• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7597 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
Cephalopod
Developer

Treasure Haul or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Chain Reply to this Post

In light of the increased attention to treasure haul with Atlantis, I'd like to share a little bit of strategy for treasure haul. I've heard lots of people saying how treasure haul is just like bilge, only rotated. While that's mostly true for the mechanics, that's not true for the scoring. Similarly, seeing requests for a performance indicator like other duty puzzles makes me believe people are still thinking of it too much like bilge.

There are three performance indicators in the game already. If the pile of gold behind you is growing, your pirate is merrily pulling on the ropes, and coins are flying up the screen, you're doing well. Combos are far less important than they are in bilge; if you spend fifteen seconds working out how to make a sea donkey, that's fifteen seconds that you haven't spent getting more coins.

Similarly, if there are treasure chests on the board, I encourage you strongly to focus your attention on those. As some folks in the Atlantis discussion threads are realizing, those can be extremely lucrative, potentially more so than all of the regular pieces of eight hauled from a shipwreck.

So that's my advice to a new pirate setting out to sea: when hauling, keep moving, and always try to get any chests you see.
[Sep 6, 2007 2:19:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Re: Treasure Haul or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Chain Reply to this Post

So spending 15 seconds to bring one coin up the board to clear a chest is better than spending that 15 seconds on a combo? Or should that 15 seconds be spent making other clears until you have a closer coin to make the chest-clearing combo?
----------------------------------------
Jolyma

[Sep 6, 2007 2:23:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer

Re: Treasure Haul or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Chain Reply to this Post

So spending 15 seconds to bring one coin up the board to clear a chest is better than spending that 15 seconds on a combo?

When that chest likely contains hundreds, if not thousands of pieces of eight and/or items (including, potentially, rare/exclusive items)? I would think so.
[Sep 6, 2007 2:37:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sprngweather

Are there any scoring benefits to clearing the chest?
Sprngweather & Picory
[Sep 6, 2007 4:19:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Are there any scoring benefits to clearing the chest?

Latest Release Notes wrote: 
Improved graphics and scoring for clearing a chest in treasure haul.

-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Sep 6, 2007 4:22:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

With all of the other duty puzzles, getting one move in every 8 seconds or so is enough to avoid any penalty, and get you scored only on the effect of what you actually do. I.e, in bilge, moves that score (just an example)
7, 3, 0, 12, 3, 0, 0, 27

Means you scored 42 points in 8 moves, for an efficiency of just over 5 points a turn. In 64 seconds.

In TH, does "Efficiency" count for anything, or is it just "Total" -- so that rather than "5 points per turn", we should be thinking "less than one point per second".
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Sep 6, 2007 8:17:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I can't find it now but I have a screenie of me with a huge pile of coins and a grin and the duty report came up as booched. So now I have started randomly clicking as fast as possible without worrying about clearing something every turn and I have done much better. Seriously, I don't even look at the board unless I am trying for a chest. I usually get 'goods' this way.
Pletoo of Sage
[Sep 6, 2007 11:42:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Burnt_Water

To add, store at least one red gem at the top for the chest. It's likely that you will need to clear one more coin above a chest.

Green gems tend to be very tricky to clear pieces above the chest.

I'll try to get a screen shot example of a problematic clear.
Hard and big guide to whack off Brigands
How to make a pirate feel good
[Sep 7, 2007 12:09:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Bored en route? Bring a book or puzzle next time. [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

<3
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Sep 7, 2007 10:25:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yoved08

thanks for the tips..

love the thread title, too, btw..

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.."
Yoved
Captain of These Go To Eleven

Arielmac made my avatar :)
[Sep 7, 2007 11:26:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

*bump*

Does the efficiency of clearing combos affect what types of chests you get? I tried focusing on that today above clearing quickly, and it seemed that I was getting more locks on my chests. Was this coincidence, or me finally having something click?
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Mar 15, 2009 1:25:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UreMama

yo ceph how much does the fact that your ship supposedly hauls the treasure faster if you're sitting directly on top of the rock actually matter? I have tested and tested and with a wf i havent noticed a difference in the amount of turns it takes to haul something based on where im sitting to it. Mind clarifying this as it was you that created that blast doc? Also i got my silver citadel at 64 wins and we both know that isnt the magic number. Mind telling me why i was awarded that trophy 14-24 wins later than i should have been? Just a little curious on both of those, thanks for your time mate
Kory on all oceans, but specifically Viridian
[Mar 16, 2009 11:31:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates