• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7620 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
Gotagota

Can't logon! Reply to this Post

Some may count this a blessing, but to those I remind that if I can't logon, I'll likely post more!

I'm getting the message, "Logon failed. An error occurred connecting to the server. Your client may be out of date. Please try quitting and restarting." Is this the normal maintenance message? I seem to remember getting a different message the last time I tried to get in during maintenence. And I had just logged in less than five minutes before (some mysterious beastie was eating all the cycles on my pc. made everything run v e r y s l o w l y.).

Edit: Now I'm in! hooray!
----------------------------------------
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jun 26, 2003 2:25:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Re: Can't logon! Reply to this Post

[curses]

[lots and lots of curses]

[more curses, of your choice]

[nonspecific curses, cause we don't want to offend or hurt anyone. It's probably not anyone's fault.]

Anyway, I'm getting that very same message again. Six restarts and several other home remedies later I still can't get in. I was in the middle of something!!! <grin>

Anyway, just a heads up. I'll probably complain again if I still can't get in in the morning. Giving up for tonight.
Fronsac, human.

[Jul 4, 2003 3:37:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CaptainKeen

I had that too.

I reinstalled Java (http://www.java.com)
If you can't deinstall it try this :

After uninstalling the Java Plug-in, how to remove its listing in Add/Remove Programs

This article applies to the following product(s): J2SDK 1.3.x and later versions.

This article applies to the following platforms(s): All Windows platforms (ME, 98, NT, 2000, XP)

SYMPTOMS

After uninstalling the Java 2 SDK or JRE, the Java 2 SDK or JRE is still visible in the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel.

CAUSE

When 1.4.1_0x J2SDK or JRE is uninstalled, after performing a upgrade against older versions of JRE/J2SDK, registry entries are sometimes not removed from the registry by the uninstaller program.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/
Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall/(<Java 2 clsid key>)
Since these registry keys are not removed from the Windows registry, the Java 2 J2SDK or JRE is still visible in the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel.

SOLUTION

Users can delete stale registry keys, which include their Value Names and Value Data.

Here is how you can remove stale Java Plug-in registry entries.

Run the Windows Registry Editor by clicking Start->Run and entering the program name "regedit" in the Open edit field.
Navigate to the following registry node:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/
Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall

Under this "Uninstall" node, you will find many registry entry names enclosed in curly braces. e.g. {B7915B05-FC28-11D6-9D24-00010240CE95}
You can find registry keys for older versions of Java through a search for key values. The Java registry key will have a Value Name - DisplayName that has Value Data

Java 2.
e.g. "Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.1_02". The following image displays a registry entry for "Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.1_02".
Delete the registry entry found for Java, by right clicking on the registry key name, and selecting Delete.

Click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete message box.
You can find the uninstall folder for Java in the C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information folder. You can also delete the uninstall folder. This folder name has the following format:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{<Java 2 clsid key>}, where the <Java 2 clsid key> has the same value as the registry key found in step #4.

The C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information folder is a hidden folder. In order to view this folder in Windows Explorer, you can select the Show hidden files and folders option in the Folder Options screen, accessed by clicking on Tools from any Windows Explorer program.

The Folder Options screen is accessed by selecting the Tools->Folder Options menu inside Windows Explorer. here is an example of a typical Folder Option configuration screen:

After that it worked for me. I hope I helped you... kinda...
[Jul 4, 2003 8:35:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Reinstalling Java did not work.

On a lighter note: The amount of frustration evident in my above post reflects not just my inability to play this game I obviously love, but the loss of a similar post, full of much more wit and verve, funnier in every possible way...lost due to the fact that the POS mouse on this machine seems to think it would be funny to reset itself to a random corner at its whims, and this time just so happened to be while I was clicking the "Submit Post" button, instead it resets to the "Close Program" button! Yaaaarrrrrggghhhh!
Fronsac, human.

[Jul 5, 2003 2:15:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CaptainKeen

Try deleting the yohoho folder (Should be named ".yohoho") and clear java's cache.
[Jul 5, 2003 2:40:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Reinstalled. Cleared cache. Restarted. argh.

No luck.
Fronsac, human.

[Jul 5, 2003 4:51:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CaptainKeen

Funny.... I have the same problem again and I dunno how to fix it x.x
[Jul 5, 2003 5:05:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

My useless experience...not worth reading Reply to this Post

I've had that once or twice and it seemed to fix itself, which is no help to man nor beast I know. I didn't do anything (after rebooting the puter didn't work), and it just started working again a few hours later (may have been sooner; but I took the enforced downtime to actually do some study).
[Jul 5, 2003 5:53:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
Re: My useless experience...not worth reading Reply to this Post

stevoid wrote: 
but I took the enforced downtime to actually do some study).

Good idea, English exam this thursday.
[Jul 5, 2003 6:22:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Not really an update, but my internet went out yesterday, too (woohoo. really. I leave the house for three hours and what do I come back to?) but I've used (and potentially will be using) this time to play the fortunately-timed beta release of Diablo II 1.10. ha.

waaay better'n studyin'.

PS: New release? Still nothin'. Same message.

Installed newest JRE. cleared cache. Can't even connect to the server! I tried to get in with the wrong password but it returns the same message as above...

second edit: Got in! If I can verify my theory I or cleaver will make a mention. hooray!
Fronsac, human.

[Jul 6, 2003 12:59:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jethro

I now have this problem. I'm thinking it's a networking problem, because I made a fresh install of the game on a different computer on my home network and got the exact same problem. For the record I'm running XP.

Are there any other ports used by the game for any reason at all? Also, what is the IP of the server so I can do a tracerout and see if there's a problem there.
Jethro - Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
Jethykins - Cook of the Salty Mouthfuls and certainly not Jethro in drag. Oh no. Not at all. Nope.
[Jul 25, 2003 8:33:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JGulner [Link]  Go to top 
Jethro

Now I'm quite certain it's a network problem, more specifically a DNS problem. Using the web start console I see that the client is trying to talk to azure3.puzzlepirates.com, yet I cannot ping said server. Could someone give me an IP to put in my hosts file?

Nevermind, I found it. Weird. I can resolve www. and azure2. but azure3 won't resolve, despite being pingable with just the IP.
Jethykins - Cook of the Salty Mouthfuls and certainly not Jethro in drag. Oh no. Not at all. Nope.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jethro at Jul 25, 2003 9:09:21 AM]
[Jul 25, 2003 9:09:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JGulner [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

I think the server just went down for a reboot. Try again later.

Edit: And it appears to be responding now. The IP is 64.95.126.131
[Jul 25, 2003 9:13:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Jethro

Hosts file fixed it. Weird that the DNS entry disappeared from my ISP.
[Jul 25, 2003 9:37:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JGulner [Link]  Go to top 
Jethro

I'm bumping this to say that if you get this error, the first thing you should do is check to see if you can ping 64.95.126.131. If that doesn't work, either the server is down or there's a network outage somewhere between your computer and the server.

The next thing you should do is ping azure3.puzzlepirates.com. If that doesn't work, but pinging by the address did work, there is a DNS error. You need to fix this by putting an entry in your hosts file or through whatever other means you have available.

If both those things work THEN it is likely a problem with the game itself.
[Jul 26, 2003 4:27:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JGulner [Link]  Go to top 
gahris

""The next thing you should do is ping azure3.puzzlepirates.com. If that doesn't work, but pinging by the address did work, there is a DNS error. You need to fix this by putting an entry in your hosts file or through whatever other means you have available. ""

What type of entry into what file?
Worship your evil moogle master you insolent fools! ¬_¬
[Jul 26, 2003 4:40:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jethro

There is a file somewhere in your Windows directory called "hosts" It has no file extension. If you are running XP it should be under system32\drivers\ets. If it isn't there do a search for it on your computer. Once you find it, open it up in notepad, and type in "64.95.126.131 azure3.puzzlepirates.com" without the quotes. This will tell your computer that that address points to that server.
[Jul 26, 2003 7:37:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JGulner [Link]  Go to top 
subanark

I don't get any error message, the client just tries to log in and never does.
[Jul 26, 2003 9:14:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pye

Thanks Jethro. I was having the same problem and did exactly as you suggested. It works now. Yarr!
Pye
Senior Officer and Bilge Rat for the Mad Mutineers
[Jul 26, 2003 9:55:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
junbug178

I got this message just now, wondering if this is being corrected or is the maintainence done yet, thanks.

[Jul 26, 2003 10:22:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    junbug178    junbug178 [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

New release. Hooray!
Fronsac, human.

[Jul 26, 2003 10:29:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bigbra

i did all this and i keep getting the same error message.
Captain Ba of the Burlap Lemurs
King of the flag Vigilante
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bigbra at Jul 28, 2003 11:17:27 AM]
[Jul 28, 2003 11:17:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.burlaplemurs.netfirms.com [Link]  Go to top 
bigbra

ok i jsut reinstalled java, cleared java cache, did all that pinging stuff jethro said to do (maybe i did it wrong) but i STILL get that message. what else can i do?
[Jul 28, 2003 2:28:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.burlaplemurs.netfirms.com [Link]  Go to top 
bigbra

anyone? ive been trying fr 3 daysand it still isnt working!
[Jul 29, 2003 3:52:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.burlaplemurs.netfirms.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Which error message are you getting?
[Jul 29, 2003 5:21:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bigbra

same on as gotagota had

"Logon failed. An error occurred connecting to the server. Your client may be out of date. Please try quitting and restarting."
[Jul 29, 2003 5:22:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.burlaplemurs.netfirms.com [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

You get this message if the client attempts to connect to the server and manages to connect, but fails to communicate with the server after connecting.
Apparently, this usually occurs because of trying to connect right after we restart the server. If it's happening to you all the time, then it could be a client server mismatch, although that's unlikely. When you reinstalled Java did you also reinstall our client?
[Jul 29, 2003 5:37:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bigbra

ya i reinstalled it twice...still getting same problem.
[Jul 29, 2003 10:56:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.burlaplemurs.netfirms.com [Link]  Go to top 
Turk

I have this issue too- I've tried uninstalling both java and PP and reinstalling them, and editing the hosts file, but to no avail.
[Jul 29, 2003 2:03:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

This is perplexing, but you can send us some information that may help to determine the cause of the problem:

Open the "Java Web Start" application. If you installed Java directly, this will be on your start menu and/or on your desktop. If you used our custom installer, you will need to go into Program Files\Yohoho\java\javaws and run the program called 'javaws'.

Therein, select the File -> Preferences menu. Click the "Advanced" tab and check the box that says "Show Java Console". Then try running Yohoho! again and it will show a console window in addition to the main game window. Try logging on and the console window will log more detailed information about why it was unable to connect.

Copy the entire contents of that console window into an email to bugs@threerings.net and we'll see what we can do.

Sorry about yer troubles mates. Arr!
[Jul 30, 2003 2:37:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates