardest guys taking out first, while your board is still fairly uncluttered, the sum of attacks coming is decreased more than when you kill bellators first.

MOAR EDIT: Remind people to volunteer and re-volunteer. When someone accepts a 1-on-1 challenge they are automatically unchecked from the defenders list, but not rechecked once they finish, win or lose. Over time your defnders will get challenged, which can lead to dwindling defender numbers.

Also, allow people to re-volunteer: As you can currently only volunteer when there is no fray going on, and at some point you're fighting frays back to back, give your waiting would-be volunteers a warning when they can get back in. Ideally there's "fray about to end" and "those waiting, volunteer now", which should be enough to catch people's attention while not being too spammy.

If you make the effort to go that extra league and manage fights well, your ship should be better equipped to handle larger numbers of bellators, and the fights should for the most part be short and sweet.

Planking:

For some reason, people still like to put TH over the well-being of the ship. Generally, the rule should be to TH when you can, unless told differently. Sadly, this won't always work. So the rule needs to be enforced. If someone runs to TH in a damage control situation repeatedly, do not hesitate to plank, and make it public what they did wrong. Even worse, if someone abandons a bellator fray to TH, they should be planked with swiftness.

Managing Jobber turnover:

One turn before leaving the board to reenter, the XO should make a ship broadcast for people to contact their hearties, so you fill quickly while at the LP. Jobbers should be told whether you're leaving for port or to go back in, people who have to hop should be encouraged to do so right on leaving the board. I've seen it way to often that people don't know what's going on, spam "we gonna port?" for a while, then, when the naves shouts "going back in" decide to bail. Give them information, so they can make an informed decision quickly.

Don't hesitate to job people from the battle board while on your way out. Inform them via crew chat that you'll be out shortly and will yell. The shorter you sit at the league point waiting, the better for morale.

~-~-~-~-~
That's all I can think of right now, I'd very much appreciate discussion and the addition of what I might have missed the blatantly obvious stuff that somehow slipped my mind when typing this.

Thanks.

Edited for better readability and to keep trace of the updates.
----------------------------------------
Mullins on Midnight, Stinks on Ice

Have a problem with me in Game Design? Read this

I'd call him a sadistic, hippophilic necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by AlfMason at Sep 28, 2007 8:47:24 AM]
[Sep 15, 2007 9:10:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CashCarStar

Re: XOing and MAA strategy on Atlantis runs Reply to this Post

Planking:

For some reason, people still like to put TH over the well-being of the ship. Generally, the rule should be to TH when you can, unless told differently. Sadly, this won't always work. So the rule needs to be enforced. If someone runs to TH in a damage control situation repeatedly, do not hesitate to plank, and make it public what they did wrong. Even worse, if someone abandons a bellator fray to TH, they should be planked with swiftness.

Quick thought, probably belongs in GD - but would it be beneficial for the message to say "Soandso has abandoned a carpentry station" or "Soandso has abandoned a bilge station"?

Also, I don't XO very often, as I really like puzzling, but when I have, I have found tells to be extremely effective with individual lazing pirates. I tell them directly and upfront that I really don't want to plank them, but that I'll have to if they don't get to work or something. I feel it's appreciated more because they know I'm not calling them out on /vessel. Also, it's way more personal and shows I'm paying attention.
Festrunk - Viridian
[Sep 16, 2007 8:20:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lesleywalker

Quick thought, probably belongs in GD - but would it be beneficial for the message to say "Soandso has abandoned a carpentry station" or "Soandso has abandoned a bilge station"?

Personally (from the jobber point of view) I'd prefer not to see those messages at all in Atlantis. There are so many of them they get in the way of the stuff you need to see (ie whose turn to TH and other orders). I'm quite convinced that a lot of the problems people have are due to orders being lost in the noise.

Maybe there should be a control for XO (similar to what the MAA has?) to set a maximum on the number who can TH and maybe organise teams.

(Yes, this is GD stuff, but it makes sense to formulate ideas first in order to present a sensible proposal)
Rumbletum - FO, Crimson Sabers, Colbalt
Cheery - Alchemist, Ankh-Morpork City Watch, Cobalt
Jinxed Idol links
[Sep 16, 2007 7:20:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chupchup

Heartily endorse! Now make it so they are only visible to officers on the ship. And take the jobbing messages and make them only visible to officers in crew, and we're golden.
The pirate formerly known as Ljamethyst.

I think the Sublime trophy is a happy idea. Sublime is to be celebrated.

[Sep 16, 2007 8:40:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Ljamethyst [Link]  Go to top 
sammybingo

I like what Mullins wrote muchly. I've only done these jobs once or twice, steep learning curve, here's a bit of what I grasped.

I strongly concur with the "All defend" then the MAA can select who will enter each fray accordingly. If one is purely acting as MAA, and accordingly have time, there is some chance you can also try to get it so everyone has a go, and check stats to see who are the strongest fighters on board. It might also be worth thinking about giving SFers a break every now and then - fray after fray after fray can really drive you a bit loopy, and I know I can lose my focus after about 6 back to back.

Tells are a really good way for getting people to station, and ask nicely :) People respond to requests that much more happily if they think they are doing something ace for you, rather than if they feel like they are at school.

And don't hesitate to plank ANYONE who leaves a fray to TH (unless the timing was a bit off - I started a fray at the same time the TH option came up and had half the group accidentally hop out of it - oops. Keep an eye on when TH will be available!) and make an example of them. Anyone who doesn't have a big bucket of team spirit is a waste of space on a ship.

Oh, and try to keep an eye out on Gunners. If they all get challenged (it has happened), ruhoh, hop on yourself if you have to, before the navver runs out. Sucks to have no boomy.

A note to navvers though - if leaving the board to clear off beasties or anything, warn your XO, as there may be a few free spots, and a waiting list :D thirty seconds at the LP can't hurt that much? I hope?! It might be worth poking your XO in advance of the TH option coming up, if they haven't noticed, to say "No TH" if needed. Some newbos like me might not notice its coming.

Oh, and if you forget to start a fray and too many beasties are on board, be honest and tell the navver he might want to consider the safe zone. Dead embarassing :S

I heartily endorse a thread for tips on these jobs - it is a bit daunting (but super fun) to have a go the first time. I hope I learnt from my errors last time hehe. I think the best XO's are the ones who remember it IS a game and make everything seem a bit lighthearted, and say please and thank you, can't buy manners.
Sammybingo of all oceans but Opal.
I speak for myself, and myself alone. I do not represent any flag or crew. PFFT.
Mightyboosh's fruit protection advice:

I eat the bananas, poo in the skin, and carefully seal it back together again.

[Sep 17, 2007 4:58:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rolld20

Not to add too much complexity, but it might be good for the CO to assign someone as 'liason' to the jobbers, in charge of making announcements.
Jobbers like/need to know: whether the ship will be porting or returning, what stations need to be filled, when *not* to TH, and whether they're doing something deleterious and in danger of planking. That's really too much for the Bnaver to keep track of.

Oh, once when I joined an Atl trip, I ran around looking for an open station and saw 4-5 sleepers or DCs. The liason officer could be in charge of booting these deadweights, too.
Greyrat of Viridian
-------------

"The server is under heavy load due to calculating exactly how big of an idiot you are"

[Sep 17, 2007 9:09:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Not to add too much complexity, but it might be good for the CO to assign someone as 'liason' to the jobbers, in charge of making announcements.
Jobbers like/need to know: whether the ship will be porting or returning, what stations need to be filled, when *not* to TH, and whether they're doing something deleterious and in danger of planking. That's really too much for the Bnaver to keep track of.

Oh, once when I joined an Atl trip, I ran around looking for an open station and saw 4-5 sleepers or DCs. The liason officer could be in charge of booting these deadweights, too.

That's generally what an XO does. Well, it's what *my* XO's do and it's what I do when XOing.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Sep 17, 2007 9:39:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Also, I don't XO very often, as I really like puzzling, but when I have, I have found tells to be extremely effective with individual lazing pirates. I tell them directly and upfront that I really don't want to plank them, but that I'll have to if they don't get to work or something. I feel it's appreciated more because they know I'm not calling them out on /vessel. Also, it's way more personal and shows I'm paying attention.

When I XO I use an escalating warning system. Start with a 'is something wrong?' tell, a 'please take an x station', finishing with a vessel wide warning about it being their third warning and they'll be planked if they don't station up. Usually followed by cheers upon said planking.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Sep 17, 2007 11:13:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CashCarStar

I don't like asking someone if something is wrong, because I feel that is too indirect. I don't want to be harsh, but I don't like layering my intentions that way.
Festrunk - Viridian
[Sep 17, 2007 3:33:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Well, it's usually a little longer than that, is there something wrong? Is there a reason you're not taking a station?

And sometimes there is a reason, which is fine, if they let me know.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Sep 17, 2007 3:39:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AlfMason

Added some improvements and adjusted it to the new updates.

I'd call him a sadistic, hippophilic necrophile, but that would be beating a dead horse.
[Sep 20, 2007 10:19:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jjw

Thanks Mullins! I MAA'd for Lee today for my first time, and this helped A LOT!
Lamora

Managing to stay away from the game, but still a bit addicted to Parley.
[Sep 22, 2007 10:01:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AlfMason

And edited again, hope I can take out that edit again, if OOO implement some minor changes that make things more manageable.

[Sep 28, 2007 8:46:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tlz_allen

Just as an aside, to anyone who MIGHT be thinking that ignoring challenges is a good idea, I submit my tale of woe entitled, "Dude! Where's my ship!"
TlzAllen
Captain, The Dawntreaders
[Sep 28, 2007 9:01:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tlz_allen2 [Link]  Go to top 
AlfMason

As has been stated in the game documentation AND on the wiki. Sorry, Allen, but no sympathy there, you had the opportunity to find out what you were getting into.

However, ignoring individual challenges is by no means always bad. I haven't included it, because it's a touchy subject with some, and I try to give the points a majority can get behind. But here's my take:

1) While MAAing, I don't accept individual challenges, because 2-5 minutes of SF-vision can make me miss the point to start a fray, communication with my naver and various other things.

As MAA I will lead my volunteers in the large frays (read: "leading" as die first due to incompetence), so I can watch the fray, see if people leave to TH and all that jazz. But I have enough to watch and coordinate to choose not to afford the time for individual challenges, mass frays will sometimes have to do on bigger ships.

2) If I'm being a good, not so very puzzle-visioned jobber and look at the damage meters, I may decide that the dragoon challenging me can be left to the defenders. Say carp is at 60% and bilge has to keep dry to keep us going, I'll gladly give the defenders a little more work, doing my best to keep the ship mobile, than losing my sparkle and letting us get swamped. Sometimes you're more valuable on a station than in a 1-on-1

3) The lazy approach - designated defenders do not fight 1-on-1. If you allow yourself the luxury of having designated defenders, you want to have them there for every fray, 1-on-1 unchecks them without rechecking them, which makes things hard to manage for the MAA at times. Some people (not me) will therefore forbid their defenders to go 1-on-1.

This guide as I wrote it is intended for war frigates. It works for brigs too. Basically, with having to defend, you want a ship that allows lazers, i.e. has less available duty stations than max numbers. I haven't seen baghlahs out yet, and I don't really want to see them - they're my personal XO/MAA nightmare. Dhows aren't really that good either, but easier to handle due to smaller numbers.

The sloop calls for a special approach, and I think I have some idea.

1) on a sloop, your SFers should be hand-picked, no less than renowned, so they can beat their 1-on-1s reliably.

2) your best SFer will be MAA, and be your 1-man backup fray, taking fray dragoons on 1-on-1. If you get more than 1 battle-ready dragoon, have him pull someone off station, but mainly, they should deal with the dragoons that make it through the initial challenge.

3) If you can station/nav in multiship combat, you win big time. If you can't, you're looking at the following:

1 naver, 3 sailors (one MAA/defender, one to double on carp/bilge if damaged/challenged and defend in frays if you can't get out and have 2 battle-ready bots) , 1 carper, 1 bilger, 1 gunner (doubles on carp/bilge when damaged, not when challenged). On a sloop it's probably easiest to gear the times of intense shooting to damage, and having the guns silent for a while is something that has to happen at times

Be sure to compensate your station-hopper (3rd sailor) if the chest division goes against them in favor of the people sticking with one duty.

But generally, I'd say Atlantis is best taken on on brigs and frigs, and smaller ships have very small chances of really rocking.

[Sep 28, 2007 10:15:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Stickying this (temporarily) because it's useful.

A point from my personal experience, however: don't just automatically plank people leaving the fray without checking if they had a reason to do so...I left immediately on a recent Atlantis mission because the fray had ~25 defenders against 10 saboteurs, with some damage to the ship, and I was way more useful bilging. I explained in chat, but because anyone in a puzzle has very reduced chat visibility, the explanation may not have been seen.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Sep 29, 2007 12:34:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flamez911

Just a note: Leaving and re-entering is still a very effective strategy. Why? Because it sets all the dragoons to "Challenging" again. This means that they will be staggered when they get to Battle Ready, and that the navver can wait in the safe zone and tell everyone on the ship to volunteer. It should take about 3 frays to clean out 20-30 dragoons. (I tell my navver to go in when we go over 15, but they can go up more on the way back into the safe zone.)
-Flamer, reloaded.

Currently in the process of arising from the grave. Hope to see people around more :)
[Sep 29, 2007 1:15:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CashCarStar

Upon re-entry, clear dragoons and carp/bilge before bouncing in and out to get on the correct side. Jobbers don't like unexpectedly bouncing in and out, and it makes fighting the frays easier if people know they can actually get to fight them. Furthermore, your carpers won't have their sparklometers reset to stone cold, the way six/seven in-outs does. After fixing/clearing dragoons, announce to every one that you intent to enter Atlantis for the other side. It's just good to let people know things like that.
Festrunk - Viridian
[Sep 30, 2007 9:24:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
avengeer

I haven't seen baghlahs out yet, and I don't really want to see them - they're my personal XO/MAA nightmare......

......But generally, I'd say Atlantis is best taken on on brigs and frigs, and smaller ships have very small chances of really rocking.

I've seen (and been on, and done) many successful atlantis runs on Baghlahs and Dhows. 1k+items / jobber / hour looks pretty good for me for a 1st time atlantean runner :P
Avenger of Malachite
Ex-Avenger of Sage
Reynolds0000 wrote: 
This thread is now about coffee cake.

Luigi wrote: 
WHY CAN WE NOT ALL JUST BE FRIENDS!

[Oct 1, 2007 2:54:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AlfMason

The reason I'd advise against the use of baghlahs is the lack of lazers. With the ship's might, you're still likely to get 3 dragoons to fight off at a time, and to find 5-6 defenders to take them out, you're bound to leave one station undermanned. The extra buffer of lazers a brig adds to your defenders can be extremely useful.

[Oct 1, 2007 2:37:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jjw

Re: XOing and MAA strategy on Atlantis runs (Work in Progress) Reply to this Post

A ship I was on tonight was told to spike all one-on-one challenges. I hadn't heard of this before (and was somewhat chastised for it). Theories on whether this is a good idea or a bad one?
Lamora

Managing to stay away from the game, but still a bit addicted to Parley.
[Oct 3, 2007 7:53:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: XOing and MAA strategy on Atlantis runs (Work in Progress) Reply to this Post

This is my analysis on that so far.

I'm just asking even though this seems like an obviously bad idea, but what would happen if individual pirates just ignored the challenges? And what would happen if ALL the stations were already manned and no one accepted a challenge?

This is my current analysis of the dragoon situation. Obviously it's new, so it's highly likely at least part of it is wrong, and that I'll change it in the short term when I get better ideas. :-)

I'm going to ramble a bit so you'll follow my thinking, ask me if you need any clarification on any part of it.

So. The mechanics. When you decline a challenge or lose a challenge, the dragoon goes immediately to sabotaging a station. They sabotage it while you're working on it - it appears to cut off part of your score on your indicator (people have reported, and once I had, their/my sparkly turn into an excellent indicator instead). So if all stations are manned, presumably they would sabotage a manned station. For sails, it'll hit you if they happen to sabotage your best sailors; if it's the worst, it's irrelevant. For carp and bilge you will feel a reduction in performance, even if fully manned (see Solid's XO data on how ships work).

My current analysis is that individual challenges give you a shot at immediately clearly a portion of the dragoons, seems to be about 40% of them on my runs, on a one on one challenge. That reduces the number that has to be defeated in frays by 40%, thereby freeing up a number of people equaly to 40% of the dragoons times whatever multiplier you're using on number of defenders.

So using real numbers and calculating out what would happen with no challenges accepted on my frigs. I go into the frays with 10 dragoons to 15 people. I usually see a 40% success rate on individual challenges. So those 10 dragoons represent 60% of the goons who boarded, so we had 17 goons on board with 7 defeated individually before the fray. To clear the goons took 17 individual sfs (which are faster than a fray) plus 15 fray sfs. We've also tied up those dragoons on board for the amount of time the individual sf took before they started to sabotage anything, and prevented 40% of the dragoons from sabotaging the ship at all.

Without the challenges, it would be 0 individual sfs, immediate sabotage, and all dragoons immediately battle ready. That means we've got 17 dragoons to fight in the fray, requiring at my 50% ratio 26 fray sfs, which are slower and longer.

In the time you deal with the dragoons on my ships, generally the same number of goons have become battle ready. This means if you lose with challenges, you will need to defeat a fray of 20 and want to say outnumber by 60% defenders to ensure a win, tying up 32 people on your ship. If you lose a second time, you'll have about 45 goons on board, and time for a stalling third sf while you head for the exit to clear them.

With no challenges, you've got 17 goons in the first fight. If you lose,the same number get added while you're fighting, so you'll have about 34. To get a 60% ratio to try to win, you need 55 real people - leaving a total of 20 people to try to keep the frig afloat and running while you have an even longer fray due to the added numbers. Lose that, and you're quickly approaching the number of dragoons where they try to overrun your ship and force an all-hands sf (I don't know the exact boundary of that number - for obvious reasons, I'm trying to never find out heh heh), which you would probably lose, since you've already lost it twice. You won't have enough people to stall a third sf while everyone else mans the ship to shore.

So, accepting all challenges provides a safety and timing margin, as well as preserving ship performance for longer. You can even risk getting into a fourth sf on the way to the safe zone if absolutely necessary under the accept all challenges scenario without risking being actually overrun.

Plus, on top of that, it's just fun to do lots of different things, and not fun to do the same thing over and over and over again, so letting people accept challenges helps prevent burnout of both the duty puzzlers, and of the defenders.

Sublime is shame.
[Oct 3, 2007 11:40:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rolld20

A ship I was on tonight was told to spike all one-on-one challenges. I hadn't heard of this before (and was somewhat chastised for it). Theories on whether this is a good idea or a bad one?

My CO's usually tell people to refuse challenges *unless they think they can handle it*.
If someone is Able SF/Master+ Duty, it is detrimental for them to waste valuable puzzle time on a SF they will probably lose.
A more skilled fighter might enjoy the occasional challenge to break the monotony of duty-puzzling, and if they win 50+% of the time, I say they should go for it. With the MAA's permission, of course. :)
Greyrat of Viridian
-------------

"The server is under heavy load due to calculating exactly how big of an idiot you are"

[Oct 4, 2007 7:21:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

If someone is Able SF/Master+ Duty, it is detrimental for them to waste valuable puzzle time on a SF they will probably lose.

What if it's fun for them to play a dragoon challenge, and the ship has enough bodies that it can backfill the duty station?

Sublime is shame.
[Oct 4, 2007 11:22:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rolld20

True, Sweetness. :)
Having fun overrides other considerations, so long as the fun of others is not impaired. :D
Greyrat of Viridian
-------------

[Oct 4, 2007 1:07:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tulcia

Not sure, maybe someone said that... but I think there should be something like...

<Name> ignored/declined challenge from <sea food>

I'm always tellin them to "Accept ALL challenges", but for some people it's just bla bla bla talkin. I wish I could see who's ignoring/declining.

Good idea is... maybe only Officers and up could see who's leaving station (and what station). Because I know that when TH button comes... people leaves like crazy, and I'm more than sure that people won't see even if I will shout 10 times to stop THing.

And IF there could be some blockade for that darn TH button... *dreaming*. Dunno why, but people loves to sabotage the ship (sure, this is not their crews/own ship) with that TH thing - then no matter what damage, how many goons... Same thing with frays and leaving them for TH.

Also - If I can order someone to be MaA.. why I can't order someone to defend the ship? Then even if in "puzzle vision"... people can see it.
Just Elennka

Hypnos says, "I got my money! Screw you guys, I'm going home!"
[Oct 4, 2007 8:26:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

Wow, I just XOed on a Flotilla, not a Atlantis, but wow. it is hard. What do you do if the majority of the ship is TH-ing, and no one is listening? And if you start planking, it is the people who were just about to go out of it, then they start cussing at you?

Game over. Winner: Expel.
Antix says, "Expel just pikachu'd the charizard out of him"
Antix says, "Nice one"
Expel says, "Super effective"

Chimeravirus of Viridian.
[Dec 28, 2007 3:38:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Atlantis XOing is a million times harder than flotilla. The key to the TH problem seems to be nipping it in the bud the first time it arises. Tell people what the rules will be before you enter, remind them when it's about to come up, then plank the first person to thaul without permission - that tends to smarten them up pretty quickly. If it's a crisis where that's not working, get the nav to move out of the treasure haul zone so you can get attention back to the chat screen, and start over.

Sublime is shame.
[Dec 28, 2007 3:42:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dougerarg

I could not agree more with the bit about how XOs should treat their jobbers well adn not create a bad atmosphere. It's really true! Everytime I do that my jobbers tend to stay longer- meaning I can hang out in Atlantis longer without rejobbing- not to mention they seem to work harder.
Scervy of Hunter
Omnis on Sage

Retired YPP player. Miss all my old pals from long ago
[Jan 20, 2008 10:21:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shaimus

While it might seem odd

When you want to TH try using the general command button

"The captain wants more pirates to Treasure Haul"

It will more than likely get you a small laugh and happier jobbers who are more use to seeing the opposite
Shaimus on All Oceans, but mainly Sage

RogueOM Squad - Wiki links - Makes it easier for me as well
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Rogue_OM_Squad_VII_Neapolitan
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/roms/index.php?mforum=roms
[Jan 21, 2008 8:03:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 105   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates