• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 223
Posts: 223   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 39893 times and has 222 replies Next Thread
Shandra

U Giv Doll - Part 2! - All winners posted!! Reply to this Post

Hairy cow! Its been a year!! Ok you doll hounds, get ready fer round 2.

Remember this?

U Giv Doll

Good! Lets get into part 2! There be 6 mates on my list that either didn't participate in the first one, or weren't here yet; so I hunted them down and begged them to join up for the fun. The rules are generally the same, only the names have changed.

Who is participating?!?! Aphrodite, Demeter, Endymion, Hephaestus, Hermes, and Thalia.

Refresher:
Create a doll or dolls depicting one of the listed Ocean Masters and show them off! You may use *almost* any medium or method ye like to create yer doll. Here are some method suggestions: Mold it, sew it, build it, bake it, sculpt it, carve it, glue it *gasps for air* weave it, knit it, crochet it - you get the idea! I want all of these representations to be 3D objects! If you are not sure if a medium is acceptable, ask!
Not sure what to model your doll after? OM doll trinkets, portraits, or those cute little in-game piratey figures. (You might have to check other oceans, the forums, or YPPedia to find them.) Don't send the OMs petitions or tells asking what they look like or for information about their favorite colors! There were many wonderful dolls made for the first U Giv Doll, check them out!

Rules:
1. Make a doll representing one of the listed OMs. - You can NOT buy a doll and just dress it up - you actually have to make it!
2. If yer doll is going to have clothes on, you gotta make them. No store-bought doll clothes allowed! If yer doll will be without clothing it must be 100% gender neutral. (I really don't want to see dolls with butt cracks or *other* body parts.)
3. Take pictures! I want to see in-progress pictures as well as the final product. When taking your pictures put a piece of paper or an index card in the picture with your pirate name on it. (2 or 3 in-progress and at least 2 final product pictures please.)
4. Submit your pictures along with a list of 'ingredients' used. If you make a Hermes doll out of an old sock stuffed with beans, I want to know what kind of beans! All entries must be submitted to the entry thread. *Specific submission guidelines are listed below*
5. Yes, you can make more than one doll - HOWEVER - they have to be different. You can not make one doll, dress it up differently, and enter it multiple times. I want noticeable differences in the dolls themselves.
6. If you make more than one, submit them as separate entries. Each entry you make has a chance at winning.
7. There is no size limit on the dolls. Just be sure if it is itty bitty we can see it clearly in the pictures. If it is life size - other than being kinda creepy - hold that doll up and stand with it!
8. Taco's evil eye has spotted some pictures on the forums of dolls some mates have made for other events or for posterity - these are not allowed to be entered into this event.
9. Before any of you take a notion to it, NO Voodoo style dolls allowed.
10. Do NOT flood the Ocean Masters with questions regarding this event. If you have a question, post it to this thread. If I don't have or know the answer, I will find it. Do NOT send the participating OMs the pictures for your entry. Once I close this event I will send them all a PM or email linking all entries depicting them.
11. All entries must be submitted by 12 PM (noon) PDT on the 30th of September!

Entry Thread

Judging:
The judging will be done by the OMs themselves.

Prizes:
The prizes awarded will be up to the participating members. Generally they will all be awarding doll trinkets. Some of them may award more than one, or reach deep into their magik prize bags and come up with some other fancy prizes. In some situations they might not award a prize at all.. ie - Let's say only one person creates a Demeter doll - odds are that person won't get a prize for it (unless of course Demeter thinks it's really great.) However unlikely, all of them do maintain the right to decline awarding doll trinkets. Do not abuse them or me if this ends up being the case.

What to do with those dolls once this is over? Well, if you want - and this is purely optional - you can mail your doll or dolls to the Three Rings San Francisco office so they can display some of them there. Which ones get displayed will of course be up to those that have to look at them every day. Fair Warning: If you mail your doll to the office, they will not return it to you. Please wait until judging is complete to mail your dolls!

San Francisco office address:
Three Rings Design
612 Howard Street #500
San Francisco, CA 94105

Posting your entry's -
So we don't break the forums or make it impossible for those with slower connections to load, when you post your entry, post links only to your in-progress pictures, and only one actual image of your final product - link any other final product pictures you have. Size the posted picture so it is no larger than 500x500 pixels. Feel free to link any and all pictures of your project you want. Be sure to include your pirate name and ocean of preference in case ye win!

Example:
Random Pirate makes a doll and takes 10 in-progress pictures and 5 of the finished product. His entry will have 14 links and only one actual image.
-Make sure your links work! Use the edit button to fix any errors instead of trying to repost!

If you do not know how to post pictures or links to pictures, send me a PM, I will be happy to guide you through the process.

If for some reason your forum account is broken and you can not post your own entry, send me an email at frogtacos@hotmail.com - title your email Doll Event (or I will trash it) and we can discuss your problems there. If need be, I will post your entry for you. Do NOT wait until the last minute!! I will not respond to emails received within the last 48 hours of this event. Do NOT send/email/PM your entries to the OMs!

Any and all questions regarding this event need to be asked in this thread, once again, do NOT contact the OMs about this event, they already know about it.

Good luck and get busy!

WINNERS!!
Aphrodite's List
Hermes' List
Thalia's List
Demeter's List
Endymion's List
Hephaestus' List
----------------------------------------
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 21 times, last edit by Shandra at Oct 29, 2007 3:38:57 AM]
[Aug 29, 2007 9:27:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Re: U Giv Doll - Part 2! Reply to this Post

Awesome! I was just (as in about 10 minutes ago :p) thinking about making some more, and maybe even trying to make a female puppet or two.

YAY for sequels!

Hmmm only 6 choices, eh? No Bungleton or other devs?

I do know who my first doll will be :D
Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Aug 29, 2007 9:37:41 AM]
[Aug 29, 2007 9:33:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittycool

Yay!
Although I missed the first one, I found out about it ages ago and I was annoyed I hadn't joined a little earlier =P
Kittyocool on Hunter
[Aug 29, 2007 9:47:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Questions:
Since I have made quite a few puppets in the past, as well as multiple outfits, and even was able to photo-edit some for other things, what should I do this time around to show that they are indeed new puppets and not remakes of the previous ones? This batch will certainly be smaller than my previous ones (probably 12-14 inches compared to around 20 inches.) I will also note that I no longer have access to the photo editor that allowed me to adjust colors and nicely crop images (which I used when making the Hermes comic puppets.)

Also, for those that have multiple portraits (and even those who don't) could we maybe get a list of favorite colors? Looking at the portraits, I remember why I never made any female puppets last year - not only are the hairstyles tough but all those off-the-shoulder outfits look really tricky because I have yet to figure out how to make nice shoulders.
Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 29, 2007 10:44:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

... all those off-the-shoulder outfits look really tricky because I have yet to figure out how to make nice shoulders.

Slap an octo on 'em? ;D
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Aug 29, 2007 10:53:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
monkeyspy

Am I just blind from old age or was there not a deadline posted to this? For the record, I LOVE this event.
Bubonic on the Emerald Ocean

Fallen says, "I want children to use electrified keyboards. Not using real words? Electric shock! For science!Complete sentence? Have some candy you little bastard."
[Aug 29, 2007 11:03:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lauttus

..... 11. All entries must be submitted by 12 PM (noon) PDT on the 30th of September!

You are blind :P
Fizz - SO in The Phoenix Warriors and Lady of Tyr's Own of Midnight Ocean
---
Skyelanis from Midnight wrote wrote: 
Anything for you Fizz.
---
Avatar by myself --- here's lookin at you, kid.
[Aug 29, 2007 11:07:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Wait......Taco is briefly out of retirement for this???? SQUEEE.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Aug 29, 2007 11:14:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zandia

I absolutely love this!!! U Giv Dolls was the first ever event I participated in as a new pirate, and it will be great to celebrate my one year anniversery by participating in this one.
Teh Eighth
[Aug 29, 2007 11:19:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Llamaluver

Now, THIS is my kind of event....... Aphrodite, you know i've been waiting for this......... Well done, Taco..... You have officially caused me to cancel all my weekend plans......
Llamagirl on Hunter
Beautiful avatar by Albini!

You told Cronus, "So, what kinda snacks you got?"
Cronus tells you, "Small children"
Cronus tells you, "Sometimes coated in chocolate."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Llamaluver at Aug 29, 2007 12:38:49 PM]
[Aug 29, 2007 12:15:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/no1_llama_luver [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Questions:
Since I have made quite a few puppets in the past, as well as multiple outfits, and even was able to photo-edit some for other things, what should I do this time around to show that they are indeed new puppets and not remakes of the previous ones?
I trust you. You worked extra hard on the first batch of dolls and posted more than enough pictures showing complete sets so I have no reason to believe you would start to cheat now.

Also, for those that have multiple portraits (and even those who don't) could we maybe get a list of favorite colors?
Unfortunately, no. You just have to wing it. I recommend scanning through the threads where they have had avatar contests and see if you can find something out. Or even a bit of strategic stalking if/when you can catch them online to catch a peek at what they are wearing.

As far as off the shoulder difficulties, you made fabulous dolls so far which have far exceeded anything I am capable of so I have faith you can achieve anything when it comes to these little stuffed Gods.

As far as Bungleton is concerned, Hermes did mention him some time ago and I totally dropped the ball on hunting him down and inviting him to this event. Let me see what I can do.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at Aug 29, 2007 12:56:05 PM]
[Aug 29, 2007 12:51:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaLassey

Good! Lets get into part 2! There be 6 mates on my list that either didn't participate in the first one, or weren't here yet; so I hunted them down and begged them to join up for the fun. The rules are generally the same, only the names have changed.

I loved the first one! (Unfortunately I missed it...so I'm VERY happy you are doing a second!) I'll try to see if I can fit a doll (or two) in. /e Keeps fingers crossed that she will have the time.

Thanks again for re-doing it,

SeaLassey
ERG! I'm a pirate!!!!
[Aug 29, 2007 8:02:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

So, you said that there were six new OM's participating, does that mean that all of the ones from the last U Giv Doll will be in this one in addition? Or are we just getting to pick from the new six?
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Aug 29, 2007 8:25:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Is there any option for those of us in the dark ages, with no digital camera to use and post photos from?
Jolyma

[Aug 29, 2007 9:04:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Is there any option for those of us in the dark ages, with no digital camera to use and post photos from?
Regular cameras? Even a polaroid will do if you're near a place that can scan them, such as a Kinko's. Most photo developing services offer the option to have your photos on CD now, as well. Just a little more expensive, that's all =(
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Aug 29, 2007 9:09:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

So, you said that there were six new OM's participating, does that mean that all of the ones from the last U Giv Doll will be in this one in addition? Or are we just getting to pick from the new six?
Just the ones on the list this time around.

As far as no digital capabilities, Muroni is right. You can buy a one time use camera, take your pictures and have them put onto CD at the developers. This can all generally be done for less than $20 in the US.
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 29, 2007 9:24:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

you can even get a low-quality digital camera for $20 (US) or a webcam that takes still shots for even less (I got mine for $15)

oh yeah, and wheeeee! ^_^ the last contest looked like so much fun, I was sorry I missed it
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ddraigeneth at Aug 29, 2007 9:38:37 PM]
[Aug 29, 2007 9:37:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scm621

Demeter had an avatar of her as a centaur-type creature holding a harp...it looks like she just changed it in the past few days? Anyone have a copy of that old avvy image? I really would prefer if someone had it and could post it rather than having to go through all of my temp internet files to see if I can find it...
Searmin of the Midnight Ocean
Currently unaffiliated
[Aug 30, 2007 10:45:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Demeter had an avatar of her as a centaur-type creature holding a harp...it looks like she just changed it in the past few days? Anyone have a copy of that old avvy image? I really would prefer if someone had it and could post it rather than having to go through all of my temp internet files to see if I can find it...

I think it was her with a pony.

As I recall, it might well have been one of the winning entries in the Demeter Wants a Pony competition. Perhaps this is the one you're recalling. I seem to remember it was her av again fairly recently.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Talisker at Aug 30, 2007 11:32:04 AM]
[Aug 30, 2007 11:24:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scm621

I think it was her with a pony.

As I recall, it might well have been one of the winning entries in the Demeter Wants a Pony competition. Perhaps this is the one you're recalling. I seem to remember it was her av again fairly recently.

It is, I'm just apparently blind--or I don't look closely at the avs...thanks
Searmin of the Midnight Ocean
Currently unaffiliated
[Aug 30, 2007 12:32:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Questions:
Since I have made quite a few puppets in the past, as well as multiple outfits, and even was able to photo-edit some for other things, what should I do this time around to show that they are indeed new puppets and not remakes of the previous ones?
I trust you. You worked extra hard on the first batch of dolls and posted more than enough pictures showing complete sets so I have no reason to believe you would start to cheat now.

Thank you, I do take great pride in my work and cheating is far from my thoughts, I just wanted to be sure. I actually have a few new styles I would like to try anyway.

Also, for those that have multiple portraits (and even those who don't) could we maybe get a list of favorite colors?
Unfortunately, no. You just have to wing it. I recommend scanning through the threads where they have had avatar contests and see if you can find something out. Or even a bit of strategic stalking if/when you can catch them online to catch a peek at what they are wearing.
Hmmm...stalking is difficult to do, but winging it is something I am quite good at :D

As far as off the shoulder difficulties, you made fabulous dolls so far which have far exceeded anything I am capable of so I have faith you can achieve anything when it comes to these little stuffed Gods.
Thanks for the vote of confidence - I think I have come up with something that will work - we'll see.

As far as Bungleton is concerned, Hermes did mention him some time ago and I totally dropped the ball on hunting him down and inviting him to this event. Let me see what I can do.
I just think Bungleton has a fun name and it would be a neat way to welcome him, but there are actually quite a few Ringers not represented, so whatever is fair works for me :) (Actually I just looked at Bungleton's single portrait and that full red beard might prove to be my undoing anyway!)

Of course all of this is moot if I can't find my sewing machine manual. I picked up a new (to me at least) machine last month and now I can't remember how to thread it properly. All that I can remember was thinking it was odd when I did it before. I've looked everywhere that I can think of, to no avail (even tried an online search.) ARRRR!!
Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 30, 2007 1:50:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer

(Actually I just looked at Bungleton's single portrait and that full red beard might prove to be my undoing anyway!)

I'm pretty sure, actually, that he doesn't have a consistent appearance nailed down for himself yet. I think each ocean has some random male pirate with some random set of rags.
[Aug 30, 2007 2:00:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

Well Ceph, could you be kind and kindly poke him to get a good set portrait for people to recreate in doll fashion?
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Aug 30, 2007 2:18:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

(Actually I just looked at Bungleton's single portrait and that full red beard might prove to be my undoing anyway!)

I'm pretty sure, actually, that he doesn't have a consistent appearance nailed down for himself yet. I think each ocean has some random male pirate with some random set of rags.

Ah so you're saying we should have a design Bungleton contest? :P

Of course I am way ahead of myself here as he isn't even listed as a participant and I may be sewing by hand <grumble>
Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 30, 2007 2:21:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I am still working on Bungleton, I will change the event title in some way if I do in fact add him or anyone else to the list. Keep your fingers crossed!
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 30, 2007 2:31:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Oh my Taco - I've just been given a heads up for this event.

I might just have to come out of semi-retirement for this one :-)
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Aug 30, 2007 11:27:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jennygalaxy

Wooooooo thankyou for doing another round of this event. I loved it last year I love it now!

Woooooooo!
Jennygalaxy, formally Cobalt, now Meridian Ocean.
[Aug 31, 2007 12:39:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jennylikesgalaxy [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Oh my Taco - I've just been given a heads up for this event.

I might just have to come out of semi-retirement for this one :-)

Hey, if I can come out of retirement so can you!
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 31, 2007 3:21:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jennygalaxy

I've finished my entry... now all I need is an entry thread..
Jennygalaxy, formally Cobalt, now Meridian Ocean.
[Aug 31, 2007 3:23:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jennylikesgalaxy [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I've finished my entry... now all I need is an entry thread..

Let me do that real quick...

.... done!!
The entry thread is linked in the main post and is in the Mariners Muse.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at Aug 31, 2007 3:40:46 AM]
[Aug 31, 2007 3:36:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 223   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates