• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 54
Posts: 54   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 69879 times and has 53 replies Next Thread
ivazquez

Re: Uni's Bilge Tutorial, (warning Ton o Pictures) Reply to this Post

tyroney wrote: 
Though when you referred to right places, you didn't say if those places were for instant donkeys, or 8-swap bingos, or lucky 5 extra bonuses after your initial swap/remove...

In all honesty I haven't yet figured that out. I find that a mixture of Donkies and 3+x4+ works fine, along with whatever combos you happen to get in between.
----------------------------------------
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Jul 26, 2004 8:38:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

I wrote this up the other week for my flag, and it's got some things I learned from various places on here, some from tells (thanks Tedv for putting up with a stupid greenie ;)). It has some other information I found useful, that I use to get incredibles (assuming my board doesn't hate me and spread everything out for the first 5 minutes).

Any suggestions would actually be appreciated :)
----------------------------

Okay. Here's a quick guide to bilging, and how to increase your skills some if you're having problems with it.

Basics:

Bilge is pumped by moving the same blocks together in rows (horizontal or vertical) into rows of three. Combos are done by clicking and making more than a single rows dissappear.

Differnent combos:

Each combo will have X's and O's representing 2 types of blocks (as you can only move 2 blocks). The combo will show where you click with small x's and o's.

3 piece removal:

X
xo
X

3x3

X
X
OOxo

3x4

X
oxOO
X
X

Or anything similar to that. These can be increased to 3x4's, 4x4's, 3x5's, 4x5's, etc etc.

Bingo (3x3x3)

O
O
XXox
X
X
or similar clicks.

Sea Donkey (3x3x3x3 to 3x4x4x3)

X
X
XXoxOO
O
O

Or

XO
XO
XXoxOO

Vegas (3x4x5x3 or 3x5x5x3)

XO
XO
XXoxOO
XO
XO

Scoring:

Scores are based on the number of 'clicks' you perform. Each time you click, you lose a click. Each time you remove pieces you gain a certain amount of clicks. here's a guide:

3 pieces only - worth 1 move
4 or 5 pieces only - worth 2 moves
3x3 - worth 3 moves
3x4 - worth 4 moves
3x5 - worth 4 moves
3x3x3 - worth 7 moves (Bingo)
3x3x5 - worth 9 moves (Bingo)
3x3x3xA - worth 11 moves *aprox (Sea Donkey)
3x3x4xA - worth 12 moves *aprox (Sea Donkey)
3x3x5xA - worth 14 moves *aprox (Sea Donkey)

Not sure how much vegases are worth but they're worth alot I can tell you that ;).

Time is a negative bonus. For every 10 seconds in the game, you lose 1 click. SO if you keep doing 3 click 3x3's you'll lose your pump down to a fine even though you should be staying 'even'.

Chains:

Chains are when you get rid of a row, the pieces move up, which clear out another row (or more). I believe each of these clears are worth 1 click.

Critters:

Critters do various things. Some good, some bad and good.

Crabs - These things can be annoying as hell. While underwater, they can't be moved. Once they get above the water line, they dissappear and give you a few clicks. With the bilge 'empty' (4 rows of water, there's always bilge that you can't get rid of), when a crab is cleared, you gain 1-2 clicks. As the water level rises, and you clear crabs, you get more clicks for it. If you clear more than one crab per move or combo (it'll say '2 Crabs Cleared' or how many you clear) you get bonus points.

Blowfish - They are neutral (worth one click). They clear out all spaces immediately around it. Once you click it, 9 pieces (including the fish) dissappear. Careful though. If you kill a crab with a blowfish, you don't get the crab's points.

Jellyfish - These guys are fun. They clear out every once of that type of piece you clicked it with. So if you have alot of one type of piece, and wanna see them all gone, swith the jellyfish with that piece and they all dissappear creating chains.

How to get Excellent/incredibles

In bilging, you dont' have to constantly perform Sea Donkies or Vegases to get incredible. Infact, both are pretty rare. The best way to get ahead of the game is to clear as many pieces as possible in as few moves as possible. 1-click 3x3's will get you goods and low excellents. To get increibles, you have to get 3x5's or better in 2 moves or less. A good way to get ahead is to get the basic bingo (3x3x3) in 5 moves or less, or a 3x3x4 or 5 bingo in 7 moves or less. Once you get your little pump in the bottom right hand corner pumping yellow/golden and sparkly, try for 1-2 click 3x3's and 3x4's to keep it there. You'll need a bingo thrown in once in awhile.

This is a basic bilge guide, this is from personal experience, and tips and tricks found on the YPP forums.

Links:
A Visual Guide (link to this post actually :P)
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Jul 27, 2004 12:55:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GageKronos

There was a bilging video, Sart's I think, that was posted a while back. I downloaded it and watched it, and it helped me out a great deal. After sitting at Legendary in the ocean for weeks I suddenly got an Ultimate rating in the ocean and 4th in Jet (I know...there's only 107 people in Jet but still...). I realized I was making too many moves to get the big combos, when all I had to do was slow down some, and try to find decent combos that don't take 4+ moves to set up.
~Gage
Pirate of A Crew of Our Own (Viridian)

A+ C P- LB-| GD+ !D Cp+ Bl+>++ Sa++ Gu++ SF+ N+ Bn>++ Dr+>++ R+ Al++ Sh B-(--) F++ Cl(++) Sp++ SpN+(++)/+
[Jul 27, 2004 2:26:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tyroney

Strange, just recently the pump and my rating started magically responding to my painful efforts. I guess the moral of the story is to keep trying.
[Aug 4, 2004 3:35:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.tyroney.com [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

I had that happen too, I just kind of became better.

Uni's diagrams helped me a lot too - it was good to see what a deliberate combo and bingo looked like. Don't quite grok how to make donkeys and vegases - yet. ;)
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Aug 5, 2004 12:45:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
toylotion

i was legendary with bilging now grandmaster :(
[Feb 26, 2006 11:31:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Practice more.

Faulkston,
it might not make perfect but practice is still worthwhile
[Feb 26, 2006 11:48:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

Practice makes babies.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Feb 26, 2006 12:08:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
timdctwo

I have yet to get a vegas in bilge but than again i don't bilge much; bilging is for the little cabin boys!

Since i can't log on with my other account in the forums,but well on th game (i know it's weird i already sent a bug report)Timdc.
Well vegas is (in my eyes) as simple as cow's wallop,i mean i live of me vegases and seadonkeys to get incredible(timdc is ultimatelost it though after a bit to much booze>_<)
why if ye would like to see a bilging session o mnie,i'll be glad to make one fer ye ;-)
[Jul 5, 2006 10:40:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
timdctwo

[quote
How to get Excellent/incredibles

In bilging, you dont' have to constantly perform Sea Donkies or Vegases to get incredible. Infact, both are pretty rare. [/quote]

Er,ain't entirely true mate an experienced bilger(like me)can get a way better duty report(always highest,except when i just woke up :-P)by doing nothing then racking up seadonkeys,vegasses and perfect vegasses,so really they ain't rare if ye know what are good possebilities to make vegases/seadonkeys ;-)
[Jul 5, 2006 10:46:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Different philosophies for different bilgers. Today I'm #6 bilger on Midnight (up from #8 yesterday) and in about two hours of bilging yesterday never once made a Sea Donkey or higher. Lots of incs on duty report, lots of bingos. (and some booched bingos too fer that matter)

if i spot a row that has 3+3, I'll see if I can build a Sea Donkey or higher, but I don't try to move pieces vertically to build a row that way.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Jul 6, 2006 4:33:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
timdctwo

hmm,I made a screenmovie showing me doing my normal stuff in bilge,
some might be suprised at how many seadonkeys and vegasses are beeing created by me ;-).

reason fer the first league score only good :-(:sluggish pc becuase o the screencatcher+first league don't always go incr directly with a crap board.

url: An ordinary bilging session

Demeter: Don't use that term.

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Demeter at Jul 11, 2006 8:35:37 AM]
[Jul 6, 2006 9:25:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Olko

I have yet to get a vegas in bilge but than again i don't bilge much; bilging is for the little cabin boys!

/me calls nikells

You should'nt talk like that because i have earn 5k in one trip when i was biliging the whole way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Mar 13, 2007 5:38:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Swordblade01

mind the 8 month bump...
Swordblade on Cobalt

"Think of it like a Twinkie. If you bite into the yellow part of a Twinkie and there is no white cream filling, it SUCKS!" -Ryan Higa

Dispite my forum join date, I joined aug 25 05
[Mar 13, 2007 5:52:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.freewebs.com/demonsatdusk [Link]  Go to top 
Capnjeky

Um... in the last one (and the several before it) - in the top right, there's a line of 3 that isn't disappeared!

lol i just noticed that how did u do that?
Hello, my name is Burndurn, I live on the Hunter Ocean, and I'm going to KICK YOUR BOOTY!!!
[May 19, 2007 10:38:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Emoxcore2

Nice :)
[Apr 5, 2009 6:24:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chaosrunner9

Nice bump >.>
[Apr 6, 2009 1:02:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Uni

Aye, there might be some unbroken lines, I did the shots in photoshop, not the game. (easier to do, and less booching of your rating). Nice resurrection of such an old thread.
[Apr 9, 2009 3:04:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cheriepiee

this is absolutely brilliant! thanks!
[Jun 3, 2009 3:54:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hizmet

How come all the move shots had the jellyfish and fishes in the same place. xD

But i must admire... Its Awesome!
Criman Of Meridian
[Jan 3, 2010 9:32:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maybell2

Its brilliant thanks :)
SO of New Italy

Member of Break Out

~Hunter~

[Jan 19, 2010 12:22:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sheslolapear

This should be very helpful for many players.
Thank ye for taking the time to put this up (:
~Pearls on the Hunter Ocean.

Signature: Darkforest and Patgangster are the happiest couple in YPP!
Patgangster says, "What no"
Darkforest says, "But I luf Pat. Oh no wait, I love toemoesh."
[Jul 18, 2010 9:56:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lordgigo

Thank MAN!!!! I love the VEGAS!!!!
http://knowthisfact.wordpress.com/

Check The Amazing Facts On This Blog.. Enjoy ;)
[Feb 3, 2011 7:01:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perenoel1

Uni's Bilge Tutorial.

Info about combo's
(how many moves a combo will keep yer pump at the same spot)
Ye of course want todo these in LESS than this.

3x3 - worth 3 moves
3x4 - worth 4 moves
3x5 - worth 4 moves
3x3x3 - worth 7 moves (Bingo)
3x3x5 - worth 9 moves (Bingo)
3x3x3xA - worth 11 moves *aprox (Sea Donkey)
3x3x4xA - worth 12 moves *aprox (Sea Donkey)
3x3x5xA - worth 14 moves *aprox (Sea Donkey)

This Isnt quite right so i just wanted to post a fix

This is the number of clicks for each break to remain at the excellent/incredible borderline

3 = 0.75
4 = 1
5 = 1.25
3x3 = 3
3x4 = 3.5
3x5 = 4
3x3x3 (Bingo) = 6
3x3x4 (Bingo) = 6.75
3x4x4 (Bingo) = 7.5
3x3x5 (Bingo) = 7.5
3x4x5 (Bingo) = 8.25
3x5x5 (Bingo) = 9
3x3x3x3 (Sea Donkey) = 20
3x3x3x4 (Sea Donkey) = 22
3x3x4x4 (Sea Donkey) = 24
3x3x3x5 (Vegas) = 36
3x3x4x5 (Vegas) = 39
3x3x5x5 (Vegas) = 42
Tzz Made of Fail on Midnight
Tzz's Ultimate puzzle Guide
[Mar 5, 2011 1:47:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 54   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates